S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:37 PM   #1
jcardin

Default My Short Wheelbase Inline Triskate

So, I wanted a short wheelbase inline triskate for using at skating rinks and in general. That pretty much meant closely spaced wheels around 80mm or less.

I figured 3 wheels would give just enough grip and wear slower than having only 2. Also, I wanted the feeling of a full rocker or as close to the wheelbase of a quad or ice skate.

As such, I got a used pair of 5x80 speedskates on ebay for less than $100. I figured they would work per the description and pictures. They have 3 mounting slots on both the front and the back of the frame which is about as versatile as I could hope for.

I was only interested in the frames (and wheels somewhat). I am also planning on simply cutting off the front and back wheel "forks" so they are out of the way, rather than rockering with extra unneeded wheels.

The frame should maintain its integrity as there are upper cross bars/sections between the 1st and 2nd and 4th and 5th wheels. So, there will still be support bars at then ends of the frames even after cutting off the excess ends/wheels.

I was able to directly mount them to some Powerslide Metropolis SUV boots which I already have with no need for modding or tweaks. See the picture prior to my (soon to be) cutting of the frames here:

https://scontent.fbna1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...c6&oe=5947B357

These are on my small sized 7.5M boots - imagine how much shorter the wheelbase would be for someone with big feet!

I have already skated them with the frames untouched and they feel really responsive and super agile. I especially like that I can spin on one foot with all wheels level instead of having to resort to leaning forward or backward on the toe or heel wheel.

Lastly, I may decide not to cut off the fronts though, if I can figure out how to add a toe stop/brake to the frame.

Surely, someone else has at least rockered a 5-wheel frame setup before no?

Fun Stuff!
jcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 02:16 AM   #2
slowsk8

Or you could get a "pic skate" think they still make one short 3 wheel with a toe stop.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:44 AM   #3
jcardin

Default Interesting

I've never heard of those pic skates before.

I went to their website and saw their products including frames only and an "urban" type.

They come with either 68 or 70mm wheels it seems. The most unique feature looks to be the pivot ball thingee at the toes.

Should have known someone made an ice skate with wheels type product already and a long time ago (90s).

I think 80mm is perfect for me though.
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:35 PM   #4
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardin View Post
Should have known someone made an ice skate with wheels type product already and a long time ago (90s).
inline skates and roller-figure-skates way pre-date "rollerblades". In 1946, in a celebration for the restoring water flow to the fountains at Peterhof (Palace of the Russian Tzars) after Germany destroyed Peterhof at the end of WWII... skaters were part of the festivities.

Old February 5th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #5
darthblader

Cool piece of nostalgia there!
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Vadim

In Soviet Union we have inlines since after WWII.

My dad owned ones in 70-80's. They usually came without boot, so it was just frames in modern understanding. People attached them to whatever they want, dad's ones were attached to some kind of boxing/wrestling high boots, no pics unfortunately

Typical construction was like above: standard front and back "carts", riveted together with bridges of different length, soviet engineers unified different lengh frame production this way.
Wheels were 66 mm with one bearing and side caps on bolts.

1962 movie "Queen of the petrol station"

5:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpCEIPq3bbQ#t=5m39s
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Love what you're doing, wish I were creative like that! So far they look good. Did you cut the back off yet? How are you rockering them, by using different wheel sizes? Post more pics.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #8
jcardin

Default Update

I have cut the backs off so far and filed down the sharp edges. I will still probably do the fronts as well but right now I have some tiny plastic wheels as placeholders.

The skates are super light and agile. I have skated all around Nashville's Centennial Park and even gone down some hilly (but smooth) bike paths. This gave me the chance to do lots of carving and spin stops to control my speed.

I did notice the back wheel gets worn much faster than the other two and I will continue to rotate the wheels to get as much life out of them as I can. It's just so easy and natural to tend to lean back on that wheel due to its more forward location.

Biggest downside is that the 3 80mm wheels don't handle the really rough pavement very well, so I either have to try walking over or avoiding it altogether.

So far, I am very pleased and those powerslide boots give very solid support.
Old February 11th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #9
jcardin

Default Pic Update

I went ahead and decided to fully shorten the right skate frame.

Here is the pic:

I'm still holding out just a bit longer on the left front's frame separation as I may continue to keep a smaller rockered wheel there or add a rubber stopper of some sort.
Old February 11th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #10
bjvircks
Major Trouble

from a safety point of view... I'd strongly suggest significantly rounding off the pointed front. If you go down it is not likely you'd hurt yourself... but you might just kick a friend or child with the points. When out trail skating with my group I know for a fact that kicked my sister in law in the helmet once. International ice speed skating regulations require ice blades to be rounded off to the radius of at least a penny. There is no performance reason for your frame to be pointed, only styling.
Old February 12th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #11
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
. There is no performance reason for your frame to be pointed, only styling.
That may have the cross bracing.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:58 AM   #12
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Looks beautiful! What does it feel like to skate on? Have you spent any amount of time on them yet? Also, what are you used to skating on in terms of inlines?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #13
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
That may have the cross bracing.
yes... very true... but the bracing can be preserved and the end can still be significantly rounded. I wouldn't want to be around someone wearing those.