S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 8th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Default What plate? Returning After 35 years!

Greetings,

I haven't skated since the late 70's. I only did session, jam and rhythm skating (with very little rhythm to my skating but I tried). I did get to the point where I was in the upper 85% of the rinks better skaters. Once I joined the Marine Corps that was the end of my skating.

I'm looking to return to skating. I have been to the rink 5 times in the last 3 weeks using rental skates. Rentals are probably the reason why I have only gone a few times. The wheels grip too much, the trucks are all over the place and the boots - well I bet you already got the point once I mentioned rentals.

It's time to purchase skates.

When I skated in the past I had very little technical knowledge and just skated. I want to take another approach this time.

Plates - I was thinking of getting the Snyder Super Deluxe Plates. They are the plates I remember from the past. The weight of the plates shouldn't be an issue as I don't do any real leg lifting or many jump type moves. I'm 215lbs at 5' 11". I plan on skating helping me drop at least 20lbs.

I want plates that are conservative in their appearance but suitable for my type of skating. The "Sure Grip" site has next to no information on the plates. If it's my poor search skills can someone please direct me?

What are your thoughts about the Snyder Super Deluxe plates (pros and cons)?

What other plates would you suggest if any and why, pease?

I also need to ask about wheels but that will be another post.

I'm itching to get back but rental are too hard on this old body. My session time will at least triple with my own gear.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Last edited by Knezz; June 8th, 2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Changing weight error from 115lbs to 215lbs
Knezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knezz View Post
It's time to purchase skates. When I skated in the past I had very little technical knowledge and just skated. I want to take another approach this time.

Plates - I was thinking of getting the Snyder Super Deluxe Plates. They are the plates I remember from the past.

Allow me to point out this is now the 21st century.. The basic Super Deluxe has not changed much since the patent was issued in 1950. (The gubment was already in slow leak mode. The patent was filed in 1946. ) There are many better options in that type of sk8 now...

The weight of the plates shouldn't be an issue as I don't do any real leg lifting or many jump type moves. I'm 115lbs at 5' 11". I plan on skating helping me drop at least 20lbs.

Say what?? You want to get down to 95 pounds??

I want plates that are conservative in their appearance but suitable for my type of skating. The "Sure Grip" site has next to no information on the plates. If it's my poor search skills can someone please direct me?

OK, I'm perplexed. Are you using the word conservative to mean old fashioned?? How about an example of a plate that is not "conservative" in appearance. On top of that, the vast majority of plates made today are basically suitable for almost all types of sk8ing. The suitability is based on the sk8r, not the plates. I have lost track of how many times someone has told me that "You cannot do (insert what ever sk8ing style you wish here) on that (insert what ever plate here). Maybe the person making the statement cannot do whatever, but that is a personal issue, and not a shortcoming of the sk8.

Which Super Deluxe?? There are several flavors of that plate made.

I'd say you have some reading to do. There are pages and pages of "discussion" on what plates are the best.

Don't bother. The more you learn about wheels (as in actually learn from personal experience and not just pick up from various on line sources) the more you will find that no one actually has the answer YOU are looking for. Answers, yes, but most are based on personal preference and that immediately disqualifies that person's input from helping you make a good decision. Unless of course, they sk8 exactly like you do, where you do, on sk8s set up exactly like yours.

BTW your plate choice and tuning will dramatically impact your wheel selection.

I'm itching to get back but rental are too hard on this old body. My session time will at least triple with my own gear.

I would hope so.

So what are you looking to build anyway?? Hope your idea of the perfect sk8 is not stuck in the 80s.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knezz
It's time to purchase skates. When I skated in the past I had very little technical knowledge and just skated. I want to take another approach this time.

Plates - I was thinking of getting the Snyder Super Deluxe Plates. They are the plates I remember from the past.

Allow me to point out this is now the 21st century.. The basic Super Deluxe has not changed much since the patent was issued in 1950. (The gubment was already in slow leak mode. The patent was filed in 1946. ) There are many better options in that type of sk8 now...

The weight of the plates shouldn't be an issue as I don't do any real leg lifting or many jump type moves. I'm 115lbs at 5' 11". I plan on skating helping me drop at least 20lbs.

Say what?? You want to get down to 95 pounds??

OK, I'm perplexed. Are you using the word conservative to mean old fashioned?? How about an example of a plate that is not "conservative" in appearance. On top of that, the vast majority of plates made today are basically suitable for almost all types of sk8ing. The suitability is based on the sk8r, not the plates. I have lost track of how many times someone has told me that "You cannot do (insert what ever sk8ing style you wish here) on that (insert what ever plate here). Maybe the person making the statement cannot do whatever, but that is a personal issue, and not a shortcoming of the sk8.

Which Super Deluxe?? There are several flavors of that plate made.

I'd say you have some reading to do. There are pages and pages of "discussion" on what plates are the best.

Don't bother. The more you learn about wheels (as in actually learn from personal experience and not just pick up from various on line sources) the more you will find that no one actually has the answer YOU are looking for. Answers, yes, but most are based on personal preference and that immediately disqualifies that person's input from helping you make a good decision. Unless of course, they sk8 exactly like you do, where you do, on sk8s set up exactly like yours.

BTW your plate choice and tuning will dramatically impact your wheel selection.

I would hope so.

So what are you looking to build anyway?? Hope your idea of the perfect sk8 is not stuck in the 80s.
--------

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware this is the 21st century.

If there are better plates available - it would be helpful to name a couple so that I can read up on them?

The weight posted was a typo - I'm 215lbs

Type of Super Deluxe considered - standard

As for being stuck in the 80's - Maybe... I plan on getting black high cut boots. Hopefully, with a capped toe if I can find them.

Thanks anyway.
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Daveho

/soul crushed.

honestly its not a hard thing to look into, the fact that you actually have a rink in your area means there are skaters yes? talk to them in regard to wheel selection for your surface as for plates i come from a derby background where the avenger is king, sure there are other plates but when it comes to people voting with there feet its the avenger or venus plate that being said there are sooo many to read up on just open up another tab and get clicking.

i understand these come with capped toes now
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #5
larryoracing

Smile knezz I just can't believe that nobody wants to help you.

1) I would recommend a snyder imperial plate.

a) I have bought 3 sets of snyder SD's and 1 set of snyder Imperials on Ebay. Plus I had one set of synder imperials already. So, I personally own 5 sets of synder skates. The most I payed on ebay for each set of skates was 200.00 and one set came with some Gold Star boots, which the boots cost alone 500.00 and they were in good shape, not to mention the skates came with wheels and precision bearings. So if you are lucky you can find the skates you want on Ebay. You just might have to wait awhile....LOL

2) I would recommend something like a Rediell, 297 boot.

3) Wheels for you, being a beginner, something like a Bones 98A hardness. As you get better you will probably want a little harder wheel..ie..a little more slippery wheel.

a) The most slippery wheel I think is: FoMac, Phenolic Wheel (fiberglass) and they cost 120.00 dollars. I don't think you will ever buy a wheel this slippery. These are the ultimate in slide. I have bought a set, but I have not used them yet.

4) Lastly cushions. You will need somebody to help you on this. The snyder skates come with black hard cushions. I could see changing out the bottom cushion with a conical, urethane clear. This would be a modification and some skate dealer or skate person would have to help you make this modification.

5)Bearings Bone Swiss, non ceramic. Cost about 90.00

Larry O

P.S. Everybody has an opinion. I guarantee you if you bought a setup similar to this you would never have to buy another set of skates.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #6
ddrewery

I grabbed a cheap pair of skates on eBay do I could slowly build up to what I wanted.

Have a look on there, grab a pair that are similar to what you want and skate on them a few times until you figure out what you like or don't like about them.
ddrewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #7
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Roll-line plate.

Once you go Roll-line there is no going back.

If you want Snyder then the Advantage is the modern version of the Super Deluxe and is an excellent plate. Just not as EXCELLENT as the Roll-Line.

I really wanted to hate the Roll-line because it is Italian. Labeda and Snyder (Sure-Grip) are American.....but I just can't hate it. It is the best plate I have ever skated on.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 02:08 AM   #8
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

The Advantage is a lighter version of your old Super Deluxe. A really good replacement if you decide to stay with that action. Not gonna hate on the Roll Line, I have one, love it! But if you want some good responsive action the Snyder Imperial or Royal would be the ultimate option.
Old June 9th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #9
larryoracing

Smile Gotsk8s,Wow

But if you want some good responsive action the Snyder Imperial or Royal would be the ultimate option.

1) I was thinking when I watch all those youtube, skaters that skate in the middle of the rink, they really don't even need skates.

And the ones that do rythm skating, probably wouldn't appreciate all the technology in today's skates, proline, advantage because they don't skate fast enough.

2) A lot of advanced skaters, in rinks, have shoes that don't even look like boots, wheels that are so small in diameter that its hard to believe they would skate on them plus the fact that those wheels have no grip/they slide.

a) Fomac, phenolic, fiberglass wheels.

3) So in reality the skaters that are left, session skaters, most artistic skaters don't need or would even appreciate the action of a synder imperial or royal skate.

4) I got a feeling Kneez would be happy with the synder SD. Buy a used pair on ebay that comes with boots, wheels and bearings for 200 bucks and you are set for life. Any other option be willing to pay 7-8 hundred dollars and I don't think the average skater would know the difference.

Larry O and that's my honest opinion.

I was one of the few artistic skaters that rexed. One of the few skaters that skated freestyle/mens singles and dance. The only skate I have ever owned is a synder imperials. It's a great skate and it amazing how many new people still think they are:

But if you want some good responsive action the Snyder Imperial or Royal would be the ultimate option.

Old June 9th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #10
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
/soul crushed.

honestly its not a hard thing to look into, the fact that you actually have a rink in your area means there are skaters yes? talk to them in regard to wheel selection for your surface as for plates i come from a derby background where the avenger is king, sure there are other plates but when it comes to people voting with there feet its the avenger or venus plate that being said there are sooo many to read up on just open up another tab and get clicking.

i understand these come with capped toes now
Thank you for the response.

Once I build relationships I will be able to ask a few questions. Of course as with Internet help I will combine what I hear with research as most rink skaters (including me) have very little technical knowledge. i asked hear as well as other locations to get a general idea of what experience others have had.

Thanks for the suggestions on plates. Very helpful. as for boots I wouldn't work on my car in those..

How about something like this:

Seriously, I'm thinking Riedell's 172s or 297 (I don't like to see the seams running up the toe hence the 172s).
Old June 9th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #11
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
1) I would recommend a snyder imperial plate.

a) I have bought 3 sets of snyder SD's and 1 set of snyder Imperials on Ebay. Plus I had one set of synder imperials already. So, I personally own 5 sets of synder skates. The most I payed on ebay for each set of skates was 200.00 and one set came with some Gold Star boots, which the boots cost alone 500.00 and they were in good shape, not to mention the skates came with wheels and precision bearings. So if you are lucky you can find the skates you want on Ebay. You just might have to wait awhile....LOL

2) I would recommend something like a Rediell, 297 boot.

3) Wheels for you, being a beginner, something like a Bones 98A hardness. As you get better you will probably want a little harder wheel..ie..a little more slippery wheel.

a) The most slippery wheel I think is: FoMac, Phenolic Wheel (fiberglass) and they cost 120.00 dollars. I don't think you will ever buy a wheel this slippery. These are the ultimate in slide. I have bought a set, but I have not used them yet.

4) Lastly cushions. You will need somebody to help you on this. The snyder skates come with black hard cushions. I could see changing out the bottom cushion with a conical, urethane clear. This would be a modification and some skate dealer or skate person would have to help you make this modification.

5)Bearings Bone Swiss, non ceramic. Cost about 90.00

Larry O

P.S. Everybody has an opinion. I guarantee you if you bought a setup similar to this you would never have to buy another set of skates.
Thanks for taking out the time to respond.....

I looked through eBay but couldn't find anything in my size (12D). As you mentioned it takes time on eBay and as it goes a pair will show up 15 minutes after I purchase skates.

I was looking at the 297s and the 172s. I happen to not like the seams running up the toe. I've seen other skaters bust the seams of boots with the seams showing. I can't say if they were Riedells or not. I don't think I skate hard enough to split them but ascetically I don't like them but could if I find that they are much better than the 172s. I hear the 172s are kind of soft on the support?? With my skating style I don't think I need much support.

As for bearings - I was thinking of cube gold swiss. I've heard good things about them. Any thoughts?

Wheels - I was weened on Flo-Macs Premiers (brown and tan).. then switch to bones elites 35 years ago. With the Fo-Macs I could "Hockey Stop". When I switched to the Bones the "Hockey Stopping" ended. I'm looking for wheels that will allow me to "Hockey Stop" with more grip than the Fo-Macs??

As for cushions.. I'm lost in the sauce.

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited by Knezz; June 11th, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Knezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

I am going to throw a vote in for the Avenger. The action is very close to an Imperial & Royal. The action can be set to rock hard to as soft as jello. They can be turned to do just about anything. Also, the Avenger has proven to be quite durable. Derby people have been beating them mercilessly and the plates continue to hold up. Another benefit is cost. The cost of an Avenger is very reasonable for what you get. Also, the cost of replacement parts and cushions is quite affordable.

If you decide to go with an Imperial or Royal, I suggest getting one through Doc or some of the other vendors here. The stock suspension on those plates is OK, but a few tweaks with some modern Sure Grip parts really brings them to life.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #13
larryoracing

Smile Kneez glad to help you out. I'm only one person.

1) Some people chose to give you a hard time, that is not how you get people into skating and how you grow the sport.

a) As a salesman you sell the customer what he wants, not what you want.

2) Buying a new pair of skates is a serious business and could cost you a 1000 dollars, easily, that's why I was hoping you could buy a used pair. If I see a size 12D on ebay, I will let you know.

3) I saw one man, the other night, older black gentleman that had a pair of Synder Imperials, He had the Bones 98A wheels, boots that looked like the 172 and of course he had to have some precision bearings. Just a guess Fafnir????

a) He had one modification that caught my eye. He had changed the bottom cushion on the trucks to a clear urethane cushion, which make the edges much better or bouncy. Black cushion stiff, clear softer. Get the picture?

4) I'm always hoping you will become a Artistic Skater and join a club.

a) Since, you like the Synder SD, maybe the Advantage would be a wise choice. I would not buy it if you ever think you will be jumping on skates.
I don't think the Advantage will hold up to the pounding, especially for a heavier skater. The Ancient1, National Competitor who came back to skating bought the Advantage, but when he finally quit again, he threw them away and kept his Synder SD's. I think the Advantage are just not as strong as the SD's, although they are advertised to be stronger.

5) Personally for me I would buy the Imperials, 297 boot, Bones bearings non-ceramic and the The All American Dream wheels, 55 MM.

a) You can perform a slide with this setup.

b) If you buy the 172 boot, you will have to go to stickier wheel, like your bones and you will not be able to slide.

c) If you want just a real precision skate and don't plan on jumping the Advanatge and Proline look like real nice skates. People have bought and really like the Prolines. Many have bought the Advantage and have said nothing negative.

I will be quite honest if I only skated Artistic Dance and Figures I would buy the Advantage.

If I could afford it I would by the new Proline plates....1150 dollars.

But since I want to do jumps and spins, love to rex I own a pair of synder imperials, Jackson Elite Boots, rated for quadruples, retail for 600 dollars, Bones Non Ceramic Bearings and I love the All American Dream Wheels which are the slipperiest wheels I have found yet. I think I could slide in them if I really wanted to.

Larry O
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #14
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
1) Some people chose to give you a hard time, that is not how you get people into skating and how you grow the sport.

a) As a salesman you sell the customer what he wants, not what you want.

2) Buying a new pair of skates is a serious business and could cost you a 1000 dollars, easily, that's why I was hoping you could buy a used pair. If I see a size 12D on ebay, I will let you know.

3) I saw one man, the other night, older black gentleman that had a pair of Synder Imperials, He had the Bones 98A wheels, boots that looked like the 172 and of course he had to have some precision bearings. Just a guess Fafnir????

a) He had one modification that caught my eye. He had changed the bottom cushion on the trucks to a clear urethane cushion, which make the edges much better or bouncy. Black cushion stiff, clear softer. Get the picture?

4) I'm always hoping you will become a Artistic Skater and join a club.

a) Since, you like the Synder SD, maybe the Advantage would be a wise choice. I would not buy it if you ever think you will be jumping on skates.
I don't think the Advantage will hold up to the pounding, especially for a heavier skater. The Ancient1, National Competitor who came back to skating bought the Advantage, but when he finally quit again, he threw them away and kept his Synder SD's. I think the Advantage are just not as strong as the SD's, although they are advertised to be stronger.

5) Personally for me I would buy the Imperials, 297 boot, Bones bearings non-ceramic and the The All American Dream wheels, 55 MM.

a) You can perform a slide with this setup.

b) If you buy the 172 boot, you will have to go to stickier wheel, like your bones and you will not be able to slide.

c) If you want just a real precision skate and don't plan on jumping the Advanatge and Proline look like real nice skates. People have bought and really like the Prolines. Many have bought the Advantage and have said nothing negative.

I will be quite honest if I only skated Artistic Dance and Figures I would buy the Advantage.

If I could afford it I would by the new Proline plates....1150 dollars.

But since I want to do jumps and spins, love to rex I own a pair of synder imperials, Jackson Elite Boots, rated for quadruples, retail for 600 dollars, Bones Non Ceramic Bearings and I love the All American Dream Wheels which are the slipperiest wheels I have found yet. I think I could slide in them if I really wanted to.

Larry O
First thank you for the help!!!

As for getting a hard time-"light work". I just move on and let the helpful nature of this forum shine through. I've been learking for a bit and find most of the posters helpful.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me!

Why would I need stickier wheels if I went with a boot like the 172s?

Thanks for the explaining "cushion" in a way that will stick with me. I might have to get over my dislike of toe seams on boots and accept the 297s as many feel they are a very good boot.
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #15
larryoracing

Smile Kneez this is a Larry O theory. Nobody on this internet has

really said BS, yet. One person pointed out that he needed a stiffer boot when I hinted on my stiffer boot, less sticky wheel, softer boot-stickier wheel.

Just random generalizations, but ones I'm convinced are right. My teacher once said spit out your answer and see if anybody rejects it. Your answer is just as good as anybody elses until they prove you wrong.

That's why I blurted out my opinion on the skates I felt you needed without knowing anything. All just hunches, until you or somebody else says...B.S. and tells me why my opinion/guess is wrong.

Until you or somebody else says this is the skate, wheel, boot and bearings Kneez needs. Nobody is will to put their mouth where thier money is...LOL!

The important point, I gave you my opinion, which you asked for. I gave you a particular skate, boot, wheel and bearing for my prediction of your type of skating??? All a guess and a hunch. It's like gambling and most scientists like to gamble..LOL!

When I came back to skating 3 months ago, I had bought a few boots on Ebay from a about a year before. And I saw some good deals on some more boots and bought some more on ebay. Then I bought a few pairs of Synder skates on Ebay and I got some more boots. So I had a good baseline of synder imperial skates, synder SD skates, boots, wheels and bearings to choose from.

1) This is what I found as I put a stiffer and stiffer boots on my synder imperial skates I needed a less grippy wheel before I fell down or was about to fall down.

A) I went from a soft boot..don't know the model...I will guess 120, with a Vanguard 101A wheel and I felt at times the skate wanted to slip out. I also realized with these soft, less stiff boots I could really lean to the side and I felt this was the problem. Soft boots, allow you to lean over a lot and finally the wheels will begin to slip out from underneath you.

B) Went to a stiffer boot, I will guess a 190??? with the same wheel and the slip seemed to go away. In fact, I felt I was getting more grip out of the wheels. I attributed this phenomena to the stiffer boots making me stand up straight, not allowing me to lean over as much and get more grip out of the existing wheels.

C) Then finally to my stiffest boot, the Jackson Elite, rated for quad jumps. These boots were so stiff that after 14 times of wearing them they finally don't hurt anymore and I'm beginning to learn how to skate in them. I can almost due some dances in them and stroke, and other basic dance moves.

I felt now my wheels were gripping to much. I went to a bones 103A. The wheel stuck like glue. Then I decided to go OLD School, got some old All American Dreams known for being a little bit slippery. On four different Rink surfaces this same wheel gives me the slip I want and still has grip. Old artistic skaters like slippery wheels. The new generation has gone to a stickier wheel in general. I attribute this to the boot. Most people don't want a stiffer boot. So they ending up with wheels that are a little stickier. If you have real stiff boots you can get away with a slippery wheel, because the boots force you to stand up. They also give you better form so when you throw those jumps you are in better position in the air, to land more erect and not fall down. Larry Otani theory again.

I haven't tried the Synder SD's yet.
a) I have a pair of Gold Star Boots I have not tried yet.
b) I have a pair of stiff, Risport Freestyle boots I have not tried yet.
c) I have about 6 sets of bearings I have not tried yet.
d) I have about 10 sets of wheels I have not tried yet.

Right now I like my setup. If it works don't mess with it. So since my Imperial Skates, Jackson Elite Boots, Bones non-ceramic bearings and All American Wheels give me satisfaction on four different skating rink floors I haven't tried any of the other stuff. I want to have one skate, one wheel, one boot that I can skate anywhere. My setup now is the closest and I would try to convince others for the same thing if I could.

Larry O

P.S. But I know the key for me and I would give this advice to anybody else.
Get custom made boots. I haven't done this and this will hurt me in the end.

I have my original Custom Gold Stars from 40 years ago. I want to send them out and get them rebuilt. I hoping the my original plates, in the garage somewhere are Size 9. But they maybe be size 8. When you go to custom boot your plate size might change slightly. So I don't know what my original synder imperial, Gold Star Custom boot setup is exactly, because I haven't looked for them yet.

When I was younger my Mom and Pro always gave me the best skates, wheels, boots and bearings. I feel I'm letting them down by not skating on Custom Boots.
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #16
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Larry O..

Thanks.. It makes sense to me.

I know I'm asking for opinions and things are different for each skater. But replies like this gives me a starting point and information for thought. I might find that I'm 180 degrees different from you but a starting point is so very helpful. We will see..

"LarryO <When I was younger my Mom and Pro always gave me the best skates, wheels, boots and bearings. I feel I'm letting them down by not skating on Custom Boots.> " = well it could be worst.. you could not be skating at all!!

Thanks so much. With a rocky start this tread is proving to be very useful.

Thanks Larry O.. and all who have replied.
Old June 10th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #17
larryoracing

Smile Kneez, one more thought. You mentioned:

I want plates that are conservative in their appearance but suitable for my type of skating.

The "Sure Grip" site has next to no information on the plates.

If it's my poor search skills can someone please direct me?

http://www.lowpriceskates.com/sure-g...FQaBfgodexcAQA

Kneez, I'm going to take a "180" degree approach to this conversation.

Maybe you want the cheapest skates that look like and act like a Synder SD? a cheaper skate that performs pretty good, for your type of skating.

I haven't skated since the late 70's. I only did session, jam and rhythm skating (with very little rhythm to my skating but I tried). I did get to the point where I was in the upper 85% of the rinks better skaters. Once I joined the Marine Corps that was the end of my skating.

The best sure grip skate in the 70's was the Sure Grip "Classic". I bought these skates and they were fine, but just couldn't take the pounding of Freestyle, singles skating. I had to upgrade to the synders. The snyders were like cadillacs, but I bought them only because the Sure Grip Classic could not take the abuse of the jumping and spinning.

Maybe these plates would be fine for you. They are probably 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a Snyder Advantage or Many of the very nice proline plates that everybody loves and skates on. Everybody raves about thier prolines, which their are many models, that I know nothing about. But the proline and synder advantage do cost more.

Maybe for you skill level, the Sure Grip Classic skate on a Reidell 220 boot and Bones 101A wheels and the Bones Red precision bearings would be fine.

Larry O. This is 180 degrees from what everybody is preaching. Maybe this is what you want but did not ask for....LOL!
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #18
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Greetings:

I made my first move. I ordered Snyder Advantage Plates. As mentioned the Super Deluxe plates may have been great for the skating I plan on doing but the Advantage is newer technology as Snyders go and will probably carry me further.

*****Sorry for the extra large pictures******

*****Sorry for the extra large pictures******

Now I need boots, bearings and wheels.

So far in the running:

Riedell 297
Riedell 172
From what I have read the 297s are stiffer. I'm ok with stiffer. Years ago I had a pair of "Men's" Betty Lytles which I outgrew. They looked like this (without the blades :

I had to purchases another pair of boots as I couldn't stand my feet hurting after a few hours at the rink. I bought another pair of Hydes (I don't remember the model - but they didn't say Betty Lytle) to replace the now to small Betty Lytles.
They looked like this.

Notice that none had split toes. I like the look without the seams running up the toe. Is there any other boot out there that look like the above boots other than the Riedell 172s? Maybe a little stiffer?

Most might not like them but with a decent polish - I think they are sexy...
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #19
larryoracing

Smile knezz, I hope you don't get into trouble because you bought your

skates before buying your boots?

1) hopefully this won't become a problem and if it is hopefully snyder will do an exchange.

a) You are getting out of my leaque because you bought the Advantage. To me this means you took a definite road/direction, where these skates were designed for, which is basically an Artistic Figure Skate designed for Artistic Dances and Figures. They say this skate is stronger than the SD. Hmmm?

And the Advertisements leads you to beieve they are Freestyle Jumping skate to do doubles, triples, quadruples...etc, competing with the likes of a Proline DB12, in my opinion.

I'm not so sure this is the case listening to skaters (1) that ending up throwing his Advantage skates away and kept his SD's. And trust me I respect anything this mans says. And this man did do jumps and spins?

b) many skaters have said they were doing the same stuff you were doing and ventured to the Proline skate, not to mention I bet their are hundreds of skaters that went the Synder Lite Version, like the Royal, which are advertised as Derby, Speed Skates, but it seems and I could be wrong many of these skaters do Rythm, JB, ETC, ETC with these synder royals and are not derby and speed skaters as Snyder Advertisements proclaim.

2) What I worry about, is when you decide on your boots, whatever they may be and I have not clue, because I don't know what you want type of skating you will do, if you buy custom boots and if the boots you buy are not standard, will they fit the plates you bought?

3) I guess what I'm saying, 1st you got to decide the type of skating you will do/want to do. The boots are the most important thing you can buy. 2nd you buy the boots, custom or derby or whatever. Then you match the boots and type of skating to the plate, be it advantage, proline, altas..ie..what ever the general public convinces you is best for the type of skating you will do. After that comes the wheels and bearings.

Larry O

P.S. Good Luck. The step you take is a 1000 thousand dollar adventure and it is serious and demands a lot of thought. Buying used equipment like I do, is a no brainer. I can't loose..in general..LOL!
Like I said, I bought perfect conditon Gold Star boots, on a Synder SD plate, precision bearing and wheels for 200.00. No matter what I do I can turn around and sell these skates for 200 dollars tomorrow. You can't you are making a big step.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:50 PM   #20
ricw91756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knezz View Post
Thanks for taking out the time to respond.....

I looked through eBay but couldn't find anything in my size (12D). As you mentioned it takes time on eBay and as it goes a pair will show up 15 minutes after I purchase skates.

I was looking at the 297s and the 172s. I happen to not like the seams running up the toe. I've seen other skaters bust the seams of boots with the seams showing. I can't say if they were Riedells or not. I don't think I skate hard enough to split them but ascetically I don't like them but could if I find that they are much better than the 172s. I hear the 172s are kind of soft on the support?? With my skating style I don't think I need much support.

As for bearings - I was thinking of cube gold swiss. I've heard good things about them. Any thoughts?

Wheels - I was weened on Flo-Macs Premiers (brown and tan).. then switch to bones elites 35 years ago. With the Fo-Macs I could "Hockey Stop". When I switched to the Bones the "Hockey Stopping" ended. I'm looking for wheels that will allow me to "Hockey Stop" with more grip than the Fo-Macs??

As for cushions.. I'm lost in the sauce.

Thanks again for your time.
You and I have a lot in common. It's benn since the early 70's for me. But my advantage was that I still had my Snyders. But after all these years they needed work. So here is what I did. First of all, I do not skate on any floor that is not a wood floor. It's my "old" body and my preference. Concrete floors are hard and crack especially if you live in an area where seasonal temperatures dramatically change. Rubber coated concrete floors are STILL harder than wood. As for my skates, I have a pair of Riedell 297 boots mounted on Snyder Super Seluxe plates. I removed the boots from the plates and sent them back to Riedell to have the tongues replaced. Cost 79.00 including shipping both ways. I disassenbled the plates and sent them to be polished. 75.00. Replaced the jump bars and and cushions with Snyder OEM parts. Replaced the bearins with Abec7 (7 ball) bearings # 627ZZ. These bearings have metal seals on both sides and are rated up to 3100 rpms. They are greased with grease instead of speed lube. They cost less than 25.00 for a full set and since I'm not a speed skater, these will last a long time. Here's the link... http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/7mm/Kit220 I am using Sure grip Velvets 99A. I don't need to hockey stop anymore. I use the T stop. I've spent less than 250.00 rebuilding my skates and combined with the original purchase price of 375.00 in 1970, I've still spent less than a brand new pair of the same. These skates perform better now than when new and at almost 60 years old, I'm only skating for health reasons and to take my grandsons skating. Oh, and I had to breakdown and buy new boot strings too. But I wouldn't sell my set up for 2K, that's how pleased I am with them.

You might not have a set from the 70's but you can find them on here or ebay and rebuilding them as I did, I think you will really be happy.

Happy Skating ! ! !
ricw91756 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plates, snyder, snyder plates