S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 7th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Default Monthly Totals according to your GPS tracker

Mine for the month of April were as follows:

Quote:
Workouts: 26
Duration: 26h14m
Calories 24,252
Total distance: 67.02 miles
http://www.endomondo.com/stats/1673221

A few notes:
My distance to calorie ratio is skewed. Bowl miles don't come easy.
That calorie count did not include the daily situps/pullups/pushups.
I would have liked to see my workouts closer to daily. (I missed 4 days)
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:05 AM   #2
Thunnus

Wow only 4 days missed, impressive. My April totals:

Workouts: 16 (I try to skate 4 days/week)
Distance: 248.15 miles

I don't have a heart rate monitor so I don't trust the calories.
Thunnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Month Ending May 31:
30h:07m
27029 calories
28 workouts
74.72 miles (in the bowl)
750 pullups
1230 pushups
(the pushups and pullups do not appear in the calorie count above)

Best month in over a year!

http://www.endomondo.com/stats/1673221
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Hell, I'm dang near keeping up with Kladmin! Not bad for an old F.
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:29 AM   #5
ese002

For June (month ending 6/30/2014)

38 workouts
574 miles

Minor distortion due to a couple of commutes where the GPS would not sync.

Does anyone of a site that gives good totals *and* allows bulk uploads from files? Strava is the only one I found that does bulk uploads but gives only weak totals by week. All the others do only one file at a time.
ese002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Awesome ese002! Sorry I can't help with your question.

My monthly totals:
33hours 4minutes
29 workouts (1 better than with last month)
29116 kcals (more than last month)
99.3 miles
730 Pullups
1120 pushups

One of my most active months to date. My weight reflects it too.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:28 PM   #7
WJCIV

June is my biggest month. I actually lost a full week because of travel to/from and attendance at a conference and still managed:

Skating - 5.8 hours - 4275 calories (I'm missing a couple workouts. They're all indoors, so I only use the data if the heart rate monitor syncs, and there were some problems for a couple of weeks.)
Cycling - 11.7 hours - 10752 calories (188 miles)
Indoor Volleyball - 20.2 hours - 11667 calories (I think I'm missing 1 or 2 sessions)
Beach Volleyball - 9.5 hours - 5077 calories
Aerobics - 3.5 hours - 3008 calories

Total - 50.75 hours - 34780 calories. Plus a couple of untracked skating workouts, and maybe another couple of hours of volleyball.

I won't see these sorts of numbers again until next May/June.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
June is my biggest month. I actually lost a full week because of travel to/from and attendance at a conference and still managed:

Skating - 5.8 hours - 4275 calories (I'm missing a couple workouts. They're all indoors, so I only use the data if the heart rate monitor syncs, and there were some problems for a couple of weeks.)
Cycling - 11.7 hours - 10752 calories (188 miles)
Indoor Volleyball - 20.2 hours - 11667 calories (I think I'm missing 1 or 2 sessions)
Beach Volleyball - 9.5 hours - 5077 calories
Aerobics - 3.5 hours - 3008 calories

Total - 50.75 hours - 34780 calories. Plus a couple of untracked skating workouts, and maybe another couple of hours of volleyball.

I won't see these sorts of numbers again until next May/June.
DAMN!
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Thunnus

July 2014
17 skate sessions
258.53 miles
Thunnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 04:46 AM   #10
ese002

For July:

48 sessions
597.53 mi
Time: 55:59:35 h:m:s
Calories: 32,573 C

Max Distance for a single sesion: 71.06 mi (Last Sunday)
Max Avg Speed: 16.7 mph (Napa Valley Inline Marathon)

Last edited by ese002; August 4th, 2014 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Add calories
ese002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:01 AM   #11
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Good Lord ese002!!! Freaking cyborg.

29 total workouts. (steady for the past 3 months)
28.38 hours
26,546 calories
105 miles

(Jetski, dirtbiking and skating..... Almost every day)
Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:24 PM   #12
MLPearson79

12 workouts for 39.1 miles.

Big goals for this month.
MLPearson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #13
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

MLPearson, set your goals and post em here! This place, and the "what did you do today" thread kind of feed on themselves. Really good motivator.

What are you skating?
Old August 4th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #14
MLPearson79

I am on a pair of 12-year-old RB Lightning 10s that desperately need replacing and will be within the next month. I will miss them...they are long-time loyal companions and outlasted my ex-husband by almost double

I live near a 7 mile long paved trail that is great for down-and-back laps. It could be longer but I'll take it.

I run and skate. I made the mistake of signing up for the Indy Mini next year when the reg was super cheap so now I have to follow through. I also have a 5k on 9/3 and need to find a 10k for the fall. As far as skating goes, I have not ever raced but want to do CIM next year. My current long skates are about 10 miles. My 10k time is right around 30 minutes, which I realize sucks but will improve with work.

I could use some advice about skates. I am leaning towards Bont Semi-Race but am open to suggestions; my main question is the benefit of 110s over 100s. I have a small foot (size 4) and I feel like 110s will almost be ridiculously long...but if that's how it is, then so be it and I'll learn to love it for the sake of improvement.

Goals. 140 miles on wheels, and non-stop 5k on foot. I need to drastically improve core strength and flexibility as well, and drop about 10 pounds. Looking forward to some hard work.
Old August 4th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Awesome! Sounds like you've got a plan.

Being a skatepark rat, I can't answer your questions, but I'll bet one of these other folk will chime in.

In any event, welcome to the forums!
Old August 4th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #16
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLPearson79 View Post
I am on a pair of 12-year-old RB Lightning 10s that desperately need replacing and will be within the next month. I will miss them...they are long-time loyal companions and outlasted my ex-husband by almost double

I live near a 7 mile long paved trail that is great for down-and-back laps. It could be longer but I'll take it.

I run and skate. I made the mistake of signing up for the Indy Mini next year when the reg was super cheap so now I have to follow through. I also have a 5k on 9/3 and need to find a 10k for the fall. As far as skating goes, I have not ever raced but want to do CIM next year. My current long skates are about 10 miles. My 10k time is right around 30 minutes, which I realize sucks but will improve with work.

I could use some advice about skates. I am leaning towards Bont Semi-Race but am open to suggestions; my main question is the benefit of 110s over 100s. I have a small foot (size 4) and I feel like 110s will almost be ridiculously long...but if that's how it is, then so be it and I'll learn to love it for the sake of improvement.

Goals. 140 miles on wheels, and non-stop 5k on foot. I need to drastically improve core strength and flexibility as well, and drop about 10 pounds. Looking forward to some hard work.
Couple of quick questions: You are currently on skates with a 100mm set up, correct? In considering the Bont Semi-Race, are you looking for a skate that is more of a speed skate with a carbon boot? Do you have an idea of how long you want to skate with new boots?

Generally, if you are on 100mm wheels, you are probably best to stay there. My understanding is the RB Lightning 10s have 100mm wheels, unless I am looking at the wrong product. You could easily skate CIM in these kinds of boots, in fact, most people that skate that race do use a marathon style fitness boot. As for increasing your pace, that is really all about training.

For marathon training, I usually do two long skates, 20+ miles, an interval/hill skate (hills are important for Chicagoland because the course is full of them), a tempo skate (basically at race speed), and a take at least one recovery day. The other day will either be something technique specific, dryland, or weights depending on the time of the year.

For skates, if you like your current set up and want to stay with that kind of skate, get something similar. If you want to move toward a speed skate, opinions differ on whether to go with a high cuff speed style boot or a low cut speed boot specifically. I jumped from K2 Radical 90s to a Bont Jet 110mm set up without much trouble, but you will still have time to get used to the boot and skating without a cuff. I prefer the speed boot because you get more range of motion in the ankles which helps with technique. I put on a pair of K2 Moto 84s the other day and was shocked at how little range of motion there was in the cuff. I was considering the Semi-Race, but because my goal was to speed skate, I opted for a lower cut boot, and I am glad I cut out the middle step of the Semi-Race. Again, everyone who has been through this process has a different opinion. I think it totally depends on your goals. Are you planning on training for CIM 2015 with sights on racing the NorthShore Inline Marathon? Do you want to continue to skate fast and focus on technique to get you there? A speed boot may be better than the Semi-Race.

The Bont Jet is a fantastic starter boot. I had one for two years. Beware of Bont's sizing. Their boots fit differently. Connect with someone who can help you get the right fit because in any boot made of carbon/fiberglass, that is very important. They need to be tight, but fit, if that makes sense. I wear a size 8 to 9 in US street shoes, but wear a size 6.5 Bont boot.

As for wheel size, with a smaller foot, you probably want to stay on 100mm wheels anyway. 110s take a lot of power to push. Unless you are super powerful, 110s may not be the best way to go. I originally ordered 100mm wheels, but when my skates came, they had 110mm wheels. I don't regret staying with that wheel size because I can push those wheels, but for shorter people with smaller feet, it probably best to stick with a 4x100 frame set up.

Oh, if you like the idea of combined races, check out the Minnesota Half Marathon Duathlon. It is a half marathon skate followed by a 5k run. Race just ran last weekend, and usually happens the first weekend in August.
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #17
MLPearson79

I just took a look at my skates, and I actually have Lightning 05s, not 10s. I don't know how I never knew that. Anyway, they have 82s for wheels, so no matter which I choose it will be a jump up. I don't think these skates will accommodate 100s though.

Wheel size is one reason for the upgrade, the other is that as much as I like my skates, I feel like I could definitely be faster and that my skates are hindering me. I don't have any experienced skaters or a shop anywhere nearby, so I am sort of flying blind. I lean towards the Semi-Race because the cuff is higher and would seem to be better to start out on, as well as better for longer distance skating. I don't really have any desire for short distance speed skating. I welcome suggestions, as I honestly have no idea and will not likely get to try anything on.
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #18
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
I just took a look at my skates, and I actually have Lightning 05s, not 10s. I don't know how I never knew that. Anyway, they have 82s for wheels, so no matter which I choose it will be a jump up. I don't think these skates will accommodate 100s though.

Wheel size is one reason for the upgrade, the other is that as much as I like my skates, I feel like I could definitely be faster and that my skates are hindering me. I don't have any experienced skaters or a shop anywhere nearby, so I am sort of flying blind. I lean towards the Semi-Race because the cuff is higher and would seem to be better to start out on, as well as better for longer distance skating. I don't really have any desire for short distance speed skating. I welcome suggestions, as I honestly have no idea and will not likely get to try anything on.
I skate marathon distance on speed boots. It is very possible once you get used to the lower cut boot. I only skate outdoor, and only race outdoor. The shortest distance I race is a 10k in the spring, otherwise it is 3 marathons and a very fast half marathon just about every year. Long training skates are 25+ miles. Most of the guys I race with also regularly skate these distances on low cut speed boots. There are people that race the NY 100k and Athens to Atlanta in speed boots, too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Semi-races, though, and coming from the skates you are on, that is a viable option. However, keep in mind that the cuff height difference between the Semi-Race and Jet is only about an inch, and the cuff on the Semi-Race isn't articulating like on your RBs. I can't specifically comment on how much more support they provide than speed boots because I haven't used them, but the big benefit to lower cut boots, in my opinion, is the increased range of motion that allows you to sit deeper in the speed squat, and articulate your ankle more for double push and inside edge carving. Based on the wheel size, go with 100mm wheels regardless, I think 110s may be a bit much for you to push. I don't know if I know of a non-pro woman on 110s.

If you want something more like a fitness/marathon boot, you could also consider the K2 Radical 100, Tempest 100, or Powerslide Marathon. I wouldn't recommend the RB Powerblade because their one-point mount raises the deck height of the boot to astronomical levels that will sacrifice maneuverability, just my opinion, though.

Getting faster is a combination of technique and fitness. Checkout Powerslide's Powerskating tutorials: http://powerskating.powerslide.com/. There are a lot of great videos on YouTube also, like Sk8 Skool's technique drills.

As for buying skates, it may be worth a trip to Chicago to see Cale Carvell. He sells Bont and Luigino boots, and can help you with basic fit issues. Otherwise, you may have to go into Michigan to find another retailer. I know there are a group of guys based out of Indianapolis, so that could be an option, also. As for online, you can buy direct from Bont, or go through Inline Warehouse, Adam's Inline, or Glenn Koshi (who is an SLF member). I think you would benefit from trying on the Semi-Race next to the Jet or similar low cut boot. Glenn would be a good resource on the comparison between the Semi-Races and lower cut boots.
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #19
MLPearson79

Thanks, that is extremely helpful! If there are some Indianapolis folks you wouldn't mind steering me towards (or them towards me) that would also be great. I spend quite a bit of time on the rail trail here and see virtually no skaters, but Indy is only an hour away and I am often there on weekends (Terre Haute is short term for us and we really don't like it). We do pass through Chicago several times a year as well so seeing Cale is a possibility. Is it a reasonable expectation with speed skates to be able to try them on?

I do like my RBs but the boots are trashed and torn up in places. I didn't think of the articulation, so that's a good consideration. I need to take a look at pictures of people standing in various models to see where the malleoli hit inside the boot.

Thanks again for all this advice, and I didn't mean to thread hijack!

As far as the duathlon - some day! I have far more aptitude for skating than running, but running helps lean me out. It is SO much harder for me to even run just 3 miles than to skate 10.
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #20
WJCIV

Quote:
I don't have any experienced skaters or a shop anywhere nearby, so I am sort of flying blind.
You might. I skate out of Danville, IL, about an hour away from you (and where I live). A couple of months ago we got a new skater who can in from southeast Asia. I think South Korea, but I might be remembering wrong. Anyway, he also drives about an hour, and I'm thinking from Terre Haute. He actually studied with a boot maker back home, and seems to be about as knowledgeable about the theory and individual aspects of inline equipment as anyone I know. I don't know how much he knows the local brands. He would at least be able to guide you through the features if not the individual fits.

Our season restarts August 20, so I won't be in contact with him until then. You are welcome to come up too if you want to try indoor.

If you are willing to wait until October we will also be hosting the meet that month, and Dave from Great Lakes Skates should be there. He knows a lot about the brands, and if you contact him ahead of time he might bring samples in the right size if he has them in stock.

EDIT: If you want more details PM me or start a new thread.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote