S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old June 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #41
Dragon soaring

Default Hi

Started skating early 80s street half pipes and such. Stopped for awhile then in 1990 my brother gave me his RB lightings that were so big I stuffed my ski boot liners in them.(ever shed a snow half pide on a set of old school 205 skis?) I found I liked it. I started street skating again took to pipes and bowls drainage ditches ect. Broke a lot of wheels. I was glad when hyper made the first real street skating wheels. Then the term aggressive skating took hold and like skateboarding everything went to the tiny technical tricks. Rail slides and such. I moved into mountain biking (rode those in pipes too) then a few years ago I compressed 2 vertabre in my back after I blew a landing. So no more big air for me ever so I bummed around trying things for a couple of years then I booked a birthday party at the local rink for my son gabbed a pair of old skated I had on the shelf. Got on the floor powered thru sume crossovers.

Now I want to speed skate indoors short track!!!!

I'm in Denver so any one know of a local speed team or ring that has speed/racing sessions?

Thanks

Chris kinslow
Dragon soaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #42
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon soaring View Post

I'm in Denver so any one know of a local speed team or ring that has speed/racing sessions?

Thanks

Chris kinslow
USARS Club Finder. You want S NC (Speed North Central). Depending on where in Denver you are, it looks like the closest club is in Brighton or Colorado Springs.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #43
Dragon soaring

Thanks MaN
Dragon soaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #44
Banshee
Noob

Default Hiya!

The name's Banshee, because I am unafraid to make my presence known, and often make people upset because I don't stay quiet for long.... Unless you make me mad, that is

Anyway, I was a member of SOS Speed team out of Bethlehem Skateaway in (kinda obvious now) Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. I had to leave the team due to many different things, for now I'll just say moving to a different town, when I was about 12 years old. I recently rediscovered my skates in storage and, miracle of miracles, they still fit! Imagine my delight

HOWEVER, after 8 years of not even really looking at them, I have no idea how to do more than clean out my bearings, and even then I had to find a tutorial of sorts online to remember what kind of lubricant to use on 'em. So, I started googleing my questions, and stumbled upon this little goldmine (or at least I hope this can be a gold mine to me...)

I'll probably be posting as often as I have a question, which means at least once or twice a week (on average) Once I have myself back into proper skating form, I may look into joining another team or possibly just skating on the streets of Philly. Thanks in advance for any and all help, even if it's just saying you can't give an answer, but know of someone who may know what to say ^_^
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #45
Letme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Thanks in advance for any and all help, even if it's just saying you can't give an answer, but know of someone who may know what to say ^_^
Uh, you're complicated! For starters just go out and skate, but then you will realize that the old 80mm wheels just dont go fast anymore. Then you should break the piggy bank and go out and buy yourself a pair of new speed skates again and just then the fun will multiply. The 100mm wheels (if you're women) will provide with perfect ride for longer skates on streets and trails in your vicinity. After that you will soon end up on some inline marathon and then you're hooked!

Welcome to roller speed skating.
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #46
Mirche

Hallo everybody,

My name is Miroslav, but my friends call me Mirche. I'm 50 years old journalist, from Belgrade, Serbia (former Yugoslavia).

I'm skating from summer of 1991. and my first skates was "California Pro", first and only model in our shops back then.

Few years ago I buy Bont Jet for my son, and Bont Semirace for me, but for some reason did not use it until last october. Then, I try it and discover whole new world

Now I'm completely hooked, and skating becomes second most important thing in my sporting life, just after Arsenal Football Club.

I'm skating alone, around local lake, on the 8 km track, and my PB lap is 19,01 minutes. This track is nice but very dirty and crowded, and I hope that I will improve my PB to under 18 minutes this year, on early winter, when temperatures drop to 10-15 degrees C, and lake road become empty.

On the same track my PB halfmarathon this summer was around 53 minutes, and one and only marathon was just under 2 hours.

My goals for this year are HM around 50 minutes, and M under 1.50 h
After that I will buy some better Bont boots, and try to improve, little by little.

I know I'm very slow for most speed skaters around here, but that's why I'm here, to ask, to listen, to learn, to find something new, and to improve.

Thanks in advance!
Mirche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #47
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letme View Post
Uh, you're complicated! For starters just go out and skate, but then you will realize that the old 80mm wheels just dont go fast anymore. Then you should break the piggy bank and go out and buy yourself a pair of new speed skates again and just then the fun will multiply. The 100mm wheels (if you're women) will provide with perfect ride for longer skates on streets and trails in your vicinity. After that you will soon end up on some inline marathon and then you're hooked!

Welcome to roller speed skating.
I took eight years off and started practicing again 3 years ago. 80s worked just fine for me the first year. I got a hand-me-down set of 90s the second year, and didn't shell out for 110s until halfway through the third.

If you aren't going to compete, stay with what you have unless the itch really starts to get to you. Sure, you work a little harder than your teammates, but that is a good thing when trying to get back into shape, right?

Besides, if the 165 mount really makes a comeback this year, you don't want to spend the money on a pair of 195 mount boots right now.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #48
laurens

Hi all,

I'm new in town

I'm from Belgium and almost 30 years old. I skated a lot in my childhood. Since five years, I resumed my hobby and I'm a member of a local skate club. My current setup consists of Bont Z-boot, 4x100mm Matter MaxG wheels and semi ceramic bearings.
laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #49
Pragmatist

Default How do you like your Max-G's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurens View Post
Hi all,

I'm new in town

I'm from Belgium and almost 30 years old. I skated a lot in my childhood. Since five years, I resumed my hobby and I'm a member of a local skate club. My current setup consists of Bont Z-boot, 4x100mm Matter MaxG wheels and semi ceramic bearings.

Hi,

I noticed that you skate on the Matter Max-G wheel and was wondering what your thoughts are about them. I'm trying to decide between the Max-G and the Matter G-13 wheels. I only train outdoors on average to good surfaces.

Some have said they have all the features of the G-13, but with a better 'grip' which would be helpful ó especially on portions of the Northshore Marathon where there is too much exposed aggregate, making it bumpy and even slippery at times.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum!

Pragmatist ~
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #50
bagonails

Default introduction

hello my name is Jerry and I skate on the Auburn team. I have been skating a little over 3 years. I have coached skiing for 25 years and am very interested in the learning process. When I first saw speed skating at the rink I thought it looked a lot like skiing and I expected it to be easy. It is the hardest sport I have ever done! I am aiming at achieving a really good technique. I have enjoyed reading the posts on the forum in the past and hope that there will be someone out there who will be able to answer some of the questions that I have about the sport.
bagonails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #51
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagonails View Post
hello my name is Jerry and I skate on the Auburn team. I have been skating a little over 3 years. I have coached skiing for 25 years and am very interested in the learning process. When I first saw speed skating at the rink I thought it looked a lot like skiing and I expected it to be easy. It is the hardest sport I have ever done! I am aiming at achieving a really good technique. I have enjoyed reading the posts on the forum in the past and hope that there will be someone out there who will be able to answer some of the questions that I have about the sport.
Hi Jerry
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #52
MiltonChris
bOoGie -, bOoGie

Default :)

New to the forum, I was trying to keep up with one of the speed skaters the other day.. ' I was on 'is heels for like 5 minutes but man..

That was aLL I Hadd it was Way on the edge..! totally that's the fastest I've ever gone ..! So, I plan on racing all you guys with my quads..
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #53
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonChris View Post
New to the forum, I was trying to keep up with one of the speed skaters the other day.. ' I was on 'is heels for like 5 minutes but man..

That was aLL I Hadd it was Way on the edge..! totally that's the fastest I've ever gone ..! So, I plan on racing all you guys with my quads..
Some of us skate both bro! Can you attend he 8 wheels event this year? 22nd of September, in south amboy new Jersey.

I hear ya about pushing yourself to keep up. Some of my friends got speed inlines, i still skate a rec skate with 80mm hockey wheels on a 275 mm frame. I tear them guys up tho lol even when im dieing.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #54
ITskater

Default Hello to all

I'm new to the forum as well as speed skating. I'm 47 and have skated indoor sessions most of my life but nothing more. I started working out in February when our rink started a new speed club. In NE Ohio we are trying to build up teams again and most are new to speed like myself. I've ended up in the unusual position of assistant coach since I can be at the practices the regular coach can't make. Our rink has mostly teenage kids on the team but I also practice with another team where there is mostly adults. I hope to get advice from all the veterans here on the do's and don't's of coming into the sport.

I skate quads and just recently started inline as well. The inline speed boots are taking some serious getting used to but I'm determined to get it. I get a little better every time I wear them.

Denis
ITskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #55
Low-boots

Denis:
Welcome!
If you're interested in getting to some additional speed practices, check out PortageSkates.info... RollerHutt in Garrettsville.
I think practices have slowed down post-Nationals, but will pick up pretty soon.
RollerHutt is one of the teams Iin the NE Ohio circuit... dates are posted on the website... for both inline and quads.
Hope to see you this season !!!
Low-boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #56
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-boots View Post
Denis:
Welcome!
If you're interested in getting to some additional speed practices, check out PortageSkates.info
Don't forget the www or it doesn't work.
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #57
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Hi, I'm new here.
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #58
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Hi, I'm new here.
Uh Oh, there goes the neighborhood... From one aggro convert to another, welcome. Punks and speed weenies get along surprisingly well.
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #59
clayassassin

Default New to the forum

Hi All!

My name is William and I am new to the forum.

I started skating on and off about 12 years ago on rec skates, and over the past several years have skated increasingly more often on the local path. Having enjoyed it and having been told by my Dr. to start getting some exercise, I began skating the 9 mile path almost every night. The rec skates started to feel clumsy and I wanted to learn to go faster, so I began looking for something better which has lead me here.
Iíve been mining the forum for data for several weeks, looking for where to buy new skates, what equipment to buy, where to skate, what teams are in my area, etc. So far itís been a good source of knowledge and I hope to meet some of you in the future. Skating is a recreational activity for me, so although I am looking to train hard and learn to improve my skating, Iím not interested in jumping into the competitive side. My handle, Clayassassin is due to my main hobby, which is competitive shotgun target shooting where I compete in roughly 100+ competitions a year as one of the top competitors in the state.

Regards,
William
clayassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #60
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayassassin View Post
Hi All!

My name is William and I am new to the forum.

what teams are in my area, etc.
Regards,
William
You don't say what area you are in.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote