S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old June 17th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Digz

Question I need some advice

ok, so i want to get into skating as a serious hobby, ive never gone into skating before so its my first venture, and ive been looking at LOADS of different skates and im going absolutely frikkin nuts.
i need somone with a bit of knowledge to steer me right.
from all my research over the last few weeks ive found that:
the most popular starter boot is the Riedell R3. mixed reviews and i dont know whether to try my luck or not, Sims wheels are outdoor wheels, and raydar evos are good for rink skating for grip, i dont know nothing about the plate or truck bar the names and roughly what they look like.
bearings, i know about the bones swiss ones. i think they are my best option and lube would be slick 50.
i mean i dont know... am i a complete loss? lol. please anyone who can help me find / build my first boot id love you forever :P
i dont think im an inline kinda person, im into quads. and as for my skating needs / type, i think im gonna be a mix of like speed and jam skating. like the guys n girls at hyde park every friday in london. ill try and link what ive found so far below, thanks for any advice and tips if you can help.

Digz

Skates :
http://www.rawk.com/product/riedell-...es-black/2266/

Wheels :
http://www.rawk.com/product/sims-str...eels-red/1023/
or
http://www.rawk.com/product/radar-ev...irl-62mm/2473/

Bearings :
http://www.rawk.com/product/bones-ce...bearings/1074/

Lube :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bones-Speed-.../dp/B002NEKUW4
or
slick 50, i cant find the one ive seen before, the only one i find now if for engines. i dont know if its the same. im not sure.
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #2
HK47
Roll Player

Skates - if you got skinny feet the R3s are ok, Rock GT50s if you've got normal width feet - both should be about 105 if you do some shopping around (Everglides, Skate Attack, Ebay ...).

For bearings, Conflict Skates do 16x Enuff Abec5s for 13 - they're actually pretty decent and can be cleaned easily enough. For lube I use clipper oil (cheap on Amazon). Amazing Skates do a set of True outdoor wheels for 16 which skate really nice.

I wouldn't use Radar wheels - better stuff available for that kinda price. Have a look at what places like Billy's Skate & BMX stock, something like Sure-Grip Optics is good for session skating if you can find them cheap.

OR you could have a look at the Rebel Invaders - 200, they come with great wheels and bearings already, nice plate and a proper leather boot

EDIT: Early on, don't worry too much about having fancy gear though - learning to skate doesn't happen overnight so you can start out with cheap stuff and upgrade as you get better
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Digz

Default thanks

thanks for all your tips,
i found the gt 50s, sound like the best bet,
and the wheels i couldnt find, i found suregrip fugatives, they sound good :
http://www.prolineskates.com/acatalo...by_Wheels.html
i found the skates and bearing from the same guy, i dont really understand teh bearings any their ratings, ABEC 9 is the least resistance? i love gliding, so the less resistance the better i feel :P maybe im wrong in thinking that :P
what are these like for speed?
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #4
7Skaters

The ratings on bearings really only matter if you're getting 30,000 RPM's...which is impossible on skates - unless maybe if you're being drug down a runway by a plane about to take off? (Even then, I still don't think they'd spin that fast.)

Generally speaking, don't worry about the ABEC's. An ABEC-1 can work just as well as an ABEC-9...or anything in between.

I'd go for a skate-rated bearing personally (Bones Reds are the least expensive while still providing a good, smooth roll)...but it's really up to you/what you can afford.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #5
cass38a

Where the bearing is made is more important than ABEC. Any bearing from Japan is a better bet than Abec 9 from China.

Rebel invader is the best package skate and is the minimum quality package skate I recommed for anybody, it will last you forever and you will never be held back by it and you will never NEED to upgrade it as your skating gets better.

Enjoy your new adventure.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #6
Salamanda

Unless you're a featherweight I'd avoid a plastic plate!
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #7
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda View Post
Unless you're a featherweight I'd avoid a plastic plate!
Or on a budget, lol
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
OR you could have a look at the Rebel Invaders - 200, they come with great wheels and bearings already, nice plate and a proper leather boot

EDIT: Early on, don't worry too much about having fancy gear though - learning to skate doesn't happen overnight so you can start out with cheap stuff and upgrade as you get better
Additional info on the Rebel Invader for you...

They also come with a decent plate (the Invader) which can be configured for Single or Double action at 45 degrees (the angle of 45 degrees means you'll get a better turning response over other plates, plenty of threads on the forums here discussing the pros/cons of this)) - best of all, they're made of aluminium so will flex a lot less than the El-cheapo plastic plates you get with the lower-end skates.

Good thing about getting a decent plate to start out with is that you can then upgrade your boots as and when you can afford to or the rebel wears out.

As for wheels, you don't mention what your rink surface is like so I'll hold from commenting on what the best indoor wheel would be (except to say that I have heard of people having issues with the Radar ones) but for outdoors most of my friends are running on Roll-line Helium's.

http://www.slapshotuk.com/boots.htm - the wheels are near the bottom of the page.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Digz

thanks alot to everyone for you comments, given me alot of clarity, the indoor surface im on is vinyl wood flooring, so very smooth but sometimes slippery if they havnt cleaned it well.
as for skates, i think im 98% going to go for the Invaders,
the wheels i may even get a selection fo them roll line heliums, the sound good, and the sure grip fugative wheels for grip indoors.
that a good plan??
as for bearings, thanks for clearing the Abec ratings up for me
im now stuck between 3, the bones swiss, which one i still dont know but i read they are good but a little bit more expensive than others.
was looking at bones 8 ball as well, i think thats the name.
or the ones HK47 reccomended, the 16x "Enuff Abec 5's"
as far as everything else i think i know what im getting i just got to figure out the bearings,
again, thanks everyone who helped me reach this desicion, youve just ended a month long headache ive been having when searching for a pair of skates
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz View Post
thanks alot to everyone for you comments, given me alot of clarity, the indoor surface im on is vinyl wood flooring, so very smooth but sometimes slippery if they havnt cleaned it well.
as for skates, i think im 98% going to go for the Invaders,
the wheels i may even get a selection fo them roll line heliums, the sound good, and the sure grip fugative wheels for grip indoors.
that a good plan??
as for bearings, thanks for clearing the Abec ratings up for me
im now stuck between 3, the bones swiss, which one i still dont know but i read they are good but a little bit more expensive than others.
was looking at bones 8 ball as well, i think thats the name.
or the ones HK47 reccomended, the 16x "Enuff Abec 5's"
as far as everything else i think i know what im getting i just got to figure out the bearings,
again, thanks everyone who helped me reach this desicion, youve just ended a month long headache ive been having when searching for a pair of skates
I have a set of the Enuff Abec 5's myself (mine are the ones with blue shields) - I'm not convinced on the quality of them though as I only had them in my skates for 3 months before upgrading to a set of BSB Abec 7's which I'm still rolling on 6 months later, reason for the upgrade was that the Enuff's were getting noisy and felt a little rough even after cleaning.

The fugitives are a good indoor wheel by all accounts, I don't personally roll them as I can only afford Sure-Grip Zoom's at the moment, these grip pretty good and roll well on our rink (pretty much bare maple with some coating).

Now with added Daughter!
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #11
cass38a

The standard rebel invader package from sure grip comes ready to go and all the stuff (wheels, bearings and boots) will last for many years, plate will last forever.

If you are getting a second set of outdoor wheels don't drop too much money on bearings.

I pretty much only skate outddoors and a set of Bones reds has lasted me 2 years and one and a half wheels. I have only cleaned them about 5 times, only when they get wet, and they have just started getting noisy. I have just replaced them with a set of Qube 8 balls, another cheap bearing.

For what it is worth I have 2 sets of skates and both have cost around $1000 a pair, I race Quad skates and spend many $$$$ on wheels and equipment, the last set of outdoor wheels (which got the 8 balls) cost me $200 so I am not opposed to spending money.

$ is much better spent on quality wheels, boots and plates than the bearings
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #12
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysarian View Post
I have a set of the Enuff Abec 5's myself (mine are the ones with blue shields) - I'm not convinced on the quality of them though as I only had them in my skates for 3 months before upgrading to a set of BSB Abec 7's which I'm still rolling on 6 months later, reason for the upgrade was that the Enuff's were getting noisy and felt a little rough even after cleaning.
Sounds like they wear at about the same rate as Kwik bearings then - TBH for outdoors I'd rather have cheap bearings and replace them sometimes than have to worry about damp getting into some Bones Swiss or something ... for indoors, if you have the money, then my choice would be Bones Reds for price/performance; it's annoying that bearings here are so damn expensive
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:31 PM   #13
Digz

Default ok, i think i have it :D

right ive done some research and ive boiled my decision about my first pair of skates to be this:

Skates:
Sure-Grip Rebel Invaders - 225

Bearings
Bones Super Reds - 29

Wheels
Outdoor - Sims Streetsnakes - 45
Indoor - Sure Grip Fugatives - (Inclusive with Rebel Invader price)

Total: 298.40

ive also bought some Suregrip Toestops too, because i use them alot and i dont see the midi one lasting long :P they were 6 for 2.
I'm getting this all from one shop too, so it works out a little cheaper i think,

whadda you guys think? any tweaks? suggestions? or is this is decent setup that will last a while.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #14
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

sounds good.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #15
HK47
Roll Player

Should be able to find Rebel Invaders for 200
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #16
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

I'd probably recommend upgrading the outdoor wheels to a set of Roll-Line Helium's myself (4 more expensive than the Sims you're looking at from Slapshot).

Other gear looks good to me

Now with added Daughter!

Tags
advice, beginner, new skates, riedell