S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 11th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default Lufkin Rink...

Usually I have to go down to 93a (Shamans) or previously 90a Grip (Faster). Last weekend I made one change but also found out the owners cleaned the floor. I finally opened up the compression on my F1 plates to the max (since recovering from broken bone in my foot). This is the loosest I have ran them so far and now would have to go to a combination of Blues.

Anyway last Saturday, traction was phenominal on the Green Shamans. So this weekend I have put the 97a Shamans on, traction is there! I have never been able to run this hard of a wheel in all the years I have skated here. Monzas may be in order in the near future. And the floor is never recoated, it has a special clear floor seal with graphics painted in.
Realy enjoying new found ant-slip...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #2
0u812
"Taz"

Exclamation Old skateland

I ran much harder wheels there, and in the rink on 59N. Red Devils...........YEA baby!
Old March 17th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0u812 View Post
I ran much harder wheels there, and in the rink on 59N. Red Devils...........YEA baby!
Must have been a long time ago... dont know about a 59n rink. 69n in central had a cement floor and has been sold and out of business for many years.
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #4
fierocious1

After having such good traction last week I ordered Monza 98a wheels. Going to Champions and break them in today. I'm hoping these grip as well as the White Shamans as I have never skated a modern wheel this hard. With the floor coat only a few months old I'm hoping the traction limits are still not found...
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:38 PM   #5
AZSHOT

I went to my normal rink with green Shamans last week, and was surprised they were less grippy than my usual orange Cannibals. Yep, softer wheels, more slide. I couldn't figure it out, but didn't like it, so changed back to the orange after 30 min and before the speed skate.

I had used them there before, and they seemed too slow/grippy. This last time, slick. I have no clue why.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:17 PM   #6
0u812
"Taz"

Lightbulb Lufkin Rink

Just looked at the map, it was 69N vs 59N. When I skated there in '79-'80-'81-'82 I was sure it had a wood floor. Same owner as the other rink. They probably could tell ya.
Old March 24th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #7
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0u812 View Post
Just looked at the map, it was 69N vs 59N. When I skated there in '79-'80-'81-'82 I was sure it had a wood floor. Same owner as the other rink. They probably could tell ya.
When I was in high school the n69 rink was cement floor, hard.. LOL Back then if you were fast on that floor you were on the Roller Sports Urethane wheels. That was just about the only wheel that would grip there. At the time I was about 145# so they didn't bog down. A few years later I got my hands on the Fan Jets. But never did go back to that rink. Jim Stover owned both rinks at one time.Then he sold the n69 rink. Jim and Lola still live in Lufkin and built a home into the back of the rink and live there now.
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:34 AM   #8
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
After having such good traction last week I ordered Monza 98a wheels. Going to Champions and break them in today. I'm hoping these grip as well as the White Shamans as I have never skated a modern wheel this hard. With the floor coat only a few months old I'm hoping the traction limits are still not found...
At first I thought blues were too soft. But if you crank down on them, they start to feel nice.

The looser suspension gives you more traction. Lets you run a harder wheel.

I have to borrow the 98a wheels for a couple laps. I got a set of 101a. Way too hard. I'm currently running what I think is a 98a and it's still too hard.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 12:09 PM   #9
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
At first I thought blues were too soft. But if you crank down on them, they start to feel nice.

The looser suspension gives you more traction. Lets you run a harder wheel.

I have to borrow the 98a wheels for a couple laps. I got a set of 101a. Way too hard. I'm currently running what I think is a 98a and it's still too hard.
For me I have settled on the yellow cones against the trucks, top and bottom, with purple cones against the plates. I find the blues too soft for me as I squish them when trying to find the sweet spot. Well I'll find out if I can hook up in Lufkin tonight, if work gets done today at work on time. I'll be able to go there and check it out. But yes, the traction is awesome on DA45s. In the future I may attempt blue cones again, also want to try some new not so wide washers on the bottoms of the KPs. I keep destroying yellow cones, blew one out last week. That makes 2 in 6 weeks. They are not crushed either, I attribute the damage to increased action and possibly to to narrow of bottom washer. The washer needs to be wider but not wide enough to hit the trucks. I have marks on all my trucks from the washers hitting the truck cushion clearance pocket.
I could not believe how well the 98s ran at Champions. Sticking like velcro.. LOL