S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 5th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #141
zerkotin

Default its here :D

zerkotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #142
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerkotin View Post
Nice looking skates. Looking forward to your review.
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #143
zerkotin

Default First impressions

Ok, so I've been on the track today with the new setup.
It was legen wait for it.... Dary, legendary.

I got a nice blister but that's cause I didn't heat mold.
Let's start with the shoe, goddddd how did I skate with such a big shoe before? 2 sizes up!!!
No more wobble, thank you, finally.

The frame, wow, when I held it in my hand I understood why everyone calls it bulletproof, this thing is thick.
I can sit back now without feeling like I'm gonna fall, the longer frame is awesome.
More over I did t have any issue whatsoever with the new height or length.
Actually I was faster.

Bones reds, very nice, I expected less, they roll and roll and never stop.

And Bont red magic, great roll, far better than the g13 my friend had today.

I'll add more later, it's heat molding time
Old November 7th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #144
Code Monkey

Ok, everyone has their own way of heat molding. Something I have done on my Vapors as suggested on this site and also did it on my edgeTeks and it has worked so incredibly well, I have never had a shoe fit so well.

equipment needed... ultra thin lycra socks, ankle wrap that is self adhesive.

Heat the boot to temperature and keep it there for around ten to fifteen minutes before removing. Put on the thinnest sock you can find or use a women's stocking or as I did, just put my barefoot in a hot boot. Now this is borderline stupid so the better option is to put on a thin lycra sock that is wet. Then lace up tight and wrap your foot and boot with the ankle wrap as tight as you can. Sit down in a chair with your foot in racing position. Leave your foot in that boot for 30 minutes.

Take your foot out very slowly and gently, unlacing almost all the way so you do not pull on the sides of the boot.

DO NOT BUCKLE THE BOOT!

Let the boot cool without your foot in it for a few hours. Be patient, take your time, let the boot resin set.

Go skate. At first you will have the tightest boot known to man. But after around 100 miles (oops! 161 km) the boot will mold perfectly to your foot. It may take some unlacing to get it on and you may not be able to slip in on fast but once you get it on and laced up it will be so awesome and one with your foot.

I have skinny heels and have always had heel slippage issues that I just lived with then I read this method and also added squeezing my Achilles area with long needle nose pliers and since I had so much ankle wrap around my entire foot, no imprint was made by the pliers it just squeezed it tight. I have been skating almost every day in all kinds of weather (although most likely not nearly as hard as you do) and have not had to reheat at all and it has now been over 2 years.

Best to you in skating.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #145
cass38a

remember to try out your old frames and wheels with your new boots as well just for comparison........and every other combination so you get a real feel for what each part of the skate contributes to the feel.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #146
Code Monkey

Hey cass, sent you a reply to your pm.

Self-adhesive ankle wrap.
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Coach-...ive+ankle+wrap

Zerkotin, something I have discovered. Cass38a has a very good point. I have the Powerslide Carbon frame and really like it. However, I have a Cado 13 inch 3x110 1x100 frame and I find that when the pavement is something I have to pay close attention to and have to maneuver around then the Cado is much better for me. On pavement that is less difficult for me to navigate then the Powerslide is best. I bet awesome on the track. Funny because I seem to notice on rougher pavement the Powerslide absorbs much more road vibration. The Cado has support bridges so it is very stiff which I really like because I weight 90.7 kg. But it will make your teeth rattle. I don't notice the deck height until I hit something that makes my ankle go over to much to fast and can't correct it. Almost a sprain movement. So being the coward I am, I prefer the Cado.

I used to be much bolder but now I am just older.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:34 AM   #147
zerkotin

Default injuries + crappy indoor session

hi guys, couple of updates
1. some people said, you cant buy speed, i totally disagree.
you can t compare a 22$ 110mm wheel to a crappy 100mm 8$ wheel, no way.
so, to everyone new building a setup, boot, important, should be comfy enough to skate, and get good wheels, that makes the whole difference in speed, roll and grip. huge difference, i cant stress that enough.

2. over the last month i had some nasty falls. happens, but it got me scared and opened my eyes as to how dangerous this sport is. i broke my helmet on thursday, if it werent for the helmet my brain would splash all over the track.
3 weeks ago i fell at about 40kmh, my knee was eaten almost to the bone. its still healing. and the new 110s that doesnt slow down doesnt really help all that, once you start rolling it goes on forever which makes stopping hard. so if somone crosses me, i cant do anything but crash or try a T stop.
and lastly somone in the peloton before me fell, i tried to jump and didnt make it my ass is so sore that i cant sleep or sit on the left side.
i need to ride off this fear, its all i think about when i skate now, even to the point of quiting, although i dont, but it comes to mind.

3. yesterday we had an indoor training, what a crappy floor, it was so slippery, i wasnt using indoor wheels, but my red magic x-firm are pretty new, and still it was slippery, we have another session today, maybe we only need to get used to it and learn the tactics.

stay calm and skate on.

Last edited by zerkotin; November 23rd, 2014 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added a picture of the assembled setup
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #148
Code Monkey

OK STOP RIGHT THERE ZERKOTIN!!!!

Get back to skating more in your range! Slow down a bit. Build up. Spend time on skates. Enjoy it. Stretch out while skating.

When your brain starts entertaining the idea of quitting it is trying to protect you. Just slow it down a bit and take care of yourself. After awhile your brain will feel better about the whole skating endeavor and you will once again be zooming along. But slow down, just for now, and take care of yourself. Don't quit.
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #149
cass38a

It was me who you are quoting when I said you cant buy speed, it was over in your frame thread. If you go back and re read the entire thread you will find that 10 days before this statement I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
agree 100% your bont 100mm frames are a great frame for someone who is just starting out. In my opinion you dont need to be looking into 110mm frames until you are skating 10klm in 20 minutes (ie cruise at 30 kph) and even then you might like to go with a 105mm or high low set up before getting onto a 4x110.

Good boots and wheels are a much better place to drop your coin.

Grab some MPCs or G13s for the skates you have and your speed will probably go up by a couple of klm per hour and get some serious miles in your legs. By the time you are ready for 110mm there will be new and better frames out there.
Perhaps if you had stayed on the 100s but gone with a quality wheel and boots that fit you would not be falling as much and be in better control of your skates.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #150
zerkotin

a. im not quitting, it was just a rough month, multiple injuries, and a few bad training sessions. yesterday we did another indoor session and it was clean this time, i felt like myself again, was a good practice. it is like you say, i need to stop thinking and just skate.

b. regarding the wheels and speed, you are probably right, but i thought the gyros i had were good at the time, they were 20$ wheels. the red magic are better by far. and thats what i meant, you get good wheels and its a whole new game the roll and grip are amazing, i dont struggle to keep up witht the peloton anymore, the wheels maintain the speed better.
than again, im on 110, so i cant compare it to the same wheel at 100mm, only to the gyros i had.
but when thinking about it, if i held up with crappy 100mm, maybe i could have done better with good 100mm.
as for the falling, it had nothing to do with technique or anything, just bad luck, once i didnt notice a bump on the road, the other time we were on a peloton and somone fell in front of me. and another was during lazy cross overs, that was my fault. the point is, sometimes you fall, it happens eventually. it was just too concentrated and got me depressed and thinking.

last nights indoor session was amazing, i dont have indoor wheels but my red magics are almost new. didnt see much of the road.
did 12.2 laps, far better than the day before i where i did 15.
clean floor makes a big difference.
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #151
karpmaster

Quote:
a. im not quitting, it was just a rough month, multiple injuries, and a few bad training sessions. yesterday we did another indoor session and it was clean this time, i felt like myself again, was a good practice. it is like you say, i need to stop thinking and just skate.

b. regarding the wheels and speed, you are probably right, but i thought the gyros i had were good at the time, they were 20$ wheels. the red magic are better by far. and thats what i meant, you get good wheels and its a whole new game the roll and grip are amazing, i dont struggle to keep up witht the peloton anymore, the wheels maintain the speed better.
than again, im on 110, so i cant compare it to the same wheel at 100mm, only to the gyros i had.
but when thinking about it, if i held up with crappy 100mm, maybe i could have done better with good 100mm.
as for the falling, it had nothing to do with technique or anything, just bad luck, once i didnt notice a bump on the road, the other time we were on a peloton and somone fell in front of me. and another was during lazy cross overs, that was my fault. the point is, sometimes you fall, it happens eventually. it was just too concentrated and got me depressed and thinking.

last nights indoor session was amazing, i dont have indoor wheels but my red magics are almost new. didnt see much of the road.
did 12.2 laps, far better than the day before i where i did 15.
clean floor makes a big difference.
you did really good yesterday indoor training.
the day before the surface was covered with lots of dust from the Hockey training the entire day, and even I sliiped and fell with my indoor wheels.
karpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #152
Letme

I need to write this for future reference:
Quote:
1. some people said, you cant buy speed, i totally disagree.
you can t compare a 22$ 110mm wheel to a crappy 100mm 8$ wheel, no way.
Yet on 22$ 110mm wheel (that is fairly aggressive) this happens:
Quote:
over the last month i had some nasty falls.
What all our advice was to get your technique and risk management to right level so you dont end up quitting (as Code Monkey said) before you have even started good (most people end up after fall or two if damage is right). And from our experience one broken helmet is enough for more than 1 skater, who seen it, leave the sport. Nice to see it is not stopping you.
But with 100mm wheels, slower (so you would not reach 40km/h with ****** technique), your falls would be a lot less damaging (just road rush, not to the bone). You would have TIME to react and a bit more slippage is welcome because every mistake is not punishable but you just slip (much less damage).
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #153
karpmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letme View Post
I need to write this for future reference:

Nice to see it is not stopping you.
But with 100mm wheels, slower (so you would not reach 40km/h with ****** technique), your falls would be a lot less damaging (just road rush, not to the bone). You would have TIME to react and a bit more slippage is welcome because every mistake is not punishable but you just slip (much less damage).
I was there and crashed over him(my fault- messed with my timer).
we just started the warm up and the speed was extremely slow below 20kph.
The problem was that the lights were not working and we couldn't see a thing in the crossovers area.
karpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #154
zerkotin

Default comments

@karpmaster, thanks

@Letme, im as stable on the 110 as i was on the 100. people shouldnt be afraid of the move. and my technique is far from perfect but is fine. the bone grinding was on the 100 a few weeks ago, so the point you were trying to make isnt valid, sometimes you miss a step, sometimes you dont see something on the road, these things happen.
i had a rough week, i was just releasing some steam, my mistake was to do it here.
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #155
Code Monkey

No Zerkotin, release it here!!!! That helps all of us!! Me especially. Sometimes I get all down on myself because my times don't lower, in fact increase. And I can't really figure out the frame thing, I really can't. I put on my Powerslide carbon and just tore up my times for the 5000 meters yesterday. Sometimes my times are better on my Cado 3x110 1x100 sometimes not. I also can't make a correlation between distance of marathon and 5000 meters. Sometimes better sometimes not.

I think sometimes but then again not for sure, that it is easier for me to deal with rough and bad road conditions with the lower frame but then like this morning on my Powerslide carbon I was jumping all kinds of bad holes left by recent heavy rains. Wheels, I don't get the most expensive and sometimes I think I can tell faster wheels but then it will change on me in another skate. The only thing that seems to hold true and consistent with me is my shoe. I just got the edgeTek es-850 on a whim because I liked the low cut and the looks of it. I can honestly say without second guessing myself it has turned out to be the most remarkable skate shoe I have ever skated in. So as cass38a said, the shoe is all important.

I can see where skating in a pack would be lots of fun but it also has it's risks, especially at high speed. Unavoidable. It is good to hear you aren't quitting and it was just frustration speaking. We need all the skaters we can get.

Let yourself heal properly.
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:17 PM   #156
zerkotin

Default Indoor

Ok, I really like indoor

Tags
advice, bont, fila, luigino, speed