S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #1
Fox-Z

Default Bonts + ? plate....

Hi all,
I have FINALLY made the decision, after a year and a half of skating, to upgrade my R3s. I have decided to get bonts, after trying some quad hybrids and really liking them. I live in NZ so it's not overly easy for me to get gear, and so I want to make sure I get it right.

Main question - I've read mixed opinions on the avenger plates (some say the 45s are wonderful, others that they are best for beginners but then not so great) and have had someone mention the new bont plates, which I am struggling to find information or reviews on.

Anyone here had any experience skating derby with the bont plates? Or have any general plate recommendations that don't move me into unaffordable-price-range?
Fox-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Amefyst

Hey!

Go with the Magnesium Avenger. They are NOT just fir beginners. In fact most of the Denver mile high club is on them-hardly newbies.

You can adjust the action to skate more like a 10-15degree plate if you don't like it super loose. At the price point, you can't go wrong.
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Salamanda

Depends which Bont plate you mean? The ones available on their packages now have been around for about a year and are quite nice - action very similar to that of a Roll line. Plastic trucks though which may or may not be a problem (personally I prefer a metal truck as I'm not a lightweight), but RL trucks can be substituted with a bit of fiddling.
If you mean their new high end plate then that hasn't been released yet. Hopefully by the end of the year. A few of us have seen it when someone from Bont accidentally posted it on their FB page briefly and it looks really sweet. Might be worth waiting a couple of months?
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #4
cass38a

There really is only one plate that looks "right" on a Bont......... It starts with B
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
There really is only one plate that looks "right" on a Bont......... It starts with B
I dunno mate, I'm still not sold on the whole Beadle/Bont thing!

It is pretty hard to go past the Avenger as far as bang for your buck.
Or you get spendy and go Royal.
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Fox-Z

Thanks guys. Salamanda - Didn't know there was a new plate coming soon, so I must mean the old ones! I'm a fairly lightweight skater if that effects plate choice. Have you skated the bont plates?

Cass and Big Nick - no idea what you're talking about! :P
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7
cass38a

Big Nick is just playing silly buggers.

All the best stuff in quad skating either starts with a b or has a "line" in the name.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Amefyst

ok...let's keep on track boys
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #9
jjinnz

hi fox.. im also in nz , up in auckland . i have just mounted my wifes old probe plates on to a pair of bont hybrids as i read on here that with the stiff soles on the bonts you can get away with the nylon plates.. only did it this week and she has not skated on them yet, we have the the same size feet and will take to practice tonight and get back to you
jjinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #10
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Thumbs up Might I Suggest A Snyder Advantage Or Roll Line Novita...

Depending on whether a 45 works for you or not, the Advantage is a 15 degree plate & works well everywhere. Both these plates will mount flush with a Bont sole too!

Derrick......
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox-Z View Post
Main question - I've read mixed opinions on the avenger plates (some say the 45s are wonderful, others that they are best for beginners but then not so great) and have had someone mention the new bont plates, which I am struggling to find information or reviews on.
I have said things along these lines, so let me clarify. There are some skaters that do amazing things on 5-10-15 degree plates. I think 10 is the most common, so I'll lump them into one group, 10 degree. These people are, in my estimation, the top 5-10% of skaters. VERY SKILLED, and strong as well. These skaters need to pop on one axle quickly, skillfully, and REPEATEDLY to get good performance out of a 10 degree. Most or us are not, and will NEVER, be quite THAT skilled.

So, where does that leave the rest of us 90% of skaters. Us 90% will NEVER be as skilled, or unusually strong in the right places, to be as good on a 10 degree plate. Enter the 45 degree plate. It has a greater built in ability to turn. Exactly what a 10 degree cannot do. The plate helps us do what we do not have the skill/strength to do on a 10 degree. This is not to suggest that a 45 degree plate is "training wheels" for skating or only for a new skater. It is just a plate that provides the derby player exactly what they need: Good maneuvering ability without exerting a lot of energy to get it. This is why it is good for a newer skater. It does not mean you need to "graduate" from a 45 to something else.

Where things get contentious and confusing is when these top 10% skaters start talking. They say, get this 10 degree, eat raw road kill, train hard, and you will be like me. Then you ask them about 45 degree. Oh, that, that is trash. As explained above, there is a reason the best skaters are the best skaters. Largely skill and strength. Things are changing though. Some really good skaters are on 45's. But everywhere I have seen, 10 degree rules.

Less efficient. A 10 degree loses a little less energy on a push, a 45 degree, loses a little more. So in theory, a 10 degree wins in a sprint. Some will argue that you can get used to a 45 and be equal, but I personally concede that the 10 degree has a push edge. However, a 45 degree makes up for it some by allowing one to push effectively in awkward positions, where a 10 degree works better in near ideal pushing situations.

In the End: So 45 turns much better, 10 pushes a little better. On balance, for derby, the turn outweighs the push. Consider the short track and near constant turning. This is how a 45 is better than a 10 for derby.

As for getting rid of a 45 after time. I went about 2 years with the 45 when I started to be able to do some single axle stuff. 2 years of repeatedly getting the feel of this hard cutting stuff WITH the help of the 45 to get to the point that I got bored and started exploring doing things "the old fashioned" way. And I got to the point where I could, but it would be exhausting to HAVE to do it that way every time.

Hope this info can give you some insight.
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #12
jjinnz

just back from practice and wow .. the stiff sole of the bonts make the flimsy probe plates skate like a stiff metal plate .. either way 10 or 45deg plate the bonts will blow you away .. they are that good !
jjinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Fox-Z

Thank you all so much for your feedback. And particular thanks to rufusprime99, that is a really great breakdown and explanation of some points that I was really struggling with. Thank you so much!!!
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Yep, Bonts really are that good.
FoxZ, it would probably help to know what sort of budget you are working with?
And if it helps, contacting Doc or dvw on here is a good idea if you are having a hard time finding what you want in NZ.
And yes, we were just being smart arses with the Beadle stuff, not really something you need to look into!
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Rattybabe
Baby Zebra

I've been on Avenger plates since I started skating again this year. I recently tried someone else's 10 degree plates and they felt like bricks on my feet. I will never be an amazing skater, and I can't see me ever moving from a 45 degree plate.

And yes - Bont's are amazing boots!
Rattybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #16
ZephyrMark2
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Hi all,
I have FINALLY made the decision, after a year and a half of skating, to upgrade my R3s. I have decided to get bonts, after trying some quad hybrids and really liking them. I live in NZ so it's not overly easy for me to get gear, and so I want to make sure I get it right.

Anyone here had any experience skating derby with the bont plates? Or have any general plate recommendations that don't move me into unaffordable-price-range?
Hi Fox-Z..

I'm also from NZ, and run a business called 'Flat Track Derby Limited'. We've just become bont dealers (as well as being Sure Grip, Riedell and Antik stockists), so if your keen on a bont plate, i can order these in, or if there's something else you'd like, it wouldn't be a problem.

Our website is www.flattrackderby.co.nz if you want to have a look, and you're in the right place for advice, these guys and girls know their stuff!
ZephyrMark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #17
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your feedback. And particular thanks to rufusprime99, that is a really great breakdown and explanation of some points that I was really struggling with. Thank you so much!!!
You are welcome. Happy skate shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinnz View Post
just back from practice and wow .. the stiff sole of the bonts make the flimsy probe plates skate like a stiff metal plate .. either way 10 or 45deg plate the bonts will blow you away .. they are that good !
Sweet! I get the BIGGEST KICK out of the fact that a Bont can make a nylon plate better than it is. Makes a Bont and a nylon probe pretty equal to a 595 and a Reactor. Gives me the giggles.
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #18
Skate Assets

Hey Foxy, you chose the right place to come for advice

I'm on a Bont hybrid on a mg Avenger plate and I adore it. The Avenger is amazing for the price and is incredibly light and responsive. Teamed with the light Bont boot, it's almost like not wearing boots at all. The action on the Avenger allows you to turn really quickly and easily without having to try overly hard and you can tweak it to as much or as little action as you want. I personally hate the 10 degree plates now and find them really hard work to skate on. In our tiny little league, we already have 5 people either already on Avengers, or waiting for one's that they've ordered.

Do any of the other Swampies have an Invader or Avenger plate that you can have a go on? I know a lot of the Richter girls have been moving onto mg Avengers.

Good luck with your decision

http://www.facebook.com/RimutakaRollerDerby
Skate Assets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #19
Kheng

I recently got a bontavenger setup and im loving it! Takes abit of getting used to, coming from the crazy venus plate (mainly crossovers, felt a little weird) but it didnt take too long to adjust!
Kheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #20
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Actually, can't let this slip by, it's easier to learn on 5-10 degree plates, more stable, less turning action, it's much easier to slide up on the two side wheels of each skate and play around,45's require better balance and more skill.
Yes, going to a Nylon or plastic plate will save weight but keep an open mind, after getting comfortable on a bont with a nylon plate try an alloy plate, better balance, better energy transfer, less fatigue for the skater.
Ideally you would buy a plate that offered both D/A5-10 and D/A45, if you had a set of each and the boots were drilled and both plates fit the same holes you could learn exactly how different the two actions are.jmho,ymmv
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bonts