S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old December 31st, 2016, 04:16 PM   #21
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

My Simmons boots are coming up on 11 years old and have not decayed one bit, since I have been using coolmax or some sort of wicking socks since day one.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:39 PM   #22
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
My Simmons boots are coming up on 11 years old and have not decayed one bit, since I have been using coolmax or some sort of wicking socks since day one.
Synthetic vs leather tho,
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:22 AM   #23
kufman

Socks and EezFits for me. No problems with blisters or stinky boots. I can't stand my one pair of customs that i can't wear socks with. Blisters every time But they do make a pretty avatar.
<--------
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 03:21 PM   #24
AZ Roadrunner

Pure personal preference. Once I removed my socks I will never go back. Barefoot or I won't skate, hate socks with skates, they take the feel out of the road or floor for me and adds another layer of area to irritate and rub the skin.

Most the people I skate with all wear socks, they would never consider going barefoot. With or without socks doesn't impact performance, it's what you're comfortable with. I love the feel of the boot wrapped around my foot without a layer of socks.

The key is to also tell your boot maker if you wear socks or not, that has a huge impact on if the boot fits correct with or without socks. A high quality boot doesn't need socks IMO. As far as cleaning the inside I use white vinegar.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 02:21 PM   #25
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

I wear a very thin pair of socks, not to prevent blisters, chaffing, or hot spots, but its strictly for the hygienic aspect. I went barefoot for 20 years, and 2 years ago started wearing thin, sporting socks(from pinnacle). No more smelly skates, no more wet skates, and no funk growing in my $1400 custom boots! (they will last longer, I promise)

Here are the socks I wear just FYI.
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/pr...6107006085655/
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:46 PM   #26
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Synthetic vs leather tho,
I was talking about the lining of the boot, which is some sort of material, not leather or suede.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #27
whiskey02

I always stuff my boots with newspaper when I take them off; helps dry them out quicker. I like miss behaved's idea even better.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:20 AM   #28
panch0

Default Booties

I'm telling you guys... EzeeFit booties is the way to go! They stop the sweat from draining into your boot and you still have the barefoot "feel" since the forefoot is nude.

Another thing I do, before I go skating, I wash my feet. When I come back from skating, I put my boots under a fan to air them out.

JimmyB.... my Custom Pinnacles from 10 years ago smell like the suede lining. Next time I see you I'm bringing them so you can smell them!
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:56 AM   #29
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
I'm telling you guys... EzeeFit booties is the way to go! They stop the sweat from draining into your boot and you still have the barefoot "feel" since the forefoot is nude.

Another thing I do, before I go skating, I wash my feet. When I come back from skating, I put my boots under a fan to air them out.

JimmyB.... my Custom Pinnacles from 10 years ago smell like the suede lining. Next time I see you I'm bringing them so you can smell them!
THAT , is why my skates also do not stink glad someone else does the same thing,
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:38 AM   #30
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
THAT , is why my skates also do not stink glad someone else does the same thing,
I'd "hi-five" you if you were close by!
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:48 PM   #31
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

I still can't get a sock of any thickness into my boots without very considerable discomfort... that's how they've always been. All else equal, I suppose I'd rather wear socks to keep the boots in better shape longer.

The carbon and upper on my Bonts is in great shape 10 years on (other than scrapes & repaired cuts from falls), but the interior is a mess. If I didn't absolutely love the boots, I wouldn't put up with it. Maybe if socks were doable, it wouldn't be worn/dissolved quite as much as it is? I've also got nothing to complain about given the years and miles I've put on them.

I've always gone back and forth with the ultra thin Ezeefits and straight barefoot... sometimes I feel like I give up too much feel (or something), but the booties keep the ankle from getting beat up on longer skates.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 02:10 AM   #32
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteen_psi View Post
I still can't get a sock of any thickness into my boots without very considerable discomfort... that's how they've always been. All else equal, I suppose I'd rather wear socks to keep the boots in better shape longer.

I've always gone back and forth with the ultra thin Ezeefits and straight barefoot... sometimes I feel like I give up too much feel (or something), but the booties keep the ankle from getting beat up on longer skates.
Curious. What sort of socks have you tried and where is it tight? Most of the socks that I wear are thinner than the thinnest EZeefit.

I've never managed to get utility out of EZeefits. It always feels like too much padding around the heel and ankle while my toes dangle.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #33
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
I'd "hi-five" you if you were close by!
E-highfive!

I shower before skating almost every time and always pay good attention to my feet, hardcore cleaned. Every time before I go skating though, clean newly washed socks, that plus well scrubbed feet equals no stinky skates. I dont even spray them with lysol or anything. (Unless someone else uses them). They just get tossed in the trunk after sessions. Lol They got a hard life.
Old February 4th, 2017, 03:54 AM   #34
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
Curious. What sort of socks have you tried and where is it tight? Most of the socks that I wear are thinner than the thinnest EZeefit.

I've never managed to get utility out of EZeefits. It always feels like too much padding around the heel and ankle while my toes dangle.
The best I came up with on my quest to find a sock are some very thin wigwams.. that are otherwise great socks. Went through a whole bunch years ago to try and work it out. They're just too thick around the top and sides of my forefoot in particular. Doesn't make things go numb, but I got pressure sores & bruises when I forced it for a while. Just not enough volume there in the boot.

The ezeefit ultra thin or whatever is... comparable thickness, maybe, and it definitely makes my heel tricky to get in and out of the boot vs barefoot. Getting my heel snapped into the boot with one on is a grin & bear it proposition.

I think the reason I can tolerate it in the heel vs elsewhere is that the extra room it takes up, and the tightness it adds, is balanced out by making the boot slide on my foot rather than stick to it like the skin does... but I'm guessing. Maybe a thin sock that's... slippery, rather than grabby, would work?
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 04:43 AM   #35
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteen_psi View Post
The best I came up with on my quest to find a sock are some very thin wigwams..

[snip]

I think the reason I can tolerate it in the heel vs elsewhere is that the extra room it takes up, and the tightness it adds, is balanced out by making the boot slide on my foot rather than stick to it like the skin does... but I'm guessing. Maybe a thin sock that's... slippery, rather than grabby, would work?
Assuming you mean Wigmam Ironman Thriathlon Socks, these are about as thin as they come. Definitely thinner than EzeeFit Ultra Thin's. They are also a bit on the slippery side. A bad thing, IMHO. I never noticed an issue with the tops and sides but I do notice they have textured lettering on the sides, a flaw of many socks. The top is also a slightly different material: softer, maybe more grabby.

You might want to try CoolMax liner socks. They are slightly thicker than the Thriathlon socks but more uniform. They are also a bit slippery for my taste but your mileage my vary.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote