S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 14th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #1
LizzieSiddal

Default Problems with Bones Reds Bearings shields moving

Hi,

I've been reading the forum for quite a while and have gained loads of useful information from here but this is the first time I'm posting.

I'm new to skating (I've only started skating 3 months ago and I had never skated before in my life) so I don't know much about roller skates and bearings and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I've been having:

I have Riedell R3's and I have both indoor (Radar FlatOuts) and outdoor (Radar Pure) wheels. I put the KWIK ABEC-5 bearings that came with the R3 on my outdoor wheels and I got some Bones Reds Bearings for my indoor wheels. I have no problems whatsoever with my outdoor wheels and bearings but my indoor wheels and Bones Reds have been giving me some headaches!

The first time I put my Bone Reds on my indoor wheels and tightened the nuts on them I heard a terrible creaking sound on some of them when I tightened it all the way. When I looked at bearings some of the shields seemed as though they had moved to the side. I instantly thought "Oh god, I just ruined new expensive bearings by tighting them too tight" but the thing is, I didn't tighten them very tight at all and this never happens with my ABEC-5 when I tighten them all the way, but it happens all the time with my Bones Reds. I then fixed the shields that had moved, by taking them out and putting them back in again.

However, the nuts on 3 of my wheels keep getting loose everytime I skate. No matter how much I tighten them, the nuts on those 3 wheels always get loose mid-skating during practice (this never happens when I'm outdoor skating with my outdoor wheels). Today as I was switching my oudoor wheels to my indoor wheels to get ready for practice I notcied the shields on my Bones Reds had moved again. Specifically, 3 of them are the worse so I'm thinking maybe these are the 3 wheels that keep getting loose?

Could someone give me some insight, please? Everybody says such good things of Bones Reds Bearings but I'm starting to hate mine...

here is a picture of what I mean when I say the shields move to the side:

Thanks!
LizzieSiddal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #2
WJCIV

I don't think I have this problem with Bones, but I do have some bearings where the shield goes off center. You might claim that the little gap there lets in more dust, but as long as they keep rolling, I really don't care. The only thing the shield does it keep out dirt. As long as it doesn't make contact with the balls on the inside, it doesn't affect roll. Do your bearings roll freely?

Assuming that you don't have spacers and speed washers, you really shouldn't be tightening the nuts all the way. Tighten until the wheels don't roll freely, then back off 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn. You can spin the wheels while you tighten, or just wait until it feels a little bit harder to turn. If you hear any sort of creaking sound, you are cranking them too much.

As far as nuts coming loose, there are a couple options. I'm assuming you have nylon nuts. Those wear out the more you turn them - especially if you are overtightening. I have heard that you should replace them after every 5 wheel changes. I have also heard that you should replace them when they come loose on there own. I personally wait until they can be tightened by fingers instead of requiring a tool, which is a couple dozen wheel changes. You can buy a little bit more time by turning them around backwards. A new set it about $5, and you should probably replace all of them at the same time.

The other option is locktite. If you have multiple nuts coming loose, you are probably beyond this point, but you can put some on the axles. It will hold the nut without making it impossible to remove.

Finally, there is a duct tape option (isn't there always?). Assuming there is some thread showing on the outside of the nut, you can wrap that with duct tape, or wrap it with thread and duct tape the end of the thread to the nut. This really is the approach of last resort. Don't consider it unless you absolutely need that wheel to stay on for the rest of your current workout and don't have locktite or a new nut on hand. It is not a long term solution.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

What comes to mind, do you have a wheel bearing press, possibly the reds are a little larger than 22mm od and you need to press them in all the way before putting on a nut, so if the bearing isn't all the way in the nut won't be on far enough to engage the nylon lock on the outside of the nut, of course the nut should push the bearing in all the way, if the "tech" knows where the bearing belongs.

If the bearing is loose in the bore, it's possibly that it's moving oddly and allowing the shield to contact the nut, moving the shield on the bearing.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #4
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

recently put in a new set of RBredz and got a similar result 1 of 16 keeps getting pushed into the raceway with even the lightest pressure from assembly tools.
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama of death View Post
recently put in a new set of RBredz and got a similar result 1 of 16 keeps getting pushed into the raceway with even the lightest pressure from assembly tools.
What's the raceway?
So you have a press?
Looking at the picture in the first post(in this thread),is the bearing loose in the wheel, jiggly loose?
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I don't like bones reds, or super redz or swiss. They overcharge for a fairly generic part of a skate.

I wouldn't worry about it though. If it bothers you, contact them with that picture and see if they will send you a set of extra shields. Or ask some locals if they have extra shields, as some skaters like to run without dirt shields.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #7
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieSiddal View Post
When I looked at bearings some of the shields seemed as though they had moved to the side.
The Kwik bearings I have seen have metal shields. If the nutdriver you are using contacts a metal shield not much happens. However if a nutdriver mashes on a rubber/metal shield like on Bones Reds it can be bent or otherwise distorted. Might even make a noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
possibly the reds are a little larger than 22mm
Not likely. Bearings tend to be the most accurately made part on a skate. Wheel bores are all over the place in comparison.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Dec8rSk8r

I wonder how innocent the axles are on those R3's? You could switch wheels/bearings around to check. Or take the shields off the bearing. I have some reds like that because those shields are easy to bend cleaning the bearing.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #9
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Not likely. Bearings tend to be the most accurately made part on a skate. Wheel bores are all over the place in comparison.
While for the most part this is true, I do, however, have a few 8 Ball metal cage Fafnirs that absolutely will not fit in any of my aluminum hubbed wheels, even those with sloppy bores. I can force them into plastic hubs or no hubbed wheels though
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #10
LizzieSiddal

Hey,

Thanks for all the replies and all the help!

I actually don't have a bearing press, I just pressed the bearings in with my hands, so it would make sense that maybe those 3 wheels that keep getting loose don't have their bearings in properly.

I think the problem is not the nuts that came with the R3, as I have no problem at all with the outdoor wheels that have the kwik bearings on them.

However, I've just bought a bearing press and some new nuts and I'm going to take all the bearings out and put them back in and change the nuts so let's see how that goes. If the problem persists after that I guess I'll just have to switch my Bones Reds to my outdoor wheels and my Kwik bearings to my indoor wheels. I'm starting to think I should've just gotten very very cheap bearings for my outdoor wheels and I should've just kept the Kiwik bearings on my indoor wheels, that would've save me some money and all this trouble
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Sir Aaron

I have two sets of Bones Swiss, 2 Qube pink, and 1 Qube orange (and whatever is on my daughter's cheap Crazy skates). I find a bearing puller/press to be an essential tool. I think you'll like using a good one.

Your picture of your Bones Red looks like a real problem. There should not be any gaps. Nor should your nuts be falling off. (the nylon is supposed to prevent that).

One thing you may try are bearing spacers. Roll Line uses them on their wheels (as does Crazy). The spacers go in between the two bearings to prevent problems such as you are having.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #12
LizzieSiddal

Hey,

Once again thank you so much, you were all very very helpful, the new bearing press and the new nuts did the truck, my wheels are all rolling perfectly tightened now! Thanks
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #13
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Geez I did this once

Hi

One wheel fell off that one time. It was actually funny to me when it happened since I knew immediately my screw up.

Well your problem seems solved, yet I think what happened is that you put in the bearings and then you lightly tightened the nuts. Then when you skated well stuff happened. Like nuts coming off.

You don't need a bearing press to put in new bearings, yet you do have to make sure the bearings are fully seated and cranked into position.

I am not sure you needed all new nuts yet from time to time you do need a new nut. I have had most of mine for years if not decades.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Tags
bearings, bones reds