S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:31 AM   #41
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

That is a little on the expensive side, considering they are just pours and not injections.

Glad they are offering some more cushions. I doubt my daughter cojl make the 80A's bend to her likes.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:02 PM   #42
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
That is a little on the expensive side, considering they are just pours and not injections.

Most cushions are just "pours" that get machined to remove the rough end. However when you have a unique cushion shape that no one else makes, you can charge all the marked will bare and then some.

Your comment about pouring is quite appropriate. Those cushions require more precision that the typical conventional cushion. They should be injected molded.

Glad they are offering some more cushions. I doubt my daughter cojl make the 80A's bend to her likes.
I doubt it too. I have trouble and I'm sure I weigh a bit more than she does.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:48 PM   #43
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I doubt it too. I have trouble and I'm sure I weigh a bit more than she does.
Honestly its like I need grip to make it turn like its really capable of. The 80A is still too tough for rinks that have little grip the way it ramps up. Though even if they did turn to the max on less grippy rinks, youd still need grip to make the turn itself, it still wouldnt happen.

I think a "clicker" would be best for making cushions, well sans injection moldings. Pour strips of the cushions urethane into the needed thickness. This would probably help make a more uniform cushion, and use a leather clicker to cut the bastards but the waste would be greater.... Hell we have one at work. I could make a die...... lol blah... mold injection for the win!

I actually want to get the kiddo off an avenger to an arius, but I need to get off my butt an modify my light blue cushions, see how they work.

What kinda Arius swag do you have there?

Maybe a weekend trip to mars is in order. Theres a kid here that wants to build a skate and is siding on a proline right now. He wears a 8-9 i think. I think he needs some skate perspectives.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #44
Kiepur_Inlein
'cause B!tch£s misbehave!

Quote:

Hey, Mort:
Yesterday, I ordered some 71a and some 74a (they now also offer 77a) Arius cushions from Jim at East Coast Rollersports,
Old July 30th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #45
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiepur_Inlein View Post
Hey, Mort:
Yesterday, I ordered some 71a and some 74a (they now also offer 77a) Arius cushions from Jim at East Coast Rollersports,
Do you use 80A already? Let me know how that little investment goes for ya.
Old August 4th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #46
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
20.00 a set MSRP (kinda) Pricy. On a per piece basis, as much as Roll Line cushions.

#122693 71A Orange (4)
#122694 74A Aqua (4)
#122695 77A Lavender (4)
#122696 80A White (4)
#122697 83A Light Blue (4)
#122698 86A Yellow Grn (4)
#122699 89A Royal Blue (4)
#122700 92A Red (4)
#122701 95A Hot Pink (4)

Just spreading the news.
interesting, who is selling the 71 through 77? I have only seen as low as the 80s on sale at various retailers.

----edit---------------
I just saw Kiepur_Inlein's post about where he found his.
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #47
skate mech

My soft Arius cushions just came in at Nerd Skates here in Calgary. I will get them installed and let everyone know how it goes.
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #48
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Default Resurecting this old thread cause... reasons...

Sorry to res this thread but it is the most relevant place to do so. In a search for getting more turning out of the Arius I tried removing the cushion pins.

It worked.

Is not much but I can feel the difference. Now to finish researching what urethane to use for a custom pour of ~65a cushions, any interest in this or softer? (i've tried 34a, was uncontrollable)
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #49
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I would not go so soft, more or less as removing some of tje urethane from strategic points. The softer you go the more uncontrolled its going to get. You need some compression in there and some firmness, next would be to remove arwas from where the urethane first starts to bulge. This will have the largest effect on ramp up resistances. Id think a diamond like shape
Like this
<=>-<=>
Would probably do well. Obviously the points wouldn't be as extreme, but more flat. However you would want the area tapered to some degree about 50% contact on the truck where it pushes the cushion in.

I think going much softer than low 70's will just be more stress on the urethane as its able to squirm out with less pressure, but your not making the amount of travel the urethane has to do any better.

I took my cushions out one day. That was near impossible to skate. But if i skates on my toes, all was fine. I currently use 80A and i dont know of anyone on any plates that can really out maneuver me. Same goes for my buddy on his proline, or another friend on his reactor, or one more guy on his probe plate. Lateral agility and grip thresholds matter a TON more than how much we can make a plate turn at slow speeds.

Although, if there is a lot of grip at a rink, like freshly coated, the amount of turning I can do is pretty damn ridiculous, as far as just making the plate edge over.
Old March 1st, 2016, 08:34 PM   #50
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
I would not go so soft, more or less as removing some of tje urethane from strategic points. The softer you go the more uncontrolled its going to get. You need some compression in there and some firmness, next would be to remove arwas from where the urethane first starts to bulge. This will have the largest effect on ramp up resistances. Id think a diamond like shape
Like this
<=>-<=>
Would probably do well. Obviously the points wouldn't be as extreme, but more flat. However you would want the area tapered to some degree about 50% contact on the truck where it pushes the cushion in.

I think going much softer than low 70's will just be more stress on the urethane as its able to squirm out with less pressure, but your not making the amount of travel the urethane has to do any better.

I took my cushions out one day. That was near impossible to skate. But if i skates on my toes, all was fine. I currently use 80A and i dont know of anyone on any plates that can really out maneuver me. Same goes for my buddy on his proline, or another friend on his reactor, or one more guy on his probe plate. Lateral agility and grip thresholds matter a TON more than how much we can make a plate turn at slow speeds.

Although, if there is a lot of grip at a rink, like freshly coated, the amount of turning I can do is pretty damn ridiculous, as far as just making the plate edge over.
Maybe I have defects then cause I am currently on the 74a teals, and was able to out turn myself on a modified Competitor plate and maintained control. Even with the pins removed it is not enough to match the SG plate with crazy skate cushions.

As far as why the 60 ball park, I am o 74a and have tried 34a so I am guessing at the effect of the 60 being between the two. Btw the 30a was much better than the no cushions setup.

I have btw tried the modification you proposed and was not happy with it. It was too hard to modify the cushions all the same and the result was inconsistant compared to the softer thane.

In the end, the Arius can't be fixed without completely redesigning the cushions and their containment in the truck.

I have a design which is in planning phase for a new plate which fixes all of those problems in theory and is adjustable like a traditional setup. I just need more research and information on a few aspects of the functionality of a skate in relation to geometry ect before I move to metal/plastic prototypes. So far I haven't found a plate on market, or in the copyright records, which uses exactly this combination or configuration of parts. Should be interesting.
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #51
snailmont5oh

Default This is gonna get wierd.

I started skating again a month ago, after a 20 year hiatus. Also, I weigh 350#. I was 260 when I quit before. I quit then because I kept breaking axles on my Satellites.

I just got a pair of used Ariuses (Ariui?), because I figured that they would be tough enough to hold me up without breaking, and because they had chromemoly 8mm axles.

I've been reading this thread, and I have a couple of crazy ideas. I'm no engineer, but I've done things with my Fairmont's suspension that make it hang with a poorly driven Corvette in the corners (the 347 makes it do it on the straights), so you know that I like to think outside the box.

First, what about inserting a piece of spring steel *inside* a soft butterfly cushion? As in, open the cushion wide, and stick the steel inside so that it would have to be bent for the truck to be installed on the plate. That way, there'd be some preload, and the urethane could control the bulk of the turning forces.

Next (and this one is really out there), how about designing some "trail" (motorcycle term) or "caster" (car suspension term) into the plate, or making it so that the weight on the plate makes it harder to turn? Think of it like this: When you're done turning a corner in a car, you open your hands and let the wheel slide through them. This is because of caster. It also causes the car to want to go straight.

By the way, nice to meet all of you. I hope this wasn't out of line.

Later,
Mike.

On edit: Maybe do something that let the plate fall slightly down a ramp (v-shaped) that made the truck want to be centered. Something very slight, so that it would be easy to overpower, but it would help the on-center feel. Think of the way the bathroom stall door closes itself with gravity as an example.

Last edited by snailmont5oh; March 18th, 2017 at 01:20 AM. Reason: More stupidity.
snailmont5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #52
fierocious1

Default I was thinking

magnets... Opposing but I don't have an arius so really don't know the mechanics of them.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #53
snailmont5oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
magnets... Opposing but I don't have an arius so really don't know the mechanics of them.
Actually, a couple pairs of neodymium magnets, placed properly, might do exactly what needs to be done.

Last edited by snailmont5oh; March 19th, 2017 at 02:34 AM.
snailmont5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #54
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Magnets needed to cause the same kind of mechanical resistance would be a bit heavy I would think. One would need at least 3 magnets per truck assembly. One for each side of the truck, and a "center" one for the resistance.

Though magnets wear out over time, they would likely last longer than a cushio
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #55
fierocious1

Quote:
Magnets needed to cause the same kind of mechanical resistance would be a bit heavy I would think. One would need at least 3 magnets per truck assembly. One for each side of the truck, and a "center" one for the resistance.

Though magnets wear out over time, they would likely last longer than a cushio
I thought so and the pivot pins would keep everything located making the magnets have a consistent position in relation to the trucks since the truck are supported. But a little weight too would depend on how powerful of magnets you are working with. I have some that are very powerful and are very small. 3 magnets per truck is what I had in mind as well, all set up opposing.
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #56
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Im more interested in axle upgrades, and axis bushing replacements. Using bearings instead of crappy plastic. The weigjt savings from using Ti axles will more than offset the weight increase from even 4 stacked bearings in the truck. Honestly wish it would be 5, but the truck is only 15mm, the orfice it sockets into has a space of 20.5mm. Wanting a truck that is 17.5 wide at the axis bore hole to stack 5 in lol. Then have a 1.5mm shim on each side to keep the truck from contacting the plates.

As for tuning, like doc said, using a Gen2 Truck, with Gen 1 Cushions. If you wanted to firm it up some but not to the next level, one could always drill and tap the hole for the gen 1 stabilization pin into the gen 2 truck, then have 2 different lengths of pins to choose from to fill the void. Only crappy thing is wheel removal to access those pins.
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:16 AM   #57
fierocious1

Quote:
Im more interested in axle upgrades, and axis bushing replacements. Using bearings instead of crappy plastic. The weigjt savings from using Ti axles will more than offset the weight increase from even 4 stacked bearings in the truck. Honestly wish it would be 5, but the truck is only 15mm, the orfice it sockets into has a space of 20.5mm. Wanting a truck that is 17.5 wide at the axis bore hole to stack 5 in lol. Then have a 1.5mm shim on each side to keep the truck from contacting the plates.

As for tuning, like doc said, using a Gen2 Truck, with Gen 1 Cushions. If you wanted to firm it up some but not to the next level, one could always drill and tap the hole for the gen 1 stabilization pin into the gen 2 truck, then have 2 different lengths of pins to choose from to fill the void. Only crappy thing is wheel removal to access those pins.
I see Arius flips in the future.... I would look at brass or self lubed bushing material to keep weight down. Chunk the plastic. The bearing install may weaken your frame if it required material removal. Again thanks to you and my Sweet wife, I have my flips back. Been using them a bunch lately.
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #58
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The bore hole is 12mm , there are deep groove radial ball bearings that size.
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:44 AM   #59
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Arius v2 with split cushions feels like magnets. With OG cushions, it skates similar to how a traditional kingpin setup would. There's a little bit of preload with the OG cushions but the resistance ramp up is relatively linear. Anybody shave down the OG cushions for gen2 trucks? The preload is small enough that it doesn't bother me, but maybe it would for some people.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #60
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
The bore hole is 12mm , there are deep groove radial ball bearings that size.

There are. There are also flanged radials that could be used on each end and maybe give you 5 bearing stack you are looking for.

Tags
arius, cushions, custom, mod