S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old September 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #1
TootieBrutie

Question What do you think about these skates...

I am new to the sport and looking to buy some new skates. I've been skating on a pair of Boxers, but they are like torn to shreds and I'm looking for something a little better. I don't have a ton of money to spend on skates $200 is my limit! I found these and it says they are good for lightweight skaters and I was like "Hey, that sounds like me! lol". The wheels are also good for any surface which I do a lot of outdoor skating so that sounded good too.
What other skates would you recommend?
http://www.rollergirlskates.com/prod...cat=249&page=1
TootieBrutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Dec8rSk8r

I havent tried them, but these - Sure Grip Rebel DA45 Invader's are real popular on here now. They go right at $200 and come in a variety of colors http://leadjammerskates.com/Skate_Packages.html
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #3
TootieBrutie

They have those skates on the same website for $164.
TootieBrutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default He better not..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootieBrutie View Post
Minimum advertised price on those is 200.00.. Were you perhaps looking at the Rebel with the plastic Probe plate at 164??
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Dixie Disintegrateher
Dixie von Doom

One of the girls I skate with just picked up a Rogue package and says she really likes them. I really like the look of them, but have my heart set on the DA45 package with a purple boot. The sure-grip package on the rollergirl website isn't the same as the DA45 set-up.
The plate is mounted farther forward on the boot and is short than the standard mount. There are plenty of people on here who are way more knowledgeable about the short forward set up, but it is supposed to really good for derby and I've seen several thread floating around talking about it. People seem to either love it or hate and I'm sure you'll get a plethora of opinions.
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up She just needs to take a short road trip,

cut to the chase and talk to many sk8rs that rock the short forward DA45s ... She can see 'em in action....

Steel City is infested with happy sk8rs on short forward DA45s... Gee I wonder how that happened??
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Goldnblazer
I go round and round

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootieBrutie View Post
The ones on the site are not the same thing. They have the Probe plastic plate with is a much cheaper plate than what is on the Rebel DA45 Invaders.
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Dec8rSk8r

If your talking about http://www.rollergirlskates.com/prod...cat=249&page=1 the one on leadjammer has a different plate. The rebel is a leather boot and about everyone who has that plate seems to like it.

If your determined to get the Rogues (which isn't bad looking but that is a synthetic boot) - http://www.rollergirlskates.com/prod...cat=249&page=1, Low Price Skates has the same thing with free shipping this weekend.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #9
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
cut to the chase and talk to many sk8rs that rock the short forward DA45s ... She can see 'em in action....

Steel City is infested with happy sk8rs on short forward DA45s... Gee I wonder how that happened??
i blame you...and kennedy and i are doing the same here. we will be at 50% here as soon as the next 3 girls get their rebel invaders
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #10
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default It's not the boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
If your determined to get the Rogues (which isn't bad looking but that is a synthetic boot)
It's the plate I'd worry about.

In the last two weeks, I've retired two pairs of Tritons that were bent. Not tweaked, bent. I wish I'd have taken pictures. The surface of the plate that meets the boot was arched upwards such that if you lay them trucks-up on a table, they rock back and forth.

The trucks don't have a good record and the cushions are hard as rocks. They don't turn, and I see too many derby skaters struggle around the corners and suffer with shin splints and other ailments because they don't turn.

The Rebel Invader that Sure Grip makes is a far superior skate in every way. They're $200 list, but if you ask around, you can find them for less.

(If you're a size 7, PM me.)
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Eddie
the lucky variety....

i'd go for the rebel ivader too. . . even tho the rogue is way nicer to look at IMO, the DA45 is worth every extra cent...
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Rogzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
In the last two weeks, I've retired two pairs of Tritons that were bent. Not tweaked, bent. I wish I'd have taken pictures. The surface of the plate that meets the boot was arched upwards such that if you lay them trucks-up on a table, they rock back and forth.
This sounds familiar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogerharkavy/4822919054/
Rogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #13
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post
This sounds familiar.
Precisely like that. Bad juju.
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #14
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
The Rebel Invader that Sure Grip makes is a far superior skate in every way. They're $200 list, but if you ask around, you can find them for less.
+1
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Gorilla

Quote:

I thought those Riedell's with the lace covers looked nice, too. But I tell ya, the DA 45 plates really do make a difference. Right now, If I were shopping in the sub $200 range, I would buy the Rebel with Invader DA Plates.

I convinced 3 of my girls who were buying skates to try DA45 invaders, sport mounted (shorter and forwarder... size 3 plates on men's 7 boots). All three think they now have an unfair advantage. Once one or two players in a league try 'em, they become a sensation.

I am not quick to jump on band wagons, but this is the real deal. Thanks Doc for all the R&D.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Welcome to the "Kool-Aid" club...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
I thought those Riedell's with the lace covers looked nice, too. But I tell ya, the DA 45 plates really do make a difference. Right now, If I were shopping in the sub $200 range, I would buy the Rebel with Invader DA Plates.

I convinced 3 of my girls who were buying skates to try DA45 invaders, sport mounted (shorter and forwarder... size 3 plates on men's 7 boots). All three think they now have an unfair advantage. Once one or two players in a league try 'em, they become a sensation.

Next time, have 'em get 2s on the 7s... We put 3s on 8s and 9s..

I am not quick to jump on band wagons, but this is the real deal. Thanks Doc for all the R&D.

Yer most welcome...
But don't just thank me... Kennedy, dvw and several other folks (including a couple of derby sk8rs and their coach) had a big hand in the validation of the concept. Thank Sure Grip for making 'em too.. They could have decided against production.
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #17
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Thumbs up What he said

Quote:
Next time, have 'em get 2s on the 7s... We put 3s on 8s and 9s..
+1

Quote:
Thank Sure Grip for making 'em too.. They could have decided against production.
Even more +1. They've been a huge help and very reachable on the whole thing.
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #18
Gorilla

Doc Quoteth: "Next time, have 'em get 2s on the 7s... We put 3s on 8s and 9s.. "

I use 3s on my 9s. I decided to not push too hard... They were skeptical of not buying a Vixen Package or similar. Definitely a step in the right direction, I think.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #19
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

I have skated this boot...

IT is comfortable.. but totally will not hold up to derby.. AT ALL..

Plastic Soles will tear... vinyl toes will shread and with that flap..installing a toe guard will be difficult......

I do NOT recommend these for derby... I wont bother talking about the rest of the skate.. cause this boot.. *short of being a ref*.. will not hold up to derby at all....
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #20
Rogzilla

From what I've heard, the Rebel boot will hold up long enough for someone to decide they're into derby (a season or two), and by then you can just mount the plate on new boots.
Rogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews, riedell rogue, skates