S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 5th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #41
GraySk8ter
73 (not dead yet)

Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
Here's my take on cell phones on the floor: It annoys the crap out of me...
Just noticed we have new blood. So, I wanted to be sure to encourage you to continue your forum experience. We can benefit each other in many ways by sharing our experiences. This space is for everyone and all opinions are welcome. Not everyone will see things like I do (thank goodness). It would really be a boring world if we were all little clones!

Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope you continue to participate!

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #42
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope you continue to participate!
Thanks. I've been stalking the forums for a while before I actually signed up.

Tonight was really fun. Very light crowd. Myself, daughter, and friend of mine did a three-person line shuffle where we kept trading off who was leading. Hadn't done that before and it was interesting to note each person's little quirks/style when they were leading.

Also my friend and I did this diagonal arm thing (not sure what it's actually called... saw it on a video a while back) which was really cool - we were trying to match each other's foot movements while holding our arms together in a certain way... dangit if I have no idea what it's actually called though.

And my daughter practiced shoot-the-duck... going backwards!
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #43
Derrick

Quote:
Thanks. I've been stalking the forums for a while before I actually signed up.

Tonight was really fun. Very light crowd. Myself, daughter, and friend of mine did a three-person line shuffle where we kept trading off who was leading. Hadn't done that before and it was interesting to note each person's little quirks/style when they were leading.

Also my friend and I did this diagonal arm thing (not sure what it's actually called... saw it on a video a while back) which was really cool - we were trying to match each other's foot movements while holding our arms together in a certain way... dangit if I have no idea what it's actually called though.

Aquiring new skills is my favorite part. Love it when the kids aren't afraid to learn.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #44
CKS

Quote:
We went to a different rink than usual a couple of weeks ago. The floor wasn't as nice, but it was practically empty - never more than 10 people skating. I tried a lot of new stuff, but cautiously (I'm pushing 50, and I've never been big on risk). My son and I both tried shoot the duck backwards. It wasn't that difficult to get set, but I turn sharply once my foot is up, making a lovely J shape on the floor. I don't know when I'll find a floor empty enough for me to practice it again, though. I also tried the coffin trick, but I caught my toe stop every time I got more than about 3/4 of the way down. Maybe I'll try again with plugs sometime.
CKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #45
GraySk8ter
73 (not dead yet)

Default What day is it?

It's hump day. Or in these parts, adult skate night. So some of the day's activity includes checking skates, wheels, bearings, toe stops, tools, carrying case, and safety equipment to be sure all is ready.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of safety equipment for adults. It has saved my bacon on several occasions. Even so, I do not overdue the safety aspect. I wear compression sleeves with rubber ring around the knee caps and wrist protection. That little bit of caution has kept me from experiencing some major complications.

Let's be realistic. We all will fall eventually! Some because of our proclivity to push hard and expand the envelope(learn new kicks), others because of hazzards on the rink floor(people and things), and then there is just barely loosing that edge and the wheels break loose. Kids that are growing have flexible bones that bend before they break. Not so with adults! Yet, most of the adult skaters I know do not use any safety devices.

Anytime someone tells me they are skating again after a period of abstinance, I highly recommend safety devices to them. I've met too many come-back adults that suffered injuries. This is a great sport for health and social reasons and we need to take care of ourselves. So we can skate another day!

Four years ago(not skating, not exercising), I was told I might require a stint to keep blood flowing in my arteries. But last year I went in for follow up, and was given a clean bill concerning my heart and arterial system. I had been skating two to three times a week for nine months.

OK forum members, has skating improved your life in some significant way? Share your sucess. Encourage others.

& Keep rollin
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #46
emtdpf

For me, knee injury took me out, 18 years later the other knee injury brought me back.

But , lets be realistic, skating isn't the only thing that is keeping me healthy.
Mt bike twice a week
Power hike twice a week
Skating twice a week
Snowboarding, winter hiking / camping in the winter

Plus a wife that is keeping me fed healthy

Pretty much Friday night is the only night I'm not doing anything, and I think that is going to end as my wife wants to go for a walk that night starting in a couple of weeks.....

This year bonus, my new skating partner is influencing my mental heath, in a good way!
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #47
Derrick

Default +1

Quote:
It's hump day. Or in these parts, adult skate night. So some of the day's activity includes checking skates, wheels, bearings, toe stops, tools, carrying case, and safety equipment to be sure all is ready.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of safety equipment for adults. It has saved my bacon on several occasions. Even so, I do not overdue the safety aspect. I wear compression sleeves with rubber ring around the knee caps and wrist protection. That little bit of caution has kept me from experiencing some major complications.

Let's be realistic. We all will fall eventually! Some because of our proclivity to push hard and expand the envelope(learn new kicks), others because of hazzards on the rink floor(people and things), and then there is just barely loosing that edge and the wheels break loose. Kids that are growing have flexible bones that bend before they break. Not so with adults! Yet, most of the adult skaters I know do not use any safety devices.

Anytime someone tells me they are skating again after a period of abstinance, I highly recommend safety devices to them. I've met too many come-back adults that suffered injuries. This is a great sport for health and social reasons and we need to take care of ourselves. So we can skate another day!

Four years ago(not skating, not exercising), I was told I might require a stint to keep blood flowing in my arteries. But last year I went in for follow up, and was given a clean bill concerning my heart and arterial system. I had been skating two to three times a week for nine months.

OK forum members, has skating improved your life in some significant way? Share your sucess. Encourage others.

& Keep rollin
For me it's wrist guards, they work very well. Saw an adult go down thursday and nurse his wrist. Seen it many times before.

I fall sometimes (twice thursday) trying new stuff, but in the center.

Also,I went with high top skates, (to protect my ankles, and it improves form) I tie them nice and tight. I don't like my foot to move in my skate even slightly. At least one retie in a session.

Can't quite bring myself to wearing a helmet though. I suppose knee support is in my future.
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #48
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I don't wear safety gear inside or out. Though I always recommend wrist guards and always the addition of a helmet outdoors.
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #49
Derrick

GreySk8ter,

Saw your post in the mini-blog about the older man who could no longer sk8

I have seen some wheelchairs out on the surface, never been a problem, less problematic than skate-mates.

I've wondered if there isn't a better sit down and be pushed solution that gets a little more of the feel and speed of skating.

Some of Our local special needs citizens come to the rink. Some are great skaters and some have other needs. I love that the local rink accomodates them.
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #50
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post

I've wondered if there isn't a better sit down and be pushed solution that gets a little more of the feel and speed of skating.
Depends on who is pushing them
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #51
GraySk8ter
73 (not dead yet)

Default Disabled rollers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I have seen some wheelchairs out on the surface, never been a problem, less problematic than skate-mates.

During our adult night, there is an older lady(probably younger than me) that has severe arthritis and has had one total knee replacement. Skating is her alternative to being disabled. Doctors expected her to not be able to walk or do much else, but she is determined to bear the pain and skate her way to more mobility. She can be seen applying creams to get the body parts lubricated and moving. She and her cane are now regular features on the floor. When the music moves her, she can still make good moves on the floor.

At the other rink I regularly skate at, there is a little girl(maybe 8 to 10) that is trapped in a wheel chair. She comes with her family and they take turns bringing her to the center of the floor and pushing her chair back and forth on the floor. One has only to look in her eyes to understand the beneficial effect. She is part of her family activity and part of the overall activity of the skating facility.

As long as rinks and their patrons can accommodate those with disabilities without endangering anyone, I am all for it. Placing wheels on our feet is hazardous enough all by itself. We just need to keep everything as safe as possible. Then maybe we can all enjoy the sport for a very long time!

Keep rollin

Last edited by GraySk8ter; April 10th, 2015 at 03:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #52
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Missing my wed shuffle skating.lol I'm skating outdoors everyday I can except sat. Sat I session skate with my kids.
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #53
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

We gotta get the kids together and go outdoors sometime. They want to go back to castle sometime soon. So maybe this summer
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #54
Kassus

FWIW, I won't go out onto the skate floor without wearing my wrist guards and neither will my adult daughter. What gets me is that no one else at either rink here in town does. They've saved my wrists from getting broken (or at least seriously injured) on at least three separate occasions, and I'm sure an equal amount with DD.
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #55
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
FWIW, I won't go out onto the skate floor without wearing my wrist guards and neither will my adult daughter. What gets me is that no one else at either rink here in town does. They've saved my wrists from getting broken (or at least seriously injured) on at least three separate occasions, and I'm sure an equal amount with DD.
Yeap. I agree here so much even though I don't wear mine. They minimally impact skating. Probably the least of all protective gear.
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:57 AM   #56
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

I had a little girl take me out 10 weeks ago when I was skating backwards. I sprained, or broke my wrist. It is still tender. I wore a brace for a while so it could heal. I don't wear any gear indoor, or outdoor. I know it would be safer!!
Falling forward I don't think I would break anything. I worry more about falling outdoors, and getting road rash.
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #57
GraySk8ter
73 (not dead yet)

Default Personal Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspeedskater67 View Post
... I sprained, or broke my wrist... I wore a brace for a while so it could heal. I don't wear any gear indoor, or outdoor. I know it would be safer!!
Everyone makes choices. We chose our equipment based upon what works best for us(and what we can afford). That includes safety equipment also. Most adults skate with no visible safety gear. Then there are a very few that appear to be derby skaters(minus the outlandish costumes). Seldom see anyone with a helmet, but it does happen on rare occasion.

I don't fall very often. But when it happens, I want to have a better than average chance of receiving minor to no injuries. So I wear wrist guards all the time. I feel naked if I happen to forget and get on the floor without them. Last year a little girl fell next to me and a flailing foot hit my skate and took me down. At that time I was not wearing any knee protection and I paid for it. The left Knee was weak and sore for about 5 months of healing time. I was able to find a knee compression sleeve to provide support and it also had a rubber ring around the knee cap. It kept me in the skating game while my knee recovered. Then I fell later in the year and slightly banged the right knee. Then and there I decided to get another compression sleeve for my right leg. Now I always have a compression sleeve with knee cap protection ring on each leg when I'm skating. They are under the jeans. Barely noticeable to anyone and they do not restrict my skating.

The talk about controlled falling is great, but it doesn't always work out that way. Crap happens! Yes - learn how to fall. But take additional precautions you are comfortable with. The time will come that you bite the dust. How much you gamble on the outcome is a personal matter. Only you can determine how much additional protection is warranted.

Additional protection has kept me rollin
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #58
Kassus

Quote:
So I wear wrist guards all the time.
^ Me too. I won't go onto the floor without them and neither will my adult daughter. For the longest time she thought I was being overcautious... until she took a nasty fall. Now she wears them all the time too. The two of us are anomalies at the rink; no one else wears them or any other protective equipment for that matter... but better safe than sorry. I saw a woman around my age break her wrist a couple of weeks ago and if she'd been wearing guards it would have been a loud hit and rattled her, but her wrist wouldn't have gotten broken.
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #59
Derrick

The wrist guards have protected me at least 10 times and it's the most common injury I see. Usually, the sprain is slight, but I dont need the pain. I now feel uncomfortable without them.
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:31 PM   #60
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Teaching the Young Skaters: Great Skating

Hi ALL,

Posting and might not reply. Yet this helps me think what I am going to do, or hope to do. It might also help me to be committed since I am treading on loose water on this idea.

Mort wanting to help kids learn faster crowd moves than derby, YET SAFE Skating like he does when skating. Mort does not want them to be reckless, yet still able to turn dimes in a crowd. I have some other adults I know like Mort, yet he on SLF is a regular. Anyway the dialog helped me formulate an idea.

I have this Great Center floor skater from the DR, that grew up skating and rink ratting, rink flooring in Florida that is just fantastic. Now we have talked about Richard (RollerDanceMan) yet he is a tad better at HIS skating style than Richard. To be honest you only see NY City skaters this good at his particular style. Even Lisa in the UK is not as good{Too much spinning}.

SO

I want to ask the management first at Roll On America.
and see if they can agree to some limited start learning.

Then I will ask my skating friend if he is interested.
^ Only GOD knows how this will turn out.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. Courage David, Don't be like the Scared Crow f/Wizard