S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 6th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #1
1204RDsk8ter
Sk8 Vet

Default Bearing Noise/Vibration... What's Normal?

Hello,

I've been skating on Bones Swiss bearings for a little over a year now. Before I had been using Abec 9s.

I skated on the Abec 9s for close to 6 years and they were always pretty noisy and I could feel the strong vibration through the boot of the skate.

In my latest upgrade about a year ago, I upgraded from what were about $300 skates to Riedell 395s, Labeda Prolines, Hyper Shaman's, and Bones Swiss bearings.

I chose the Bones Swiss specifically because the reviews I read said they were "smoother".

Anyway, to the point:

I had been skating on the bearings for about 3 weeks when I started to really notice the bearings didn't seem any smoother, possibly even rougher than my 6-year-old Abec 9s. Whenever I spin the wheels with my hand they sound extremely loud. The best way I could describe the sound is It's like metal grinding against metal. I figured they weren't broken in and decided to give them time.---

About 6 months later the only improvement I noticed was they were rolling longer but no real improvement in sound or vibration. So I headed to the internet and looked up how to clean and lube them. I popped the bearings out of the wheels and used a paperclip to remove the shields to let them sit in warm soapy water for about 30 mins, took them out and let dry outside for 3 hours, added 2 drops of Bones speed cream in each bearing, put the shields on and popped the bearings back into the wheels. ---No Difference---

Originally this wasn't bothering me, I had decided it was normal for them to sound like they do. This was UNTIL I started paying more attention to other people's skates. Someone I hadn't seen before came to my local rink and he was showing me his skates, talking about parts etc.. --- Anyway, I noticed his bearings were basically silent compared to mine. I'll admit they still had some noise but not half as much as mine. I also couldn't feel near the same level of vibration in his skates compared to mine.

Ultimately this is what caused me to raise my eyebrows to start looking into what's wrong.

The person who built my skates, whose name I really want to shout but won't, wasn't very professional and scarred up my Prolines when it could have been avoided simply by using washers. One plate is also noticeably closer to the toe of the boot compared to the opposite side. Not that this relates to my main question, but I'm already fairly ticked. ---

Am I being too picky, is there a problem, or is there improvement to be had? I'm all for getting the most performance and I feel nothing should be sacrificed when using high-quality products.

Note: Every wheel/bearing is affected. It doesn't seem to be isolated, although it is worse in some bearings compared to others.

If anyone has any questions, advice or want's to add anything all is appreciated.

Thanks

1204RDsk8ter-
1204RDsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:20 AM   #2
WJCIV

It almost sounds to me like someone cleaned your bearings and didn't lube them afterwards. Or used such a thin lubricant that it spun out. Once you don't have any lubricant the metal of the balls does grind against that of the races and wears out the bearing. Once the bearing is worn in this manner the damage cannot be undone, so even cleaning and lubing won't get you back to that smooth feeling and sound.

If your bearings sound noisy you should add 1-2 drops of lube even if you don't clean them. By noisy I mean grinding, not the swishing noise of the lube being pushed out of the way by moving wheels (if you use a liquid lubricant - grease doesn't make this sound). That may mean you have too much lube, but the extra will drain out in time. It may take time and practice before you know the sounds of bearings. Ideally there is no sound, but certain amounts of certain sounds are fine.

I don't particularly like the idea of using water to clean bearings, and even less so letting it air dry afterwards, but you said the problems started before that.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1204RDsk8ter View Post
Hello,

I've been skating on Bones Swiss bearings for a little over a year now. Before I had been using Abec 9s.

I skated on the Abec 9s for close to 6 years and they were always pretty noisy and I could feel the strong vibration through the boot of the skate.

In my latest upgrade about a year ago, I upgraded from what were about $300 skates to Riedell 395s, Labeda Prolines, Hyper Shaman's, and Bones Swiss bearings.

I chose the Bones Swiss specifically because the reviews I read said they were "smoother".

Anyway, to the point:

I had been skating on the bearings for about 3 weeks when I started to really notice the bearings didn't seem any smoother, possibly even rougher than my 6-year-old Abec 9s. Whenever I spin the wheels with my hand they sound extremely loud. The best way I could describe the sound is It's like metal grinding against metal. I figured they weren't broken in and decided to give them time.---

About 6 months later the only improvement I noticed was they were rolling longer but no real improvement in sound or vibration. So I headed to the internet and looked up how to clean and lube them. I popped the bearings out of the wheels and used a paperclip to remove the shields to let them sit in warm soapy water for about 30 mins, took them out and let dry outside for 3 hours, added 2 drops of Bones speed cream in each bearing, put the shields on and popped the bearings back into the wheels. ---No Difference---

Originally this wasn't bothering me, I had decided it was normal for them to sound like they do. This was UNTIL I started paying more attention to other people's skates. Someone I hadn't seen before came to my local rink and he was showing me his skates, talking about parts etc.. --- Anyway, I noticed his bearings were basically silent compared to mine. I'll admit they still had some noise but not half as much as mine. I also couldn't feel near the same level of vibration in his skates compared to mine.

Ultimately this is what caused me to raise my eyebrows to start looking into what's wrong.

The person who built my skates, whose name I really want to shout but won't, wasn't very professional and scarred up my Prolines when it could have been avoided simply by using washers. One plate is also noticeably closer to the toe of the boot compared to the opposite side. Not that this relates to my main question, but I'm already fairly ticked. ---

Am I being too picky, is there a problem, or is there improvement to be had? I'm all for getting the most performance and I feel nothing should be sacrificed when using high-quality products.

Note: Every wheel/bearing is affected. It doesn't seem to be isolated, although it is worse in some bearings compared to others.

If anyone has any questions, advice or want's to add anything all is appreciated.

Thanks

1204RDsk8ter-
Using thin lubricants requires regular maintenance. I have used grease forever. I took apart skates that were in storage for over 20 years that my brother skated on when we were both younger and the bearings were just fine, no issues.
The difference of speed in a bearing using grease or light speed lubricants is negligible. But maintenance between the two is not. Spinning a wheel by hand is not a good indicator of how a bearing will work under a load, but it can indicate looseness. Some bearings do make more noise than others, this is true, but if they are not flopping loose internally then they should be good to use.
Harder wheels will vibrate and give you a better feel of the floor that you don't see on softer duros. The harder wheels produce more sound than soft ones especially on course floors or floors that have not been sanded perfectly smooth. Seams of the floor will jar you and the wheels will sound when you hit the seams. Soft wheels are quieter. I ran softer wheels long ago and was surprised at the wheel noise when I started using harder wheels.
Possibly it is a combination of things producing the noise.
Using a grease will make the bearings quieter and maintenance will be done for a long long time as long as you skate indoors.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #4
wired

Quote:
If they were mine I'd contact Bones about sending them in for evaluation and possible replacement.

Old March 6th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #5
RollerBones

The lighter the lubricant, the louder the bearings. We do NOT recommend cleaning bearings in soapy water. The bearings come with recommended cleaning instructions. hit me up if you have any other questions. isaac@bonesbearings.com
RollerBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #6
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Bones Swiss are usually smooth right out of the box.

The described cleaning method didnt do the bearings any favors. I use hot water in my ultrasonic cleaner. The bearings are submerged for maybe 5 minutes. The water gets knocked out and blown dry with a hair dryer immediately after coming out of the ultrasonic tank. Lubrication is added immediately. Using water is tricky because corrosion can happen very quickly.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #7
1204RDsk8ter
Sk8 Vet

Thanks for the Reply-

I just cleaned my bearings in 91% rubbing alcohol and added 3-1 motor oil and they seem to be rolling much better. There are two bearings that are still really rough. Not sure what to do about them.
1204RDsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #8
wired

Quote:
Not sure what to do about them.
If they were mine I'd take up the offer three posts up.

Most all reputable skate manufacturers stand behind their products. Usually you contact them, describe the problem, sent the part(s) and get repair or replacement. Beats the heck out of dissatisfaction!

Old March 15th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Thanks for the Reply-

I just cleaned my bearings in 91% rubbing alcohol and added 3-1 motor oil and they seem to be rolling much better. There are two bearings that are still really rough. Not sure what to do about them.
Skate them hard for 2 sessions(forwards and backwards skating with some hard cornering), clean and re-lube, repeat, if it doesn't start to get better, contact Bones.

Are you also sure that the wheels are of quality tolerances to KNOW it MUST be the bearings?

**edit** reviewing your OP, Hyper Shamans(presuming they are new production runs) should have immaculate bearing bores.

Are you using spacers? also how much play does your wheel assembly have on the axle?(side to side movement of the wheel on the axle)