S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:01 PM   #1
whiskey02

Default Wheels for straight line (trail) speed?

So I know a lot of what goes into choosing high quality speed wheels is their cornering grip/capabilities. Most of my skating is straight line trail/road. I'd like to avoid paying more for features I don't really need while still getting the best, fastest, longest lasting wheels for my application. I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this and if there are specific wheels that are well suited for this use, please post recommendations.

Happy new year and thanks.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:52 PM   #2
SkateMO

If you're looking for flat out speed, you want to go for a hard wheel that rolls really well. From my experience, you can never go wrong with the Matter G13 F0 wheels. However, in fairness to other brands, I just don't have enough experience (with those brands) to make a comparison to the G13s. I hear great things about MPC as well as the new Bont wheels.

Honestly, we're talking very minimal differences between the top wheels (in terms of speed)...Matter, MPC, Bont. I think the bigger "speed variations" come from hardness and not brand. And, as you've heard before, it's the skater not the wheels. I wouldn't race on lower end wheels, so wheels do make a difference, but again, once you get to the top-of-the-line range, I really wouldn't think twice about using any of the best offerings for any of the major brands.

My preference is the G13 F0...not saying they are the best. But, that's just what I've been using for many years now.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:21 PM   #3
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateMO View Post
If you're looking for flat out speed, you want to go for a hard wheel that rolls really well. From my experience, you can never go wrong with the Matter G13 F0 wheels. However, in fairness to other brands, I just don't have enough experience (with those brands) to make a comparison to the G13s. I hear great things about MPC as well as the new Bont wheels.

Honestly, we're talking very minimal differences between the top wheels (in terms of speed)...Matter, MPC, Bont. I think the bigger "speed variations" come from hardness and not brand. And, as you've heard before, it's the skater not the wheels. I wouldn't race on lower end wheels, so wheels do make a difference, but again, once you get to the top-of-the-line range, I really wouldn't think twice about using any of the best offerings for any of the major brands.

My preference is the G13 F0...not saying they are the best. But, that's just what I've been using for many years now.
I think it depends on the batch of G13's and the size. My wife got an absolutely awful set of 100mm G13's that are the slowest wheels she has ever skated on. We know they were not knockoffs either because they came from a reputable dealer who I will thank for the deal we got on them (no fault of theirs that the wheels suck).

On the other hand, I have skated on some other Matter wheels (orignal Juice Green) in the 100mm size that are great!

My personal preference right now is MPC. They just seem to be the most consistent from batch to batch and their hubs don't fall apart or loosen up.

I do believe that you can go too hard and loose speed depending on the surface you are skating on and how much you weigh. For pristine surfaces, hard wheels usually work well. I am also a middle weight skater (150lbs) and it seems that the hardest wheel doesn't always work the best. Right now I am skating on 110mm MPC Black Magic XFrim wheels. I also have the XXF and they don't seem to be any faster but the ride is a bit rougher.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 06:06 PM   #4
AZ Roadrunner

My 2 cents after spending plenty on wheels for outdoor. For my money TLTF dual banded wheels are IMO the best for the money. The Matter are great wheels but I always had issues with getting a good set, I'd buy two sets to get one working set........ouch! expensive, where as TLTF I never had an issue and the performance was there.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 06:37 PM   #5
SkateMO

I agree with kufman and AZ. Matters quality hasn't been the greatest. I remember showing up at races and discovering that one or two wheels in a batch of 8 had to be tossed out because of defective hubs (and not knowing what to do because I didn't have anything else with me). It became a habit to always check your wheels before ever leaving for a race.

But, once you find eight good G13s, I've never been at the starting line of a race and felt like I was at a disadvantage because of my wheel choice. I don't know this, so this is entirely just a guess, but I would guess that more outdoor races have been won on matter wheels in recent years than any other brand. Part of that is probably due to sponsorship...being that Powerslide usually has the best pool of skaters in the world skating on the Matter wheels. Again, I don't have any facts to back that "guess" up.

One disadvantage of the G13s is they don't do great in the rain. In contrast, you can usually buy a set of MPCs that work equally as great as the G13s in dry conditions and much better in wet conditions. Now days, I think many diehard G13 fans have slowly started gravitating towards MPC and Atom because of their dual-use capability in dry / wet.

Wheels are weird...many years ago, I skated the Montreal 24 hour race on Matter Yellow. At the time, those were some of the hardest wheels you could get. At the race, it poured down rain almost the entire time. It rained so hard, they ended up shortening the event. It was the hardest rain I ever skated in. But, looking back, I don't remember slipping very much at all with those wheels. Many skaters were telling me how crazy it was to use those wheels. But, they worked for me. At Apostle a couple years ago, it was another rain race. Hernan Diaz skated on "G13" 125 wheels; I couldn't believe it. 125 Matter wheels in the rain are slick. Not sure how he did it. But, after the race, he said they didn't bother him at all. Several years ago, I saw at least one elite skater choose the Bont G4 Highroller over many newer options...this was well after the G4's prime...and this skater still finished near the top. So, what works for one person, doesn't always work for the next (very true with wheels).
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:33 PM   #6
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Roadrunner View Post
My 2 cents after spending plenty on wheels for outdoor. For my money TLTF dual banded wheels are IMO the best for the money. The Matter are great wheels but I always had issues with getting a good set, I'd buy two sets to get one working set........ouch! expensive, where as TLTF I never had an issue and the performance was there.
Great wheels... when you can get them and Curt didn't mess with the formulation from the last batch.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 02:13 AM   #7
Spencer.Berry

I have several sets of Atom One wheels that I got for $6 or $7 per wheel. Those have been great off-season training wheels for that price. I definitely would not race on them, or even train on them when leading up to an important race, but a great value for off-season training.

As far as race quality wheels, I've had great luck with Matters over the years, but my current two favorites are the MPC Black Magic XXFirm and the Bont Red Magic XXFirm. Just my opinion, though.

Like others have mentioned, what works for one person may not be perfect for another. Weight, power, cadence, and many other factors come into play. And after only a few millimeters of wear, they will feel significantly different from a fresh set of wheels.
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #8
evilzzz

The answer, as far as I'm concerned, lies somewhere in between "it depends" to "it doesn't really matter". If you have to ask, then chances are you are probably not experienced enough to be able to distinguish between the subtle differences of one wheel over another. I have been skating for 10 years and if you strapped some Matters on one skate and MPCs on another and asked me what the difference was, I probably couldn't tell you.

There are no studies or lab tests which can conclusively demonstrate that one wheel is "better" than another, let alone accounting for conditions and the individual, so all we really have is to to see what is popular is probably what works well for most people, and looking around you will see wheels from all the main manufacturers used, so it's a fair guess that they all do a similar, very good job in 99.9% of cases.

Everyone is looking for that magical piece of equipment that will give them an edge over everyone else.. guess what..? It doesn't exist! If you are worried about that last 2sec/mile of ultimate performance then is the time to worry about what wheels you have, otherwise worry about other stuff (and same for bearings, only even more so).
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #9
marksundell
Blade or Die.

Here is my two cents.
I skate pretty much exclusively trails. in decent distances at a shot , 10-40 miles a go. I live in Minnesota so we have a metric butt ton of trails to skate on. some urban, some rural. some amazing, some not so much. for me, it is more about the setup and ability to stop, or turn due to hills, dogs, and who knows what other adventures can pop up. for me, I lean toward the middle of the road for cost because I don't have a boatload of expendable money and I'd rather do a big ass T-stop if I need to than take a crash. because I can tell you personally it is not fun taking a digger at 15mph out in the middle of nowhere.

no one is going to break any records out on trails so don't spend a zillion dollars on them.

and the harder the wheel the more vibration goes into your body, which is not fun. and more prone to slipping, which is even less fun.

Personally I've been super impressed with the Matter?Undercover line of wheels and I prefer the 85/86a range. they even make some 88a.

What is your setup? I've grown to appreciate 4x100 or 3x125s.
Also I'd say body size and conditions are a huge factor too.
Can you tell us more about you?

Also The Rollerblade Hydrogens are good of an all around beater wheel too. but not as good as the Undercovers.

Hope that helps.
marksundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #10
Vadim

NB: You need grip on straight line too in order to push properly.

For an average weight man on a smooth trail "default" hardness should be approx. 86 (F1 Matter or XFirm MPC).

About wheels with flex band: no doubt they are better, but they cost more and you can use them until flexible band will crop out. I do alot of T-stops and flexband wheels are not an option for me, can't afford 2 sets per season.

I have experience with matter yellows. Urethane is good (especially the roll) and as it was already mentioned it works in rain. Hubs... mine Superjuice were okay, but I managed to crack one in a crash. Purchased Images (same urethane, but traditional core) to solve the problem, but their hubs were a bit tight and I cracked another wheel while changing bearings. Overall quality of Images was lower. So, I'd choose Superjuice over Image. Or bath bearings in oil before pushing them into Image lol. This is my experience.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #11
whiskey02

Marksundell,

Thanks. I'm just under 6'2" and about 183lbs. I do have strong thickly muscled legs. I'm on 4x110 currently using Atom matrix plus 86a. I'm building up fitness and technique after a few years off skates. I don't have sloppy technique but like everyone else always looking to make it better.My long term goals are simply to race against myself in 5 and 10k TT's. Of course times don't really matter if you're just racing yourself but I've never experienced top tier wheels like matter g13, Red Magics or MPC black magics. I'd like to treat myself to great wheels to "race" on when I've done a few more months of training.
The main trail I use (Jax-Baldwin) has mostly pretty good pavement, paved/repaved at different times, some very smooth and a few sections while not bad, producing a little bit of vibration. Compared to conditions when I lived in Boston, the trail is in fantastic condition. FWIW, I very rarely use T stops, I know when an intersection is ahead and I just lay off and zig zag if I have to so I'm not pissing away urethane, burning through wheels.
I know nothing can be bought to make one a champion, I'd just like to experience the best roll I can get.
Old February 16th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #12
Vadim

I weight 61 kg (135 lbs) and road is usually rough asphalt. 86a/F1 matter yellows often feel not grippy/comfortable enough. So I'd like to choose some 84-85a wheel from this site: https://der-rollenshop.sportkanzler.de/100mm-Wheels
If you have experience with one of this from list below, please recommend Here are some < 10 euro wheels...

Rollerblade Hydrogen Berlin Marathon Edition 100mm 6,68
Bont G14/G15 100 mm/84A Speedwheel 7,77
Hyper XTR 100 mm Speedwheel 6,29
Hyper Hyperformance +G 100mm/85a 7,52
Hyper Xenon by Mariani/Cado Motus 100mm/85a 9,45

Currently I lean towards RB Hydrogen or Bont. One thing I'm not sure about is why this web store sells ordinary non-"berlin marathon" hydrogens if they have a pile of marathon hydrogens in stock? Are they any worse or what
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #13
brj

I have the Rollerblade Hydrogen Berlin Marathon Edition 110mm and I like them for training, they also have a surprising good grip on wet streets.
For racing I use Bont Red Magic, but they are far more expensive.
brj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 01:49 PM   #14
spdkls

I started using PS Infinity for road training. They are surprisingly fast. PS and Matter both have budget wheels for sale at Inline warehouse. Atom and Mota also both have budget wheels that will be out soon. Frank Holland has a budget wheel in development. We keep seeing Labeda teasing us with pictures of his.

Bottom Line is, if you're not sure, it's better not to blow a lot of money oh high dollar wheels you might not like. There are plenty of budget wheels out there.

For racing, It's personal preference. So far every top wheel(MPC, Matter, Bont) has won their share of races, so you know they are all fast wheels.

I race on Matter Blue hub 125. The set I'm currently have has over 1000 miles on them. I raced them on them on the track and road at ODN. I trained on them over the summer til I got the Infinity's last month. I also raced them at our meet here in Milton. When I first got them they measured 125.8mm. They are now 124.7mm. I am a religious extremist in rotating them.

AND before you ask why I haven't bought new wheels. I'm working with a budget due to a 2 sport daughter, that keeps growing out of her gear. In 2016 alone, I had to buy 3 boots in 8 months due to her foot growing out of them. Two of those times, the boots had a thumb width space on the toe.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 12:35 PM   #15
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Might be worth a try:

http://motaskates.com/product/amped-...inline-wheels/

They're taking pre-orders now.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 03:36 PM   #16
whiskey02

Cool. I've got Mota skates and I love them, unbelievable for the price (bought mine at nettracing), can't imagine that a custom would fit my feet any better. I'm not qualified to evaluate the frames (4x110) as I haven't skated on any other 4x110 frame though I just bought a used set of Ion Vanquish, waiting for delivery. The only other frames I ever used were 5x80 maple diamond and then a 3x100 1- 80 Xenan. The mota boss frame is by design thin sided with no cut outs; how this effects performance I can't say, it does produce a high pitch tone at times which I don't particularly enjoy. This is not a criticism, just an observation.
Anyway, noting the connection between Atom wheel and now mota, they'd be worth trying.