S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old December 16th, 2016, 02:03 AM   #61
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dutch View Post
I have the same problem. I'm blind in my left eye. It seems that every time I skate backwards a kid falls so that I can't see them and I end of going "boom"
I'm known at my local rink and know the "tiny" bobber floor guards---- so they Kinda protect me rear for me now!!
I suggest lots and lots of transitions from front to back, back to front. Right eye for normal transitions. This will teach you to transition around trouble.
Old December 20th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #62
Sir Dutch

Smile Sir Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueSkate View Post
Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions. I must say that I can skate backwards, pushing my feet from side to side. And actually fairly smoothly. As mentioned by mass_quads, I believe it is the transitions that I fear. And also the not being able to "see" over my shoulder. Of course I know my best resolve is practice, practice, practice! I will certainly take into account the sight advice and work harder on the transitions. I wish I had room in my home to practice, unfortunately I do not. However, I will be at the rink tonight and spend 1/2 hour just doing transitions and goose necking.
Oh how I wish I had to rink to myself...lol. Falling is never pretty when surrounded by laughing kids.

I'll keep you all posted as to my progress.

Blessings
I love to skate backwards!! However, I am blind in my left eye. Problem is, it seems every time someone falls it's on my left side and of course I don't see them--and unless someone warns me -- I go "boom!" so-o- when the rink isn't to busy I skate backwards and sometimes after the general session is over I stay and practice my dances, new skating tricks, and of course backward skating. Hey, at age 84 I "ain't" gona quit!!
Sir Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #63
Sir Dutch

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Yea, I used to have a looking at my feet habit. Takes some doing to stop. As your posture and style improves that should stop. But to nip it, try starring at the corner between the ceiling and walls way out in front of you as long as you can. Congratulate yourself when you can remember to do it for a whole song, then 1/2 hour, then whole session.

Don't tighten the wheels to where they slow down. Safety should be some concern, but you did just strap wheels to your feet.
Sounds to me that you have a "plan" Keep the back straight, knees bent, head held high(snub nose look). I look at the top lights on the concession stand and or lights nears the ceiling. Took awhile, but know when I skate this way, you could lay a quarter on the floor and I would be able to spot it!! Everything takes time but usually ends of well worth the efforts!!!
Old December 20th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #64
Sir Dutch

Smile Sir Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueSkate View Post
I wish I had somewhere to practice the falling techniques. I thought about trying some falls on the living room rug, but for some reason I just can't make myself fall...lol...try it!, it's a lot harder to do than to say.
We are having a special session tonight at our rink. All disco music! Costume optional. Hubby is going to be a hippie and I am dressing like a 70's diva. Who knew that roller skating could be so much fun?!
What's interesting about skating is one never knows what or when something is going to happen. I was at a general skating session, a young women taped me on the back. It was a skater that I have competed against. She ask me if I would help her with one of the dances. Heck ya!! I started out was going up the hill (towards the center) raised my right leg and immediately knew I was to far back on my heel and of course went "boom" She caught me on my error, but understood what I was trying to teach her!!
Old December 23rd, 2016, 08:10 PM   #65
Sir Dutch

Smile Sir Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafira View Post
I'm with you Mort.

I'm dating someone who is a blackbelt in numerous martial arts as well as an instructor. When I said something about a fall skating, he said "you need to learn to fall correctly" and showed me some techniques.
Next time I fell I slammed down hard the same old way. When I told him, first thing out of his mouth "have you been practicing what I showed you? you need to make it muscle memory because you don't have time to think about it when it happens".
Of course I haven't been practicing. Ouch.
After skating for over 72 years, 've had my share of fall skating backwards. But I have learned to know that I'm going to fall and I try and relax my body.
So, far that has worked. But every think takes time!!
Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:05 PM   #66
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dutch View Post
After skating for over 72 years, 've had my share of fall skating backwards. But I have learned to know that I'm going to fall and I try and relax my body.
So, far that has worked. But every think takes time!!
The basketball crowd always wonder where I learned to fall off a hard foul and not get hurt. A basketball backward foul is much easier to control than skating.