S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #21
Poobah

Wild Bill is the name someone was looking for up above.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:40 AM   #22
Weirdy

Just thought I'd let everyone know I decided to go with the Mini PDs. I just got them this week and I love em! Very comfy, and they don't move around as much as my old vert-style pads did. Thank you all for your inputs!
Weirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #23
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
Yes, they are out of Houston. I have the mini's and even with prior knee surgery, have had no problems at all. I do wear a gasket under them though. I don't know if the gasket adds that much extra protection. I think it's just in my mind that I need it. The mini's have the perfect amount of cushion and protection for me. I don't have any problems with cross-overs or anything else, because they're not as bulky as others. I haven't tried the Scabs, but a teammate has them and we're planning to swap for a few practices because she wants to try my PD's.
I don't think it's in your head. Gaskets keep your knee ligaments from torquing and pulling which is a lot of times what causes the injury as you fall. That gasket is keeping everything compressed and stable. Derby girl and Olympic skater, Sarina Hayden, wears gaskets. She's been skating her whole life, so it might be safe to say it does something positive for her and probably for you too

I wish I could get the cushioning of a mini PD pad with the more ergonomic straps and honeycomb lining of the Destroyer pad
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #24
Dark Side

After reading this thread I bought a set of Pro-Designed pads for derby. I'm in my 40s and close to 200 pounds and six feet tall. I had landed really hard on my elbow with my 187s and got the hugest, nastiest bruise and decided i wanted thicker padding.

My pro-designed elbow pads are awesome. Unfortuntely i'm sidelined with an inflamed knee bc my PD knee pads slipped down on a fall and exposed my knee to a hard impact . I'm assuming it's bc they're too big. They move around easily.

I'm wondering how other people's Pro-Designed fit your knees. My 187s were nice and snug and i never had problems with them, but i decided to switch over for the thicker padding. I'm also unhappy with the cinching system on the knee pads. My 187s had both velcro and a buckle system to tighten them down. My PDs just have simple velcro and the spandex backing (hot too).

Anyway, I'm hoping they can be refitted. Was wondering if other people had problems with slipping.
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM   #25
Bash Gordon
G*Force Roller Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
After reading this thread I bought a set of Pro-Designed pads for derby. I'm in my 40s and close to 200 pounds and six feet tall. I had landed really hard on my elbow with my 187s and got the hugest, nastiest bruise and decided i wanted thicker padding.

My pro-designed elbow pads are awesome. Unfortuntely i'm sidelined with an inflamed knee bc my PD knee pads slipped down on a fall and exposed my knee to a hard impact . I'm assuming it's bc they're too big. They move around easily.

I'm wondering how other people's Pro-Designed fit your knees. My 187s were nice and snug and i never had problems with them, but i decided to switch over for the thicker padding. I'm also unhappy with the cinching system on the knee pads. My 187s had both velcro and a buckle system to tighten them down. My PDs just have simple velcro and the spandex backing (hot too).

Anyway, I'm hoping they can be refitted. Was wondering if other people had problems with slipping.
Mine slip too, so I wear my knee brace and/or gasket underneath them to keep them in place. I figure the extra protection won't hurt either.

I suggest you give Bill a call. He should be more than happy to re-fit them for ya. I probably should do that myself, but I don't currently have another set to use in the interim. Hope you figure it out.
OhCeeDee #14
G*Force Roller Derby Club
Pads in a Funk? Get some Funk Blockers! www.facebook.com/funkblockers
Bash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM   #26
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Wow, same prob. Went from 187's to these PD's.

Wish I still had my 187's.....
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM   #27
TLicalzi
CIOTRE

I have a full set of Pro Designed customs. I love them but I have to say, I am having trouble with the clasping buckles that hold the elastic wrap. They won't stay in adjustment anymore. I'm thinking about having them stitched into place so that I can wrap the velcro around from a fixed position.

I was actually coming to this forum for a recommendation for another set of pads that won't slip on my while i'm training.

Oh, and I have broke the wrist guard plastic spoon on mine twice and PD repaired it, free of charge both times.
Tony Licalzi (CIOTRE) - #30
Battlefield Roller Derby - www.BattlefieldRollerDerby.com
TLicalzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:32 PM   #28
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Wow, same prob. Went from 187's to these PD's.

Wish I still had my 187's.....
I use 187 knee pads with TSG gaskets, and PD everything else.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM   #29
TLicalzi
CIOTRE

I ordered a full set of 187 Pros from X Sport Protective. Are gaskets necessary?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #30
princessfluffhead

I have ProDesigned knee pads as well. I wear gaskets and one of the benefits of the gasket is the knee pad velcroes to them so that no tape is necessary to prevent slippage.
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM   #31
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLicalzi View Post
I ordered a full set of 187 Pros from X Sport Protective. Are gaskets necessary?
I started using them after a knee injury, but the pads will work fine without them as well... PrincessFluffhead is correct, they do help prevent your pads from slipping. I use them more for support than for additional padding (the Gladiators have a big gel thing if you need more cushioning up front.)
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:01 AM   #32
Shuvee

Quote:
Gaskets are in no way necessary, and yes as they do prevent knee pads from slipping. But more importantly they provide additional support, shock absorption and protection against injury. And they are also a lot easier to wash than the knee pads.

Quite simply: I always tell the new skaters that no, knee gaskets are not necessary but if you care about your knees and want to do roller derby long-term you should invest in them.
Shuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:50 AM   #33
TLicalzi
CIOTRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuvee View Post
Quite simply: I always tell the new skaters that no, knee gaskets are not necessary but if you care about your knees and want to do roller derby long-term you should invest in them.
Which ones would you recommend?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM   #34
Jennuine Pain

Quote:
My vote is for the Gladiators... several girls on my team got others that fell apart quickly, but I've been wearing the gladiators for at least a year with just a little bit of fraying on the edges now. I added them for extra protection, and to help keep my knee pads up when I started losing weight!
Jennuine Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #35
Hot Lips

I have been unhappy with TSGs durability; I get about a year out of a set of Gladiators, although I don't feel the support is as good.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:34 PM   #36
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Maybe I have funny knees, but my Gladiators gave up pretty fast (the edges frayed.) My TSGs have seams on the edges and are still going strong. I do think the Gladiators offer less stability,. but more padding. I needed more stability and less padding, so the TSGs worked out perfect for me.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:52 PM   #37
Hot Lips

Those hems on the TSGs are the only bit that hold together for me ... I found they split at the velcro super fast and the metal side stays pulled out. You're right about the Gladiators fraying at the edges. I should post a pic of how bad mine are right now, after a season ... I looked at them when I was in Oz and just thought 'Holy crap, these could have been replaced three months ago'. They're demolished. I bought 'em at Rollercon last year, so 12 months of use.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #38
Shuvee

Quote:
I know 187 does make knee gaskets, but I have not tried them myself. Same goes for Triple 8 and TSG.

Most of the girls on my team skate and Gladiators and like them quite a bit, though most of them do get raggedy after a while.

Myself, I have skated in Smith Scabs for over a year and have been very happy with them. And they have held up very well in terms of abuse and washings.
Shuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #39
NZBuzz

Default snowboard pads??

has anyone tried snowboard or volleyball kneepads under their knee pads rather than gaskets?? We are having trouble getting them in NZ and it would be a much cheaper option for us.
NZBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #40
Fresh Eddie Fresh

As an FYI, Gladiators were designed by Smith... I am not sure if they separated, though, because now they make Smith branded gaskets.

Tags
knee pads, mini pd, pro-designed, reviews