S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old October 25th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #1
online inline

Default Alki Trail (Seattle Washington USA)

skating Alki Beach path in West Seattle region of Seattle this time of year is the way to go, and is pretty much entirely approporiate for the time of year. This trail is just about perfect for winter because it stays dry when other trails in the area will all be wet. It has to do with the weather pattern, being over the Sound tends to keep this area earily dry while other parts of the area are experiencing showers. And when it does rain, it dries out very fast because it the path hugs the beach, and as such, the sea breeze dries the trail out within minutes, and there are no trees which tend to shield ashphalt from the rain and keep the surgaces wet. And this entire trail has street lights along its entire length, which allows use any time of the night.

So in a nutshell, this very scenic trail is a great wet season alternative, and tends to be a moody, picturesque, lonely training ground when you just have to skate, and skate at any cost. It's usually quite windy, always blustery, usually chilly, with enough clueless pedestrians and dog walkers to keep you on guard.

Add to that, the feeling you get when the season is over, you tend to reflect on the last season, and you are laying the very early groundwork for the next one. And you think of all the half a dozen indoor teams in our area, spinning circles in tight quarters with all the other skaters in warm, well lit, dry rinks, and you wonder which part of your personality didn't develop right as a child...

View of Seattle from the trail across Elliot Bay:

a shot of the trail:

shot taken by myself while skating (pardon me if my arms aren't behind my back):

shot of the trail as it wraps around elliot bay:

and chances are always there that the rains will eventually set in, soaking the gear:

So it's time to crank up the heat in the car and enjoy the view on the way home (the land mass jutting out on the left is Alki Beach, where the trail is):

This trail is a lifesaver, a good off season alternative when everything else is getting scattered showers or hasn't had time to dry off, or when your schedule necessitates you skate at night. It's pretty unique, and you completely forget about it the rest of the year (partially becuase it gets crowded in good weather) but it's a skate of last resort when everything else fails...
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Pepper Montana

Online,
It's no cornfield but it will have to do, I guess...
Major scenery envy here! Nice pics!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

O/I you're starting to become less mysterious - a full on face pic! Thanks for resurrecting this thread - I'll be posting my vid from friday here.
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #4
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Ahh a shot of the boat that I take home. It is also where I start my skate every weekday morning. If you draw a line through the boat and Alki and keep going for about 10 miles you'd get to my house.

I enjoyed skating Alki during the Eddy clinic.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #5
online inline

got a sweet little 15 miler in today around sunset in the ever moody, bucolic, Alki Beach trail. Started after work in time to catch an invigorating cup of java at one of the cafes across the street from the trail, and off to put in some solitary miles as the sunset

and skated much of the workout after dark by the light of the streetlights that line the trail, with some very cool views of the 'emerald city' across the Sound:

I don't know. I guess it's alright... if you don't have cable.
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #6
online inline

Got in a very solitary 20 or 25 miles today on my wintertime trail of choice, Alki Beach trail, in all its moody wintertime lonely splendor. Here's the last little bit of the trail as it dumps onto a stretch of road which flanks the Puget Sound (Elliot Bay). On CLear days, the spectacular Olympic mountains just are visible across the Sound.

Picture a tourist area that has closed up for the season and has hunkered down to winds and storms and the occassional bundled up walkers and joggers, huddled to the max. Here's one of the virtually emty shops that flank the trail this time of year:

and i'd hate to take a spill and have to stumble into this place for help:

with some occassional nicely done landscaping that has to prove tough enough to withstand winds like the 25 milers we had today:

I have to say, winter is my favorite time to skate, when we get these blustery cold days and no one in their right mind is out, except those of us that know we're crazy anyway, and we know it's probably better that way.