S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #281
arcadefreaque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Me View Post
Working on the trucks, it looks like producing them is going to cost approximately what the plates cost. So a set of carbon trucks would probably be somewhere around $300+. Before I go down that path, I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are

I could probably work out a billet aluminum solution that would be cheaper, but likely not as light (or sexy).

Thoughts?
Although I'd been holding off on getting a the plates until the trucks were available. $600+ for plates/trucks is starting to make me a bit apprehensive (I am probably not your ideal target buyer anyhow though *lol*)
arcadefreaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #282
Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Me View Post
Working on the trucks, it looks like producing them is going to cost approximately what the plates cost. So a set of carbon trucks would probably be somewhere around $300+. Before I go down that path, I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are

I could probably work out a billet aluminum solution that would be cheaper, but likely not as light (or sexy).

Thoughts?
Are you using pre-preg/vac and cooking out the molds to kick them off?
Old October 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #283
okie

Arrow Kick Me plates 2 minute Mike.

I ask him many questions about his fab method when he started,

It took him a while to answer from his fab guy.

He is in Tucson where they make cruise missiles and there are many fab techs working there. Raython, and they are always hiring lay up techs.

He is not using Prepreg. Which is the best stuff and strongest,lightest etc.

He is using a wet lay up,a method that is used to repair damaged large sections that you can't get in a auto clave to bag and heat to make the resin flow out.

He is vac baging to remove the bubbles and apply pressure to on a back up caul.

He has made aluminum molds. Best to hold dims and stay flat where required.They made them out of high silicone content aluminum to control the heat expansion when he heat cures.

They should to ok for rink skating. not F117 Aircraft grade carbon work but much better than a recycled aluminum cast plate. Light & Strong!

I went thru all this with Alex Bont when he started doing his carbon boots in China. They could not figure why the boot bottoms were not flat after coming out of the auto clave cure.

They were using 6061 t6 precision machined for a heated cure mold?? NO back up caul over the part. When they cooled the mold was back flat and correct for overall dims ,but the shoe was not near flat on the bottom.

If the carbon boot sole is not flat to the plate (has Gaps) the stiffness and strength of the carbon boot sole will pull the plate and put in tension. Affects how the plate reacts.

I finally convinced him he was going to need to make the molds out of Inconel. This material does not expand or warp in a auto clave heat and pressure so the part stays the size desired and the boot bottom is flat as the mold bottom.

He about fainted for the price,but they will last a long time. I ask in alt least 10 times please take a height gage and a mouse scribe find the center of the boot mold and scribe a center line in the mold,when the shoe came out you would have a male line on the boot bottom and make it easy for shade tree mechanic to mount the boot since Snyder boot tool will not work on a bont boot bottom. He could not get the China man to under stand.

What are we going to do about Hayden and Rossi????? To much Auzzie Stoner- Repsol< no valve springs 16,ooo Rpms plus. Its nuts.
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #284
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
He could not get the China man to under stand.
Anyone envisioning Alex Bont as Al Swearingen right now? Who's that make Okie?
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #285
Kick Me
Skater - Dry Heat Militia

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadefreaque View Post
Although I'd been holding off on getting a the plates until the trucks were available. $600+ for plates/trucks is starting to make me a bit apprehensive (I am probably not your ideal target buyer anyhow though *lol*)
My thoughts as well. I think I will focus on a 10 degree plate to widen the market, then look into machined aluminum trucks - I can get them pretty light that way at a lower price for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Minute Mike View Post
Are you using pre-preg/vac and cooking out the molds to kick them off?
We've got a sort of special process going. I can't go into too much detail as we are using it on racecar parts and UAV parts as well, and it is proprietary. However I can say that it is very consistent and we get the same resin to cloth ratios as with the prepreg
Old October 18th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #286
Machine

[QUOTE=okie;546757]
I finally convinced him he was going to need to make the molds out of Inconel. This material does not expand or warp in a auto clave heat and pressure so the part stays the size desired and the boot bottom is flat as the mold bottom.

Heh, I priced out an Inconel exhaust for the F1, it cost more than the engine I had built...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
What are we going to do about Hayden and Rossi????? To much Auzzie Stoner- Repsol< no valve springs 16,ooo Rpms plus. Its nuts.
okie
You're still watching MotoGP? All the action was in BSB this season... I could care less about the frontrunners in GP, and Rossi is done. About the only two I keep tabs on are Spies and Crutchlow.

Even F1 was dull this year, my boy Hamilton just couldn't keep it on the track... and nothing was coming remotely close to catching the RBR.

I think I'll invest in a pair of the carbon quads once he's got the trucks into production.
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #287
Amefyst

Hi again!

Does anyone know if Royal trucks would fit into this plate??
Amefyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #288
jimduong
Teenage Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Fitzie View Post
Hi again!

Does anyone know if Royal trucks would fit into this plate??
If so, not without modifications to the truck. I KINDOF ran Imperial trucks on my Cyclones for a bit, but the geometry was off, truck wasn't perpendicular to the kingpin and I didn't want to risk any breaks.

I think the Snyder pivot pin may need some modification to go shorter too. I would probably say no, haha.
jimduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #289
Amefyst

There is a post on page 10 saying someone was ging to use a royal Ti kingpin....

Kick Me, Doc, Geno, any word on this?
Amefyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #290
jimduong
Teenage Dream

When I was trying things out, it seemed to be more of an issue of where the pivot cups are located and at what angles. The Imperial/Royal pivot cups sit a bit flatter, more perpendicular to the plate whereas the DA45 pivot cups sat a little more angled toward the kingpin. The Imperial/Royal axles in relation to the pivot pin sat directly over the pin, while the DA45 axles sat more towards the kingpin. Not much can be done to change that. I remember my wheelbase growing by close to 10mm.
jimduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #291
Fresh Eddie Fresh

I really wanted a set of these, but I am favoring my Royals over DA45s right now. I am keeping an eye on them, though. They look sweet!!
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #292
Kick Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Fitzie View Post
There is a post on page 10 saying someone was ging to use a royal Ti kingpin....

Kick Me, Doc, Geno, any word on this?
The kingpins they are using fit the 3/8-16 threading of the plate, but require a spacer between the nut and the cushions. They are also out of production, to my knowledge, but if you can get ahold of some, they are click-adjust, and make for a really sweet setup!

That said, I'm working on getting some titanium kingpins made with aluminum nuts to fit these plates. Stay tuned!
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #293
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

That would have been me or MMDR that was going to do the Ti kingpins, I'm pretty sure MMDR has done it, I am still planning on doing it, oter stuff just keeps one getting in the way.
I even got the kingpins, just have to get sorted.
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #294
Finn 427

[QUOTE=Big Nick; other stuff just keeps on getting in the way.[/QUOTE]

Hey! I resemble that remark
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #295
Shelberry

Wow, just WOW!!! Congratulations on a job well done!!

I just read this entire thread and I'm thinking I want to try these - though it wont be till later in the year when I find some cashola...

So who ended up buying some and how are they going??
Shelberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #296
Master Maniac Derby Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelberry View Post

I just read this entire thread and I'm thinking I want to try these - though it wont be till later in the year when I find some cashola...

I have the first set that were sent to Australia. I've been on them since about May last year and loving them. I came of size 5 DA45 Inavders on size 4 in these.

I've had no issues with them, and i cut atleast 200 grams off each skate, i'm on size 11 XL55 boots, with Swiss6 bearings, atom track attack wheels with gumball stoppers.

I'm a touch over 100kg and haven't had any issues, i've taken them to the skate park, street skate often on them and have been known to 'occasionally' jump the apex at derby training...
Master Maniac Derby Ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #297
Kick Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelberry View Post

Thanks so much! I've had folks from the US, Canada, UK, and Australia (thanks especially to Master Maniac) getting up on them I'm sure you can find a few more to chime in here, as well as on the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KickinEdge You might find some more folks to review them for you there

I hear you on the "cashola..." I'm trying to find a supplier for hollow titanium studs that I can get in a small order with. I can't afford to drop 2 grand right now haha!

Tags
carbon fiber, da45, light, plate, quad