S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old April 13th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #1
Shuvee

Default Wheels for polished concrete

I'm looking for suggestions/feedback on wheels for slick, polished concrete. I've been skating in Atom Jukes for two years and do like them, but am considering a change.

Some wheels that have been recommended to me by various vendors and skaters:

Atom BOOMs

Radar Prestos

Rollerbones Turbos

Reckless Morphs

Any suggestions or feedback on the above wheels? Entirely different wheels? (If you're curious I both jam and block, and weigh in at around 132.) I will say that I am loathe to spend $160 on a set of wheels like the Turbos that I may not even like.

I've been waffling on this for so long I may just end up getting the 3.0 Jukes.
Shuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Fancy-Kerrigan

I had the 92 RBTs (Roller bones). Several sets actually. They rolled like a much harder wheel. Had a lip that helped you to really lean in on the corners & gripped everywhere I ever skated. The only down side to these wheels, at least for me was that they became bald within a year and that changed the way they stuck to the floor. At that point they became a little too slick for me. Now at the time I was skating a couple sessions a week on a coated concrete floor.
I am now in a set of Aussie Scotts (90s) I love them too, but miss the thin 'thane & lip of the RBTs. I will own another set someday.
Another plus is the RBTs come in white.....you can dye them any color you want with Rit fabric dye. This was fun.
Good luck, wheel shopping is interesting. At one point there was a post about a place that would send wheels to you to try out. Maybe search the forum to see if you can find it. That would really help you to decide what suites you.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

How dusty is this floor?

Narrow softer wheel for polished concrete.

Problem with running hard wheels on concrete is it keeps slipping easier. Once vibrations sets in - think hockey stopping here - it will continue to do so for a longer period than on most wood floors.

Using a narrow wheel increases the PSI when compared to a wide wheel. This can help where grip is hard to find. There have been many times where I have put rentals on and they have similar grip to my quads with much better gear. Rentals with old plates worn out cushions, narrow wheels out gripping my Arius plates, with soft cushions and wide 89A zombies? Crazy. But pressure helps. Alot.
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:32 AM   #4
Shuvee

Thanks for chiming in, you two.

Yes, I've been skating in the 59mm Jukes so while I have heard great things about the Turbos I know they only come in 62mm. Although a representative for Rollerbones did tell me they are releasing a 59mm wheel sometime "later this spring." Hopefully it is sooner than later.

The floor I skate on is usually not too dusty because it is swept at least twice a week. Sometimes we will put a little bit of resin down if it's extra slick (sometimes it's affected by the temperature outside).

On a side note I am leaning towards eliminating the Reckless Morphs from consideration after hearing a couple of lackluster reviews from other skaters.
Old April 17th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Shuvee

Adding that I'd really like to try the Turbos but the 62mm makes me hesitant; I really like skating in a narrower wheel.

I heard from a Rollerbones representative that their Day of the Dead wheels are being released this spring in a 59mm version so I'm trying really hard to wait for that one to be released.
Old April 17th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The difference in diameter isn't that much. I'd rather have the extra urethane myself so there is more urethane to regroove/resurface when the wheels become too coned and lose grip.
Old April 17th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #7
jotson

I went from the 59mm Jukes to the Rollerbones Turbos. Huge improvement, and like Mort says, the diameter is not that much different. The width is still 38mm, about as wide as I'll go. Watching derby players with the 43mm wide Cayman wheels is scary - I would be clipping my wheels all night.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #8
Slingblade22

I have a set of the Booms. They're ok as far as the roll/grip are concerned. I was rolling an xfirm on a wood floor though and it was entirely too sticky for me. Might work on the slick concrete floor.
They did seem to wear down pretty quickly though, which I hated.

I typically wear my Juice Appletini 95's on basically any surface.
Slingblade22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Fancy-Kerrigan

From what I have heard the Day of the Dead wheels are the same wheel formula as the RBTs, however the RBTs have a lip. This lip is a big deal when cornering. I went from an RBT (lip) to a narrow enforcers Aussie Scott (no lip) and spent the next couple weeks falling or nearly falling. I would expect to lean into a corner and have a lip on my wheels to support that effort, with no lip i would find myself looking like spin art on the rink floor. It was a painful transition.
The other difference is the hubs. RBTs are metal, DOD are not metal. If you weigh more than a skinny teenager, you will notice non-metal hubbed wheels mush in the corner. Kind of a slight boggy feeling that you will not notice until you take the same corner in a metal hubbed wheel. Night and day difference.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:43 PM   #10
Shuvee

Sorry for the belated response; I've been out of town for a few days.

Thank you for the additional feedback. I'm now leaning towards trying the Turbos. I thought I saw something on Facebook about them being 25% off but I can't find the ad anymore.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:34 AM   #11
2tence

Our outdoor rink here is polished concrete, I use RBT 101As and they work great.
2tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #12
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

The surface finish of polished concrete makes a huge difference in wheel selection. Not all polished concrete reacts the same. Some grips, some has no grip, some can't make up its mind. When it comes to polished concrete, it is all trial and error based on the venue.

There is one venue that I skate at with polished concrete. One slab has tremendous grip and the next slab is slick as ice.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #13
Shuvee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
The surface finish of polished concrete makes a huge difference in wheel selection. Not all polished concrete reacts the same. Some grips, some has no grip, some can't make up its mind. When it comes to polished concrete, it is all trial and error based on the venue.

There is one venue that I skate at with polished concrete. One slab has tremendous grip and the next slab is slick as ice.

That's a very good point. Although I noticed our bout and practice space can get very slick when it is cold and dry in the winter; and in the spring and summer when it gets warm and humid it is much gripper -- you can really feel a difference not just in your wheels but also in your toe stops.
Old May 9th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #14
Armadillo

Transitioning from a lipped set of wheels to a no lip set means your suspension needs to do a better job of keeping both wheels (per truck) simultaneously down and flat against the floor, since you have no lips available to squish down and help hold grip whenever your plate lean lifts the outside end of the axle upward & away from parallel to the floor.

Rolling the wheel edge with a no-lip wheel means you are overly deforming your wheel's urethane contact patch edge zone, and also over-stressing the small area there that is still carrying your load. This kills roll as well.

So, tuning the suspension to have more freedom of action with the narrower no-lip wheels becomes a very important and often overlooked step that needs to be considered when making this kind of a wheel transition.

-Armadillo
Old May 11th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #15
Shuvee

Interesting point; I had not considered that.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:39 PM   #16
Gorilla

Indeed, some cement floors are grippy, some are deathly slick. For the slick ones I like Atom Booms (Firm) and Atom DNA (88A with urethane "flex" hub).

Every person has their own taste in wheels. Even as a big guy, I don't like the feel of Roller Bones Turbos. They roll great, but just feel too "stiff" for me. The large hub, for me, is the problem. I like other aluminum hubbed wheels like Zombies, Power Plus, or Vanilla Deluxe. It is like the ride difference between an oversized aluminum bicycle frame (stiff) and a classic steel frame (compliant). On cement floors with seams or gaps, the Turbos are just too jarring for my taste.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:24 AM   #17
ThatRabbit

Default Polished concrete

I'm not an expert on derby matters, but I do know quite a bit about polished concrete; I ran a business for a few years. One thing I can tell you is that your traction will depend less on wheel grooves and more on rolling surface. Polished concrete is a porous surface, meaning it has a lot of micro holes in it. These holes help create traction. Wheels with grooves prevent full contact and, in return, reduce the size of the rolling surface. There are variables, however, one being how the floor is regularly maintained, if it's coated, etc...

Aaaaaaaand I just realized this thread is from a year ago...
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #18
RollerBones

the 59mm Day of the Dead pet series is in production now.

FYI:
RollerBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 03:42 AM   #19
Shazzamm1971
Still Learning.....

Default Can you give a bigger hint?

I'm hoping that there using the Rollercon 2015 DOTD mold. Hate to see that being a one time deal. Waste of a great mold also..
Shazzamm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #20
RollerBones

That we are....
RollerBones is offline   Reply With Quote