S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Weirdy

Question Pro-Designed Knee Pads

Hi derby girls and guys I've been thinking of saving for some Pro-Designed knee pads but haven't heard a -whole- lot about them. It seems like the Mini PDs are the most popular in derby (they're all I ever see anyway.) Any reviews out there?
Weirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Peaches

I got them right after I assessed last year, def recommend the mini pd's if you get them. The others are pretty bulky and I've heard especially from jammers they get in your way with crossovers.

They lasted me about 2-3 months without having to tape them then month 3 or 4 my knee pad slipped as I fell and I still have some issues with that knee to this day. It put me out of commission derby wise for about a month and I should not have gone back that fast..probably.

I bought flyaway pads I think they are called this year, one of the least expensive ones out there. 4 months in I still love them. I tape them at the top. But that is because I super worry ever since my knee injury.

Personally I recommend if you can go to a shop and try on gear, go a size smaller than you would first think, because that way there is less slippage and buy what feels good. It takes a little trial and error.

Then again just my two cents...other girls swear by them.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:49 AM   #3
Weirdy

@ Peaches: Did you get the custom or the stock size?
Weirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:56 AM   #4
Peaches

Custom
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #5
BarbieBONT
email: debbie@bont.com

I LOVE my Pro-Designed pads.... I use elbow pads for my knee pads (I'm a jammer and don't like the big, bulky knee pads).. they are really soft and comfy, and look pretty cute too
BarbieBONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:51 PM   #6
LindseyLoBlow

I'm interested in hearing how well they protect your knees from high impact falls. Switching from Triple 8's to 187's made a huge difference for me because my knees could be bruised in Triple 8's if I fell hard enough but this has never happened with my 187's.
LindseyLoBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:35 AM   #7
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Default Pro designed vs Destroyer

Since knees seem to be one of the biggest concerns, I have been clocking hours of research on knee injuries involving patella, cartilage, ACL and PCL tears as well as research on body armor for hockey and moto-cross racing.

I have also asked other derby girls many reflective questions as to what they are looking for in a pad. The key points that were most commonly important to skaters in a pad were:

1) Comfortable, better fitting, more padding or light armor on the sides, more ergonomic design, less bulky, protects well and does not slide down but allows for more mobility and agility.

2) Lighter better protective cushy padding. My thought would be to add sleeves w/gel donuts around the patella.

3) Product should look aesthetically pleasing and have custom color options.

4) With Prodesigned pads ranging from $90-$150 for pads, derby girls are looking for something more cost friendly which is why many are going with the Scabs.

I really like the look and design of these Destroyers..and Derby Smack has them for $55! can't beat that. Has anyone tried these pads? They look perfect.
http://www.derbysmack.com/destroyer-...knee-pads.html

Here is Destroyer's site. I love that knee/elbow/wrist pads come in custom team colors and the caps can be a different color as the pad.

http://destroyerequipment.com/products/PS%252dK1.html

Destroyer Professional Pad Technichal Diagram

http://www.destroyerequipment.com/pa...FESSIONAL.html

These look like the most economic and awesome pad in production. Thoughts? Pad reviews from those who have them? How do they hold to up to hard impacts to concrete?
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:42 AM   #8
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Pro Designed are the best hands down.
I turn 44 next month, have never broken a wrist elbow or knee and I can still skate parks and vert........I have NO doubt in my mind that I owe this to the money I spent on my PD pads 4 years ago. (about the time I started skating hard again.)
There are decent pads out there but when it comes to my being able to walk or use my wrists....I go for the best.
How much is not get hurt worth to you?
They're worth EVERY penny
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyLoBlow View Post
I'm interested in hearing how well they protect your knees from high impact falls. Switching from Triple 8's to 187's made a huge difference for me because my knees could be bruised in Triple 8's if I fell hard enough but this has never happened with my 187's.
The vert wall section of my park is 14 feet high and concrete.....I have fallen straight to bottom w/o sliding. landing right on my knees with zero bruising. (though the rest of my body didn't really like the shock) High impact enough?
(FYI I weigh 230#)
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:58 AM   #10
LindseyLoBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
The vert wall section of my park is 14 feet high and concrete.....I have fallen straight to bottom w/o sliding. landing right on my knees with zero bruising. (though the rest of my body didn't really like the shock) High impact enough?
(FYI I weigh 230#)
Haha, awesome. Good info, thanks
LindseyLoBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Ida Slapter

great pads, but unless you are recovering from a knee injury -- go with a smaller pad from him (the mini etc.) he might try to talk you out of that. don't freak if he talks too much on the phone or talks to you about your weight. He is just trying to get you the best pad. I could be wrong, but he used to give a derby discount. Not sure if he still does that now that derby is so much bigger and there are so many more skaters.
Now what he really makes that is the very best thing is the wrist guards.
If you want to go super crazy -- the best of the best for knee pads are the pain cheaters and they are very spendy.

http://www.paincheaters.com/
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM   #12
Fiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletBuckle View Post
Since knees seem to be one of the biggest concerns, I have been clocking hours of research on knee injuries involving patella, cartilage, ACL and PCL tears as well as research on body armor for hockey and moto-cross racing.

I have also asked other derby girls many reflective questions as to what they are looking for in a pad. The key points that were most commonly important to skaters in a pad were:

1) Comfortable, better fitting, more padding or light armor on the sides, more ergonomic design, less bulky, protects well and does not slide down but allows for more mobility and agility.

2) Lighter better protective cushy padding. My thought would be to add sleeves w/gel donuts around the patella.

3) Product should look aesthetically pleasing and have custom color options.

4) With Prodesigned pads ranging from $90-$150 for pads, derby girls are looking for something more cost friendly which is why many are going with the Scabs.

I really like the look and design of these Destroyers..and Derby Smack has them for $55! can't beat that. Has anyone tried these pads? They look perfect.
http://www.derbysmack.com/destroyer-...knee-pads.html

Here is Destroyer's site. I love that knee/elbow/wrist pads come in custom team colors and the caps can be a different color as the pad.

http://destroyerequipment.com/products/PS%252dK1.html

Destroyer Professional Pad Technichal Diagram

http://www.destroyerequipment.com/pa...FESSIONAL.html

These look like the most economic and awesome pad in production. Thoughts? Pad reviews from those who have them? How do they hold to up to hard impacts to concrete?

I have a previously broken patella and I have the Destroyer Amateur Pad. The guy at the skate shop told me the only difference between the Amateur and the Pro was the honeycomb lining, but I don't know how true that is (he only had the Amateur in stock and it's really not hard to sell me something that's a pretty color. I have a problem).

I skate mostly on an outdoor concrete rink & I think they are super comfy, and don't slide around on me at all. I do wear gaskets under them too though. I'm currently not doing any hitting/contact drills, but with knee slides and general tripping over myself and falling they are quite cushy, but without being bulky.

One thing though (and if you're mainly skating on concrete it probably won't be an issue) is that the knee cap is textured. On concrete it wears smooth pretty fast, but indoors I imagine it might be a bit sticky.
Fiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:40 PM   #13
BarbieBONT
email: debbie@bont.com

Comparing the PD to 187's... derby falls to the knees (even using the small elbow pads for knee pads) feels ever so cushy with rebound.. they stay in place...and they protect like no other. I'm able to bounce right back up. I skated the ESPN XGames downhill racing in the late 90's with speeds up to 60mpg, and I felt extremely confident wearing the ProDesigned pads - they are well worth the price.
BarbieBONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:20 PM   #14
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Not trying to hijack anyone's post, but this is a great conversation!
So glad others have some pad experience. My Tripple 8s were not designed for what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Slapter View Post
great pads, but unless you are recovering from a knee injury -- go with a smaller pad from him (the mini etc.) he might try to talk you out of that. don't freak if he talks too much on the phone or talks to you about your weight. He is just trying to get you the best pad. I could be wrong, but he used to give a derby discount. Not sure if he still does that now that derby is so much bigger and there are so many more skaters.
Now what he really makes that is the very best thing is the wrist guards.
If you want to go super crazy -- the best of the best for knee pads are the pain cheaters and they are very spendy.

http://www.paincheaters.com/
Ha ha. I have spoken with that guy..can't remember his name off hand. Steve from TX? Very nice and talkative fellow with a penchant for derby girls. I am 180 and he tried to talk me into the larger capped model. I tried to explain to him that I have large muscular thighs but my knees are actually very pointy.
Large caps would not only get in the way of cross overs when jamming and limit mobility, but typically my Large pads never stabilize my tendons and patella from moving around as the inside knee cap area is always too large and leaves a lot of room for tendons to twist and patella to shift upon impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiore View Post
I have a previously broken patella and I have the Destroyer Amateur Pad. The guy at the skate shop told me the only difference between the Amateur and the Pro was the honeycomb lining, but I don't know how true that is (he only had the Amateur in stock and it's really not hard to sell me something that's a pretty color. I have a problem).

I skate mostly on an outdoor concrete rink & I think they are super comfy, and don't slide around on me at all. I do wear gaskets under them too though. I'm currently not doing any hitting/contact drills, but with knee slides and general tripping over myself and falling they are quite cushy, but without being bulky.

One thing though (and if you're mainly skating on concrete it probably won't be an issue) is that the knee cap is textured. On concrete it wears smooth pretty fast, but indoors I imagine it might be a bit sticky.
Yep. I have a slightly torn ACL and some torn cartilage in my right knee. Not to mention many other injuries from playing outdoor roller hockey and soccer as a teenager. At this point I know injury for my sport is inevitable, and hoping like the poster and many others to find the best preventative medicine.

I am looking at the pro Destroyer pad but it is awesome to know the amateur one holds up to concrete pretty well.
The honeycomb layer within the pad seems like exactly the kind of protection technology that would better protect derby skaters who are dealing with centrifugal force on a track which causes pulling and torquing of the tendons when falling at high speeds around a corner. Knees experiencing G-forces when falling can move around and snap tendons if the pad does not fit correctly to the body and there is not ample cushion and shock absorption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieBONT View Post
Comparing the PD to 187's... derby falls to the knees (even using the small elbow pads for knee pads) feels ever so cushy with rebound.. they stay in place...and they protect like no other. I'm able to bounce right back up. I skated the ESPN XGames downhill racing in the late 90's with speeds up to 60mpg, and I felt extremely confident wearing the ProDesigned pads - they are well worth the price.
I heard great things about the PD pads. BloodyElle says they are like falling on marshmallows
I thought that was adorable
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #15
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletBuckle View Post
I heard great things about the PD pads. BloodyElle says they are like falling on marshmallows
I thought that was adorable
ROFL That is indeed.
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #16
kimmie

ROFL here too! I have the PD's and I agree! I have had prior knee surgery and these are the most cushy, protective pads I've tried.
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #17
Oblivionrising

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
ROFL here too! I have the PD's and I agree! I have had prior knee surgery and these are the most cushy, protective pads I've tried.
Silly question, but we are talkingabout Pro Designed out of Houston right? I have those pads on my wish list after the were at Comicpalooza here.... excellent choice to have put on te bday wish list I see, thanks for the heads up!
Oblivionrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #18
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

I don't have PD knee pads (I've got Smith Scabs and they're pretty good, even after multiple knee surgeries and hardware in one knee) but I have nothing but love for the PD wrist guards. With carpal tunnel I gotta be careful (especially after they cut to fix it) and hands down the PD wrist guards are the best.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Bash Gordon
G*Force Roller Derby

I recently bought some Pro Designed Custom Knee Pads and WRist Guards. As far as falling on them goes, I used to skate on 187's and falling on the PD's is even better! I used to not be able to stand doing more than a few double knee falls before my knees were screaming but now they don't bother me at all. I am having issues with my right knee pads twisting/turning unless I go down *just* right. My legs are hella big and nothing fits right so I don't know- might just be me. I have the Supers tho.

The wrist guards are really sturdy- almost too sturdy for me. The first couple practices, my fingers were bruised since they come just to my knuckles. lol
OhCeeDee #14
G*Force Roller Derby Club
Pads in a Funk? Get some Funk Blockers! www.facebook.com/funkblockers
Bash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #20
kimmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivionrising View Post
Silly question, but we are talkingabout Pro Designed out of Houston right? I have those pads on my wish list after the were at Comicpalooza here.... excellent choice to have put on te bday wish list I see, thanks for the heads up!
Yes, they are out of Houston. I have the mini's and even with prior knee surgery, have had no problems at all. I do wear a gasket under them though. I don't know if the gasket adds that much extra protection. I think it's just in my mind that I need it. The mini's have the perfect amount of cushion and protection for me. I don't have any problems with cross-overs or anything else, because they're not as bulky as others. I haven't tried the Scabs, but a teammate has them and we're planning to swap for a few practices because she wants to try my PD's.
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee pads, mini pd, pro-designed, reviews