S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old May 28th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #1
ASP

Default Plate advice

I'm looking to get a new set up and am hoping to get some recommendations. I currently skate the DA 45 Avengers and I am looking to go to a more "stable" plate with less of a kingpin angle and where I can sit back more onto my heels. I also really LOVE my 7mm clip axles and would prefer a set up with that option, but am not seeing anything like that in other plates. Also, I'm looking for something on the light side. I probably don't want to go down to a 10 degree angle, though. Suggestions?
ASP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Rollmazicon

As far as being able to rest on your heels, that is just a matter of choosing a longer plate and mouting it back farther.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #3
Armadillo

If your budget can handle it, get a set of 15 Snyder Advantage plates ~$400

Then upgrade the Advantage suspension to state-of-the-art with the best cushion scheme you can get for it, making it near DA45 reactive & more stable.

This link documents the process, as done by a jammer on the Canadian national derby team and SLF member Skate Mech at his Tumbler website →
http://flustercluck338.tumblr.com/page/2

-Armadillo
Old May 28th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #4
Trixton

I have both the Avenger and Roll Line Variant M. FWIW the Avenger is on a Bont boot and the Roll Line is on Antik AR-1. Both are using softest cushions. The Avenger is short forward mounted with front axle just under big toe (150mm on size 7), and the Roll Line is mounted with front axle just in front of the ball of the foot and is 10mm longer than my Avenger (160mm on size 7.5).

Caveat: Take these observations with a grain of salt due to the 10mm difference in plate length, mount positions, and the fact that I have spent more time on the Avenger. Also I don't play derby, but I do more weaving during session than almost everyone else on most days.

The Avenger is considerably more agile than the Variant. The Avenger also turns much sharper than the Variant. The Variant is more stable at speed. I can put more weight on my toes in the Avenger. I can put more weight on my heels in the Variant. I am faster overall in the Avenger. I can do better plows (forward and backward) in the Avenger. I can do better slide maneuvers in the Variant. I can skate backwards better in the Avenger. I can use harder wheels more confidently with the Variant. I usually enjoy skating my Avenger setup more than my Variant setup.

To better understand your situation:
1.) What other plates/mounts/setups have you been on?
2.) Are there specific reasons you want to change from your current setup?
3.) What cushions are you currently using?
4.) Skate pics showing mount
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:35 AM   #5
Armadillo

Trixton, if you do the suspension upgrade I referenced in my post, the Advantage can be just as stable as the Variant M, without degrading any of the ways its already better than the Varient M.

-Armadillo
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #6
ASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post

To better understand your situation:
1.) What other plates/mounts/setups have you been on?
2.) Are there specific reasons you want to change from your current setup?
3.) What cushions are you currently using?
4.) Skate pics showing mount
1. Current set up is Avenger on an old school Riedell 125 size 7. I'm not sure the size of the Avenger, though. I think a size 1, since they seem just a touch shorter than my Invader size 2s, which were my previous set up on my Carrera rookie boots, which initially came with Probe plates. I've been on the DA 45 set up for 4 or 5 years.
2. I feel like I have too much of my weight forward which results in me falling forward and I still struggle with my plow stops and hockey stops. When I have tried out other people's skates that have plates with less of an angle, I feel like those stops improve.
3. Purple cushions on the Avengers. Yellow on the Invaders, but I don't really skate that set up. Mostly just outdoors.
4. I'll see if I can figure that out.
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #7
Armadillo

The Mota Boss skates, just posted as a "should I buy them" question in another thread, might be just what you need. ~$400 Kingpin angle is 16

They come with a 7mm flip axle trucks option too!

http://www.rollerskateusa.com/Mota-B...sstockclip.htm

-Armadillo
Old May 29th, 2016, 01:45 AM   #8
ASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
The Mota Boss skates, just posted as a "should I buy them" question in another thread, might be just what you need. ~$400 Kingpin angle is 16

-Armadillo
Yes, I've heard very good things about those, but I was told that the clip axles are only available in 8mm. I also heard that there might be some problems with the axles being too short which allows the wheels to come off during use.
Old May 29th, 2016, 02:34 AM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Great post Trixton, btw.

I'd say to stay with a plate you know. Just get it one size up. Have it mounted a little forward from where it is now. This will still provide you the ability to get more weight back. You could also run harder cushions, but I would bet the longer plate will give you what you want.
Old May 29th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #10
Rollmazicon

Quote:

http://www.rollerskateusa.com/Mota-B...sstockclip.htm

-Armadillo
Aside from the flip axle option, it seems very similar to the Pilot Eagle Plus, but at double the cost.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:56 AM   #11
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP View Post
Yes, I've heard very good things about those, but I was told that the clip axles are only available in 8mm. I also heard that there might be some problems with the axles being too short which allows the wheels to come off during use.
Yeah, the ad copy is unclear as to whether the flips are 7mm (or 8mm) versus the optional 8mm threaded.

The axle is either long enough to fully close the flip/clip - or NOT. Once it closes fully, flipping 90, there should not be a chance for wheel to come off.

Variations in wheel hubs' internal bearing spacing is always a problem, with some wheels getting too wide and spread geting too big to close the flip/clip.
ALL of the various wheels you want/need to use MUST have a hub spacing that does not exceed the max spacing limit of the truck's flip axle design.

When you buy wheels that spacing spec. is never given.

-Armadillo
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #12
Trixton

Quote:
Variations in wheel hubs' internal bearing spacing is always a problem, with some wheels getting too wide and spread geting too big to close the flip/clip.
ALL of the various wheels you want/need to use MUST have a hub spacing that does not exceed the max spacing limit of the truck's flip axle design.

When you buy wheels that spacing spec. is never given.

-Armadillo
I tried to anticipate what you were going to say as I was reading this and when I got to the end, I thought you were going to say make sure to check the wheel spacing in the specs... too bad they won't be there *sigh*
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:00 AM   #13
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP View Post
Axles weren't too short, the clips were originally made for 7mm, and they used them on 8mm axles. They have since resolved that and started making/using the correct hardware for the job.

I have seen wheels come off personally when a flip is flipped the wrong way.