S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 29th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Akita777

Default Need some skates advice (Dominion 88 or Riedell 172)

Hey everyone, I'm new to forum, forgive me if this topic have been brought up, but I am a skater from Alabama, but I currently live in Columbus, Ohio and live up for a quite a longtime, I have been skating every since i was young young. I was brought up on the basics of Chicago JB Style when i was young, adding my own different mixtures twist of different styles to create something unique. Now I recently just got back into skating after my bike accident, since I really don't have a drive anymore to get on a bike, i choose to go back to my childhood passion. But I need some help and advice/opinions from experience and more wiser skaters then me.

I currently have a pair of Dominon 27's Skates, Bones Red Bearings, 56mm Legend Wheels and Marathon IV plates, my objective is to upgrade my skates to accomodate my full hands on learning and adding JB skating to my own style. I currently plan on investing into a Dominion 88 or Riedell 172 boot and then wheels (but not right now), I plan on doing jumps, and spins, and I heard the Riedell doesn't have sufficient ankle support, and I have yet to hear anything about the Dominion 88, can anyone speak on the Dominion 88 and Riedell 172?

Thank Y'all. (Sorry for the long paragraphs)
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #2
HK47
Roll Player

You're probably gonna have to try on both to make a decision, if you want a LOT of ankle support then the newer boot designs would be the way to go (only they aren't as tall) ... the 172s are soft, but still have more support than jam boots, lol.

Have you reached the limits of your old boots?
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Akita777

Quote:
the 172s are soft, but still have more support than jam boots, lol.
Ha ha, I only question the Riedell 172 cause folks that "said" they used them before, they didn't have support compared to like a Riedell 297 or etc. Which i kind of figure cause a 297 is a artistic boot. But your answer definitely answered my question lol

and my current Dominion 27's there getting to that point, they lasted quite long though. In general, I never been a fan of the lower top or mid top I should say, just for appearance reason. I always skated on the vintage Chicago style boot, which was high top, like Betty Lytle, Riedell etc...So after my next week or so, I want to order either Riedell 172 or Dominion 88. But my eyes is leaning towards the 88's cause of affordability, But I have no way to try one (no skate stores here in the city)so I really want to see what people experiences with the Dominion 88, but I can't find no threads or opinions here when I search on the forum.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
HK47
Roll Player

Yeah, the place to ask about that woulda been Skatefam or something, only it's shut down now You could try the dance area of SouthernSkater ... other than that, hit up anyone friendly at your local rink. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I've only seen the 172s up close (and my high-tops are '60s vintage so kinda hard to get hold of)

FWIW though, there's no way I'd dance in new artistic boots, recon I'd break my legs!!
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #5
40yearslater

Hey Akita777,

You may already know about these, but I believe they have a bit more support than 172s, and are less expensive than the either the 172 or 297.
The newer version ("retro") has a shearling tongue like the 297 and 172.
It's a really nice boot.

http://www.roller.riedellskates.com/...%20220%20Retro

It's good you're getting back into skating.
You're going be really glad that you did!
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:17 PM   #6
q in sac
O.G. Skater

Default Riedells or Dominion.....

There are a lot of variables to consider. Narrow or wide feet. How many socks do you put on? Style or comfort. Your overall budget.

If you have "bad" ankles (i.e. sprains or broke) the high tops are the way to go. Plus, add some ankle braces to the mix. Cost wise, the Dominion 88's are the way to go. But you will need to try the boot on and get a "feel" of them. They might take a while for you to break them in. I bought some Fandangos back in 2009 and finally (2012) there comfortable.

Plus, if your moving toward the JB style of skate, most of the those skaters roll with 172's for comfort and flexibility. So, you must take that into consideration. If you see my avatar, you cannot roll in the shoes I wear, if you have bad ankles.
q in sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:36 AM   #7
Akita777

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearslater View Post
Hey Akita777,

You may already know about these, but I believe they have a bit more support than 172s, and are less expensive than the either the 172 or 297.
The newer version ("retro") has a shearling tongue like the 297 and 172.
It's a really nice boot.

http://www.roller.riedellskates.com/...%20220%20Retro

It's good you're getting back into skating.
You're going be really glad that you did!
Thanks and yes, I'm loving every chance I get, I go every Sunday. Wish i can get at least twice a week, but got school and work.

I didn't know they came with the Shearling tongue...I always thought they came with no padding, and wow, i may reconsider cause Riedell can get your exact size to your measurements right?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Akita777

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Yeah, the place to ask about that woulda been Skatefam or something, only it's shut down now You could try the dance area of SouthernSkater ... other than that, hit up anyone friendly at your local rink. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I've only seen the 172s up close (and my high-tops are '60s vintage so kinda hard to get hold of)

FWIW though, there's no way I'd dance in new artistic boots, recon I'd break my legs!!
Oh no don't be, thanks really, any help/advice from any more experienced skaters then myself is a great. I be so long away from skating lol, Just trying to get back to my "Hay days"
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Akita777

Quote:
Originally Posted by q in sac
Cost wise, the Dominion 88's are the way to go. But you will need to try the boot on and get a "feel" of them. They might take a while for you to break them in. I bought some Fandangos back in 2009 and finally (2012) there comfortable.
Yea, that i kind of figure, cause my Dominion 27's took a good while just to break in, and I mean a good while. They are leather w/ split leather with suede inside I believe, while the Dominion 88 is Leather Outer w/ Synthetic lining and fleece lined tongue. I have no idea how the D88 would feel with those materials or how long the break in process will be, which my D27's was work.

Quote:
Plus, if your moving toward the JB style of skate, most of the those skaters roll with 172's for comfort and flexibility. So, you must take that into consideration
I'm taking that into heavy consideration, cause every JB skater i have talked to and my family from Chicago/Gary area, that also owned the 172, said the flexibility and comfortable is amazing. I may switch my choices between and go Riedell 220 Retro or 172...cause idk how the D88 will rank with those two factors. I will have to pay more, but I think it will be worth it in the long run if the D88 doesn't meet up to par.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:26 AM   #10
40yearslater

Hey Akita,

As far as the sizing goes, I'm guessing that you're referring to the sizing charts like these (?)

http://www.skates.com/Riedell-Sizing...s-s/251621.htm

When I've gotten Riedells, I've been fitted at rinks and at a store, and they have a pretty involved system, but what I found is that the 220 fits pretty close to my usual shoe size. I got mine 1/2 size down, though, to fit snugly, (I also wear a really thin smartwool liner sock) and the boots are heat-molded so that they fit evenly all around.
The heat molding is a really nice feature.
And yes, they do have padding, (well-designed), keeps it snug around the Achilles tendon, so there's no heel lift (no blisters!) but doesn't constrict anywhere.

And hey, I think twice a week, if you can make it, is a good thing (more if you can). Skating will actually complement your work in school, clears your head, helps you concentrate, decreases stress - and it makes you happier. You'll actually do better the more you can skate!
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Akita777

Quote:
And hey, I think twice a week, if you can make it, is a good thing (more if you can). Skating will actually complement your work in school, clears your head, helps you concentrate, decreases stress - and it makes you happier. You'll actually do better the more you can skate!
Ha ha thanks man, I've been trying to fit that in my routine, Sunday Night here in Columbus is a big night for skating, which is my usual, i be trying to go after one day a week, kind of like practice session you know and yes, Skating at least in my opinion is the biggest stress reliever for me, can't get enough of it.

Thanks for the sizing chart, and yes, cause I believe Riedell also come in like Narrow, Medium and like wide sizes too...I'm definitely going to look into that.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Akita777

Default Wheels

Thanks for all the advice everybody, I have one more question and I know this is a highly opinionated question...

but what wheels should I get for hopping back into Chicago JB style?

My choices are Sure Grip Velvets (Vanathane), Roller Bones 57mm 101a or 103a, and SURE GRIP'S All American-Plus (Not the Vanathane ones)...

I want grip, but just enough, i don't plan on open house sliding like a detroiter lol, I weigh about 140lb or so maybe a little less.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #13
q in sac
O.G. Skater

Default wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita777 View Post
Thanks for all the advice everybody, I have one more question and I know this is a highly opinionated question...

but what wheels should I get for hopping back into Chicago JB style?

My choices are Sure Grip Velvets (Vanathane), Roller Bones 57mm 101a or 103a, and SURE GRIP'S All American-Plus (Not the Vanathane ones)...

I want grip, but just enough, i don't plan on open house sliding like a detroiter lol, I weigh about 140lb or so maybe a little less.
These wheels are fine
: Sure Grip Velvets (Vanathane), Roller Bones 57mm 101a or 103a, and SURE GRIP'S All American-Plus (Not the Vanathane ones). Plus note, u need to check your budget. Important!

U want the best roll and some decent grip. Remember, JB style is a lot of footwork and balance. Also good bearings (i.e. swiss, china reds or ceramics) are a key. Whatever set up that u get make sure ur happy with it. It will take some time to get use to it and make adjustments.
q in sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Akita777

Quote:
U want the best roll and some decent grip.
That's exactly the terms I was trying to say. I already have 2 sets of Bones Reds, that was my first thing I got on my list, I just can't do ABEC or any other bearings.

Quote:
Plus note, u need to check your budget. Important!
Yes, I'm keeping that in front of my mind. Since the wheels I mention was good, I may get the White Sure Grip Velvets, cause I can get them for a real good price at the rink. About $30/35 (since I know the manager/owner).

Now since the Sure Grip Velvets are Vanathane, which I never skated on cause I always have used Urethane compounds, how do they compare with the other two? (Bones 101a and Sure Grip All American Plus) as in compound wise...are they more durable, grippy or slippy? Is there a big difference between the two compounds performance? Better roll? Easier to do footwork?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm just making sure I piece together a real nice JB setup, with advice and recommendations from more experience skaters. So thanks greatly for every little bit of time y'all giving to answer me.
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #15
HK47
Roll Player

I was lucky enough to get some Bones Super Elite 101s second hand and they are great. Also the Radar Varsitys are surprisingly good for a much cheaper wheel (though more slide-y than the Elites)
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #16
Akita777

Radar Varsity i heard they tend to slide a bit, nothing like Fo-Macs, but quite a slide. I think i'm going to probably to go with the Sure Grip Velvets 57mm Whites. They are vanathane, so im curious how will the experience be coming from urethane, this will be my first vanathane set ever lol.
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #17
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita777 View Post
Radar Varsity i heard they tend to slide a bit, nothing like Fo-Macs, but quite a slide. I think i'm going to probably to go with the Sure Grip Velvets 57mm Whites. They are vanathane, so im curious how will the experience be coming from urethane, this will be my first vanathane set ever lol.
Yeah, I like the slide

Let us know how you get on, I'm real curious about clay wheels
Old March 7th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #18
diagetus

Hello Akita777.

My guess is you'll probably like the velvets. Urethane is going to be a bit more durable and can be skated on fairly smooth concrete, whereas velvets would be shredded to pot marked in short order.

If you're skating indoors it shouldn't be as much of an issue. In fact, I think the velvets have smoothest roll I've ever experience with mint wheels. I like 60mm and up right now (for front trucks you get more space), so it's harder for me to go back down to a 57mm. I don't think sure grip offers the velvets in that size, so I haven't skated them for some time. Velvets will be a tad bit slicker than a 101 Bones - probably about the same slickness as a 103 Bones.

I noticed you also posted concerning boots. I've never skated either of the model you mentioned, but the Riedell 172 is definitely the more widely purchased boot. I've heard far more good things about it than any negative comments. Most people are happy with the softness of the boot, which is what most midwest freestylers are looking for. If you're doing big jumps or multiple rotations, I would say a 220 Retro or even a 297 professional is a better bet. It's really difficult to recommend boot hardness without seeing how hard you are on the skate.

I just wanted to bring up another boot that doesn't get a lot of press. The Formula One is made by SpTeri. Their contact info can be found on www.spteri.com . You can't really access the formula one's over the internet. The amount produced per year is probably pretty small. Not many people know they even exist. This boot doesn't have the capped toe. It's essentially like a 297 professional, only softer. They say it's rude to ask a lady how much she weighs so....
If you weigh under - lets say - 200 lbs. 220 Riedell or a F1 should be sufficient. If you weigh 250 or more, I would say 297. If you're around 100 lbs. and skate light, a 172 should be fine.

Oh! While you're draining your wallet, don't forget to consider new plates too! Sure grip Classics run for about $100 - 150.00 these days.

Hope you enjoy your new skates!
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #19
Akita777

Quote:
Oh! While you're draining your wallet, don't forget to consider new plates too! Sure grip Classics run for about $100 - 150.00 these days.
Lol, I wish my wallet could replenish it self for me to do so. But I have Marathon IV plates right now, I'm going to invest in a new plate after my Boot and Wheels...

I think right now im leaning towards the Riedell 172 than the Dominion 88, as its the familiar choice, and heard many good reviews, especially for JB. So I think right now, my mind is set on the R172. Now the wheels, yes I skate only indoor, 99% of the time, So the Velvets should okay...but I do have a set of Legend Urethane 56mm wheels that 95a, I think those will be okay if I want to get in a little "JB Session" with that 1% on some smooth concrete? (I also weight 130-135lbs somewhere around there)

Tags
172 boots, dominion, dominion 88, jb skating, riedell