S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 30th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
RollerHazmat

Default Roll-Line cushions

This is my first post on this forum
I have Roll-Line Variant M plates and the cushions (or pads, or suspensions) that came with them are the brown natural rubber (medium) and I have been curious as to whether or not I should get different (softer) ones. I would like to get deeper edges without sacrificing stability, and with these medium pads it seems to me that I have to keep my kingpins really loose to get the edges I need for spins. I can't seem to find any information on weight or skate style for these different pads but if it helps anyone answer my question I weigh about 125 lbs and I do Freestyle and Creative Free Dance skating.
RollerHazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
arcadefreaque

Not sure if this will help you, but as an inexperienced skater here, I find that I have plenty of stability on my RollLine plates with soft cushions (greys or greens). I weight approx 215-220lbs and have been on soft cushions since I was 150lbs heavier. I'm guessing that at 125lbs, you'll still be wishing for softer cushions after going softer. Unfortunately, RollLine cushions are a tad costly to just pickup every type to try out :/
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #3
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

The lighter you are, the harder it is to apply pressure to your cushions. Based on this concept, I definitely recommend you purchase a set of the greens.
http://www.skatesus.com/store/produc...roducts_id=319
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:58 AM   #4
RollerHazmat

I've been reading other threads on this forum since I posted and it seems like you guys have the right idea with the green cushions.
The Roll-Line website says that the green cushions are for skaters up to 77 pounds, but I've seen on here that people of all sizes use the green ones. I was considering getting clear blue (medium) for the upper (bigger) cushion and clear green (soft) for the lower (smaller) cushion but what I might do is order a half set of the blues and a full set of the greens just in case. I'd rather spend the extra money on an extra half-set than have to wait for other ones to be delivered, as I am anxious to get this all figured out. Also, most people in my skate club uses Roll-Line plates so it wouldn't be too hard to offload any cushions I don't use.
Thanks for your help! I love this forum, I've learned so much just from reading threads other people have posted!
RollerHazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:50 AM   #5
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerHazmat View Post
I've been reading other threads on this forum since I posted and it seems like you guys have the right idea with the green cushions.
The Roll-Line website says that the green cushions are for skaters up to 77 pounds, but I've seen on here that people of all sizes use the green ones. I was considering getting clear blue (medium) for the upper (bigger) cushion and clear green (soft) for the lower (smaller) cushion but what I might do is order a half set of the blues and a full set of the greens just in case. I'd rather spend the extra money on an extra half-set than have to wait for other ones to be delivered, as I am anxious to get this all figured out. Also, most people in my skate club uses Roll-Line plates so it wouldn't be too hard to offload any cushions I don't use.
Thanks for your help! I love this forum, I've learned so much just from reading threads other people have posted!
I find the clear blue, barrel, (upper) cushions with the clear green, cone cushions, a perfect combination. I weigh 141 lbs.

My plates came with clear cushions. I then bought a set of clear blue, then a set of clear green. Having the clear green in upper position makes it to hard to hold an edge for my style of skating.

I believe you will be very happy with the combination you are considering. You will notice a slight difference between rubber, and urethane; yet you should quickly adjust. Another plus, urethane lasts longer.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:08 PM   #6
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Quote:
This is my first post on this forum
I have Roll-Line Variant M plates and the cushions (or pads, or suspensions) that came with them are the brown natural rubber (medium) and I have been curious as to whether or not I should get different (softer) ones. I would like to get deeper edges without sacrificing stability, and with these medium pads it seems to me that I have to keep my kingpins really loose to get the edges I need for spins. I can't seem to find any information on weight or skate style for these different pads but if it helps anyone answer my question I weigh about 125 lbs and I do Freestyle and Creative Free Dance skating.
At 125 lbs and a freestyle skater you should probably be on soft cushions.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:56 AM   #7
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Thumbs up I'd Suggest Going With...

Grays...

Derrick......
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #8
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

I started with the natural rubber cushions. They were fine for about 9 months when they started to harden up. At that point, they were as hard as the clear urethane. I tried every combination (thanks to some generous loans and gifts from other skaters) and settled on blue upper, gray lowers on my Mariner Cup plates and all gray on my Ring plates.

In general the Roll Line guides for weight seem quite a bit off to me based on skaters who work on their own skates. However, I know lots of skaters who use their stock combinations and are amazing skaters who perfectly happy with their setups. Those are the same skaters that have also never adjusted their pivot pins which I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with.

S
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
I started with the natural rubber cushions. They were fine for about 9 months when they started to harden up. At that point, they were as hard as the clear urethane. I tried every combination (thanks to some generous loans and gifts from other skaters) and settled on blue upper, gray lowers on my Mariner Cup plates and all gray on my Ring plates.

In general the Roll Line guides for weight seem quite a bit off to me based on skaters who work on their own skates. However, I know lots of skaters who use their stock combinations and are amazing skaters who perfectly happy with their setups. Those are the same skaters that have also never adjusted their pivot pins which I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with.

S
A friend of mine skates on the Energy, clear cushions, and he never adjusted them. Consequently, failure to maintain his plates cause breakage of a kingpin. Roll-Line said they'd never seen it happen.

Not long after this he go sick, and lost a lot of weight. He had to switch the clear blues in order to press his edges, as before.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
A friend of mine skates on the Energy, clear cushions, and he never adjusted them. Consequently, failure to maintain his plates cause breakage of a kingpin. Roll-Line said they'd never seen it happen.

Not long after this he go sick, and lost a lot of weight. He had to switch the clear blues in order to press his edges, as before.
they probably broke because i imagine his pivot pin was out of adjustment. my son use to break the kingpins on rolline all the time but it was from jumps mostly and bringing his leg over and banging the back of the plate. David at rolline knew this at the time but it was awhile back. they got better kingpins and he didnt do it as much. but he still broke the beefed up ones and then the titanium ones too but not very often compared to before . he used clear cushions which use to crack within 6 to 8 months. he was 6 ft talled and weighted 180 pounds or a few less at the time.
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
mikoskate
From Italy with Love

http://artisticskating.roll-line.it/...?id_product=87
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #12
DesertSk8er

Default For freestyle - harder top and softer bottom cushions

RollerHazmat,

I think you have the right idea. Most skaters using Roll-Line plates will run a harder upper (larger cylinder cushion) and softer lower (smaller conical cushion). Although I've read on the Internet and elsewhere on these forums that some skaters will reverse that for figures. In fact, I ran mine that way for a while before switching to all green cushions and I can say that the reversed setup gives quite a different feel; as I recall it was more instantaneous and less forgiving.

Here is a link that includes information about cushion setups. It'll take you to SkatesUS's Giotto detail. Scroll down a little more than half way to read the thinking behind the cylinder/cone cushion design.
http://www.skatesus.com/store/produc...products_id=41

Hope this helps,
Skate on!

Quote:
DesertSk8er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, pads, roll line