S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old July 2nd, 2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Little

Default This is England :(

Rain. Damn rain. I checked the weather twice on two separate sites lol it said no rain. Why I believed it god only knows. I live in London... So I get to the park, thought I'd leave it till early evening so most of the young kids would be gone, which they were! Sun was shining. Lovely. Put my skates on, literally got off the bench, pushed forward and I kid you not, instant torrential downpour.. I got like 10 seconds of skating. Liberties So I sulked home, drenched. So what's the deal with skating in the rain. I don't mind rain, specially when it's hot but worry that I'll start slipping and sliding. The rain has stopped and I really wanna go back out there but the ground is now soaked.
Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 07:58 PM   #2
TimeZone3

Depends highly on the wheels and surface. You definitely need to be careful skating in the wet. I always find the end of my stride slips if I try to push real hard and the surface is wet. If your route includes any wooden bridges, avoid like the plague in the wet, those suckers are awful. And of course, your bearings won't thank you. Last time I skated on wet surfaces, two of my wheels were locked up the next day, and I had to hit the bearings with penetrating lubricant and work them back and forth for a while before they freed up again. Best to clean them immediately if you can, but I had thought they'd be ok. So yeah, personally, I try to really avoid skating in the rain or right after rain. But many are more hard-core than I am.

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 08:20 PM   #3
Little

Hey. Thanks for the reply. No, no wooden bridges, I can only imagine the nightmare! Lol. Where I skate is a smooth park path. I took them off as soon as the rain started but carried them home for like 5 minutes in a real heavy downpour. Would you recommend sorting the baring or you think they'll be ok. I have no idea how to clean them. Oils and stuff is something I haven't quite gotten round to buying yet. Note to self.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:45 AM   #4
TimeZone3

If your wheels are still spinning and they don't sound horrible, you don't need to do anything. If any of them sound squeaky, but still turn, best to pull them out and oil them now. I use plain old 3n1 oil from Lowe's / Home Depot.

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Little

Brilliant. Thanks mate. I spun them, they seem fine but one sounds ever so slightly gratey. Not sure if it's a new sound of it was already like it. My new skates which were due to be delivered today have gone missing lol just my luck. Apparently they've been delivered to me. I don't have them. So I'm off to the park in a bit in my old ones. Thanks again for your advice. Everything is closed today so I'll get some oil when I'm out and about tomorrow.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 01:36 PM   #6
WJCIV

If a bearing is crunchy you should clean it before you add lube. Extra grit in the bearings will pit the balls and reduce the lifespan. There are lots of opinions on the best way to clean bearings, and a quick search of the forums will reveal them all.

As far treating bearings in the rain you have a few options. If you get double shielded bearings packed with grease (not oil) they should be fairly rain proof. The outsides will rust at some point, but you'll be able to skate in bad conditions often enough before the insides rust and the roll degrades. You can pack your own bearings if they have removable shields (with C-rings instead of crimped shields). You can also put grease in bearings with a single shield, but they won't be quite as rain proof.

I personally went the full ceramic bearing route when I moved to London. Ceramic doesn't rust, but this is a very expensive option and has some other downsides with the potential for shattered bearings.

Obviously wet conditions are more slippery than dry, but most surfaces are just fine with softer wheels if you don't go all out. The major exceptions are tar snakes, metal grates/manhole covers/etc., and the paint used to mark the roads. You are best off avoiding those areas, or at least avoid pushing while rolling over them. Puddles of just about any depth can bring your feet to a pretty quick stop, but if you're looking ahead they are easy enough to avoid.

Do you skate at Tatem? It's a great smooth surface that's slanted enough for the water to flow off. There's some plant matter along one side which can get a bit slippery in the rain, but you can avoid that by staying at the bottom of the track.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Little

I was looking at ceramic bearings the other day actually. Might be the most sensible option for me in the UK. It's wet more often than not. It's supposed to be summer right now. I'm sat here in a onsie and Christmas bobble slippers coz it's flipping freezing lol. That park you mentioned I've never heard of. Are you in the US? I went over the park today for an hour, the longest I've skated yet. And kept up with my other half on his Airwheel so must have been doing at least 10mph which is fast for me and I handled it well. Loved it. If only I'd have bee doing it in my new skates 😭😭
There's no shops near me that really cater for skates, skateboards etc.. so I'll have to have a look online at the oil/grease stuff and the ceramic bearings.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 02:39 PM   #8
Little

And one thing I keep noticing is my wheels are literally no good on any other surface than tarmac or pavement. As soon as I go onto anything even slightly bumpy I just can't skate. It's highly annoying. I dunno if it's me or the wheels. Airwaves 78a 65mm
Old July 3rd, 2016, 04:25 PM   #9
WJCIV

I moved to London from the US last year. Tatem is just off the Great Cambridge Roundabout.

Most ceramic bearings still have steel races, which can rust. Full ceramic are available at an even higher premium. Good stainless steel will rust slowly enough that you can get them home after a wet skate and use alcohol/petrol/brake cleaner to get them clean, especially if you grease them. Since I have a small flat and don't enjoy bearing maintenance having something that does rust and can be cleaned in the sink made some amount of sense.

Oil and grease are available at any hardware store. There are skating specific ones, but if they even make any difference at all it only makes sense for those seeking the absolute limits of performance.

What part of London are you in? There were several skate shops throughout the last time I looked. A fair portion of them cater to derby, so they don't have inline equipment, but it looks like that isn't a problem for you.

As far as bumpiness, it's likely a combination of the wheels, the cushions, and your technique and comfort level. If you've got a place that works for you, don't worry about it too much.

Old July 3rd, 2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Little

I'm in East London. There is literally one shop I know of but he's a rip off lol. So what type oil is it your using? What's it called? The bumines is kinda where I skate but can be avoided. Maybe with more practice I'll find it less of an issue
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #11
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
So what type oil is it your using? What's it called?
I use 3-in-1. It's pretty thin, so it's advisable to add a couple of drops every few weeks even if you don't clean your bearings. I forget what the grease I use to use was called.

Old July 8th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #12
Little

Brilliant. Thanks again 👍