S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old April 1st, 2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Naomi

Default Slalom Skaters - Introduce Yourselves!

Hey hey, I'm wondering what other slalom/cone skaters on this forum think of our having our own 'introduce yourself' thread? We're such a small and growing type of skating in the US that its still pretty intimate particularly on this forum, and I'm keen to know who is out there, particularly in the US - I only really know about those that allow me to teach or coach them, and those that write to me.

If people are up for this, I'll kick it off:

Name: Naomi Grigg
Location: UK, but looking to change that. Pretty much live on the road.
Equipment for slalom: Seba Igor skates, Gyro wheels, Twincam IQL-9 bearings.
Favourite slalom trick: maybe actually 'the Italian'! It feels so good and can be done fast.
Events?: Yes. formerly as competitor, but now as 'very concentrated spectator' (judge) or organizer.
How long skating & slaloming: 16 years skating, 7 years slaloming.
Other info: Umm... can't think of anything to write here, but wanted to encourage everyone to write anything they want about themselves...!

Last edited by Naomi; April 1st, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM   #2
DKB

Guess I'll be next then........

Name: David Brown
Equipment for slalom: Seba High skates, Seba wheels, not sure what bearings I've got at the moment. They are just the standard bearings my Sebas came with
Favourite slalom trick: Mabrouk - although that may change once I can nail down Alternating Crazy!
Events?: Yes. Was in Battle US last year, hoping to make San Fran this year.
How long skating & slaloming: 17 years skating, 7 years slaloming.
Other info: I have attended workshops with Naomi 3 times, done one retreat with her and have attended workshops that Dennis Palmer has done. He's a member of Naomi's Skate Freestyle team.

I started out doing what I term American style slalom: 9in tall cones spaced 6 feet apart, usually on a hill. Then I met Dennis and discovered freestyle slalom. I highly recommend doing a workshop or retreat with Naomi! If you find yourself in the Boston area, or live in the Boston area, stop by Memorial Drive on Sunday afternoons starting the last weekend in April. I'll be out practicing each weekend weather and schedule permitting!
DKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

Name: Rink Rat
Equipment for slalom: Rollerblade Twisters w/Seba 231 frames, Hyper 250 wheels and the cheapest bearings I can find.
Favourite slalom trick: Holding up Cliff's water cooler and drinking from it while still moving on my skates.
Events?: No. Strictly non-competitive, metaphysical enjoyment.
How long skating & slaloming: 7 years skating, 15 hours slaloming (cumulative time).
Other info: I, too, have attended Naomi's workshops. They're a hoot, plus you'll learn a lot. She taught me the crazy and the barrel roll. That means she could teach you anything!
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM   #4
dougp

What, is the newcomer trying to shake things up?

Name: Doug Persons
Equipment for slalom: Seba High skates, sometimes Seba, sometimes Gyro wheels.
Favorite slalom trick: Sun.
Events?: I've been to all the Battle US event, and PSWC 2008, as a competitor, but haven't been very competitive
How long skating & slaloming: 6 years skating, 5 years slaloming.
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM   #5
stacy

Guess I should jump on the bandwagon.

I'm Stacy. I live in Seattle, and I've been doing for slalom for 5 years. My current skates are the Seba Igors, which I love. I do go to competitions, though I actually hate competing, but I love meeting other skaters. I'm not sure I have a favorite move. I tend to fall back on the Sun a lot, and I'm working on mastering the Screw.

In the interest of full disclosure, I also sell Seba skates at skatecrazy.net.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:22 AM   #6
Danielle

Name: Danielle
Equipment: Twister Plus w/Seba 231 frame & Seba Highs
Favourite tricks: Crazy sun, volt, front volt
Events?: No
How long skating & slaloming: 5 years / 3 years
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Crazy sun
oooh that was the trick that I always used to see when I was starting out in slalom, and think 'wow, when I can do that, then I'll have arrived - I'll be a proper slalomer'.

You're in New Jersey - there might be a little battle in New York in August if we can swing it - would you come? And do you know Eriald?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:23 AM   #8
Danielle

[QUOTE=Naomi;378379]oooh that was the trick that I always used to see when I was starting out in slalom, and think 'wow, when I can do that, then I'll have arrived - I'll be a proper slalomer'.

Yeah, I had I think a 2 hour lesson with you in NY a couple of years ago.
I actually learned crazy sun after watching you do it afterwards at the bandshell in Central Park.

I do skate w/Eriald & the rest of the skaters. I would definitely go to the battle...compete, not so sure. I think Skali is in NY in Aug., is he involved as well?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Naomi

Oh yes! I'm so glad you're still slaloming!

Skali doesn't take part in the comps that are used in most countries (Battle or WSSA classic), so I don't think he would take part, but I'm sure he'll come & hang out if he's in town - he's a nice, friendly guy. I'll email him now actually.
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #10
KirstenML

Thanks, Naomi. Good idea. I am curious how many more slalomers there actually are in the US.

Name: Kirsten
Location: Chicago, IL but I am from Germany. I have lived in the US for 6 years
Equipment for slalom: Getting used to my Seba FR1s with deluxe frame and my beloved Hyper Wicked Glass Hockey wheels. Had Rollerblade Fusions until a few weeks ago.
Favourite slalom trick: I know that sounds very beginner but I always fall back to the backwards criss cross. I like the sun and mabrouk as well
Events: Did a few races for fun like 24hr Montreal, SFO marathon but no slalom events yet. Hoping to make it to Battle US
How long skating & slaloming: 10 years, 2 years slaloming.
Other info: I'm organizing Windy City Inline Skaters. Check us out at www.windycityinlineskaters.com and Skate with us should you ever visit Chicago.
KirstenML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenML View Post
Thanks, Naomi. Good idea. I am curious how many more slalomers there actually are in the US.
I'm trying to collate that information at the moment, creating a state by state contact database, and you'll be surprised how the numbers are accumulating! I think the US freestyle skaters association forum has thousands of members.
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Nellie

Well, I'm not in the US, but never mind:

Name: Nellie
Equipment for slalom: Decathlon (?? not sure, because I got them on eBay) artistic quads with 62mm Kryptonics Route wheels (indoors: 55mm Roll-line Magnum 53 D or 50mm generic simple quad wheels), 94A skateboard bushings, tight trucks
Favourite slalom trick: definitely the Crazy Sun (the only cool-looking trick I can do well)
Events?: Much too bad, but might go just to watch
How long skating & slaloming: 8 years skating, 1 year slaloming.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #13
GregT

****NOTE**** On all other message boards, my member name is atlsk8r. However, someone else already has that name here, so I'll be GregT. Sorry for the confusion

Name: Greg

Skating Disciplines: freestyle slalom, street, speed

Current Skates: Seba High Deluxe (2008), Pinnacle speed boots

Past Skates: Loads of K2s, Rollerblade Twister II, Harper speed boots

Favorite Tricks: Hard to call them "favorites", more like "habits". They are: 1) crazy variants, 2) crazy leg variants, 3) lots of turns - basically anything that keeps me from successfully making my way down the entire line of cones in a run. I am partial to Mexican and its derivatives. Not a big fan of technical stuff, but Naomi has recently taught me some more advanced moves.

Events: BattleUS 2009, Miami Mini-battle 2010, Athens-to-Atlanta (A2A) ultra-marathon

How long skating & slaloming: Skating - 12 years or so? Slalom - almost 2 years.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #14
control

name : todd

equipment : twister 243s and seba highs

events : nope

favorite trick : i can stand up on skates, woo!

experience : ~1 year of slalom. i was lucky enough to have a few hours of Naomi's time last spring, and have been harping at her to come back ever since. I've resorted to tempting her with bribes of chocolate, we'll see how it goes
control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #15
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
I've resorted to tempting her with bribes of chocolate, we'll see how it goes
Chocolate? You should try that chip again - I doubt I could resist!
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #16
evilzzz

Name: Evilzzz, Van
Equipment for slalom: Seba FR1
Favourite slalom trick: Probably the tricks that I can do well are the Sun & the Mega.
Events: Not up to competition standard...
How long skating & slaloming: 3 years general skating, on/off slalomer. Currently trying to become a semi competent speedster, so I've not dodged a cone in anger all year. That will probably all change next year though.
Other info: I have Naomi's old Problades!
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #17
KryptoRon

Name: Ron
Location: The Netherlands/Holland. Planning to move to the USA next year.
Equipment for slalom: Powerslide FSK Cell 2 2009 model.
Favorite slalom trick: No favorites yet.
Events: Nope.
How long skating & slaloming: Skating for 14 years or so, on and off. Slalom... not even 2 weeks
Other info: Aggressive skater the first 6 years. Had a "little accident". Got someone else s skate in my mouth, broke several teeth, heavy concussion.... stopped aggressive skating for a long time, tried to pick it up several times, but didn't like it anymore. Did some fitness skating on and off since, and discovered slalom skating about a month ago.
KryptoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #18
Naomi

Evilzzz, I have hardly skated in my lovely pink Bonts that replaced the Problades! I've been so preoccupied with ditching or storing all my worldly possessions...

Ron, where in the US are you planning to move to? I might be able to hook you up with local slalom skaters, I'm building a state by state contact network.
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #19
Infinity
Bayside Team Slalom

Australian slalom skater woo!~ ._.

Name: Anthony
Equipment for slalom: Seba KSJ 2.1 + Gyro wheels
Favourite slalom trick: Heel seven
Events?: 2nd at Melbourne Rookie 09 + 2nd at Melbourne Easter Showdown 2K10 + 2nd at Melbourne Series #2 + 49th Haining 2010 + 55th Chuncheon Leasure Games 2010 + 5th at Melbourne Easter Showdown 2K11
How long skating & slaloming: Skating = 13 years, Slalom = 2 years
Other info: Rec. Aggressive. Hockey; done em all~

Last edited by Infinity; June 1st, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #20
KryptoRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
Ron, where in the US are you planning to move to? I might be able to hook you up with local slalom skaters, I'm building a state by state contact network.
Going to be Orlando or Sarasota depending which school I'm getting into . Would be great if you can hook me up with some people around there when the time comes ^^.
KryptoRon is offline   Reply With Quote