S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old April 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #21
DtEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
Just to clear something up here, the hub is the plastic part of the wheel the urethane is molded to. Where you say hub, I think you mean bearing spacer.

Now, bearing spacers are either;

- Floating spacer - 8mm internal diameter, 10mm wide and are used on skates which have an 8mm axle.
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SFBS

- Sleeve spacer - 6mm internal diameter, 24mm wide and are used on skates which have a 6mm axle.
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SBS

The overall width of the bearing/spacer assembly should be 24mm => 2 x 7mm wide bearings and 10mm of space.

It sounds like the skates you want to cannabilise have sleeve spacers on a 6mm axle. From memory, your Pilot 9's use an 8mm axle and a floating spacer. If that is the case, you can use the 608 bearings, but you'll need to get some floating spacers.
Your ascertainment of the situation is absolutely correct. I did mean the bearing spacers instead of "hubs", and it looks like I would need to pick up some floating spacers were I convert to the 608 standard. Fortunately, they don't seem very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
There is no real problem with the 688 standard, just there is no major advantage to using it over a 608. The load/life rating of a 608 is greater than that of a 688, but they are both overkill for most skaters. From the brief calculations I have done using SKF's bearing torque calculator, 688 have a slightly lower rolling resistance too. However, the industry finally realised after about 4 years that consumers were confused and supporting two standards was pointless. (At one point there was three standards, as K2 used 698's, which were half way between 608's and 688's.)

You can continue using your 688's as long as you want, so long as you can get 688 hubbed wheels. You can also get converter kits to use 688's in a 608 wheel, but that's kind of pointless going forward!
That's pretty good news. It seems like I should keep the 688 bearings stock to these skates (which sources have noted to be pretty good) until they phase out 688-hubbed wheels, or find the selection restricting.

Thanks for all the help!
DtEW is offline   Reply With Quote