S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    


Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name


Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Josh_S
Neophyte
 
Josh_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 16
Thumbs up My Outdoor Quads - Thanks to Roger, Armadillo, Nellie, Colin, cass38a, Iggy & Paul

Last month I started a thread in which I asked for advice regarding parts for skates that I planned to use both outdoors and indoors. I received a lot of help, and now that I have my skates and have enjoyed them, I want to thank everyone who helped me.

First, here's a photo of my skates:



Thanks to Roger at Jam N Speed West for building skates for my girlfriend and I. He was very helpful, and the process went so smoothly that my girlfriend is already planning to have Roger replace her soccer shoes with a pair of Bonts.

Thanks to Armadillo for letting me know that wheels are the primary absorber of vibration, boots are a close second, and plates are a distant third. I ended up going with Kryptonics Route 70 wheels.

Thanks to Colin, Armadillo, cass38a, and Paul for recommending soccer shoes. I ended up using New Balance MB701M baseball shoes with molded cleats because they were much more comfortable than the soccer shoes I tried on. Roger said the baseball shoes were problematic to mount due to their thick cushioning, and it'll be interesting to see how long they remain firmly mounted. I plan to continue trying on soccer shoes so that I'll have a comfortable pair ready to be mounted when the baseball shoes need to be replaced.

Thanks to cass38a and Iggy for letting me know that t-stops won't wear down wheels as fast as I assumed they would. Thanks to Colin and Iggy for convincing me to use NTS plates, and thanks to cass38a for specifically recommending the Sure-Grip Cyclone NTS plates, which are the plates I ended up choosing. Thanks to Colin for convincing me to have the Cyclones reverse mounted so that the overhang of the plates is under the rear of the boots.

Thanks to Nellie, Colin, and cass38a for convincing me to go with Aussie mounts. And thanks to Colin and cass38a for sharing photos of their Aussie mounts to use as references. Very helpful!

Nellie took the time to find out that French quad skaters would recommend a 170mm wheelbase for my 11.5" shoe size. I later measured the distance between the base of my big toe and the center of my inner ankle bone to determine the exact length of the wheelbase I would need. The distance is between 160-170mm, so I decided to get size 4 Cyclone plates with DA45 trucks, which have 168mm wheelbases. 170mm was a great recommendation, Nellie!

Thanks to Armadillo for letting me know that 7mm axles are stronger than 8mm axles. And thanks to cass38a and Iggy for convincing me to get flip axles.

Below is another photo of my skates and three photos of my girlfriend's skates. She went with Nike soccer shoes and Sure-Grip Invader plates with DA45 trucks.

Thanks again, everyone!







Josh_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #2
cass38a
Senior Member
 
cass38a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,517
Default

I am not sure how long the boots will hold up either but you both have decent skates which will perform very well and last for years.

The clip axels will be your favorite part if you decide to skate indoors as well.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Josh_S
Neophyte
 
Josh_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
The clip axels will be your favorite part if you decide to skate indoors as well.
Yeah, I t-stop with my right skate more than my left, and I've already taken advantage of the flips by rotating my wheels so the wheels on the right skate don't wear down more quickly than the wheels on the left skate. Thanks for recommending them.
Josh_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #4
cass38a
Senior Member
 
cass38a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,517
Default

I hope your wife also got 7mm axels..................mixed bearing sizes in the one house is a recipe for disaster. As she will wish she got flips as well in a few weeks.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #5
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 5,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_S View Post
Last month I started a thread in which I asked for advice regarding parts for skates that I planned to use both outdoors and indoors. I received a lot of help, and now that I have my skates and have enjoyed them, I want to thank everyone who helped me.

First, here's a photo of my skates:



Thanks to Roger at Jam N Speed West for building skates for my girlfriend and I. He was very helpful, and the process went so smoothly that my girlfriend is already planning to have Roger replace her soccer shoes with a pair of Bonts.

Thanks to Armadillo for letting me know that wheels are the primary absorber of vibration, boots are a close second, and plates are a distant third. I ended up going with Kryptonics Route 70 wheels.

Thanks to Colin, Armadillo, cass38a, and Paul for recommending soccer shoes. I ended up using New Balance MB701M baseball shoes with molded cleats because they were much more comfortable than the soccer shoes I tried on. Roger said the baseball shoes were problematic to mount due to their thick cushioning, and it'll be interesting to see how long they remain firmly mounted. I plan to continue trying on soccer shoes so that I'll have a comfortable pair ready to be mounted when the baseball shoes need to be replaced.

Thanks to cass38a and Iggy for letting me know that t-stops won't wear down wheels as fast as I assumed they would. Thanks to Colin and Iggy for convincing me to use NTS plates, and thanks to cass38a for specifically recommending the Sure-Grip Cyclone NTS plates, which are the plates I ended up choosing. Thanks to Colin for convincing me to have the Cyclones reverse mounted so that the overhang of the plates is under the rear of the boots.

Thanks to Nellie, Colin, and cass38a for convincing me to go with Aussie mounts. And thanks to Colin and cass38a for sharing photos of their Aussie mounts to use as references. Very helpful!

Nellie took the time to find out that French quad skaters would recommend a 170mm wheelbase for my 11.5" shoe size. I later measured the distance between the base of my big toe and the center of my inner ankle bone to determine the exact length of the wheelbase I would need. The distance is between 160-170mm, so I decided to get size 4 Cyclone plates with DA45 trucks, which have 168mm wheelbases. 170mm was a great recommendation, Nellie!

Thanks to Armadillo for letting me know that 7mm axles are stronger than 8mm axles. And thanks to cass38a and Iggy for convincing me to get flip axles.

Below is another photo of my skates and three photos of my girlfriend's skates. She went with Nike soccer shoes and Sure-Grip Invader plates with DA45 trucks.

Thanks again, everyone!
Glad to help you in any way I can.

Hope you adapt to the aussie mount quickly, I would be on my ass far too often with that wheelbase, though the front axle looks well placed.

Too bad you girlfriend did not do the reversed mount too, as the heel stop works so much better outdoors and indoors the T-stop is easy on the wheels.

After you both rack up some skating time both indoors and outdoors, I suspect you will be headed toward two sets of dedicated skates - one for indoor and one for outdoor.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR

Last edited by Armadillo; May 28th, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,290
Default No worries

Thanks for the thanks.

Glad I could help. Go out and enjoy them.
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Nellie
Senior Member
 
Nellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
Thanks for the thanks.

Glad I could help. Go out and enjoy them.
Couldn't have phrased it any better , so same from me!!
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
outdoor, outdoors, quad, skate, skates

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.