S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 18th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #1
Matthewtheskater22

Default Opinions, Facts needed on Roll line plates...

I know there are a few, okay maybe a bunch of threads on plates, plate sizing, plate weight and mounting but I have not yet to find what I am looking for I know I probably could probably find what im looking for If took a couple days scrolling through threads, but ya know im being lazy, I play Rink Hockey, RollHockey, whatever you want to call it, anyways I like a short plate on my boot and moved back for a lot of run, I will be mounting to a leather sole hockey boot which have a taller heel than most derby skates, I have mounted a couple times using a Snyder boot marker and mount it directly center, as of now im looking at some higher end plates, Roll Line Matrix, Roll Line Matrix Steel, Roll Line Energy, Roll Line Energy Steel, Roll Line Killer, and Roll Line DB12, I am currently using a Size 15 Boiani Star RK plate on a size 9.5 carbon sole boot, Never mounting to carbon again!! Anyway... Questions that id like opinions on or answers too, Weight difference between the Roll Line Matrix and Roll line Matrix Steel? Weight difference between Roll Line Matrix and Roll line Energy? Advantages/Disadvantages of the Roll Line DB12 and what happens when you mount the front dead center of the boot or both plates pointing slightly towards the outside of the boot and I have never had plates with a left and a right plate, what to do to compensate for this? All comments, opinions, answers and advice is welcome and very helpful.
Thanks,
-Matthew.
Matthewtheskater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #2
JorisKB

Killer is a DB12

Weight diff betwwen steel and titanium is around 35g for a plate (around 17g per truck)

Lateralized plates is in the toe stop pointing to the inside. So that when plate is properly mounted slightly to the outside, the toe stop stay under your big toe.

I never tried such high end plates as matrix or DB12. I'm on Roll Line Dance (steel axes and pivots) and it's around 450g, so I guess matrix titanium would reach around 400g.
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:44 AM   #3
1M_E

150mm Matrix titanium - 424g
1M_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #4
JorisKB

That's disappointing. It's about the same weight as a luigino pilot falcon plus, which has 8mm steel axles. Matrix is not that light after all.
Old March 19th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #5
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
Matrix is not that light after all.
There are many plates lighter than the Matrix but I doubt any are as rigid, sturdy or well made at that weight.

Old March 19th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #6
JorisKB

Yeah, no doubt about the quality, it's probably one of the top plate available, if not the top. But they claim it to be ultra light. It's light though, but you can find lighter.
I was very happy with all the roll line plates I skated (Variant, Mistral, Dance).
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #7
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Best high end is the Energy.

You will have zero improvement in performance by spending the additional $500 on the Matrix.

It's like bikes...guys want to buy performance. For example, you can have a guy say he dropped 2lbs off his bike and it is now sub 16lb. You can tell the same guy he can drop 8lbs from his total ride by losing a few pounds and they don't see the connection.

I can take my 17lb + bike that I paid half for and beat them on their sub 16lb bikes.

Same with skates.

In the 80's I skated on the Snyder Super Deluxe. Best performing plate of its time....even a good performer today!! But weighs, what?, 10lbs a plate?

50grams is nothing....take your keys out of your pocket when you skate and you've saved the same amount of weight.

Don't get caught up in building a skate "to spec."
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #8
Matthewtheskater22

Thank you for all the replies I believe I am gonna go with the Roll Line Energy.
Matthewtheskater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #9
ttmanta

"The*killer*and the DB12 look similar but they have some substantial differences.*The base of the*plate*and so the king-pin angles are the same (18 at the front and 16 at the back) but the difference is the height of the king pins.

The DB12 *has a lower version (8mm shorter) which also means it has smaller cushions and more inclined truck-pivot pins.

The Killer's is thus taller than the the DB12*(the king- pins are the same of the energy to have a comparison).*So, if at the same time the angle of the kingpins is equal, the truck angle is different as well as the general height of the*plates". .

Just giving my 02 here. I started with the energy titanium and when I switched to the matrix it felt a lot lighter to me. Mainly could tell when I would do crossovers through the turns and when working on certain spin moves.

Tags
energy, matrix, opinions, plate info, roll line