S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old March 13th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #21
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Read the Archives

Hi

Read the archives. I posted my Bones Bottle Technique several times.
And a really long article on cleaning.

BTW Lots of techniques skater use.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 14th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #22
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I still clean my bearings about once a year even though the grease still looks clean. I use an aerosol can of brake parts cleaner that has a straw tube. According to the label on the can, it is basically acetone (fingernail polish remover). It works fast and doesn’t leave any residue.
I have had great results using the brake cleaner described by BigFoot.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #23
shesk8

Here's 2 part clip from a Nat. Skate Patrol member breaking down Bearing Cleaning in a few easy steps:

Part #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvs-2pIQlA

Part #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3bSL_zonM&t=5s

and, yes you can clean bearings in hot water, we've been doing it for years. No need to get toxic with this task.

Happy Rolling.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #24
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I never clean a bearing. I purchase inexpensive Chinese bearings marked "ABEC-7 SPEED" that have removable metal shields that are NOT replaceable if you remove them. They cost about 25 cents each.

So here is what you do: Get yourself some Bones Speed Cream lube. It is made ESPECIALLY for skate bearings. Do not remove the bearing shields. Dribble a little Speed Cream into the opening between the shield and the inner bearing race. Just need a couple of drops to penetrate in there and you might have to spin the bearing a bit to help with this. You need to do this because the lube that comes standard in those bearings is trash. Then put the bearings into your wheels and skate. Skate through water puddles if you want to. The Speed Cream will keep the bearings from rusting for a long time.

As your bearings get dirty, noisy, and slow, replace them one at a time with the same brand of cheap Speed Cream treated bearings. So maybe once every month or two you will be tossing 25 cents into the trash bin. While you are at it, throw all of your bearing cleaning stuff in the trash bin too. It is much more fun to skate than jerk around cleaning bearings.

You wanna spend a hundred bucks on bearings and spend your time cleaning them? Hey...if you LIKE doing it, great. If you LOATHE it, do what I do. Purchase cheap bearings, lube 'em up, skate 'em, toss 'em.

BTW...I skate about 2000 miles a year OUTDOORS according to my GPS. So far after two years I have thrown away ZERO bearings and cleaned ZERO bearings. Just add a drop of Speed Cream every three months or so. They will sound noisy for a few minutes, then quiet right down as the dirt gets pushed away from the balls. After one skate session at the most they will quiet down. If not, toss and replace. Skate on!

Here are a couple of long videos I made on this subject.

How To Waterproof Your Longboard (or Skate) Bearings - Part 1

Waterproof Your Longboard (or Skate) Bearings - Part 2
I started this thread and haven't been back on in a million years 🙈 I agree with this and it's what I've been doing. Cheap bearings. Chuck them away when they're no good (which I haven't yet had to do!) But.. I so want a decent pair of bearings which I would do exactly that with. A little wipe and some lube. 👊

Real life Tazmanian Devil 💥💨
Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #25
alwayssummer
J'aime mes rolleurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
...Cheap bearings. Chuck them away when they're no good...
Where do you acquire said cheap bearings? $0.25 each? Sounds almost too good to be true.

If you're going to tell me e-bay, can you give me the name of a seller you've purchased from?
alwayssummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #26
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Two Opinions on this Topic

Hi Little,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
I started this thread and haven't been back on in a million years 🙈 I agree with this and it's what I've been doing. Cheap bearings. Chuck them away when they're no good (which I haven't yet had to do!) But.. I so want a decent pair of bearings which I would do exactly that with. A little wipe and some lube. 👊
You can do R&D on previous notes I made on how to clean bearings. Quite detailed. Now I currently own really good bearings, so it is a cost thing, and a quality of service thing to clean my bearings. Bones Swiss, SureGrip Gold and I should buy the Bones ceramics, cause I like the idea and speed if I need it to easily compete.

Yet if you are a poorer, or solitary, skater with no competition cheap throw aways are probably OK. After all you do not compete with anyone and do not know the difference. BTW this is not a bad thing since I did it for a few years, yet just an observation of why skaters go to higher quality bearings and why some stay with in the sand bearings.

Now if you are Derby, other reasons for getting cheap bearings.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #27
tomcatsk8

I used two methods for cleaning bearings

First method, remove shields and clean them with gasoline. Let them soak, then apply grease. They will roll great but will take some dust in time.

Second method, remove shields and use dry lube, I use some Motul chain spray for motorcycles. They will not grab too much dust, so no require cleaning. Will run slower first few kilometers till the grease will be fluid.
tomcatsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote