S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old June 4th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #21
Armadillo

Assuming that the profuse foot sweating is from HOT FEET and not mental, from nervousness, I advise that an alternate, supplemental way of cooling feet is your best bet.

My solution is to wear knee socks, initially well moistened at session start, and then further whetted as air flow dries tem out during the session.
The motion of skating evaporates the water and chills the blood passing through calves, bringing cooler blood to the feet, and thus greatly reducing foot heat/sweating.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; June 9th, 2016 at 05:24 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 05:35 AM   #22
BigFoot

I carry several pairs of socks and change them out periodically. Besides helping with odor, it is more comfortable to skate in dry socks.

Peopleís choice of socks is highly personal. My preference is Balega - Hidden Comfort Running Socks. The product line says it all: comfort. They are available at Amazon, Target, REI Sporting Goods, and elsewhere for about $10 / pair. I know that you did not ask for a recommendation. Iím just throwing it out there.

Another way to reduce odor is to keep dirt out of your skates. I never walk around in my socks or walk around in bare feet before I skate. There are too many funky things on the ground / floor, both visible and microscopic things. As soon as I put on a sock, I put it directly into my skate. It helps keep the insides of my skates clean and smelling sweet (almost).
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #23
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Another way to reduce odor is to keep dirt out of your skates. I never walk around in my socks or walk around in bare feet before I skate. There are too many funky things on the ground / floor, both visible and microscopic things. As soon as I put on a sock, I put it directly into my skate. It helps keep the insides of my skates clean and smelling sweet (almost).
I do this too. Helps to wear some moisture wicking flip-flop sandals for about 30 minutes prior to skating to help air dry your feet and toes and keep the moisture levels down.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #24
ursle
Street Skater

Ultra sheer smartwool socks are a good start, cotton socks are the worst you could wear, the moisture has no where to go, evaporates very slowly and the socks tend to lump up, clean and dry boots to start, every time

Not unrelated....when skiers drive an hour or two to a ski hill then put ski boots on socks that have sweated in winter boots, ugg, starting with wet socks is a bad start... cold feet cold heart
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #25
esef

I'd focus on the feet. Like Mort says, you could try spraying or rubbing antiperspirant on your feet. Take care of your sweating at the source, right? I'd combine that approach with a foot powder/ powder spray + lightweight merino sock.
esef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 04:24 AM   #26
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Ultra sheer smartwool socks are a good start, cotton socks are the worst you could wear, the moisture has no where to go, evaporates very slowly and the socks tend to lump up, clean and dry boots to start, every time

Not unrelated....when skiers drive an hour or two to a ski hill then put ski boots on socks that have sweated in winter boots, ugg, starting with wet socks is a bad start... cold feet cold heart
Worst? Hardly. Depends on the situation.

I don't know about other boarders or skiers, but the socks I use for the day are usually changed 2 times. I put on new clean and dry socks and sometimes foot powder just before hitting the slopes, and usually change out to new fresh ones at lunch time, before going all the way till close. Id rather change my socks than try to get some silly sock that supposed to "wick" moisture from the underside of my foot out the top of my snowboarding boots. It just isnt gonna happen. If I had ventilation in my footwear, maybe worth a shot, but I dont.

Ive done the same thing with my wool socks as I have with my normal cotton crew socks, and honestly, I prefer the cottons. They slip less than the wool socks, which means they bunch up less. Unless its blistering cold, I use the same socks for everything, because they fit right. Tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esef View Post
I'd focus on the feet. Like Mort says, you could try spraying or rubbing antiperspirant on your feet. Take care of your sweating at the source, right? I'd combine that approach with a foot powder/ powder spray + lightweight merino sock.
This is why nearly every time before I skate I shower and throughly scrub my feet, dry them well and put on nice clean socks. This tends to keep moisture to a minimum, without needing foot powders. I usually dont wear my skates for more than 4 hours, and when I do say an "all night skate" ill bring a second set of socks just in case.

In the end it doesnt matter what you wear, as long as its comfortable and not going to cause you frictional issues, such as either blisters, or foot sliding around in your boots.

Sometimes though a foot powder with cornstarch in it can increase the friction between you foot and the sockx so the slipping, if any will happen between your sock and the boots.
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #27
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default My favorite One, and Easy Kitty Kitty

Hi, Easy Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Kitty litter in a nylon stocking
YEP that is the ticket. An InLiner from Wilmington, DE gave us that one years ago, and I guess there is also a product out that does this. Look up SLForum for the treads on this topic. I am there wishing he would have gotten a patent because the smell is so "not there" when you do this. .

I used,use two socks per skate. One to stuff up the toes and one for the heel area. Pearl Jams cat litter, I think, I don't want to get up to look at the bag in my laundry room. I also keep Foot spray in my skate bag and spray the boot pretty well when done with each session. I also have used wicking socks, a couple of types, and they do work pretty well.

Hey sweaty feet, Love them..

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01 Remembered after I posted that he was from Wilmington, MD. The same place that our Doc Fred AKA DocSkate started at when he joined this forum. Now he used this kitty litter I noted and the inside liners of his skates stayed always very nice almost like new. I tell you this stuff works.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; June 30th, 2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Wilmington, MD
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #28
shesk8

Just came across this when looking for ski boot driers. MaxxDry - looks like a nice solution for those in humid climes.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote