S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    


Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
RollerHazmat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 3
Default Roll-Line cushions

This is my first post on this forum
I have Roll-Line Variant M plates and the cushions (or pads, or suspensions) that came with them are the brown natural rubber (medium) and I have been curious as to whether or not I should get different (softer) ones. I would like to get deeper edges without sacrificing stability, and with these medium pads it seems to me that I have to keep my kingpins really loose to get the edges I need for spins. I can't seem to find any information on weight or skate style for these different pads but if it helps anyone answer my question I weigh about 125 lbs and I do Freestyle and Creative Free Dance skating.
RollerHazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
arcadefreaque
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 508
Default

Not sure if this will help you, but as an inexperienced skater here, I find that I have plenty of stability on my RollLine plates with soft cushions (greys or greens). I weight approx 215-220lbs and have been on soft cushions since I was 150lbs heavier. I'm guessing that at 125lbs, you'll still be wishing for softer cushions after going softer. Unfortunately, RollLine cushions are a tad costly to just pickup every type to try out :/
__________________
"Reidell plates are like a slice of pizza that a hobo has pulled out of the trash ... it still looks like pizza, but would you eat it?" - HK47 05/03/2012
arcadefreaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #3
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,025
Default

The lighter you are, the harder it is to apply pressure to your cushions. Based on this concept, I definitely recommend you purchase a set of the greens.
http://www.skatesus.com/store/produc...roducts_id=319
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:58 AM   #4
RollerHazmat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 3
Default

I've been reading other threads on this forum since I posted and it seems like you guys have the right idea with the green cushions.
The Roll-Line website says that the green cushions are for skaters up to 77 pounds, but I've seen on here that people of all sizes use the green ones. I was considering getting clear blue (medium) for the upper (bigger) cushion and clear green (soft) for the lower (smaller) cushion but what I might do is order a half set of the blues and a full set of the greens just in case. I'd rather spend the extra money on an extra half-set than have to wait for other ones to be delivered, as I am anxious to get this all figured out. Also, most people in my skate club uses Roll-Line plates so it wouldn't be too hard to offload any cushions I don't use.
Thanks for your help! I love this forum, I've learned so much just from reading threads other people have posted!
RollerHazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:50 AM   #5
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerHazmat View Post
I've been reading other threads on this forum since I posted and it seems like you guys have the right idea with the green cushions.
The Roll-Line website says that the green cushions are for skaters up to 77 pounds, but I've seen on here that people of all sizes use the green ones. I was considering getting clear blue (medium) for the upper (bigger) cushion and clear green (soft) for the lower (smaller) cushion but what I might do is order a half set of the blues and a full set of the greens just in case. I'd rather spend the extra money on an extra half-set than have to wait for other ones to be delivered, as I am anxious to get this all figured out. Also, most people in my skate club uses Roll-Line plates so it wouldn't be too hard to offload any cushions I don't use.
Thanks for your help! I love this forum, I've learned so much just from reading threads other people have posted!
I find the clear blue, barrel, (upper) cushions with the clear green, cone cushions, a perfect combination. I weigh 141 lbs.

My plates came with clear cushions. I then bought a set of clear blue, then a set of clear green. Having the clear green in upper position makes it to hard to hold an edge for my style of skating.

I believe you will be very happy with the combination you are considering. You will notice a slight difference between rubber, and urethane; yet you should quickly adjust. Another plus, urethane lasts longer.
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:08 PM   #6
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com
 
inverse137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerHazmat View Post
This is my first post on this forum
I have Roll-Line Variant M plates and the cushions (or pads, or suspensions) that came with them are the brown natural rubber (medium) and I have been curious as to whether or not I should get different (softer) ones. I would like to get deeper edges without sacrificing stability, and with these medium pads it seems to me that I have to keep my kingpins really loose to get the edges I need for spins. I can't seem to find any information on weight or skate style for these different pads but if it helps anyone answer my question I weigh about 125 lbs and I do Freestyle and Creative Free Dance skating.
At 125 lbs and a freestyle skater you should probably be on soft cushions.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:56 AM   #7
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat
 
MR SHELBY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa.
Posts: 1,998
Thumbs up I'd Suggest Going With...

Grays...

Derrick......
__________________
OWNER: MILLS BROS. SKATE COMPANY...
FOUNDER: SNACKBAR SKATERS OF AMERICA...
OBIE XL 35/SNYDER G.A'S/8 BALLS/AUSSIE JETS...
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #8
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!
 
slhallford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rancho Cordova, CA
Posts: 1,586
Default

I started with the natural rubber cushions. They were fine for about 9 months when they started to harden up. At that point, they were as hard as the clear urethane. I tried every combination (thanks to some generous loans and gifts from other skaters) and settled on blue upper, gray lowers on my Mariner Cup plates and all gray on my Ring plates.

In general the Roll Line guides for weight seem quite a bit off to me based on skaters who work on their own skates. However, I know lots of skaters who use their stock combinations and are amazing skaters who perfectly happy with their setups. Those are the same skaters that have also never adjusted their pivot pins which I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with.

S
__________________
Sarah
I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso
slhallford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
I started with the natural rubber cushions. They were fine for about 9 months when they started to harden up. At that point, they were as hard as the clear urethane. I tried every combination (thanks to some generous loans and gifts from other skaters) and settled on blue upper, gray lowers on my Mariner Cup plates and all gray on my Ring plates.

In general the Roll Line guides for weight seem quite a bit off to me based on skaters who work on their own skates. However, I know lots of skaters who use their stock combinations and are amazing skaters who perfectly happy with their setups. Those are the same skaters that have also never adjusted their pivot pins which I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with.

S
A friend of mine skates on the Energy, clear cushions, and he never adjusted them. Consequently, failure to maintain his plates cause breakage of a kingpin. Roll-Line said they'd never seen it happen.

Not long after this he go sick, and lost a lot of weight. He had to switch the clear blues in order to press his edges, as before.
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
A friend of mine skates on the Energy, clear cushions, and he never adjusted them. Consequently, failure to maintain his plates cause breakage of a kingpin. Roll-Line said they'd never seen it happen.

Not long after this he go sick, and lost a lot of weight. He had to switch the clear blues in order to press his edges, as before.
they probably broke because i imagine his pivot pin was out of adjustment. my son use to break the kingpins on rolline all the time but it was from jumps mostly and bringing his leg over and banging the back of the plate. David at rolline knew this at the time but it was awhile back. they got better kingpins and he didnt do it as much. but he still broke the beefed up ones and then the titanium ones too but not very often compared to before . he used clear cushions which use to crack within 6 to 8 months. he was 6 ft talled and weighted 180 pounds or a few less at the time.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
mikoskate
From Italy with Love
 
mikoskate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bologna, Italy
Posts: 80
Default

http://artisticskating.roll-line.it/...?id_product=87
__________________
EDEA flamenco 2012, roll-line Dance plate, roll-line super speed race 90A wheels, carbon bearings. Italian passion. Dajeeee!!
mikoskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #12
DesertSk8er
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tri Cities, Washington
Posts: 73
Default For freestyle - harder top and softer bottom cushions

RollerHazmat,

I think you have the right idea. Most skaters using Roll-Line plates will run a harder upper (larger cylinder cushion) and softer lower (smaller conical cushion). Although I've read on the Internet and elsewhere on these forums that some skaters will reverse that for figures. In fact, I ran mine that way for a while before switching to all green cushions and I can say that the reversed setup gives quite a different feel; as I recall it was more instantaneous and less forgiving.

Here is a link that includes information about cushion setups. It'll take you to SkatesUS's Giotto detail. Scroll down a little more than half way to read the thinking behind the cylinder/cone cushion design.
http://www.skatesus.com/store/produc...products_id=41

Hope this helps,
Skate on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerHazmat View Post
I've been reading other threads on this forum since I posted and it seems like you guys have the right idea with the green cushions.
The Roll-Line website says that the green cushions are for skaters up to 77 pounds, but I've seen on here that people of all sizes use the green ones. I was considering getting clear blue (medium) for the upper (bigger) cushion and clear green (soft) for the lower (smaller) cushion but what I might do is order a half set of the blues and a full set of the greens just in case. I'd rather spend the extra money on an extra half-set than have to wait for other ones to be delivered, as I am anxious to get this all figured out. Also, most people in my skate club uses Roll-Line plates so it wouldn't be too hard to offload any cushions I don't use.
Thanks for your help! I love this forum, I've learned so much just from reading threads other people have posted!
__________________
- Marie
Klingbeil / Roll-Line Giotto / Giotto 58D / Bones Swiss
Klingbeil / Roll-Line Mistral / Grease 92A / Bones Swiss
DesertSk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cushions, pads, roll line

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.