S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:46 PM   #1
kentek

Default ..that skating muscle

You know the one I am speaking of: lower back pain after tough dbl push workout.
It is aptly pronounced SORASS but it is spelled PSOAS.

There is a good exercise to activate it and make if stronger:

o Lay flat on floor on your back
o Lift one leg only with toe pointed out
o Lift only about 8 inches.
o Do 3X 20 reps on each leg

They will hurt like hell first time you do these.
Sure helps me.
kaw
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:13 PM   #2
kufman

Don't forget to stretch out the front of your hips so that the PSOAS doesn't get abused by the quads and hip muscles. I have had lots of trouble with this.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #3
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Hate to say it, but core work also helps tremendously.

I have been doing a simple routine before crawling into bed:

200 bicycle kicks (5 x 40 w/ 10 second rest between sets)

2+ minute plank x 1

That's it and it really helps. Your core supports everything that stems off of it. (I guess that's why it's called the core. )
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentek View Post
You know the one I am speaking of: lower back pain after tough dbl push workout.
It is aptly pronounced SORASS but it is spelled PSOAS.

There is a good exercise to activate it and make if stronger:

o Lay flat on floor on your back
o Lift one leg only with toe pointed out
o Lift only about 8 inches.
o Do 3X 20 reps on each leg

They will hurt like hell first time you do these.
Sure helps me.
kaw
I have two suggestions that may also help
A triggerpoint roller, EMS sells them as do good bicycle shops, roll your hips and lower back, the IT band, anything you can get on the roller [get the wide one] kneel on it and roll your shins~~~heaven

We have an Inada Dreamwave massage chair and it taught me an excellent stretch{sucker grabs your legs and hips and manipulates your pelvis}, you want to be in a reclining beach lounger so you can brace your feet, recline, and suck your belly in and tuck your pelvis, hard, now stretch your right hip upward and hold it, then your left, it took me a few weeks before I was loose enough to really stretch it, and it hurt, but now the flexibility is great, and methinks that stretch will attack exactly your tight muscles, it sounds like lifting your leg is doing the same, I'm thinking that attacking the muscle with a stretch rather than loading the muscle might be more efficient.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #5
santisport

Default lower back pain

Ileo Psoas is in the front hip, not in back, and its function is hip flexion.
Cuadratus Lumborum is the one generally stressed besides paravertebrae muscles, you can browse internet lot of ways of stretching and strenghtening them. but if you are not a begginer, and you train a least 3 times per week, IŽd rather say its a technique issue, Those muscles are trying to stabiize the torso generally when line of shoulders is not parallel to line of hips.
santisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #6
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by santisport View Post
Ileo Psoas is in the front hip, not in back, and its function is hip flexion.
Cuadratus Lumborum is the one generally stressed besides paravertebrae muscles, you can browse internet lot of ways of stretching and strenghtening them. but if you are not a begginer, and you train a least 3 times per week, IŽd rather say its a technique issue, Those muscles are trying to stabiize the torso generally when line of shoulders is not parallel to line of hips.
http://bowen.asn.au/muscle-and-joint...and-back-pain/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrqEeTrmsyU
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Trixton

The worst part about having a desk job is the shortening of the hip flexors, psoas included. I stretch them every chance I get, but it's not enough to offset the hours I spend sitting each day. I walk around outside the office during working hours about 5-10x more frequently than my colleagues, at least. Still, not enough. One day, I might invest in a standing desk.

Stretch your legs and hip flexors, it will get your lower back as well.
Walk around whenever possible, especially if you are seated for most of the day.
Don't forget to strengthen the antagonist muscles. For psoas/hip flexors, that means glutes, etc. See below...

Prime Mover: Psoas
Synergists: Iliacus, tensor fascia latae, rectus femoris, anterior adductors (especially pectineus), sartorius.
Antagonists: Gluteus maximus, biceps femoris (long head), semitendinosus, semimembranosus, posterior head of adductor magnus.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote