S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old May 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Justbarb

Unhappy Stopping on Landrollers!

I'm not getting the hang of the rear brakes? Anyone have any suggestions to make me feel less wobbly? Do you think I could add a toe stop to these skates?

I guess I should add that I'm a returning skater and still quite a newbie to inline skates.

Last edited by Justbarb; May 7th, 2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: adding moe info
Justbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Slimyfrog
Grandmaster Beginner

I'm learning to skate myself so I can only speak from my own experience. The heel brake is a bit tough to learn. I had to practice it a lot, well past my frustration point. I took a few falls, lost my balance more than enough times, but eventually it becomes second nature.

Things that helped me personally were:
- Doing one thing at a time. First I had to learn to slide the brake along the surface, without actually braking.
- I don't think of it as braking with the heel. I think of is as braking by sitting on the invisible chair and pushing forward/down with the calf of my brake leg.
- I try to keep my knees together. Squeezing them together seems to add stability and allows me to get even lower for more braking pressure.
- I had to put effort into remembering to bend my knees and get low, before I even think of pushing forward with the brake leg.
Eventually I was able to make the brake screech and remain stable, but as I mentioned it took practice and I'm not quite done with it myself.
Slimyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #3
kuosher34

It really relies on putting all your weight (and balance) on the brake foot, which makes it really uncomfortable when you're getting started.

As slimy said, try to keep your knees together to build a little a-frame. Makes you much more stable and allows you to concentrate on putting your weight on the brake. Don't forget to learn other ways to brake too.

I'd be a lot better at heel breaking if I didn't all my time throwing myself into pivot stops (and not always successfully), but I'm way more comfortable at high speeds with a quick spot (and pads).

Good luck, and don't give up!
kuosher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #4
2old2sk8t

You'll feel a lot more stable and secure if you crouch way down (get lower) and rest both hands on top of you right thigh as you apply the brake. After you get used to using it, you won't feel the need to do that as much. That also allows you to put more weight on the brake, and when you really need to stop quickly, that is the most effective position from my experience. (Don't use them anymore, but I learned to skate on Landrollers.)

Last edited by 2old2sk8t; May 11th, 2010 at 01:45 AM.
2old2sk8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #5
FarmTruk
rusty bones

wow.

Those landrollers sure are one crazy wild looking skate.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #6
pgick

I how have speed skates and I miss my heel brake the most. They just don't work as the frame gets longer.
To learn how to use your heel brake find a slight downhill and brake down it. Just being in the position and have your heel rub a little. After a while you can apply more pressure. After you get good you can lay a patch of cheap rubber instead of dragging your expensive wheels useing a "T" stop.
If you just cant get the hang try looking on YouTube for lessons. Perhaps you are doing it wrong or just need to spend a couple days working on it.
Heel brakes are the best way to stop once you learn how.
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Justbarb

Question Good Tips...thanks

Thanks everyone, some good ideas! I'm going to practice all of these tips....Now, tell me about the pivot stop
Justbarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
begginner, rear stops, stopping, toe stops