S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old January 16th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #1
bigred875

Default Any active RI/MA skaters here?

Roll call?? I'm looking to see where all the cool kids skate in my area!

I'm in Lincoln, RI
bigred875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:16 AM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Small world Ryan. I used to do group rides with you to Susie-Qs in Scituate almost a decade ago when you had the Kawi Z-1000, if memory serves me.

I've been a skater most of my life. Mostly inline speed skating now, but I do have a couple of pairs of quads.

If you're looking for the best adult night, you'll have to hike up to Skateland in Haverhill, MA on Thursday evenings. There aren't any rinks local to us (I'm in Blackstone). You have to drive at least 30 minutes, unless you want to count United Skates of America in Rumford, RI. Their sessions are listed as 14 & under and adults, telling me that they've had issues with teenagers. It's an odd rink, shaped like a track, with the concessions and games on the center.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #3
bigred875

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Small world Ryan. I used to do group rides with you to Susie-Qs in Scituate almost a decade ago when you had the Kawi Z-1000, if memory serves me.

I've been a skater most of my life. Mostly inline speed skating now, but I do have a couple of pairs of quads.

If you're looking for the best adult night, you'll have to hike up to Skateland in Haverhill, MA on Thursday evenings. There aren't any rinks local to us (I'm in Blackstone). You have to drive at least 30 minutes, unless you want to count United Skates of America in Rumford, RI. Their sessions are listed as 14 & under and adults, telling me that they've had issues with teenagers. It's an odd rink, shaped like a track, with the concessions and games on the center.
small world indeed! did you ride the minty red 900rr at first then upgrade?

I've been to a the place in RI and had a lot of fun with my son and nephew but the novelty has worn off....it's more of an entertainment center for birthday parties where you can skate if you want...rather then a rink. I went this weekend and it was like skating in rush hour traffic.

A friend used to (still does?) go to roller kingdom in Hudson...i grew up at roller kingdom in woonsocket and I felt like I was walking into a time capsule when I met with the GM yesterday....I am going to head up there soon despite the ride ..it's almost an hour, I am in Lincoln, RI.

I stumbled across this place online yesterday...it's around 45mins from me....says have Speed Practice on Tuesday nights...that's what I'm talking about!

From what I could tell...the owner is a lifelong skater who's childhood dream was to own a rink....he bought the silver city skate rink(i forget the real name) and is fulfilling it

I think skating is coming back...which is pretty cool

I stopped riding when my son was born...i didn't think I'd have enough self control to stay alive. I feel like I do now but made a career change a couple years ago and can't afford a car that doesn't have my company name on the side of it...never mind a bike!

I had been thinking about skating for awhile and when my mother bought my son and nephew skate that pushed me over the edge....

Now that I am back skating a light bulb went off...this is where my obsession with racing really started....so I get to scratch that itch too...

Where do you skate? What style? You have 3 setups...you're pretty serious about this...
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #4
emtdpf

http://www.forrestsfamilyfuncenter.com/

Floor is nice, the owner is a skater himself.
New carpeting and party areas

floor is over 80' x 180'

Lot closer than Hudson......
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
small world indeed! did you ride the minty red 900rr at first then upgrade?
That's me. I actually still had the CBR until this past September. I sold it to another NESR member.
Quote:
A friend used to (still does?) go to roller kingdom in Hudson...i grew up at roller kingdom in woonsocket and I felt like I was walking into a time capsule when I met with the GM yesterday....I am going to head up there soon despite the ride ..it's almost an hour, I am in Lincoln, RI.
I have skated the old Woonsocket Roller Kingdom. The floor got flooded and warped beyond repair. This was probably 12 or so years ago. We also used to run speed skating practices out of the Hudson rink until about April of 2015. At the time, the floor hadn't been coated in years and became too slippery to be safe for the speeds we were trying to achieve. I heard that they have since coated the floor.
Quote:
I stumbled across this place online yesterday...it's around 45mins from me....says have Speed Practice on Tuesday nights...that's what I'm talking about!
You're talking about Forrest's Family Fun Center in Taunton. The team I skate on (Vortex Racing) is part of the speed skating that you mentioned. One of the Boston Roller Derby coaches (aka Speedy Dan) is coaching the practices. It's mainly inline speed skaters, but both derby and quad skaters are also welcome. The floor is quite large, being 190'x90'. Forrest had tried doing an adult night on Tuesday, but it never took off. Like I mentioned, the best adult session in the "area" is at Skateland n Haverhill, but it's quite a hike at close to 90 minutes.

Vortex also runs out of the Interskate 91 South rink in Wilbraham MA, which is about a 75 minute ride from where I am in Blackstone. The team had a fund raiser and recently had the floor coated and will keep coating the floor every six months.

Welcome back. You never really get skating out of your system, if you did a lot of it in your younger years.
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:09 PM   #6
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
I stopped riding when my son was born...i didn't think I'd have enough self control to stay alive. I feel like I do now but made a career change a couple years ago and can't afford a car that doesn't have my company name on the side of it...never mind a bike!
I stopped riding on the street after an accident in 2009 totaled a brand new (leftover) CBR1000RR that I was riding. Coincidentally enough, it happened in Scituate while I was leading a group through the area. A 16 year old girl made a left in front of me and stopped in my lane. I slid the front on a patch of dirt and I missed the car. But the bike hit is broadside. I just had bumps and bruises, but it woke me up.

I only rode on the track form that point forward. My wife inherited the 900RR, since she loved the riding position. She didn't ride it much though, since she preferred riding with me. When I stopped, she only rode a few times.

I ran my first trackday on the 900RR with Tony's in 2008 and got hooked. I bought a track only SV650 in 2009 and started racing in 2010. I made it to running expert classes and finished 8th overall in 2013 in Lightweight. Unfortunately, I had a pretty gnarly high-side in T1 at NHMS in July of 2014 where I suffered a fractured pelvis and forced retirement from racing at age 49.

I also started working for Tony's Track Days in 2011 and continued to instruct for him until last September. I still have a track-only 2004 Aprilia RSV1000R (which is for sale, if you know anyone who's interested). It was fun, but I found it difficult to do both skating and riding and also support my wife's equestrian stuff as well.

I used skating as part of my rehabilitation from the race accident and that's when I started speed skating again. I had no intention of competing again, but one of my coaches convinced me to give it a go in Oct of 2015 and I did pretty well, so I kept at it. Last year, I upped my training to be harder than I'd ever trained in my life and I dropped 30 pounds.
Quote:
Where do you skate? What style? You have 3 setups...you're pretty serious about this...
I don't session skate much. When I do I usually go to Skateland in Haverhill on Thursday for adult night. I hate trying to skate around those skate mates (the PVC things that they rent to kids and are useless).

My inlines are obviously for speed skating. I skate at Forrest's in Taunton on Tuesdays and I-91 South in Wilbraham on Wednesdays, some Thursdays, and Sundays. I also compete at indoor short track competitions in the Keystone league, which runs meets in PA, NJ, DE, and MD. Yeah, I drive a lot to skate.

This year, I plan on doing the outdoor Eastern Seaboard Series, which is a 5-event series that takes place in Trexlerton, PA. They run both inline and quad skate races. This is what I set up the Reidell 911/Roll-Line skates for. They're a blast outdoors. I've hit the rail trail that starts in Wooksocket and ends somewhere south of Lincoln (http://www.traillink.com/trail/black...nway-(ri).aspx). I do my outdoor inline training there as well and will be on the new section of the bikeway that starts 3/4 mile from my house.

As for the newest complete skate (the Bont Hybrid/Snyder Advantage) I use for skating sessions. I don't do many, but I always return to session every once in a while. I'm a shuffle skater and that's why I like skating the adult night at Skateland. There are a whole bunch who skate the shuffle lines.
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #7
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

BTW, I bought my latest boots and plates through the Doc and he did an awesome job with the whole process and mounting. He also got better pricing that I could find anywhere (and I'm very good at finding the best pricing online). The wheels I had to have a set of Corey wheels, since I've been dying to try a set since he first started making wheels and selling them to forum members a long time ago. They are more than worth both the price ($200+) and the wait (waited over a month). They are the best quad wheels I have ever skated on in my life, and I've skated on quite a few (probably over 30 different types).
Old January 19th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #8
bigred875

Quote:
That's me. I actually still had the CBR until this past September. I sold it to another NESR member.I have skated the old Woonsocket Roller Kingdom. The floor got flooded and warped beyond repair. This was probably 12 or so years ago. We also used to run speed skating practices out of the Hudson rink until about April of 2015. At the time, the floor hadn't been coated in years and became too slippery to be safe for the speeds we were trying to achieve. I heard that they have since coated the floor.You're talking about Forrest's Family Fun Center in Taunton. The team I skate on (Vortex Racing) is part of the speed skating that you mentioned. One of the Boston Roller Derby coaches (aka Speedy Dan) is coaching the practices. It's mainly inline speed skaters, but both derby and quad skaters are also welcome. The floor is quite large, being 190'x90'. Forrest had tried doing an adult night on Tuesday, but it never took off. Like I mentioned, the best adult session in the "area" is at Skateland n Haverhill, but it's quite a hike at close to 90 minutes.

Vortex also runs out of the Interskate 91 South rink in Wilbraham MA, which is about a 75 minute ride from where I am in Blackstone. The team had a fund raiser and recently had the floor coated and will keep coating the floor every six months.

Welcome back. You never really get skating out of your system, if you did a lot of it in your younger years.
I'm definitely going to check out Forrest's place soon. I want to check out the speed practice...I'm going to need a helmet...think my aria is good?

Haverhill is a hike but if you ever head up there let me know..i would be interested in checking it out.
Old January 19th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #9
bigred875

Quote:
I stopped riding on the street after an accident in 2009 totaled a brand new (leftover) CBR1000RR that I was riding. Coincidentally enough, it happened in Scituate while I was leading a group through the area. A 16 year old girl made a left in front of me and stopped in my lane. I slid the front on a patch of dirt and I missed the car. But the bike hit is broadside. I just had bumps and bruises, but it woke me up.

I only rode on the track form that point forward. My wife inherited the 900RR, since she loved the riding position. She didn't ride it much though, since she preferred riding with me. When I stopped, she only rode a few times.

I ran my first trackday on the 900RR with Tony's in 2008 and got hooked. I bought a track only SV650 in 2009 and started racing in 2010. I made it to running expert classes and finished 8th overall in 2013 in Lightweight. Unfortunately, I had a pretty gnarly high-side in T1 at NHMS in July of 2014 where I suffered a fractured pelvis and forced retirement from racing at age 49.

I also started working for Tony's Track Days in 2011 and continued to instruct for him until last September. I still have a track-only 2004 Aprilia RSV1000R (which is for sale, if you know anyone who's interested). It was fun, but I found it difficult to do both skating and riding and also support my wife's equestrian stuff as well.

I used skating as part of my rehabilitation from the race accident and that's when I started speed skating again. I had no intention of competing again, but one of my coaches convinced me to give it a go in Oct of 2015 and I did pretty well, so I kept at it. Last year, I upped my training to be harder than I'd ever trained in my life and I dropped 30 pounds.I don't session skate much. When I do I usually go to Skateland in Haverhill on Thursday for adult night. I hate trying to skate around those skate mates (the PVC things that they rent to kids and are useless).

My inlines are obviously for speed skating. I skate at Forrest's in Taunton on Tuesdays and I-91 South in Wilbraham on Wednesdays, some Thursdays, and Sundays. I also compete at indoor short track competitions in the Keystone league, which runs meets in PA, NJ, DE, and MD. Yeah, I drive a lot to skate.

This year, I plan on doing the outdoor Eastern Seaboard Series, which is a 5-event series that takes place in Trexlerton, PA. They run both inline and quad skate races. This is what I set up the Reidell 911/Roll-Line skates for. They're a blast outdoors. I've hit the rail trail that starts in Wooksocket and ends somewhere south of Lincoln (http://www.traillink.com/trail/black...nway-(ri).aspx). I do my outdoor inline training there as well and will be on the new section of the bikeway that starts 3/4 mile from my house.

As for the newest complete skate (the Bont Hybrid/Snyder Advantage) I use for skating sessions. I don't do many, but I always return to session every once in a while. I'm a shuffle skater and that's why I like skating the adult night at Skateland. There are a whole bunch who skate the shuffle lines.
Riding isn't on the radar for me these days...I would love too just too many things i need to get done to justify it...I would get a cool car first...this way I can bring the boy and a couple dogs with me..
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:00 AM   #10
bigred875

Quote:

this year I plan to session skate with my son to get my legs going.... I just ordered a riedell 195/powerdyne rival/radar speed ray set up this week....should take 2 weeks for me to get them.

I am a wannabe shuffle skater too lol I really hope this stuff is becoming popular again...do you see it trending or does one loser like me pop up once in awhile with the same posts?

inline/fitness skating interest me too but I dont know anything about it and I feel like its pretty $$
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:05 AM   #11
bigred875

Quote:
BTW, I bought my latest boots and plates through the Doc and he did an awesome job with the whole process and mounting. He also got better pricing that I could find anywhere (and I'm very good at finding the best pricing online). The wheels I had to have a set of Corey wheels, since I've been dying to try a set since he first started making wheels and selling them to forum members a long time ago. They are more than worth both the price ($200+) and the wait (waited over a month). They are the best quad wheels I have ever skated on in my life, and I've skated on quite a few (probably over 30 different types).
if i had this endorsement the other day I never would have bought the skates I did...but that's life. I had been researching for awhile...it's hard to weed through the bs online....my ex gf has been a professional skater her whole life (artistic as a child and derby through adult) is a big riedell fan and recommended that package for what I want to do...well, the 695 boot...but the same everything else...

i'm concerned about the bearings...which bearings should I use?
Old January 19th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #12
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
this year I plan to session skate with my son to get my legs going.... I just ordered a riedell 195/powerdyne rival/radar speed ray set up this week....should take 2 weeks for me to get them.

I am a wannabe shuffle skater too lol I really hope this stuff is becoming popular again...do you see it trending or does one loser like me pop up once in awhile with the same posts?

inline/fitness skating interest me too but I dont know anything about it and I feel like its pretty $$
Skating in general in the northeast is slow. Gone are the days of 200+ people jammed into a skating rink for sessions. It seems to be coming back in the mid-Atlantic states. There have been a couple of new rinks opened in PA.

Inline fitness/speed skating are as expensive as you want to make it. Yeah, my speed skates are on the pricey side. But I have had my boots for 11 years now. They're Simmons full customs. (cost was $1200 back in 2006, today, they'd be $1600). Frames are just under $400, wheels are $150-$200 per set of 6, and bearings are what you'd normally pay.

However, Simmons is making a really nice package skate for $589. There are others that are less expensive, such as City Run (Korean made) http://skatelifellc.com/collections/all. A good friend of mine runs Skate Life. He also coaches a team in NC. Several of his skaters use the City Run skates and love them.

Inlines are a whole different animal. It took me a little while to get used to them and swapping back and forth from inlines to quads or vise versa can feel a little tricky.

As far as the cost to actually skate, practices in Taunton and Wilbraham run $10 each. Taunton doesn't have a price cap, it's always $10, no matter how many practices you skate. Wilbraham has 3 practices a week and when you reach $60 worth of paid practices in a month, your monthly dues are paid (or you can pay $60 up front for a month). Then there are competitions. I would say about half of the team skates competitions regularly. They require travel to at least the mid-Atlantic states, since the Northeast Speed League only has one team, Vortex. League meets are one-day events on Sunday mornings 6 times a season (October - April) with Regionals every May (two-day event). Nationals happens in July and is usually in Lincoln, NE.

There are also invitational events. I usually do only one, which happens over Presidents' Day weekend in Roanoke, VA and is a three-day event.

Fitness skating is obviously the less expensive option. All you need is a pair of skates. Fitness skates are normally softer lined and higher boots, rather than the hard-shell carbon fiber boots that speed skates have.
Old January 19th, 2017, 05:22 PM   #13
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
i'm concerned about the bearings...which bearings should I use?
There is a lot of buzz on here about which bearings people use. Personally, I have always likes Bones Swiss bearings. This is what I use in my outdoor inline wheels and indoor quad skates. I have some sets that are over a decade old and with minimal maintenance. I rarely ever clean my bearings and probably add synthetic oil to lube them maybe every other month.

I also have a couple of sets of Acer hybrid ceramics (http://www.acerracing.com/ball_beari...t-1116-93.html) that have been very good. This is what I use in my indoor inline wheels.

I also have a single set of Sure-Grip Qube 8-ball bearings that I have in my outdoor quad skates. They don't have many miles on them, but the miles I have skates with them have been smooth and fast.

Some people buy huge bundles of cheaper bearings and treat them as throw-away. These are usually people who skate rain or shine. I'm a fair-weather skater, so I rarely ever get my bearings wet. I know that some people say that they don't notice a difference between cheaper bearings and more expensive bearings, but I seem to. Maybe it's a placebo effect. I have never skated a full ceramic set, mostly because I have a REALLY hard time paying $8+ for EACH BEARING (like this: http://www.acerracing.com/ball_beari...s-1115-93.html). But, they don't rust like stainless steel does.
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #14
bigred875

awesome, thanks chuck...I will probably upgrade to the bones swiss...you're not the first person to recommend them.

I can see a pair of fitness inlines in my future. My first pair of skates were inlines...i've gone back and forth...I would like to try the low boot style...the tall boots feel clunky... although they've probably improved since my last pair 12 or so years ago...