S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #1
rickieprice

Default Flip axles

im looking for some flip axles. anyone know where you can get them ?
rickieprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #2
cass38a

Yes
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #3
cass38a

What trucks do you need them for and where are you. It makes a difference.

FYI they don't come in 8mm.
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #4
malajusted
old but still good

Default ....?

8mm yet
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #5
rickieprice

right now i have a PowerDyne Reactor but if needed ill buy a new plate. i just want flip axles. where can i get them ?
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickieprice View Post
right now i have a PowerDyne Reactor but if needed ill buy a new plate. i just want flip axles. where can i get them ?
Yer a lucky guy.. find ya some old Pro Line trucks and I'll convert 'em for ya.. Or better yet, rob a bank and buy some OG Pro Line flip trucks.. either way they will drop right on..

Or better yet rob 2 or 3 banks and get in line to have Wes build ya some of his wonder trucks.

I won't even suggest you look for the Boen trucks.. There are not any..

Of course you realize flip axles are a pain in the butt if you run real quad wheels with ALL metal hubs.. .

BUT no flip axle will work in the Reactor trucks. They are 8mm and all flips I know of are 7 at the moment..

Now, as far as buying the axles.. Sure Grip still makes them. Any dealer worth the name will be able to order them for ya..
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #7
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

I won't even suggest you look for the Boen trucks.. There are not any..

Well, not exactly true. Wes could be a possibility when he is in production mode

Of course you realize flip axles are a pain in the butt if you run real quad wheels with ALL metal hubs.. .

How so?
Never had a problem with clip/flips with any wheels, plastic or metal hub.
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #8
rickieprice

any of you know where i can find the trucks convert ? no clue were to look.
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #9
rickieprice

and about the sure grip axles. how do thy just sell the axles ? are all axles interchangable ? like could i take a suregrip axle and put it into my powerdyne truck or what kind of truck would be needed to putt that into ?

thnks !
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #10
Finn 427

Default They..

Are around. you just need to look in the right places. Right now i have to bottle feed all the hens out the back after i took all their teeth
I am just pointing out that they are out there and before anyone asks, i have a couple of sets already spoken for. Sorry
And how do you mean Doc about the metal hub thing? I dont get how it would make a difference. Please enlighten me?
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #11
rickieprice

i wish i could get a set of them off of you! those look NICE!
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #12
scubask8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickieprice View Post
i wish i could get a set of them off of you! those look NICE!
Hope ya got a fat cheque book.
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #13
Poobah

I should imagine the problem with putting them on a Riedell plate is that Riedell aims their plates at session skaters mostly. Instead of offering loads of options they aim more for a "please the most amount of people and the rest will buy 'em too" approach. All plates are double action, with a 7 to 10 action, toe stop mounts, and made from nylon or aluminum. Folks who want wider options tend to buy Snyder, Sure-Grip, Roll-Line, etc.

This means they don't make ANYTHING with a 7mm axle. So their bearings are all 8mm, their axles are 8mm, one size fits all! Just like "everybody" needs toe stop mounts on their plates...

Presently clip/flip axles are only available on 7mm axles.

While it's possible to get an axle out of a truck and get another on in there with press (don't ask me how), your new 7mm axles would be thinner than the truck assembly you're putting them into. So there'd be no "grab," I guess?

Suggestion that doesn't involve power tools and kludging: Pick a Sure-Grip plate that suits you, ask the dealer to get 'em with 7mm flip axles. Usually that's about $40 extra or so. Oh yeah, you'll need to get 7mm bearings as well. Unless you get a bearing sleeve, but I dunno how well those work (one eBayer sells 'em for $10 a set). Buy some 7mm washers and 7mm (internal diameter) E clips.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #14
cass38a

Axel sleeves and cilp axles are a no no.
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #15
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Maybe you don't call it a problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
Never had a problem with clip/flips with any wheels, plastic or metal hub.

I call it a pain in the back side. I like my bearing end play to be minimal....Say 0.25mm max?? That means getting the shims right. Since there is variability from wheel set to wheel set and hub to hub within sets, not to mention the inability of manufacturers to standardize the dimension between the bearings, it means I cannot just swap them willy nilly and expect my end play to stay where I want it.. After all, if ya can't toggle the dog, you can't sk8 the wheel in that position, now can ya?? On top of that, I don't like my wheels moving side to side on the axle.. I can feel it and it annoys me..

I have wheels that cannot be swapped corner to corner on any given sk8 without having to re-shim..

Perhaps you don't mind running enough slop in your end play to let you swap whatever, wherever and whenever.. If so, it is your call..

So..... I say there are problems to be encountered with flips and bearing spacing.. It's the same issue that makes spacers between the bearings a non player.. It's also why I have several drawers full of shims.. So I can keep my end play where I like it..

Now, all that said about 1/2 of my sk8s have flips and the number increases all the time.. At some point they probably will all have them.. I find them convenient for bearing cleaning and changing, but not so much so for rapid wheel changes.. YMMV.

Haven't we had this discussion before??
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #16
cass38a

We all know the difference of opinion on wheel slop between skaters and each to thier own on this.

I am with Colin in wondering what is the difference between plastic and metal hubs?
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #17
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Cool You sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn 427 View Post
Are around. you just need to look in the right places.
Are a right bloody show off.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #18
Finn 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Are a right bloody show off.
More of a supplier to the needy mate I come across stuff that I know someone is lookin for and buy it up as sometimes it's hard to get in contact with people in a short window of opportunity, and I don't like mates to miss out on stuff
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #19
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

I call it a pain in the back side. I like my bearing end play to be minimal....Say 0.25mm max?? That means getting the shims right. Since there is variability from wheel set to wheel set and hub to hub within sets, not to mention the inability of manufacturers to standardize the dimension between the bearings, it means I cannot just swap them willy nilly and expect my end play to stay where I want it.. After all, if ya can't toggle the dog, you can't sk8 the wheel in that position, now can ya?? On top of that, I don't like my wheels moving side to side on the axle.. I can feel it and it annoys me..

I have wheels that cannot be swapped corner to corner on any given sk8 without having to re-shim..

Perhaps you don't mind running enough slop in your end play to let you swap whatever, wherever and whenever.. If so, it is your call..

So..... I say there are problems to be encountered with flips and bearing spacing.. It's the same issue that makes spacers between the bearings a non player.. It's also why I have several drawers full of shims.. So I can keep my end play where I like it..

Now, all that said about 1/2 of my sk8s have flips and the number increases all the time.. At some point they probably will all have them.. I find them convenient for bearing cleaning and changing, but not so much so for rapid wheel changes.. YMMV.

Haven't we had this discussion before??
Yes we have, and the conclusion was to use shim washers between the bearings and the hubs to establish a single size of bearing spacing for all of your wheel sets, that matches the set with the widest spacing.

If there is variation within a set, use the same shims to equalize them all as you match the spacing of your widest set.

Once all youe wheel sets have consistent and matching bearing spacing, then use smaller shim washers between the truck ends and the inner wheel bearing to fill the remaining gap and eliminate end play.
Use an e-clip or a grip fit nylon washer as the last one on against the wheel to hold the shims from falling off during wheel changes.

Life is good with flips once you have completed all these steps.

-Armadillo
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #20
scubask8tr

I like the idea of shimming them all the same internally. My son and I both roll Boens, so no probs there. The missus is on Avengers with S/G flips, totally different. Still no prob, she only rolls Italicanns.
Who can get me some Ali internal washers?
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
395, flip axle, riedell