S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 10th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Bont hubs.

Are you still loving your royal assassins over a comparable hardness RBT?

Im aware your opinion on spacers , but any idea on the bearing seat width of the bonts?

RBT'S have a seat width of right at .285 thousandths. Since the bonts have more narrow bearings, I was wondering if their bearing seats are wider.

I hope to make a trip soon to Neville
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Are you still loving your royal assassins over a comparable hardness RBT?

I think that is fair to say.

Im aware your opinion on spacers , but any idea on the bearing seat width of the bonts?

No but I imagine I get the numbers.

RBT'S have a seat width of right at .285 thousandths. Since the bonts have more narrow bearings, I was wondering if their bearing seats are wider.

As in distance between the bearings??

I hope to make a trip soon to Neville

Great, hope to see ya soon.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Yea distance between 2 installed bearings. Bearing seat-the lip that the outer races sits against. The width of it. Heh, you know me and my spacers, looking for a average spacer width. Getting a feel of what I'm in for when ordering from Mr. Corey.

Since those bonts use micros I wondered if the seat was really wide, like 10mm or greater since the bearings were really skinny.

Finding a wider spacer than .400 might be a PITA

Hows julian(Fish) doing in quads?
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Yea distance between 2 installed bearings. Bearing seat-the lip that the outer races sits against. The width of it. Heh, you know me and my spacers, looking for a average spacer width. Getting a feel of what I'm in for when ordering from Mr. Corey.

Why not get up here and try mine before you spring for the big bucks.

Since those bonts use micros I wondered if the seat was really wide, like 10mm or greater since the bearings were really skinny. Finding a wider spacer than .400 might be a PITA

Nothing a lathe and a piece of rod cannot solve.

Hows julian(Fish) doing in quads?
We are soon to build him an interesting pair. He borrows mine frequently.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
We are soon to build him an interesting pair. He borrows mine frequently.
Oh yea? Awesome.

Jam skate style or a bont speed like boot? My vanilla is a size 10, we were gonna be up around the 19th this month but a graduation came up.

Dunno what size foot hes got but we have a few different size skate between our usual crew of skaters and some gear if hes interested in trying various setups. I know you also have a ridiculous amount of ready to use skates.

I like my RBT'S... BUT... the grip is very on/off at some rinks.. Almost like the urethane is too thin. Great smooth wheels though, but I dont see them being as great as one would expect. If you come from a thicker urethane wheel. It almost like the thiker thane heels are easier to hook back up if I run a no spacer setup.

What duros do you have in the bonts?

I'll install and fix some bearings in those RBT'S soon. Maybe some of your skaters or yourself would be interested in running them with the nuts loose then torqued down. See how slide grip and hookup varies.

All the best. Ill let everyone know when we are up that way again.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Oh yea? Awesome.

Jam skate style or a bont speed like boot? My vanilla is a size 10,

He wears 9s as do I. It is a sneaker build.

we were gonna be up around the 19th this month but a graduation came up.

graduations do that.

Dunno what size foot hes got but we have a few different size skate between our usual crew of skaters and some gear if hes interested in trying various setups. I know you also have a ridiculous amount of ready to use skates.

Too many sk8s still are not enough.

I like my RBT'S... BUT... the grip is very on/off at some rinks.. Almost like the urethane is too thin. Great smooth wheels though, but I dont see them being as great as one would expect.

You must have found some crap floors. I have several derby sk8rs that switch between 101 and 97s.. A couple of them have 92s for pushers.

If you come from a thicker urethane wheel. It almost like the thiker thane heels are easier to hook back up if I run a no spacer setup.

It has much more to do with suspension adjustment than any wheel tricks. Most of the afore mentioned sk8rs run
Avengers on finger tight blues.

What duros do you have in the bonts?

All sorts of them. Some you can get readily, some not yet (if ever) commercially available,

I'll install and fix some bearings in those RBT'S soon. Maybe some of your skaters or yourself would be interested in running them with the nuts loose then torqued down. See how slide grip and hookup varies.

What duro?? I'm on 101s mostly. I'll supply the 7mm bearings..

All the best. Ill let everyone know when we are up that way again.
By all means, you and your crew are always welcome.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:55 AM   #7
PappaWheelie

The Bont Assasins I bought from Doc are, without a doubt, my favorite wheels I have rolled yet.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

My RBT'S are 88A.

Anyone wanting to run them will need sleeves if using 7mm axles. I'll probably do an install when I get home. I'm going to try the Qube 8balls in this setup. Even though I dont like the inner raceway.

Yea we dont have recoated floors around here. well on the other hand we gotta have relentless grip so when oblivious skaters dart in front of us stopping or swerving is something we have to be able to do. We tend to skate a lot harder @ our rink than we did during our stop at Neville. Smaller rink, more people, increased "comfort" zone since we are always there. It can get pretty damn crazy

Id love to roll some assassins when we make our next stop but I only use 8mm.