S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 9th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #1
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Default Reviews/Info on OLD wheels... is there a thread?

Okay - I've searched a lot through the forums so I'm gonna suck it up and see if this thread exists yet.... has anyone done some kind of thread where people can post info/reviews (not debates lol) on OLD out of production quad wheels? I wonder because some of us *cough* older *cough* skaters HAVE some wheels hanging around and MIGHT not know (i.e. remember in our old age) what kind of wheel they really have after the label has been worn down to nothing.

I would LOVE to know more info about some of the older skate wheels, which ones are the hardest to find, which ones people consider the most valuable or the best made, which ones are the rarest (but maybe not necessarily the most wanted), etc. I mean, I knew I had some good wheels in the basement, but didn't realize I had some that others held more highly than I realized (Ever discover you had the holy grail in a cardboard box in the corner???). ALSO, I have some wheels that I thought were great wheels back in the day, but can't find a single post about them here.... so I wonder if I am just not using the search function very well?

So....
1) IS there a thread that discusses a variety of strictly out-of-production quad wheels?
2) Are there any threads discussing maybe the different skate wheel companies instead?
3) Is there ANY thread about Hyper Head Hunters???????? (That's what prompted this. lol)

Thanks anyone!
sommemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

There isn't a thread that discusses old wheels per, but you can always start a new thread with a "Can you tell me about these wheels?"

If you're looking for Hyper Head Hunter info, do searches for Hyper Cannibal wheels (make sure its the old style and not the new style).
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #3
sommemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
There isn't a thread that discusses old wheels per, but you can always start a new thread with a "Can you tell me about these wheels?"

If you're looking for Hyper Head Hunter info, do searches for Hyper Cannibal wheels (make sure its the old style and not the new style).
Thanks! Never thought to use the term Cannibal. Will try...

Just was hoping maybe there was some kind of encyclopedia of old wheels listing hardness, production dates, type of material, etc. .... I mean, Barbie has her own detailed guide of manufacture, why not us? lol (I know that's asking a lot... although Barbie DID own a pair of skates. )
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Well we had Wood Wheels

Hi

It seems like your request is more historical, correct me?

Are you on an Antique Sell task to make money, like Antique Road Show?

I guess there might be an audience for that interest, yet I don't know where it would have long life.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
sommemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi

It seems like your request is more historical, correct me?

Are you on an Antique Sell task to make money, like Antique Road Show?

I guess there might be an audience for that interest, yet I don't know where it would have long life.

Yes... I think very much historical...

Nah - not on any particular quest... honestly, I'm just a very historical type of person in general. When I see something interesting I want to know all about it. Helps it stick in my head more... if I don't have 20 details about something to file away, it slips out of my memory like THAT. So if someone says "what kind of wheels are those? sweet." if someone ONCE told me they were wicked lips, I MIGHT remember they had something to do with some wicked kinda name, or had to do with someone's face.... BUT after reading about the hardness, types, colors, and looking at various posts of other's pics of wicked lips and then asking my family about whose they were and when we had them and who skated on them during which speed meets.... yeah. I could tell you all about them now. But until then, they are just another pair of yellow wheels. lol (sad I know, but like I said, if you have memory problems you compensate somehow!)
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #6
sommemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post

OK - I just totally spent ages reading every Cannibal post I could find and am totally satisfied. THANKS. Now to go shine up some hubs.... um... AFTER work. lol
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #7
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default J Sharp's Brother is in NE Ohio

Hey

You wouldn't know Organist J.Sharp's Brother. Cleveland I think.
His brother played down in New Jersey last October and might play again this coming October. His younger brother did a great Russian Skate Dance and a World Class Art Comp Skater also skated with us. HE was FAST, young too and skated past us fast skaters skating faster.

It SEEMS to me, from years on this list that the best place for you to start a Tread on Skate Wheel History is under Session.

Normally Quad would be a better place, yet unless Kathie/Jessica does a History break out it probably won't get attention. And even with the Break Out if under Quad it might get little attention.

Good Luck

Old March 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #8
sommemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hey

You wouldn't know Organist J.Sharp's Brother. Cleveland I think.
His brother played down in New Jersey last October and might play again this coming October. His younger brother did a great Russian Skate Dance and a World Class Art Comp Skater also skated with us. HE was FAST, young too and skated past us fast skaters skating faster.

It SEEMS to me, from years on this list that the best place for you to start a Tread on Skate Wheel History is under Session.

Normally Quad would be a better place, yet unless Kathie/Jessica does a History break out it probably won't get attention. And even with the Break Out if under Quad it might get little attention.

Good Luck

Wasn't J Sharp the blind organist?!? You know how many stories I've heard about the blind organist that used to play in this area? Famous.

New Jersey is a little far for me though, at these gas prices.
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #9
niteridr95

bring everythign sunday... ill most likely know info on any thgin and everythign you bring...
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #10
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default No Idea if John is Blind

Here is one link to a tread,

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28809

No idea if J Sharp is blind. Saw his brother skate really well yet only have a photo of John and haven't actually met him personally. From You Tube links it seems like he has sight. John's brother still lives in NE-Ohio just like my cousin who has a Pizza Parlor.

Tags
quad, retro, reviews, wheels