S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 13th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #1
wired

Default Cutting "fiberglass" wheels

A skater at the rink managed to badly flatspot one of his SK8 Fanatics 32mm "Fiberglass" wheels. While normally noisy this wheel made things quite loud. Since the wheels didn't feel like fiberglass I gave them a try on my lathe.

"Before" picture. I had turned the badly flatspotted wheel (2nd from right bottom row) and it smoothed the ride so much he decided to have me do them all. Normally I cut entire sets after finding the smallest wheel but the sizes on these were all over the place in my opinion. The largest wheel was 1.297" and the smallest was 1.243". The flatspotted one was between 1.284" and 1.277" depending on where you measured. I had turned it to 1.270" before this pix was taken.

No, I don't think thousandths is the way to define tolerance in skate wheels but I'd venture tenths isn't either. Apparently these were originally sized on a wheel grinder which isn't exactly a precise machine. It does make pairs fairly close since most grinders I have heard of do two wheels at a time.

Cutting on the lathe. A bit messy due to the powdery nature of the swarf. I ran the cutter both ways for a finer finish and finished the edges with a file.

Finished set. Nice and smooth. 1.243" to 1.246"

The skater thinks they may be too smooth now since they are so much quieter. Me, I like that!

My guess is the material is some sort of phenolic. It's certainly not like any sort of fiberglass I have seen and certainly does not cut like the fiberglass and polyester resins that I usually associate with that term.

Old March 13th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Vampyre

From all the red dust that seems to match what I have seen ground up fiberglass strands and epoxy look like, I would think they are definitely something at least similar to fiberglass. The finished wheels look almost like wood grain on my pc.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default I'm surprised.

The results look hella nice!
Old March 16th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #4
JHB
Shuffling Member

Definitely looks like phenolic. We use phenolic sheet, with a chisel edge ground on, as sealant scrapers in the aviation industry. I'm very familiar with that red dust...