S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old August 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
LilianaD

Default question about toe stopper

Hi,
I'm Liliana and I recently started skating again after maybe 15 years. I have a pair of quadlines with 84mm wheels and so far they feel great outdoors. But I'm still having some confidence issues and I feel the first thing I have to learn is how to stop, particularly downhills. I feel that my toe stopper (which is big and square) is terrible and not practical unless is used backwards, which is even more scary to do at this moment. Does anyone know if I can change this for a round one? or if having a heel stopper would work better? I think a regular round stopper would not fit these tall skates but what do I know.

Thanks, I appreciate your help
LilianaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Take some pics and post in the quad forum. They will get you sorted out.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #3
online inline

and by the looks of it, you'll probably have more fun over there anyway. They have a topic called "Super Excited!". And with an exclamation mark, no less.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Controlling speed downhill: You need to "scrub" speed. This is done in a zig-zag pattern as you go down hill. You can practice on a flat. Get a little speed up and then make a hard left turn, and do so with your feet well apart. Pay attention as to how much pressure is on your right foot. The more pressure, the more speed you will scrub. If all you did was turn, you need your feet a bit wider and put more pressure on the right foot. If you still have some momentum left, now turn hard right, again with your feet spread apart. As you are turning right, you need to make sure to get enough pressure on your left foot to scrub speed. 2 turns should be enough to get you stopped. Once you have done this successfully, the benefits on a downhill bit of trail are obvious. You zig-zag down hill putting as much or little pressure on your forward turning foot to control speed. Once you get this mastered, you will likely not give much thought to any kind of stopper. You won't need them.

Tags
quadlines, toe stops