S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 28th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #1
Valdecus

Default New member from Germany

Hi,

I just wanted to shortly introduce myself and thank the admins for allowing me to join the forum.

I am a former artistic roller skater and competitive figure skater from Germany. My family has been into roller skating since the 1930s and now I am an Olympic and Worlds figure skating judge.

As a little intro for your pleasure, I have uploaded an old film on roller skating in the late 1930s in Germany. Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/197292986

Cheers
Andreas
Valdecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdecus View Post
Hi,

I just wanted to shortly introduce myself and thank the admins for allowing me to join the forum.

I am a former artistic roller skater and competitive figure skater from Germany. My family has been into roller skating since the 1930s and now I am an Olympic and Worlds figure skating judge.

As a little intro for your pleasure, I have uploaded an old film on roller skating in the late 1930s in Germany. Enjoy!

Cheers
Andreas
welcome to the boards Andreas, it will be good to hear from another skater outside the usa. enjoy the boards
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdecus View Post
Hi,

Cheers
Andreas
Welcome aboard. I love the film. Those kids were really good.
Old December 29th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #4
Miss Behaved

Welcome! I enjoyed the video. Thanks!
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:30 PM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Welcome aboard Andreas

The movie is titled 1939. And if anybody has any sense about 1939, it was a tough time for many in Europe who lost their lives through the holocaust. Itís time to forgive and forget and hope another WW does not occur, if not soon.

The skaters as like Germany seemed very disciplined and skating on concrete. Wow! Thanks for the video and it seems Andreas is now skating or judging ice skating.

I think there are over 100,000 registered ice skaters compared to less than 2000 roller competitive skaters.

Thanks for sharing. I learned a lot.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Valdecus

Larry is right about the difficult times when the movie was made. It was taken in the summer of 1939, just weeks before the second world war started. Some of the skaters shown soon had to enter the war, some never returned. Next to the rink was one of the largest wooden sports stadiums in the world, the Westfalenhalle, which was destroyed less than four years later.

The film definitely is an interesting document of sports in fascist Germany. Learning from history helps in making the same fatal mistakes again. However, one has to be willing to study history in the first place.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Andreas
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:16 AM   #7
larryoracing

Smile Thanks Andreas for the post...lol!

Andreas thank you for the commentary..lol! I’m including a picture video I made of my mom and dad before the war and after before my mother passed away.

As like most, Americans did not talk about WWII. If one looks really closely you can see a man (my dad ) before the war and after. He was changed and died many years later from the stress of life and war injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq_1mpQJXEI

What I like most about the your featured video is the pure joy of doing pairs by the skaters.

In the old days girls and boys loved to skate together. If you look at American National competition today boys and girls skating together is almost non-existent. I don’t know how it is in Germany, but any suggestion on how to get boys and girls to skate again would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

Last edited by larryoracing; January 2nd, 2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 06:37 AM   #8
Valdecus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
In the old days girls and boys loved to skate together. If you look at American National competition today boys and girls skating together is almost non-existent. I donít know how it is in Germany, but any suggestion on how to get boys and girls to skate again would be greatly appreciated.
I believe this is due to the low number of roller skaters in general. Before teaming up, the girls and boys first need to be fairly good skaters on their own. By the time they are proficient (and strong) enough to do pair skating, they will be at least 12 to 16 years of age. They also need to be skating in the same area or at the same club, and both need to be enthusiastic about pair skating *and* get along along with each other.

Chances are quite slim that with limited numbers of skaters new pairs will be formed, unfortunately. This is a problem in Europe as well, not just in North America. Even in Figure Skating on ice it proves to be extremely difficult finding enough skaters for pair skating. The ISU actually set up a Pair Skating Development Program, bringing together skaters, coaches, and judges from various countries to help improve the situation. Along this line, pair skating seminars and try-outs for young skaters could spark some new interest and possibly lead to new pairs.

Cheers
Andreas
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:04 PM   #9
larryoracing

Smile Boys and Girls skating together. Is it a possible dream??

Dear Andreas,

Thank you so much for the positive response in regarding the sport of Roller Skating or Ice Skating in the realm of “pairs” skating, but I also think the idea could be related to ‘team’ dance whether it be “American Dance/only in the US” or in International team dance/world competition.

I’m going to play dumb and pretend like I don’t know a lot about your ideas, and project my thoughts as I see them from my very limited, but healthy amount of information about the sport of pairs skating.

You bring up the point that be it pairs skating or ‘dance/team’ skating both the girl and boy must be at least proficient in the sport before teaming up. I could argue that point, but I will not.

But to get to a point of being a proficient pairs team and we’ll forget about dance you must have a certain amount of strength to lift a girl or perform a double rotation jump, in which a pairs team would do it side by side and all the overhead lifts I assume takes some kind of skill not normal for a boy or girl at a very young age.

14-17 years old seems like a likely age for two individuals to perform dangerous, but athletic lifts…like maybe a ‘airplane’(?) lift or side by side double turn jumps…ie…like the mapes/toe loop or flip or lutz jump.

I want to point out something I saw in your 1939 video and which I noticed in the Sr Roller Skating pairs teams of 1961-1965 on ABC Television “Wide World of Sport” in which the stadium/arena was filled to the ‘brim’ with spectators cheering on the contestants. And that was the idea of never breaking contact with your pairs partner and if you did it was called “Shadow” skating.

As an example if one were to perform ‘shadow’ double mapes/toe loops in pair skating, one partner would touch the other partner on the shoulder, then break and both would perform the double turn jumps together, but at only one arm lengths distance. At the landing the partners would instantly reconnect and continue to skate holding onto one another/grabbing hands.

In the early 70’s which I was privileged to see some of the best skaters in the world pairs teams never did “shadow” jumps. All side by side jumps were performed with a good 15 feet distance between the skaters, not always in unison and never grasping each other after the double rotation jumps. It took many strokes or seconds of skating before the two pairs members to re-connect again going into the next move or lift.

Another idea I saw in 1961-1965 television Sr Pairs Team skating were side by side traveling OF Camels where the two skaters, girl and boy never let go of one another. They were literally holding each other side by side arabesque position while traveling down the skating surface doing and performing a traveling OF camel together as one skater. I did not even think that was possible. Have you ever seen that?????

The next thing I saw was a pairs team doing a simple waltz jump, loop jump combination and never breaking hands or arm contact. Again I didn’t think that was physically possible, but it is but I never saw it performed by the best pairs skaters in competition in the 70s (1970-1979).

I think most skaters could envision a waltz jump done without breaking hand or arm contact, but the loop jump done holding onto one another requires the two jumpers to jump about one center axis between the two skaters and not two axis’ one for each individual jumper.

That just blew my mind away when I saw this simple jump combination performed by two skaters, never breaking arm or hand contact. Too finish that combination the skaters threw in the “shadow” double mapes/toe loop jump combination. Never ever saw any of that type of spinning or jumping pairs competition in my life. And only few years emerged from 1965-1975. What happened? What happened to that type of skating in pairs skating?

In your video of your grandfather (?) skating pairs with the young lady performed almost all moves and never lost contact with his partner. Arabesques, dance moves and all forms of skating together/pairs involved the two skaters to stay in constant contact with one another.

That is the beauty of skating. When skaters separate, they are no longer a team and hence the beauty of skating with one another is lost. When a boy and girl skate together there is romance, togetherness, skill and showmanship, when skating alone, but together this takes away from the beauty, the art and the flavor or mood of the skating couple.

It’s really about the romance or mood of the skaters that draws the audience in to contact or relate to the skaters and draws the audience in to the performance or drama of the skating. That loving relationship is what makes the audience connect to the mood of skaters and enjoy the performance and clap and cheer for them. The couple becomes the audience favorites and gain international fame and recognition for their relationship with the spectator/audience.. .

Back in the 70’s many singles/pairs skaters perfected their craft before moving on to Redwood City, Ca under the auspices of Jim Pringle to gain a better partner, to find a partner to form a “Four”/two pair teams or continue their singles skating in either sophomore, Junior or Senior Pairs, Singles or Fours Freestyle competition.

So your idea of the formulation of teams was done in a similar but unique way where all the best freestyle skaters went to one skating rink and joined a power house roller skating club and became the best skaters the world had ever seen.

The same could be said about team dance in Southern California, where the caretaker was Bob Labriola either at Whittier, Ca or moving onto Fountain Valley, Ca.

Today there are still people who travel near and far to skate team dance, but I’m not so sure about the singles or pairs freestyle roller skating.

But I could see the day when the United States forms up a grant worth several hundred thousands of dollars to push the sport of roller skating to compete with the Italians or South American/Brazilian teams, which seem to dominate the sport in International roller skating with government subsidies.

The idea is that young people must learn to skate and get along, study and do everything else together. Today the push is being single, 50% divorces and people doing their own thing rather than doing it with a boy or girl to get better at something together, carrying onto marriage, family and country and finally the world.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and sorry for the long post…lol!

P.S.

I love your idea of tryouts. Going somewhere where a whole bunch of singles skaters in dance or freestyle could go with the intentions of finding a team partner. Many people do this on their own, but having a formal gathering known throughout the skating community sounds very intriguing. Skating rinks would have to work together and I don’t really see that now, but who knows, you just need somebody who sees the big picture and is involved and can push to make something happen for the betterment of the sport!
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #10
Sir Aaron

Quote:

In the old days girls and boys loved to skate together. If you look at American National competition today boys and girls skating together is almost non-existent. I don’t know how it is in Germany, but any suggestion on how to get boys and girls to skate again would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to be the boys. None at my local rink want to skate or even be near a girl. I fly my daughter to Orlando once a month to skate dance with a boy. We expect them to have maybe one other couple to compete against at Nationals.

I'm skating with a girl just older than my daughter at local meets...
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #11
larryoracing

Smile Sir Aaron, glad to see you keeping the tradition alive.

Sir Aaron,

Thanks for the post. Itís funny in the old days when you went to practice there would always be someone around. Now it seems many times I go to the rink and Iím the only one skating.

Needless to say when I skated there were many girls. I donít really know why, but that was the way it was. And believe it or not there were a lot of boys and they were good. In fact just before I started skating, most skaters seemed to be well versed, skating freestyle, dance and figures.

Our rink was setup up to be a Dance and Figure Club and not necessarily a freestyle club. So when you skated at our rink you were destined to skate with a girl. And there was no such thing as solo. If you were a girl and had no partner you did not skate dance.

Sincerely,

Larry O
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:57 PM   #12
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Sir Aaron,

Thanks for the post. Itís funny in the old days when you went to practice there would always be someone around. Now it seems many times I go to the rink and Iím the only one skating.

Needless to say when I skated there were many girls. I donít really know why, but that was the way it was. And believe it or not there were a lot of boys and they were good. In fact just before I started skating, most skaters seemed to be well versed, skating freestyle, dance and figures.

Our rink was setup up to be a Dance and Figure Club and not necessarily a freestyle club. So when you skated at our rink you were destined to skate with a girl. And there was no such thing as solo. If you were a girl and had no partner you did not skate dance.

Sincerely,

Larry O
The boys have no idea what they're missing.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intro