S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old March 6th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Stitch
Brawl Atreides #31

Red face Toe Stops, Physics & Cowardice!

So, I've been skating for about 8 months now on a pair Anarchy Mayhems (I can hear the groans from here, I know, they're not brilliant and I'm having real trouble with doing anything on toe stops. I've read a few threads here about the fear of toe stops and such but I'm not afraid to use them, rather my skates seem to be designed in such a way that I can't and having seen a gadzillion bouts, I recognise the importance of stopping on the toe stops.

Doing literally everything possible but not getting very much joy and sorta wondering if it's to do with my feet being so gosh darn big. I go up on my toes and it's a pretty extreme angle and impossible to maintain, let alone run on. I've read that when you do that, there should be 3 to 4 fingers between the back wheel and the floor - mine are more like 6 or 7 and this is with the stem of the toe stop extended all the way.

I have pretty long toes so the ball of my foot actually sits *just* behind where the front wheels are so wondering if this contributes (one foot glides usually leave me turning inwards pretty quick where the ball of my foot isn't quite far forward enough anyway...).

A few people on my team are using Anarchy Havocs, which are more "boot-like" and have a very different stopper on the front (hence they can run and jump on them fantastically). Now, I'd wear Havocs if I could but they don't go up to my size...

I'm fairly sure it's a design error, looking at it - the stops are in a fairly weird place as it is and in the larger sizes, they seem to just extend the length of the boot, but not factor in the location of the toe stop.

I can't afford new skates at present but wondering if bigger toe stops, i.e Gumballs may work?

Anyone else have the same problem?
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
yesiamtom

Why can't you lower your toe stops? When adjusted mine about a year ago i lowered them until i tripped over them whilst skating normally, backed them off a turn and they are perfect. I use roll-line plates so the toe stops are BIG. They make gumballs look tiny.

You'll probably find the same problem as i have with a size 10 riedell r3. The plate is just too damn long. The front axle is to far forward and the back axle to far backward. I find this makes it a lot more difficult than it needs to be to get up on the toe stop and run.

Its great that you want to use the toe stops - they are fantastic and will make you very quick when you need to sprint from a standing start or even a slow rolling start. Unfortunately the only way to shorten a plate is to buy a new one

edit: sorry now i see why you cant lower the toe stops...Not really sure what to suggest other than a more expensive setup that has adjustment built in. As long as you have good wheels and the bushings are set correctly you dont need a super duper 500/$1000 set of skates like a lot of people suggest. My skates are probably close to a kilo in weight each...doesnt give me any problems.
yesiamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #3
HK47
Roll Player

They're bell stops. You have two options - put washers between the stop and plate to lower them (then, when you find the right height, screw the toestop in with red loctite to fix them in place permanently ... anything short of that will just come loose again), OR save up and buy some reasonable skates.

EDIT: Or, remove the stops and learn to skate NTS style
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Salamanda

My advice - GET DIFFERENT SKATES. Ones that aren't Anarchy anythings. They are deathtraps. There is absolutely NOTHING about those skates that is redeemable. The dozen or so that I have had in my hands, trying to 'fix' for skaters in my league have honestly filled me with horror at their unbelievable poor quality that well and truly crosses the line into dangerous. They will not be doing you any sort of favour.
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Teri Fying
Teri-ffic!

It's your skates. Cheaper skates have cheaper plates and one cheaper option is bell toe stops over adjustable toe stops.

You'll never get the same performance out of a bell to stop -those things are meant for recreational skating, not derby.
Teri Fying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #6
pennydreadful

I skated on the anarchy havocs for the first couple of weeks, and I couldn't do a single thing on those stops!

They were too big for me though, so I would guess that your idea about the position of the front wheels is spot on. When I bought my own skates, the front wheels moved about an inch back and the difference to balance on the toestops was instant and pretty amazing!!

I'm not great yet, but if you feel you can't even stand on them while everyone else is running around, stopping, then it could very well be the skates, not you.
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Offkilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
They're bell stops. You have two options - put washers between the stop and plate to lower them (then, when you find the right height, screw the toestop in with red loctite to fix them in place permanently ... anything short of that will just come loose again), OR save up and buy some reasonable skates.

This is what I did to my girls first skates..they had the same kind of toe stop..They where "Roller Derby" brand skates and from the sound of it comparable to "anarchy"....I placed several large washers ..(we call them fender washers here)..and found a longer bolt to accommodate it also with some lock tight..not the best solution but it worked..I am going to assume that your finances are preventing your from getting better skates...even still look in to it many places have some kind of layaway option also keep checking out Craigslist and other similar websites also maybe put a note on your local league bulletin board..many skates have skate they no longer use and would be willing to sell them cheep to give them a good home...You don't have to pay alot to get better skates..just do some foot work and a little begging....it will be worth it..skating on bad skates makes everything harder.
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Leeroy Jenkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
This.
Leeroy Jenkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toe stops