S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Digz

Smile Need a little advice

Hey Guys,
I was on here a while ago asking for help on which skate to get, I'm very indecisive, I'm stuck between the choices of the Sure grip Rebel Invaders, or the Supreme Turbo 33's
i don't know what to go for, i will be skating predominately outdoors, a little bit of rink, and i know the invaders are made for derby, i wont be doing that.. lol.
i don't think i will be going in-lines, i like my maneuverability too much :P
also need a little advice on what wheels to get for outdoors, usually wet. great british weather
will Roll Line Heliums work well? thanks for any advice
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Guns840
P.T.H.D

What exactly is the supreme turbo 33...hockey boot?...if I'm looking at the right skate I would say the rebel invader will give you more options in your skating. With a simple cushion change you can go from indoor to outdoor from speed to derby from hard to soft. They are very tunable with the current upgrades from sure grip
Guns840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Fresh Eddie Fresh

If you like maneuverability, the Invaders might be right up your alley... SG also makes a less expensive version with a Probe plate, if you were looking for a compromise between the two (I have never seen the Supreme Turbo, but it looks to have a plastic plate, which the Probe is made out of) with a similar kingpin angle. For outdoors I never need my plates to turn as mich, since the bike path is a straight line, but you can tune the Invaders anywhere from super turny to super stiff and straight, and pretty much everything in-between.

For outside on pavement (like sidewalks with cracks and debris and whatnot) softer wheels do really well... maybe 78a-82a would be a good place to start, and bigger wheels can roll over bigger stuff! (65mm-70mm or so.)

As far as bearings go, if you are riding in wet conditions, try sealed greased bearings. They will repel water better than most... if they get wet, they will seize up after they dry out (I got caught in the rain with some Bones Reds and they were fuzzy orange blobs by daybreak! It was my fault, and they were fun while they lasted. )

Hope that helps!
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Digz

heya, yeah the supreme turbo's are the "clone" of the Bauer turbo, http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/acatalo...-complete.html for reference, well i do like the invader, I've just never tried skates like them, every pair I've used has always been hockey, I'm never afraid to break the mould, just a little worried i wont get on with them
but i like how the invaders are so much more customisable and better built by the sounds of it, i think I'm gonna stick with them.
im getting them for my xmas, will post pics when i do

http://www.skates.com/Helium-Jam-Yel...p/struhely.htm
the roll line heliums, they are 64mm 83a, so they sorta in the middle of the range right? i dont know what else to look at :P any suggestions, i would like a set of wheels for indoor only, and one set for outdoor only. the invaders come with pretty decent indoor wheels apparently, so im just worried about finding a decent lot for outdoor use

...cancel that, i just found this thread on here saying that rebound wheels are the best? and these guys are the best at that at the moment? i think... lol, it also mentions a few people in hyde park and london skates use these, im not saying im a sheep, but thats gotta mean something right?... i think I've finalised
lol, thanks for all your advice people finally i have a goal

Last edited by Digz; November 16th, 2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Wheels
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #5
HK47
Roll Player

Rebel Invaders will blow any hard shell skate out of the water for anything other than roller dance (and even then, there's other choices available). I do use my Rebels for Derby, but also completed Goodwood Roller Marathon in them, no problem
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Digz

ah cool ty, yeah i do like them, just have to wait for santa now i suppose

Just a side note, I'm gonna be getting separate a set of wheels and bearings for indoor use only. i want to be able to roll quite far because the indoor time will mostly be with family and friends, so more of a chill session than working hard. So i need decent bearings right? The wheels ill be using indoors are the ones that come with the invader, SureGrip Fugitives, the bearings are Qube Juice, will they be decent for rolling easily or do they have a resistance? (I'm Still Learning ) I'll buy some sealed greased ones for outdoor like mentioned above, that way its not so much of a biggie when they get owned by the weather :P
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #7
quantoo

Default check the bearing thread

should be on the current quad skating page
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #8
HK47
Roll Player

Qube Juice bearings are nice, you'll be fine on them

Depending on where you need/want to roll outdoors you'll need to buy wheels to suit. I've nabbed my boyfriend's Cruise 62mms for tarting / dance outdoors, Krypto 'True' 65mm are nice for rough-ish surfaces and getting some distance under your feet (and they can be found CHEAP!), for getting serious distance on surfaces that might be rough you probably want to look at 70mm Zombie Hawgs or Lazer Blaze wheels (the latter of which I'm eyeing up for Goodwood next year )
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Digz

ok maybe its just me, but the zombie hawgs, i can only find in 76mm. lol, and the lazer blaze's i cant find, period >.< lol
will the roll line heliums not be that good for outdoor use then?
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #10
hovercarl

Wait for the new "S" boots from sure grip and the Avenger. They have a package that is a little more than the Rebel Invader, but it will be lighter.
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #11
hovercarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz View Post
ok maybe its just me, but the zombie hawgs, i can only find in 76mm. lol, and the lazer blaze's i cant find, period >.< lol
I have 2 sets of the Lazer Blaze VI wheels for sale. One green (new) and one purple (lightly used). Pm me if you want more info.
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #12
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
They do do the Hawgz in 70mm I'm sure ... 76 would be a bit much! Lazer stuff isn't horribly expensive but they don't have a UK distributor so you have to order direct from India (!) Linky link

The replacement for the Rebel Invader is gonna be the Rebel Avenger, slightly lighter but same boot and same handling - I suspect there will be a slight price hike.

Roll Line Heliums are excellent on smoooooth outdoor surfaces, for going along good old British streets? Notsomuch They're only 62mm diameter, which doesn't roll over grit and twigs etc too well, and they have a big hub so don't absorb much vibration - which is a killer after a couple of miles.

If you're unsure of what you really want, grab some 'True' wheels for 16 (Linky link), they're 65mm and squishy so work well for general use, then you can decide if you want bigger, smaller, harder or softer
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Digz

thanks for all your advice HK, you been really good to me
i saw the hyper rollo wheels, same specs as the true wheels but they're 40, rather than 16, any reason other than the brand?
and will 5mm make a difference? like from 65mm to 70mm? will it be noticed?
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
i saw the hyper rollo wheels, same specs as the true wheels but they're 40, rather than 16, any reason other than the brand?
The Hyper Rollo has a nylon core in there to make sure the bearings run true and to add a bit of rigidity overall, those "True" wheels look very much like clones of the old Variflex wheels which I got with my Bauer Turbo's way back in 1986! - they needed a spacer between the bearings to improve the roll to anything like useable levels as they're the same urethane all the way through.

So, no... not "the same specs", possibly the same duro of urethane but that isn't the end of the story by any means (plenty of threads on these boards discussing this topic).

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #15
HK47
Roll Player

True wheels have a nylon core and don't need spacers. I know this because I have a set

True wheels usually retail for the same kinda price, but the UK got a flood of 99.9% perfect seconds which has driven the price down (at least, thats what I heard, lol)

Quote:
No problemo, there's gaps in skate knowledge in much of the UK, and a little local knowledge can save a lot of money
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #16
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
True wheels have a nylon core and don't need spacers. I know this because I have a set

True wheels usually retail for the same kinda price, but the UK got a flood of 99.9% perfect seconds which has driven the price down (at least, thats what I heard, lol)

No problemo, there's gaps in skate knowledge in much of the UK, and a little local knowledge can save a lot of money
I stand corrected there

I was just going off the pic on the posted link, they look like solid urethane, guess you learn something new every day.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #17
HK47
Roll Player

Oh, they are solid, but with a nylon hub - just the thing for casual street skating
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #18
Digz

ok, so i'm reading this right that there's no real difference except the brand name? :P
lol, and as for the lazer blaze, they are 70mm, the true wheels are 65mm. will this be noticeable? :P
thanks guys
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #19
HK47
Roll Player

The larger the wheels the better they roll over debris and absorb impact, but they're also heavier. 65mm is bigger than the normal 62mm of indoor wheels, but not huge - if you're unsure what you need, the True wheels are a great starting point, and they're cheap. If they don't perform how you want, at least you'll be able to tell whats needed for a fancier set of wheels and you can sell them on
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #20
Digz

kewl, sorted. thanks :P looks like ill get the true wheels and go from there. for beaings im thinking these coz they cheap?

http://www.rawk.com/p2310/nmb-bearings-pack-of-16/

what u thnnk? i know u said sealed and greased, but like i said, new :P still dont know how to tell if thats them or not :P

Tags
advice, invader, invaders, quad