S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old September 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #21
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Hahaha, yeah I knew I would get flack on my set up. Its close to my vert setup and I dont like messing around too much as it works for me, WELL and I'm not messing with something close to perfect! I know I have one of the best skates around.

OK, first of all the weight. I know for a fact that I am the lightest/smallest/skinniest person on this forum. If I am wrong, I would be very happy lol. To do what I need to do now, these skates are not too heavy for me. And I am very skinny now so not much muscle on me. So they should be fine for anyone else. If you are racing, maybe it would be too heavy if your counting the seconds. But I am in it for FUN only. But for aggressive street skating they are perfect. Unfortunately, there are no fly weights that work well if you skate more aggressively. I could bomb down serious hills with these without speed wobbles, etc. if I wanted to. Rollerskate trucks have speed wobbles at higher speeds, I hate it. The weight got heavy with the heavy wheels. I do not notice much as far as weight with the boot, etc.

OK, boot. Not the best boot out there but for $5, I'm stoked! I got these and they came with the old oak street recreational plates that had a metal heel on the plate. So I built one out of wood as there would be no heel then. These are hockey boots and most hockey boots are designed considering the plate is made with a heel. I dont go for looks, I go for function. Its light and works well. I find I need a touch of heel on quads, but its a very low heel. They are too wide for me so I have like 3 insoles in them lol. Add weight yes, but LOTS of cushioning. They are not rigid boots like most hockey boots so I like that as it conforms to my foot. Most hockey boots are made for square feet it seems so my feet wobble around inside. And great ankle support for jumping off curbs and boxes and other aggressive skating stuff. I have never twisted an ankle on these. They conform to my feet and have a hard toe cap. I put gaffers tape on it for toe slides. If I do more aggressive stuff, I use also a toe guard on top but right now I am just cruising, NO aggressive skating til my arm heals!!!! I tape up all my boots as when I skate more aggressively, its very hard on my boots. They would not last but months if I did not. So far all my boots have lasted going on 2 years I think..... And still good!!

The plates are redrilled tracker plates. I have them on my vert skates also. These are balsa wood and sheet metal. The lightest plates you can have except probably skis would be better. These plates are strong and light and out of production. I am soooo lucky to have them!! They are actually 1/4" too long but I had to redrill holes and had to start from one set already drilled in the plate. But they make it almost impossible to fall. I find when I jump off things, its nice to have the wheels further back sometimes too. I think 14" is the highest I've jumped off with these and I've only fallen ONE time skating with these honestly lol. Exept ramps/bowls. Yes, I've even taken them on vert ramps. Just doesnt have a plate on them for stalls, etc. But I use these for Landsdowne and rough surfaces.

Yes, I use toe stops!! And VERY proud of it!!!! So no arguing for me. I have an attachment for the toe stop. Its not light. There are magnesium ones, I have them on my vert skates but I dont think an ounce or 2 will change the way these skate. I am actually very poor so thats why I tend to stick with what I have unless there is a GOOD reason to upgrade. The plate is forward as I find the optimal place for trucks is under the base of my toe. This way I dont worry about hitting stuff like twigs or going over cracks, hitting pens, bottle caps, etc. Its all in the truck placement so that takes away all my weight being up on the front trucks. I still have PLENTY of control over turns, etc. for outdoors. But this puts the stopper more forward, but still I can use it fine!! Get stuck in a bowl and stoppers become your best friend lol. Unless there is a cute skateboarder dude lending you a truck, then I try to smile and be cute lol.

The bases are plastic, lightest out there. The trucks are heavier then rollerskate trucks. They are 3" tracker midtrack trucks. I can go fast and no speed wobbles and VERY stable. There is no such a rollerskate truck that does this. It will also allow me to grind things if ever such an urge comes upon me. Sorry, it might.......so far its been OK. I'm trying to remember I'm old lol.

Bushings, khiro, white, the softest they make. Wish I could go softer lol. Will look into this one day.

Bearing, BSB. They suck but OK for outdoors. When I have money, I'll get some REDS. I dont think for streets more then REDS is needed.

Wheels, already noted.

If I could, I would cut a ski for the plate and use a good Reidell boot and magnesium stop holder, but otherwise its perfect. Actually, boots are heavier then I like, but very supportive and I dont find I need as much ankle movement for street stuff as I do skating ramps/bowls. I could never jump stuff like I do with skateboard shoes as my boots, I would sprain my ankle quick! I'm very short but abnormally lanky, especially now. My feet have very skinny ankles and heels. They need plenty of lateral support. Just cause I skate well on rollerskates does not mean I can balance well on one foot barefoot. There is a reason I hate inlines! I need a good base to stand on for good balance.

OK, hope I answered all the questions. I am a yapper lol.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #22
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Hey, thought I should point out that my outdoor skating style is more a retard on rollerskates as getting from point A to point B fast is not that important. I usually skate parking lots, back alleys and paths around lakes, bike paths/empty streets, etc. I try to skate it forwards, dance, sing with my earphones on, skate it sidestand/sideways, backwards, spinning around, while doing crossovers both sides, jumping on/off curbs, balance on my rear wheels only, chase cars, make up lame games with myself to see how far I can jump off curbs, or jump/spin 180, spin 360 in air or if I can do a handplant on a car or something retarded like that when I'm not injured. Dodge cones and come up with fun things to do around them. I bomb down hills as fast as I can and tumble into the grass when the ladys in strollers dont hear me. So its more like outdoor retard skating with no purpose but fun lol. So far what I do at least isnt illegal!! But I dont think a lightweight bont boot would work well for me!
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #23
Gero

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Hey, thought I should point out that my outdoor skating style is more a retard on rollerskates as getting from point A to point B fast is not that important. I usually skate parking lots, back alleys and paths around lakes, bike paths/empty streets, etc. I try to skate it forwards, dance, sing with my earphones on, skate it sidestand/sideways, backwards, spinning around, while doing crossovers both sides, jumping on/off curbs, balance on my rear wheels only, chase cars, make up lame games with myself to see how far I can jump off curbs, or jump/spin 180, spin 360 in air or if I can do a handplant on a car or something retarded like that when I'm not injured. Dodge cones and come up with fun things to do around them. I bomb down hills as fast as I can and tumble into the grass when the ladys in strollers dont hear me. So its more like outdoor retard skating with no purpose but fun lol. So far what I do at least isnt illegal!! But I dont think a lightweight bont boot would work well for me!

Seems like the same style I use while skating...
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #24
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Hahaha, thought I was the only one who gets "distracted" while going someplace. Sometimes you just find a good spot and/or fun trick to practice.

Hey, I know I"m probably getting to the point of being annoying, but these wheels are so amazing and FAST! Get a little hill, talk about ripping it up. It makes me feel like a super hero of sorts. So fast, so smooth, very maneuverable, light (compared to kryptos definitely!) I am having so much freaking fun on these rollerskates, it should be illegal (not!) If I can feel comfortable with my splint on doing so, might make a movie of me cruising so you can see how fast I can go and what these wheels can easily roll over. But I think carrying the camera will make a crazy bumpy video. I was chasing my shadow today and couldnt win lol. But still, I'm the fastest person on rollerskates I think lol.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM   #25
Clarkeperformance

Default Wheels I know Whats next

Currently available

Radar Pure The last wheels I skated. Loved em. Smooth non jarring ride. Never left me wanting for speed. Did not cone wear. I knew when my bearings needed service from glide change. Have not bought another pair because they failed with big chucks coming of the inside edge of the wheels. 1st pieces less the 40 miles on them. Finally retired them when I could not stand the bump bump thud thud fee of the less the perfect wheel.

Kryotnics Route 70 They are nice and the thane matches my skate style and the surfaces I skate well but they just leave me wanting the old kyptonics with the large inner hubs such as Road Runner. I will buy another pair of Radar Pures before I buy these again.

Not Currently Available

HyperMundo 90 or 84mm?? If I saw them again I would buy them. A little to big for my setups when leaning hard but I could care less. Skated them for a long time. Had to be attentive to rotate them regularly. When all 8 looked like cones I finally retired them. By then they where quite a bit smaller then when new.

Hyper Witch Doctors I do not know if these where intended to be outdoor wheels. The ones I had were big but hard. I knew my bearing needed service because I could feel every bit of grit. And every crack, stone, ant, grain of sand. They were not fast either! Just a rough bumpy ride.

Kryptonics RoadRunner Wore out several pairs of these and their predecessors. Memory says they compared favorably with the Radars; however to much time and wheels between them to be confident of that

Kryptonics Krypto Project II This is what I am Skating on now. Purchased years ago they where stashed nearly new in my box of stuff. Because they are Heavy Rough Riding wheel that I have no love for. I should have thrown them away the first time I took the off.

220 pounds 6' tall dance rec skater.

John
Clarkeperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #26
Rogzilla

I recently got a couple of sets of skate wheels as a result of an eBay transaction. I was going to try them outdoors when the weather gets nicer but it doesn't hurt to ask first:

Airiders - Hubless solid, narrow wheels, with "AIRIDERS" embossed on the inside. Did Google searches for them, found nothing. Anyone know what these are?

Kryptonics Route 59s - From what I can tell these are skateboard wheels, they were on a pair of roller skates but they had metal hubs, looked pretty solid.

Anyone used these for quad skating outdoors?
Rogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #27
Armadillo

Default Never heard of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post
I recently got a couple of sets of skate wheels as a result of an eBay transaction. I was going to try them outdoors when the weather gets nicer but it doesn't hurt to ask first:

Airiders - Hubless solid, narrow wheels, with "AIRIDERS" embossed on the inside. Did Google searches for them, found nothing. Anyone know what these are?

Kryptonics Route 59s - From what I can tell these are skateboard wheels, they were on a pair of roller skates but they had metal hubs, looked pretty solid.

Anyone used these for quad skating outdoors?
I have not heard of or seen those. 59mm is too small for a good outdoor quad skating experience. You can still skate them, but you will not hold speed with them.

Good outdoor wheel needs to be:
1) High rebound formula
2) Big Diameter (>64mm)
3) Big hub size (small hub or no hub wheels tend to be too mushy)
4) ~33-38mm width
5) Hardness 78A-85A

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; February 14th, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #28
Poobah

I bought a set of Sure-Grip Motions, mainly because it'd probably be more fun to skate with the girls in the St. Patty's Day parade instead of "marching." And they're green, which works with the holiday and our league colors, heh.

We have this backup rink that has a fairly irregular (but grippy) surface. One night I decided to put on my outdoor wheels. I figured that their softness might smooth out the various flaws in the floor. And make me skate a fair bit harder.

Note: They did grip, no slide at all. But MAN, I felt every flaw in the floor. Which made me wonder if these outdoors were any good. I started to wonder if maybe one or more of my bearings had a dust guard rubbing or something and I was feeling THAT. After about 45 minutes to an hour of that, I took 'em off and put my green Fugis back on. The wheels didn't really feel any harder, and in fact I think the ride was smoother.

Later on I noticed I could peel a bit of something off the bottoms and sides of the Motions. I wondered if perhaps this was the sealant wearing off? If these wheels are not going to have the level of softness I'd need, I'd better get something different before St. Patty's and find someone to sell/give these to.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #29
Armadillo

Default Ebay has your answer => "Velocity Rage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
I bought a set of Sure-Grip Motions, mainly because it'd probably be more fun to skate with the girls in the St. Patty's Day parade instead of "marching." And they're green, which works with the holiday and our league colors, heh.

We have this backup rink that has a fairly irregular (but grippy) surface. One night I decided to put on my outdoor wheels. I figured that their softness might smooth out the various flaws in the floor. And make me skate a fair bit harder.

Note: They did grip, no slide at all. But MAN, I felt every flaw in the floor. Which made me wonder if these outdoors were any good. I started to wonder if maybe one or more of my bearings had a dust guard rubbing or something and I was feeling THAT. After about 45 minutes to an hour of that, I took 'em off and put my green Fugis back on. The wheels didn't really feel any harder, and in fact I think the ride was smoother.

Later on I noticed I could peel a bit of something off the bottoms and sides of the Motions. I wondered if perhaps this was the sealant wearing off? If these wheels are not going to have the level of softness I'd need, I'd better get something different before St. Patty's and find someone to sell/give these to.
Search Ebay for "Velocity Rage" you cant get a better wheel or a better price for a decent wheel. If you have 7mm axles, you will need 8mm x 7mm sleeves, or you will need a replacement set of 607 bearings 7mmx19mmx6mm VXB Link => http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...Category_Code=
-Armadillo
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #30
Gero

Hey Armadillo,

I've checked ebay and found them for a nice price of 44 bucks but the seller just deliver to USA, not Europe...

Is anybody interested to buy them for me and forward them to me?
Sure... I will pay for it!

Cheers from Germany

Gero
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #31
missgeorgieo

Default Velocity Race

Hey. I'm wanting to get a nice set of outdoor wheels in time for spring & eventually sort a proper outdoor setup for myself. I've been thinking about the Velocity Race wheels, but can't find where to get them from (found a seller on ebay, but they don't post outside USA/Canada). Does anybody know if they're available in the UK?
Also I'd appreciate any general advice on a setup generally for a 105lb girlie on park paths (mostly tarmac). Thanks very much
missgeorgieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #32
Mystic
SWM So Cal

The VR and great if it's smooth. The Krypo 70s if it's rough.

www.socalskatingreviews.com

Last edited by Mystic; March 7th, 2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Oops
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdoor, reviews, wheels