S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old April 14th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

Default Wheelbase: agonizing over millimetres...help!

Long story short: I've been skating since 2011 on size 7, 158mm Revenge plates on a 7.5 boot. One plate cracked - no surprise there. I took a chance with the Arius in a 7, which is actually 162mm. Big mistake size-wise.

I disliked the whole butterfly trucks/cushions thing and decided I don't care for the 45 degrees thing either, but what really hampered me were those 4 extra mm. Changed my stride entirely and I lost the ability to easily hop/launch myself laterally. I developed pain in my lower calves just behind the anklebone. I could not adjust to this extra 4mm! I hated skating derby in them, although they are fine for leisure/outdoors.

So! Right now I'm looking at the Crazy Venus or the Rival, in time for Rollergirl's annual sale. My concerns:

Crazy Venus is 159.4mm. Will I notice this increase? The next size down is 9mm shorter, and I'm not interested in going down that far.

Rival seems to be the devil I know: 158mm and uses the same angle pin and same trucks and cushions as the Revenge, which I really liked (even though I know it was not a popular plate here in Skatelog Land).

Cons: I'm not fond of its appearance, I see it will have the same pivot cup issues as the Revenge (ugh) and it's already been discontinued.

Pros: I like the 15-degree angle and I imagine the adjustment will be practically non-existent. It's also $80 cheaper than the Venus.

Am I being overly paranoid over 1.4mm and go with the Venus or should I stick to what I know will work for me, despite being ass-ugly and having a crap pivot cup bore, and go with the Rival?

Will 20 degrees be that much of an adjustment from 15?

Will the increase in action be more noticeable than the length difference?

Thanks for your help!
Marlo Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

4mm really? I seriously doubt that it is just the wheelbase. Remember the arius is a solid plate, it has no suspension. The cushions only bias the action of the plate. As such it is more solid of a ride and provides far less dampening. The physical problems you seem to be having are akin to a long time indoor basketball player who has been on old wooden courts starting to play hard outside on concrete.

Asnfor lateral hopping, thats most likely you subconsciously not trusting yourself or your new gear, or you on your new gear.
Old April 25th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #3
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Brandon View Post
I developed pain in my lower calves just behind the anklebone. I could not adjust to this extra 4mm!
I also do not think your pain is related to the length of the plate but instead other factors like the lack of suspension and the fact that you are likly using very different muscles in your stride. But the length only really effects your ability to achieve a front or rear edge (IE: 3 turns, or motions like crabwalk)

That said if you have given it a month or more and still do not like them maybe it is time to look at something else for you platewise.

Quote:
Crazy Venus is 159.4mm. Will I notice this increase? The next size down is 9mm shorter, and I'm not interested in going down that far.
Shorter means less effort to turn and less effort to use your heels or toe to pivot, but does require more balance (and care when choosing the mounting location).

If you do not use toe and/or heel pivoting moves you will not notice a real difference.

Quote:
Rival seems to be the devil I know: 158mm and uses the same angle pin and same trucks and cushions as the Revenge, which I really liked (even though I know it was not a popular plate here in Skatelog Land).
True they are not popular here, but if they make you a happy skater who are we to judge.

Quote:
Cons: I'm not fond of its appearance, I see it will have the same pivot cup issues as the Revenge (ugh) and it's already been discontinued.
Yep.

Quote:
KP angle has little to do with how well or poorly a plate turns, other factors have bigger effects.

That said, I haven't skated either of these plates but The Venus has a reputation for out turning a revenge/rival without having the issues associated with a "45" like the Avenger.

Quote:
Yes. Though for most they grow to like it in a few weeks or less.
Old April 30th, 2016, 04:46 AM   #4
quantoo

Default i have 2x sets of DA45's n One pair of venus

I wouldnt go for an arius
suspension is supposed to cushion the impact when you put your foot back down as well as center the steering.the design is good for turning not so good for impact absorbing.
I prefer da 45 over the venus 20 degree setup because the response is slower on the venus.
the venus is a good speed plate and a great compromise between a 10 degree and a 45 degree but offers more impact absorption because theres less weight on the pivot pin and more on the cushion than a 45 da or sa.
The aluminum does have a dull feed back on the venus as the alloy quality isn't that of the high end stuff available from rolline, boen, labeda proline etc.
But overall the venus is a great value for money and reliable plate imho.and the venus come with a full assortment of cushions and you can cut the toestop carriers of with a hacksaw easily But the down side is the venus front mounting holes are too far forward for a full forward mount so you would have to do what i did and make or buy a carbon fibre or alluminium sole plate to spread the load,as the balls of your feet will hang almost in free air behind the front mount widest part of the plate.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Armadillo

Quote:

Thanks for your help!
The 15 versus 20 KP difference should not be very significant.
The range of potential suspension tuning options should be more than enough to fully compensate for any impact that the 5 increment of KP angle triggers.

-Armadillo
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:12 PM   #6
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
1.4mm? No, you won't notice. What you will notice is the better choice of cushions and all around better made plate.

I very routinely put 150mm plates on a size 7.5, and I wouldn't be scared of that at all. But if the 158mm Rival works, the 159mm Venus should fit the bill

Quote:
Things that make you go, "hmmmmmmm....."

Quote:
Am I being overly paranoid over 1.4mm and go with the Venus or should I stick to what I know will work for me, despite being ass-ugly and having a crap pivot cup bore, and go with the Rival?
I think you answered your own question there.

Quote:
Not at all, but you'll like it.

Quote:
Far and away. You're talking a difference of .055" in length, assuming everybody hits their production numbers.

Next step is to make certain they're mounted correctly. That will wring all there is to get out of them.