S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old November 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #21
FoCo JamSkater
I ♥ Jam Skating!!1!

Default Novita

Best plate ever! It's good for speed, Jam, everything!!
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #22
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Wow. Some very odd opinions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Actually, can't let this slip by, it's easier to learn on 5-10 degree plates, more stable, less turning action, it's much easier to slide up on the two side wheels of each skate and play around,45's require better balance and more skill.

How is getting up on 2 side wheels and playing around useful in derby. Oh, hang on. You're talking jam skating. This isn't the Quad forum. This is the derby forum.

Yes, going to a Nylon or plastic plate will save weight but keep an open mind, after getting comfortable on a bont with a nylon plate try an alloy plate, better balance, better energy transfer, less fatigue for the skater.

Again, a little off center, IMHO. The Bont gives a nylon plate stiffness. That is the point. Better balance? Less fatigue? Huh?

Ideally you would buy a plate that offered both D/A5-10 and D/A45, if you had a set of each and the boots were drilled and both plates fit the same holes you could learn exactly how different the two actions are.jmho,ymmv
The only way any of this makes sense to me is to assume you are talking about jam skating, not derby.
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #23
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCo JamSkater View Post

Best plate ever! It's good for speed, Jam, everything!!
The Novita is sweet, no doubt. Best for speed? I think some speed skaters would disagree. Many better plates for pure speed. Jam? Most folks seem to like a stiff 10 degree plate. Everything? This is probably closest to the truth. One could probably make a good case for the Novita as being a very good all around plate. But even then, it is a matter of personal preference. Roll Lines are beautiful great performing plates. It may be the best plate ever for you, but it is unrealistic to assert one plate is best for everything. Not meaning to disrespect your plate, but no plate is best at everything.
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #24
ursle
Street Skater

Calm down rufus, just cleaning up some misconceptions, the OP's that 45's are easier to learn on and yours that the best skaters are on 5-10's, not going to categorize the best system, MOST skaters are on 5-10's, if, in your opinion, the best skating in your immediate area is being done by someone on a 5-10, great, someone with more experience might see someone in more control on a different rig, just sayin' just communicating, not gonna argue plastic vs metal, not gonna argue ability of skaters
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #25
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Any one of the new Luigino plates buy the looks of the pics they would look awesome on Bonts boots.
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #26
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Calm down rufus, just cleaning up some misconceptions, the OP's that 45's are easier to learn on and yours that the best skaters are on 5-10's, not going to categorize the best system, MOST skaters are on 5-10's, if, in your opinion, the best skating in your immediate area is being done by someone on a 5-10, great, someone with more experience might see someone in more control on a different rig, just sayin' just communicating, not gonna argue plastic vs metal, not gonna argue ability of skaters
Not looking to lock horns at all. Your post just did not seem to make sense to me. I have re-read it and I still don't see the derby connection?? It seems to make more sense for a jam skater.
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #27
Fox-Z

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Skate Assets: I tried one of the other DD girls' bonts/avengers setup and it felt pretty darn good. Definitely going to go with these having heard all these thoughts and opinions
Fox-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #28
skate mech

Things I have observed watching people learn how to skate at derby practice:

It doesn't matter what you put them on first. If that is all they know, they will learn how to do it.

People who stick with garbage gear longer than FM training are more likely to have trouble upgrading gear later.

FM package skates like R3's are great to learn how to stay upright on wheels and that is about it.

Every single skater who I have put on SF Avengers has shown immediate improvement in both agility and form.
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #29
kiwimaster

Try the Bont plates,nice fit to the bont boots.middle action angle.cheap...you are unlikely to be disappointed given the time you have been skating.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #30
Agenda

I sent my foot tracing in to Bont and they are putting me in a size 6.5 for the left boot and a 7 for the right. I want to get Avenger plates, so what size do I order for a "sport" mount?
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #31
quantoo

Default you could ask doc on the sport mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
I sent my foot tracing in to Bont and they are putting me in a size 6.5 for the left boot and a 7 for the right. I want to get Avenger plates, so what size do I order for a "sport" mount?
My opinion on a size 7 us Womens is go long forward. size 5 mag avenger has 180mm wheel base and as the avenger turns well enough . long is front to rear stable.
Doc would probably recommend a size 3 sport mount which gives you a 160mm wheelbase
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #32
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Pencil and paper, bare foot, trace your foot, (a carpenters square would be good, a book on it's end will "act" as a square) mark where your outside ankle bone is(rear axle placement) and now decide on a front axle placement, the point between the big and index toes is easy to spot so mark it, and decide how far behind it you want your front axle, measure the distance between your rear mark and your estimated front mark, that's your between axle distance, it'll be a 1 or possibly 2 in terms of plate size.
Sport forward will be about a 1/4-3/8th's" behind the junction of your big and index toes, less for speed, more for agility.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #33
Armadillo

Quote:
Actually, can't let this slip by, it's easier to learn on 5-10 degree plates, more stable, less turning action, it's much easier to slide up on the two side wheels of each skate and play around,45's require better balance and more skill.
Yes, going to a Nylon or plastic plate will save weight but keep an open mind, after getting comfortable on a bont with a nylon plate try an alloy plate, better balance, better energy transfer, less fatigue for the skater.
Ideally you would buy a plate that offered both D/A5-10 and D/A45, if you had a set of each and the boots were drilled and both plates fit the same holes you could learn exactly how different the two actions are.jmho,ymmv
Really, it is just easier for novice skaters to AVOID falling on less turning responsive (R3...) plates, but much harder to learn balance on them.
To begin to master learning balance demands a plate have some decent amount of turning response.

True, DA45 plates, without some restricting of the action, tend to offer too much turning response for beginners to feel comfortable with learning to have good one foot down balance, but if a sub-20 degree KP plate is what a beginner skates on, it should still have its suspension freed up enough to not hinder the process of learning balance.

If your skate balances you, by having a choked up suspension, you are going to have a hard time learning the skills it takes to be a skater with good balance, and you are also going to have to work much too hard getting them to turn very much.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; November 25th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #34
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
That half size is not a big deal plate wise. Mount wise, I would think that the front axle placement will be most important. You may need to send a foot tracing to your mounter showing where the ball of you foot is so they can position the front axle properly. That is the most important thing. For actual plate size, check with one of the guys. DVW, Doc, Geno, Ogfarmskater, etc.
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:51 AM   #35
Apocalypse

I'm in a size 7.5 Bont and have a 150mm(size2) plate, its not very far forward and told its similar to a sportmount. All I do know is it didnt take long getting use to and I am very comfortable and confident on them. I also have outdoor SGrebel size9 with a mag-avenger size3 (160mm) plate and it feels aproximately the same as my Bont setup as far as plate placement.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM   #36
skate mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
really, it is just easier to avoid falling on less turning responsive (r3...) plates, but much harder to learn balance to begin to master learning balance demands a plate have some decent amount of turning response.

True, da45 plates, without some restricting of the action, may offer too much response for beginners to feel comfortable with learning to have good one foot down balance, but if a sub-20 degree kp plate is what a beginner skates on, it should still have its suspension freed up enough to not hinder the process of learning balance.

If your skate balance you, by having a choked up suspension, you are going to have a hard time learning the skills it takes to be a skater with good balance, and you are also going to have to work much too hard getting them to turn very much.

-armadillo
this.is.all.true.

Weird. It changed my all caps to lower case.

Last edited by skate mech; November 21st, 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: wtf
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bonts