S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:29 PM   #41
RIC0
Skatin Hillbilly Style
 
RIC0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wifes $hit List, Indiana
Posts: 540
Default

Double an i love em
__________________
Doin the possum trot !!!!
RIC0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:12 PM   #42
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiedellSk8r View Post
i know this is a old post but i was wondering do the 8 balls have double shields or single
8 balls used to be full shield one side, clear plastic other side. I believe there were cracking issues with the clear plastic, mostly during disassembly and they've went to the full shield both sides now.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #43
quantoo
Senior Member
 
quantoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,563
Default yeah still got mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
8 balls used to be full shield one side, clear plastic other side. I believe there were cracking issues with the clear plastic, mostly during disassembly and they've went to the full shield both sides now.
and the clear plastic shields are cracking
now they are full shields your right.
top value for money bearing and i think they may edge out my bones swiss 7 balls but they didnt outlast them.
next im goin to get another set of 8s and two sets on stealth black ball ceramics and make a set of killer ceramics with 8 balls,providing bll dia is the same.hope it worx
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #44
Jazzy
Member
 
Jazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 89
Default

I love my 8balls but the shields always deform when I take them off. I've been able to flatten some of them out but I'm basically running 1 shield on most of my bearings now. Next cleaning could result in me buying more bearings.
__________________
Wikko Skates Custom, Roll-Line Killer, Rollerbones Turbos 97A
Bont Hybrid Carbon, Avenger Mg, Rollerbones Turbos 97A/88A, Qube 8-ball
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #45
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It
 
swolltitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 1,488
Default

Thats one plus for Bones bearings, when you jack up the shields, you can buy more.
__________________
Riedell 395 Redline, Ultimate III, Bones Swiss, Ultimate Weapons
Bont Jet, XTech IS, Bones Swiss, Hyper G Truth
swolltitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #46
bub
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 38
Default

Hi I use the 8 Ball and I do like them and I also like the Gold as well Regards BUB
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #47
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,119
Default

Anyone have. Micrometer where they can chek.the inner race thickness of these 8balls. They have my interest
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #48
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Anyone have. Micrometer where they can chek.the inner race thickness of these 8balls. They have my interest
Inner race thickness?

ID of inner race is 7.915mm +/- .01. They are 6.95mm wide.

That's from a brand new one. Hope I got what you meant by thickness.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #49
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Inner race thickness?

ID of inner race is 7.915mm +/- .01. They are 6.95mm wide.

That's from a brand new one. Hope I got what you meant by thickness.
No. I mean the thickness not the width. Seen here in post 3 on my thread


http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50613

Mic'n the inner race thickness.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #50
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
No. I mean the thickness not the width. Seen here in post 3 on my thread


http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50613

Mic'n the inner race thickness.
Ahh. I see. I get 12.48mm consistently on my old ones. That's with the inner race all the way out. The balls in the 8ball's are the same size as the ones in the ballscrews on my little mill, so the balls got donated when I was having a little slop issue on the x axis. They work pretty good in that application as well.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #51
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Ahh. I see. I get 12.48mm consistently on my old ones. That's with the inner race all the way out. The balls in the 8ball's are the same size as the ones in the ballscrews on my little mill, so the balls got donated when I was having a little slop issue on the x axis. They work pretty good in that application as well.
Yea my whole choice in a bearing also inludes the thiknes of the inner race. One that has been achined away will not be as good at strengthening an axle as one with a thicker inner race. For this reason I believe that 8 ball bearings may do better for this application. Since thy use smaller balls there should be a little more thickness in the inner race.

The qube juice have thin spots on the inner races where they cut it to fit their shields and a lot of bevel to the outer race. Me no likee!
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #52
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Yea my whole choice in a bearing also inludes the thiknes of the inner race. One that has been achined away will not be as good at strengthening an axle as one with a thicker inner race. For this reason I believe that 8 ball bearings may do better for this application. Since thy use smaller balls there should be a little more thickness in the inner race.

The qube juice have thin spots on the inner races where they cut it to fit their shields and a lot of bevel to the outer race. Me no likee!
Well, one of us will eventually positrac one of the bearing spacers with a notch or pin or something where both inner races lock together so we can go muddin with em. lol.

Definitely though - 8balls better than qube juice just for two sided shields. And black, and 50 dollars. Can't beat em. I have spare inner races and outers from the Qube 8's if you need any. I just needed the balls out of them at the time.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #53
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Well, one of us will eventually positrac one of the bearing spacers with a notch or pin or something where both inner races lock together so we can go muddin with em. lol.

Definitely though - 8balls better than qube juice just for two sided shields. And black, and 50 dollars. Can't beat em. I have spare inner races and outers from the Qube 8's if you need any. I just needed the balls out of them at the time.
Makes me want a set of ceramic 8 ball 608's. . If what you say is true then the 8 ball versions with a correct spacer and nice axle nut would virtually become a 12 mm axle when assembled correctly.

Dont you skate rinks in the northwestren region of West Virginia?

I was up @ skate country a while back and didnt have anything but inlines at the time. Freaking wouldnt let us skate there. Thats fine, but we called in advance beforehand and no one on the phone mentioned it was a "quads only" rink. Makes me wonder why...

I went to the Marietta rink instead with 4 other skaters. I didnt feel like wearing rentals all flippin night.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #54
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Makes me want a set of ceramic 8 ball 608's. . If what you say is true then the 8 ball versions with a correct spacer and nice axle nut would virtually become a 12 mm axle when assembled correctly.

Dont you skate rinks in the northwestren region of West Virginia?

I was up @ skate country a while back and didnt have anything but inlines at the time. Freaking wouldnt let us skate there. Thats fine, but we called in advance beforehand and no one on the phone mentioned it was a "quads only" rink. Makes me wonder why...

I went to the Marietta rink instead with 4 other skaters. I didnt feel like wearing rentals all flippin night.
Well, here's my bearing theory that's never been answered. Currently both the inner race slop around the axle and the outer race slop around the wheel. What if both were anchored, what would the performance increase be if we were truly running on the bearings as they were meant to roll? Positrac would be the first step in that. The inside doesn't turn any faster than the outside and both would share the load. It's an interesting idea, but I can't figure out how to lock them together efficiently. It's always at one or two points and it needs to be all the way around. Like a spline or something. Problem isn't the spacer, problem is modding the bearing without destroying them.

Anywhoo. Yep, Skate Country. Quads only. We don't get many outside travelers though for sessions that aren't parties. With such a large rink, kids on inlines become kamikaze's instantly. Like the injuries just skyrocketed. It was like mid-90's when they were outlawed, so I figure they just think everyone knows at this point. I skated at Marietta for a while as well. Music system much louder, but blue roll on floor instead. :/ Most fun ever was had there. With the poles, you can do a figure 8 around them, just like figure 8 racing and meet in the middle. It should be a sport of it's own.

If you ever come up again for quads, lemme know, I'll get you free passes. I still haven't made it to Grand Prix in Charleston. I'll get dragged down there for Dow work eventually, so kinda waiting that one out.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #55
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Well, here's my bearing theory that's never been answered. Currently both the inner race slop around the axle and the outer race slop around the wheel. What if both were anchored, what would the performance increase be if we were truly running on the bearings as they were meant to roll? Positrac would be the first step in that. The inside doesn't turn any faster than the outside and both would share the load. It's an interesting idea, but I can't figure out how to lock them together efficiently. It's always at one or two points and it needs to be all the way around. Like a spline or something. Problem isn't the spacer, problem is modding the bearing without destroying them.
Well I have done just this with a set of poison wheels. I used loctite on the outer races and bought some precision cut spacers. The wheels roll great. They dont grip well nymore, the wheels have been used alot and could use a regroove to remove the cone effect I'm sure they have.

The "slop" on the inner races really doesnt matter much once you lock down the assembly by torquing on the axle nut. If your a perfectionist to the max however.. you can use shim stock.

Heres a little read for you.:
http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/skatebearings.htm

When i originally fixed the outer races in my poisons I noticed the larvest difference in how they reacted to standing on one axle. Since the plastic hub became fused with the outer race the support of the wheel increased, the bearings rolled better and shared the load on the wheel. I also have the MSC counterbore tool mentioned in his page. It does a fantastic job.

Whats kind of funny about an assembly like that is the trademark noise you would usually make pretty much vanishes. When everything is torqued down nothing can rattle. And if you ask me what we really hear is the bearings rattling on the axle. A harder wheel amplifys this sound. So ceramics with aluminium hubs and hard urethane gets damn loud.(got to try that setup a few weeks ago) . Add a spacer an lock it down and the noise is almost impossible to make. He rattle then is between the outer races and the hubs.

I could make a video of this sometime. Just run a few "T-stops" drills with the same wheels with and without spacers. Then when I get around to it a fused/glued assembly video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Anywhoo. Yep, Skate Country. Quads only. We don't get many outside travelers though for sessions that aren't parties. With such a large rink, kids on inlines become kamikaze's instantly. Like the injuries just skyrocketed. It was like mid-90's when they were outlawed, so I figure they just think everyone knows at this point. I skated at Marietta for a while as well. Music system much louder, but blue roll on floor instead. :/ Most fun ever was had there. With the poles, you can do a figure 8 around them, just like figure 8 racing and meet in the middle. It should be a sport of it's own.

If you ever come up again for quads, lemme know, I'll get you free passes. I still haven't made it to Grand Prix in Charleston. I'll get dragged down there for Dow work eventually, so kinda waiting that one out.
They should just let me skate my inlines there. . If they think kids on inlines were fast then they wont let us use anything but rentals anyways Scottie Thompson is a beast on quads. Best quad skater I've ever seen. When we come up I will let you know. With the new plate on my vanillas tho(Arius) my blades really aren't much faster if at all.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #56
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,119
Default

.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy

Last edited by Mort; April 6th, 2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: dur
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #57
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls
 
elemental's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: youngstown
Posts: 1,684
Default

eh...gen ones were less than impressive, and left a bad taste in my mouth. so i refrain from qube bearings now. its hard to beat bones reds.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #58
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Well I have done just this with a set of poison wheels. I used loctite on the outer races and bought some precision cut spacers. The wheels roll great. They dont grip well nymore, the wheels have been used alot and could use a regroove to remove the cone effect I'm sure they have.

The "slop" on the inner races really doesnt matter much once you lock down the assembly by torquing on the axle nut. If your a perfectionist to the max however.. you can use shim stock.

Heres a little read for you.:
http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/skatebearings.htm

When i originally fixed the outer races in my poisons I noticed the larvest difference in how they reacted to standing on one axle. Since the plastic hub became fused with the outer race the support of the wheel increased, the bearings rolled better and shared the load on the wheel. I also have the MSC counterbore tool mentioned in his page. It does a fantastic job.

Whats kind of funny about an assembly like that is the trademark noise you would usually make pretty much vanishes. When everything is torqued down nothing can rattle. And if you ask me what we really hear is the bearings rattling on the axle. A harder wheel amplifys this sound. So ceramics with aluminium hubs and hard urethane gets damn loud.(got to try that setup a few weeks ago) . Add a spacer an lock it down and the noise is almost impossible to make. He rattle then is between the outer races and the hubs.

I could make a video of this sometime. Just run a few "T-stops" drills with the same wheels with and without spacers. Then when I get around to it a fused/glued assembly video.


They should just let me skate my inlines there. . If they think kids on inlines were fast then they wont let us use anything but rentals anyways Scottie Thompson is a beast on quads. Best quad skater I've ever seen. When we come up I will let you know. With the new plate on my vanillas tho(Arius) my blades really aren't much faster if at all.
I did a couple spacers that were just a tad oversized to lock the inner races as best I could and then extended the length so I could torque them down and hit titanium instead of the inner race, but haven't had the chance to roll them. The suspension on my Roll-Lines still isn't correct and they aren't going anywhere till I get that issue solved. I hadn't thought of loc-titing the outer race though. Like I'm going to get it perfect and then it will change weather and I'll have to rip it all apart. lol.

The other thing that was happening with the inlines here is people were bringing them in from outside and getting tiny rocks everywhere. It's fine on roll-on because they just indent into the roll-on, but hard wood it will crack the wood or stop the quad wheels dead in their tracks. Those itty bitty rocks are insanely hard to find on the floor in the dark as well. I feel like the made the inline ban for the benefit of the quad skaters, so I'm a-ok with that. Quad skaters don't get many victories when it comes to inlines these days. lol. The inliners have a small skate park with the skateboarders just up the road now that is pretty nice as well.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #59
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,119
Default

Yea I know what you mean by inlines possibly tracking in rocks. And I have ate $#!7 due to rocks skating and skateboarding indoors and out.

I dont typically roll my rink skates outdoors. Let alone without changing to some busted up wheels.


As for bearings and spacers your typically looking at a 20 degree window for indoor skating, so if you set things up at 70 your golden. Even if the metals have different expansion rates. The critical part is assembly and alignment. You will want to use a system that Pushes everything together evenly. And uses pressure while cureing the loctite. This will keep your alignment while the nut is cranked down.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #60
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

As for bearings and spacers your typically looking at a 20 degree window for indoor skating, so if you set things up at 70 your golden. Even if the metals have different expansion rates. The critical part is assembly and alignment. You will want to use a system that Pushes everything together evenly. And uses pressure while cureing the loctite. This will keep your alignment while the nut is cranked down.
Wish that were true. It's uncoated, so it's slick as all get out unless you are able to adjust pretty frequently to the changing conditions. Even humidity differences at the same temperature puts the optimum duro I can run up or down 3 or 4 A in wheels. So it's a frequent thing for me to have to change them. Even debris, especially loose ball bearings will put me on a two piece wheel or risk shattering the ceramics that I love so much. It's a delicate balance for sure.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.