S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Armadillo

Default Chicago 2016 Skate Marathon (Half/Full) will list Quad times separately

After requesting this from the race management for a few years, I was just informed by the Chicago Skating Marathon (half/full) that for this years events they are finally going to allow quad skaters to identify themselves separately in the registration process, and to also list them in their own tabulated group within the timing results this year.

This will NOT be separate Quad starting waves for the races, since quad participation is still too low for that, but I do hope that the many derby skaters who have previously, and will again (or 1st time) complete in either of this years races will now appreciate not ONLY just being welcomed and allowed to be in the race, but to actually be treated as a distinct and separate category of skaters when we register.

This will also mean that they will handle our chip timing results such that the race results lists can present us quad skaters as our own timing group for comparing ourselves with all the other quad skaters more easily (NOT with the inline skaters).

I have also been lobbying to have them consider a name change to a new one that's less exclusive (as example used above), but for the present, the event name remains the 2016 Chicago Inline Marathon.

As a final thought, would there be any interest with derby teams' skaters to have some kind of a quad group timing competition where the times for a small group (3, 4, 5?) of skaters would be combined together to establish a group time result. The quad teams would only be allowed to draft off each other, not to draft behind the faster inline skaters.

Any other quad skaters have ideas to attract more quad participants into these events. Since they are expensive, coming up with new ways for cramming as much fun as possible into these races, which could expand the level of quad participation, would be great.

BTW, this year I will be making available several sets of the worlds best performing narrow outdoor quad wheels in the 70mm and larger sizes to be loan out for select quad skaters to use in the race (first come - first serve).
If interested, let me know in advance.

With the diminishing quality of this course's asphalt becoming ever rougher over the last few years, the challenge for quad skaters that this race course now presents really demands using the largest possible diameter narrow wheels, with a soft and high rebound urethane formula, well optimized for outdoor performance.

-Armadillo
Old March 24th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #2
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Hey, Armadillo!
I think it's great that you have kept at this and they are putting this in place for Quad participants. For what appears to be almost no added effort this event can add another level of fun and involvement for a group of skaters that have sort of become disenfranchised. A good way to bring back people!
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #3
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
Hey, Armadillo!
I think it's great that you have kept at this and they are putting this in place for Quad participants. For what appears to be almost no added effort this event can add another level of fun and involvement for a group of skaters that have sort of become disenfranchised. A good way to bring back people!
Thanks. I am glad that someone else sees things the way I do when it comes to making these races more appealing, fun, and exciting for the participants, who must pay a lot of money to do something that lasts only a couple hours.

These race committees should be doing a lot more brainstorming for new ways to attract more participants, especially derby team quad skaters, which is the fastest growing area of skating as a whole. Races are shrinking steadily, and this trend must be reversed, or pretty sone we won't have any remaining.

In the case of this race, finding a new venue with SMOOTHER ASPHALT would kick the appeal level up a couple notches for sure.
Maybe longboard skaters would even want to do a 10K, a full or a half marathon, I don't know?
It seems like they could be included too without negative impact on the races, assuming there are any skateboarders interested in Midwest terrain non-downhill racing out there?

-Armadillo