S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old April 8th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #1
Nicks8888
395/Proline/Swiss/V-Drive

Default Proline Size for my 395 ?

Just need opinions on what would do if were in my situation.
Need help sizing on a proline plate. I'm unsure what size would be best for me and don't want to mess up on such expensive skates.
I'm aware there are downfalls to having to short of a plate as well as too long that's why even makes it harder for me to decide.
I've been out of skating for few years to say the least.
I'm 32 and wanting to get back into it, like at lest once a week going. I've went on someone old skates and I definitely still have it, just need little polishing on my skills. that should take little time because the love for it is still there and after spending that much on skates I better go LOL.

I used to LOVE speed skating, was even on speed team, I like jive skating as well and if I can maybe one day would like to be able to do even more tricks.
So basically want the best all around skate good for anything.

Going by Riedell sizing chart I could go with a 8.5 395
but I was sent a 8.5 and a 9 to try on not mounted and the 8.5 was just so tight on width it became little painfull on side of one foot ,
so I decided to go with the size 9 395.

Now the hard part came for me what size proline to go with for my 395 size 9, Riedell calls for a 7.00 and I've been told so many different things, 6.25 6.50 6.75 I'm lost on what size is best option for best all around skate that will work best for anything I want to do on it.
O ya by the way I would normally run a short stem toe stop all the way up almost for running on when starting in races if that makes a difference in sizing.
If it helps I'm 5'8 and about 180lbs to 195lbs.
Thanks,
Nick8888
Nicks8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Hmm, you seem to be a bit on the impatient side. An email, a PM, a post here and a similar post in the quad forum.. I'm sure I will get around to answering one of these.. But give me some time, OK?? You ask a lot of questions, getting the proper answers takes a little time.

I'll make the important part quick.
Quote:
Now the hard part came for me what size proline to go with for my 395 size 9, Riedell calls for a 7.00 and I've been told so many different things, 6.25 6.50 6.75 I'm lost on what size is best option for best all around skate that will work best for anything I want to do on it.
The reason you are lost is because the answer is .. It depends. Any of the sizes listed will work. In fact, the size range if you are really an 8 1/2 wide could be as short as 6". NOTE. The size of the boot has not one flipping thing to do with the size of the plate. It's the size of your foot that is the key player. If you start cheating on sizing by going to a bigger size to get the proper width... your foot still has not changed. If you base the size of the plate on an incorrectly longer boot size, then you could wind up with an incorrectly sized plate incorrectly aligned on the boot since your foot is NOT where the boot says it should be.

IF you need a wider boot, pay the extra coin to get Riedell to build you one. Then your foot will be where it is supposed to be, and all will come out better..

NOTE: all of this is based on a supposition.. That supposition being you have a normally proportioned foot.. If your toes are longer or shorter than normal, then the ball of your foot will sure as heck NOT be @ the widest part of the boot and all of the widest part of the boot mumbo jumbo will not get the desired results...

That being said, zillions of sk8s have been built on that assumption. I sk8s like that frequently and get excellent results... But if you want to get right down to the nitty gritty, the correct size of the plate has very little to do with the size of your boot.

Now my 2 cents on sizing. No way in hell will I ever recommend a plate as long as Riedell does. Most sk8rs with 8 1/2 feet will be fine on a 6.0 to 6.5" wheel base. I run in that range and I wear a 9. I prefer 6-6.25.

One other bit of advice. Slow down and do your homework. My pages and the forums in general are full of advice on this subject. Relax and read. The money you are looking to spend in pretty sizable. Take your time and make darn sure you have a clue about where you are going..

Here is a thought.. Do you even want a Riedell shoe?? Do you really want a Pro Line plate?? That's all 19th and 20th century technology.. Things have come a long way since a 395 Pro Line sk8 was on
my personal short list for king of the hill.. I own and sk8 a 911 Pro Line, although the plates have been breathed on a bit. They are fine sk8s (I don't build crap @ Jam'N'Speed...) but they do not ring my chimes..

So based on your location, do you roll @ Cavalier? Nice rink. At least it was 12 years ago when I was there last.

I'll get around to your email in a day or so.

Old April 8th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Nicks8888

Lol Sorry Doc,
Just finally got approved on here just a few days ago, Sent a request about a year or so ago but never heard anything.
I sent another one a few weeks ago and luckily I was approved this time.
So I wasn't sure if the messages were even going through to you. Now that I know apparently it works correctly on here I promise not to blow you up anymore. Lol
Basically I already ordered the Skates a while back and had an issue with them so they reorder them, But with complications they had on the first mounting jobs they are not going to mount them this time.
I do need to stick with my boot because it has been custom stamped.
But since the plate is not going to be coming mounted to the boot I can change the plate size when I call and speak with them before they resend them.
I was going to stay with the size 9 on a 700 and till I spoke with a few people that definitely let me know that is probably the wrong way to go, Luckily someone set me straight on that.
I need to get back with them in the next couple days or so and let them know if I'm changing the plate size so they can send me the correct size that would be best suited for me, That is why I was trying to make sure I got a hold of you in time to get your opinion as well on what size plate would be the best all-around skate for me. Because most everyone you talk to in the skate world knows you and values your opinion.
The reason why I choose a 395 and a proline is because that is what I wanted years ago when I was on the speed team and went to every session skate well over 15 years ago, 32 now and just wanting to get back into it to give us something to do for exercise and fun.
I do go to Cavalier sometimes, but mostly I go to the old Hugo's skateway now reopened "Rollerworks"
Well any more of your information would be greatly appreciated to steer me in the right direction, I'll be more patient now since I know you are getting my messages sorry about that.
Thanks,
Nick
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks8888 View Post
Lol Sorry Doc,

I do need to stick with my boot because it has been custom stamped.
But since the plate is not going to be coming mounted to the boot I can change the plate size when I call and speak with them before they resend them.
I was going to stay with the size 9 on a 700 and till I spoke with a few people that definitely let me know that is probably the wrong way to go, Luckily someone set me straight on that.
I need to get back with them in the next couple days or so and let them know if I'm changing the plate size so they can send me the correct size that would be best suited for me,

OK, let's stop right there for a second. If the first attempt was screwed up, what makes you think it will be right this time??

That is why I was trying to make sure I got a hold of you in time to get your opinion as well on what size plate would be the best all-around skate for me. Because most everyone you talk to in the skate world knows you and values your opinion.

I appreciate the compliment, just remember what is said about opinions.

The reason why I choose a 395 and a proline is because that is what I wanted years ago when I was on the speed team and went to every session skate well over 15 years ago, 32 now and just wanting to get back into it to give us something to do for exercise and fun.

OK, I understand the recapturing my lost childhood motivation. If you have read my stuff to any extent, you will note I never had a lost sk8ing childhood to recover, hence no irrational fixation on the "good old days".

I do go to Cavalier sometimes, but mostly I go to the old Hugo's skateway now reopened "Rollerworks"

Seriously?? That is the best news I have heard about indoor sk8ing in like forever!! That place was legendary. On top of that has anyone ever heard of any rink being re purposed back into a rink after being re purposed into a "swap meet"??

Well any more of your information would be greatly appreciated to steer me in the right direction, I'll be more patient now since I know you are getting my messages sorry about that.
Thanks,
Nick

OK, I'll do that little thing.
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Nicks8888

I hear you on that Doc, That is why definitely told them please do not mount them this time. The guy I been dealing with has tried to do everything he can to help me even reordered my boot immediately when he seen what his guys did so I definitely don't want to try to stick it to him and say I don't want the boot now after he reordered it specially for me.
If I were to change the plate not sure which one I would go with because as you said recapturing lost childhood motivation definitely lol, I've always liked the look of the Proline and it was always the plate to have years ago and I never got to get one.
I hear that definitely was a crazy change, that's one of the reasons why I started thinking about getting back into skating when I heard Hugos was reopening. We all love that rink definitely missed it when it was gone. Really the only thing that is changed there there is they got new carpet that isn't as easy to roll-on because it isn't so ran down like the old carpet, Still one of the best rinks in my book.
Basically one thing I guess I should do is measure from just in front of the ball of my foot where my big toes starts to back to just behind my ankle bone and see how long that is and either go with that exact size that measures or one step above that max. Would that be a good formula to help me at all?
Thanks Doc just let me know what other info you need to give me your opinion what would be best option for me to go with so I don't 100% commit to short but don't go too long so I hate it as well bc I'm almost tripping over my plate bc it is to long, my best option for all around skate.
I skated a friends old cheap Carreras size 9 that were wat to tight that had 675 plastic/nylon plates mounted normal as they come and they seemed ok, but I know my boot and plate will skate complety different then those skates no matter what size I get.
Thanks,
Nick
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Check yer email.
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #7
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

Default lol...

Doc it must be in the "what I wanted back in the day" water.....Lol...the first message I sent you I wanted a Prolines and Oberhamers....that was back in 2007..lol...

Nice lick your wounds with what you have and let Doc build you a skate...
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #8
Nicks8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSC FLOOR GUARD View Post
Doc it must be in the "what I wanted back in the day" water.....Lol...the first message I sent you I wanted a Prolines and Oberhamers....that was back in 2007..lol...

Nice lick your wounds with what you have and let Doc build you a skate...

Lol Definitely CHSC FLOOR GUARD you have that 100% right
"what I wanted back in the day" water.... Never satisfied the urge so almost 15 years later I'm trying to make a come back
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #9
CHSC FLOOR GUARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks8888 View Post
Lol Definitely CHSC FLOOR GUARD you have that 100% right
"what I wanted back in the day" water.... Never satisfied the urge so almost 15 years later I'm trying to make a come back
trust me...over here in Jersey...there are many that like the old stuff..including myself however I also am about to get a new technology skate hopefully soon...
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
trust me...over here in Jersey...there are many that like the old stuff..including myself however I also am about to get a new technology skate hopefully soon...

There are 2 conventional builds ahead of you that I am going to have to kick out first. Then you and the Mrs get new Bont Avengers. Your yellow specials are in the house..
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #11
CHSC FLOOR GUARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

There are 2 conventional builds ahead of you that I am going to have to kick out first. Then you and the Mrs get new Bont Avengers. Your yellow specials are in the house..
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES My suspenders have already cutoff my circulation.....
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #12
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
My suspenders have already cutoff my circulation.....
TMI
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #13
JSDarling

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Hmm, you seem to be a bit on the impatient side. An email, a PM, a post here and a similar post in the quad forum.. I'm sure I will get around to answering one of these.. But give me some time, OK?? You ask a lot of questions, getting the proper answers takes a little time.

I'll make the important part quick.
The reason you are lost is because the answer is .. It depends. Any of the sizes listed will work. In fact, the size range if you are really an 8 1/2 wide could be as short as 6". NOTE. The size of the boot has not one flipping thing to do with the size of the plate. It's the size of your foot that is the key player. If you start cheating on sizing by going to a bigger size to get the proper width... your foot still has not changed. If you base the size of the plate on an incorrectly longer boot size, then you could wind up with an incorrectly sized plate incorrectly aligned on the boot since your foot is NOT where the boot says it should be.

IF you need a wider boot, pay the extra coin to get Riedell to build you one. Then your foot will be where it is supposed to be, and all will come out better..

NOTE: all of this is based on a supposition.. That supposition being you have a normally proportioned foot.. If your toes are longer or shorter than normal, then the ball of your foot will sure as heck NOT be @ the widest part of the boot and all of the widest part of the boot mumbo jumbo will not get the desired results...

That being said, zillions of sk8s have been built on that assumption. I sk8s like that frequently and get excellent results... But if you want to get right down to the nitty gritty, the correct size of the plate has very little to do with the size of your boot.

Now my 2 cents on sizing. No way in hell will I ever recommend a plate as long as Riedell does. Most sk8rs with 8 1/2 feet will be fine on a 6.0 to 6.5" wheel base. I run in that range and I wear a 9. I prefer 6-6.25.

One other bit of advice. Slow down and do your homework. My pages and the forums in general are full of advice on this subject. Relax and read. The money you are looking to spend in pretty sizable. Take your time and make darn sure you have a clue about where you are going..

Here is a thought.. Do you even want a Riedell shoe?? Do you really want a Pro Line plate?? That's all 19th and 20th century technology.. Things have come a long way since a 395 Pro Line sk8 was on
my personal short list for king of the hill.. I own and sk8 a 911 Pro Line, although the plates have been breathed on a bit. They are fine sk8s (I don't build crap @ Jam'N'Speed...) but they do not ring my chimes..

So based on your location, do you roll @ Cavalier? Nice rink. At least it was 12 years ago when I was there last.

I'll get around to your email in a day or so.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:42 AM   #14
CHSC FLOOR GUARD

so what did the Doc end up doing here??

Tags
help new quads, labeda, proline, riedell, sizing