S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 16th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #981
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Sunday p.m. with the kids

The afternoon session starts at 2:00 p.m. and runs for four hours. As I pulled into the parking lot, it was raining and there were very few cars. Inside was not busy either. So for the first hour it was fairly open floor. It takes me awhile to get warmed up and after that I can skate faster, harder, and with more precision. So I had a little while after the warm up to enjoy the sparsely populated rink floor. After that, there was a steady stream of parents and kids coming for the fun and exercise and getting in from the rain. It got rather busy, but even so - the floor would open up areas occasionally. Then I could crank it up to a feverish pace.

My balance seemed to be better than usual today. So I did rip around the floor as often as the opportunity occurred. I got a bit carried away and nearly went down, but managed to recover (it was kind of ugly) without going down.

After about 3 1/2 hours (with time out for kiddie specials) of skating, my body started signaling it was time to leave. But just before I left a little girl of about ten tried to get my attention. Since the music was loud, her voice was soft, and my hearing is not what it used to be - I had to lean down to hear what she said. She asked how old I am and my name. I told her and she shared her name. She said "you are the best skater here" (which I know is not true). So I thanked her and skated away before collapsing from exhaustion.

It was great to see how many parents were there skating with their children. Some were very good skaters, a few were good skaters, but most were shaky skaters. But they were there enjoying an activity with the kids. That is one of the best things about this sport. Kids and parents can have a good time and do it together. It can help create strong lifetime bonds(I skate with two of my middle age kids each week).

Keep rollin

p.s. I did a lot of braking for kids today. No collisions, no harm, no fouls, just a great day!
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #982
Derrick

Default 4 hour sunday at Roller Dome North

After four hours of late night basketball saturday till 2 am I went ahead and skated four hours sunday. Always a great session. Fraid summers comming and sundays will be done for at most area rinks.

Danced for the entire time. I always pay for pizza, then I don't stop to eat any.

Hosted limbo again and taught some arebesquing. Talked to a bunch of the regulars about this and that.

Learning to get the spread eagle back edges with skates all but touching. I like those back edged glides around the corner. I can do it either way. I'm a bit better clockwise but sesssion forces me to go the other way most of the time.

Jumps good spins ok. Got a little better at the skating line dance kind of stuff, but I'm still pretty poor at in place skating.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #983
Derrick

Default last dance thursday at eastlake

Last of this session for the season. Just me and a couple people that work there. The owner envited me to stay and play derby with the derby girls. He was just kidding. I know when I'm outclassed. So I told everyone my wife was wainting in the parking lot for me. Which she was. So I did not learn how to play derby yesterday.

My wife will be off work all weekend so I'm skating tonight instead of Sunday. I've kind of dissed my local rink at the end of this season. Their sessions are too short for me anymore.

More skating fun tonight. Yea!
Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:40 PM   #984
Derrick

Default Fridays getting lighter at Rollerdome North

Paid for both session totaling 5 hours I did 4.5. I'd do 5 but I used to work here and I know how rude it is to skate right up until closing on the last session of the night. Friday nights get a bit slower as school winds up, lots of regulars but that doesn't quite fill the place. But it's nice cause the kids are much looser and not so self conscious.

Story 1
So there is this thin young woman, about 19 I suppose. She has been skating Friday nights since I can remember. Every Friday she skates very fast, very smooth, emotionless. Skates from open to close as her parents watch on. Sometimes the parent do odd jobs for free at the rink because they spend so much time there. Folding fliers or putting strings on glow sticks. Lately, the young woman does join the shuffle line from time to time.

And there is Randy tall thin and the best skater in the rink. About 17 and the grandson of the original owner. Good at spins and toes and anything you throw at him really. Very nice young man. He always says ,"hey" and will show me new tricks if hes got them.

Yes this is friday night at the rink, but not every story is about the drama of two kids hooking up. Besides, Randy hooked up with a different regular. No, this story is about me, as usual, hey it's a blog; geez I'm such a jerk.

Anyway, I'm going round turn three and do a nice waltz jump, land it, present, glide then booble around on one foot slip and fall. The young woman laughs, not directly at me like, "ha ha you fell", but a genuine giggle. This is the first emotion I've ever seen presented by this gal and I've seen her once a week for a year. Randy laughed my name at me. I said it was a pretty good jump anyway. He wasn't convinced.

Story 2
So this there is a stoic young man perhaps 21 and not as skinny. I've met his dad he has the same quiet yet intimidating posture. The young man prides himself on being a very fast shuffle skater . And he is. The only thing I can get him to speak of is his Pontiac, cause I have one too, or his Vanillas, which I don't particularly care for, but he likes them. Seems he also hooked up with a rink regular.

Well... to keep the parallelism, since I seem to be describing people by weight, it has nothing to do with the story, so at the risk of being rude... she was right between her boyfriend and the skinny chick. So just to be clear its The skinny chick, then Randy,then Randy's girlfriend, then the stoic guys girlfriend, then me, then the stoic guy, then the stoic guys dad. That will take us from about 105 to 300 lbs. We don't do kilos here.

But this story is not about any of that, its about...... well me. I really should get therapy, but that might take rink time.

So, I arabesque around on a couple of songs that cry, "arabesque me". Also, skating in the style of an art skater (not their skill, just style).

The new girlfriend of the stoic dude says I can do that ballet stuff. And arabesques past me. I think she may have been making fun of me so I get a free comment on her arabesque. It was actually quite good, not quite as high as mine, she can't do backward, spiral or switch feet. But I think she could do any of it with 20 min practice.

But she did say ballet stuff, and I was quite flattered, that's exactly what I was going for. I don't think she really art skates or she would of said "art" not "ballet". Anyway, I skate a song as my own personal interpretation of that song. I'm not serious, so you can't make fun of me (I suppose there's a limit to that).

Anyway, she kept taunting me with arabesquing by throughout the evening. By the end I thought it was quite funny. I don't really know if she was laughing at me or with me but it really doesn't matter.

Epilog:

All the employees and regulars were glad to see me. Even the owner/manager came out to watch me skate for a while. She stopped me and gave me a free skating passes when I left.
Old May 27th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #985
Derrick

Default Adult night at Rollerdome North

Not my usual fare, but it seemed diffrerent on thursday. More over 40's than usual but the crowd was really pretty light. A lot of weaving from outside to inside and back. Had to watch out but had a really good time.

My spin was on, I even got a correctly eneterd IB. Did some shuffle, but tried to focus on form not speed. So I didn't keep up with the line. The line on adult night goes really fast and I can't keep up anyway.

They did play a slow artsy kind of song and I was in my element then. The DJ said, "go Derrick". That was great. The highlight was I am finally able to hit outside edge spread eagles with my heels together, wither direction. That's a great glide.

After session a guy out side said," Good Skating". That was a real compliment as I consider most of this crowd better skaters than me.

Thime went so fast, I'm used to doing 3 to 4 hours anymore and this is just a two hour session.
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:04 AM   #986
Derrick

Default Race Day at the rink

The Dj was bored, it was a very light crowd. I practiced a lot of waltz-jumps and half-mapes. Did the Hokey Pokey test, "turn yourself around" is a two foot 360. Well in my case in t was a 270, which is deadly at speed. So I wont try that yet. I found later off-skate if I take off and land at the sqme knee bend I can come all the way around.

It was fun anyway. Next up Thursday adult night again.

edit-- I should explain the title, the "race" is the Indy 500 which is why the crowd was so light.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:08 PM   #987
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Family Night

In Texas we have been receiving a lot of rain. Tonight was no exception. I figured the rink might be busy because it was the last day of school and parents might take the kiddos skating. But since nature decided to drench us with water and lighting playing about, I figured the families might say home.

I was kind of right on both issues. There were a lot of people because of the last day of school, but not nearly as many as I have seen in similar situations. So, I figure the storms kept a lot more families at home.

The session was quite busy most of the time, but enough opportunity to skate more freely(read that as with less caution and in-trepidation). While I was doing my thing a father asked me "how do you do that?". My off the cuff answer was, "with practice. Lots of practice".

I really like skating with the kids, but they do present their own set of problems. The rink had a backward skate which turned into a reverse backward part way through. By that time, most of the learning backward skaters had left the floor. So I began to speed up some. Now the rink turns the lights down to very low levels for the backward skate. So the picture now is low light, more speed, and less traffic. As I am building more speed I glimpse a small shirt that glowed under the ultraviolet lights(THANK GOODNESS). I can stop while going backward very quickly and I had to then. The little boy in the bright shirt went zooming by me as he skated away going the the wrong direction for the current skate. That one made me leave the floor until the special was over and the lights returned to normal.

But it was still a fun session! Albeit a session filled with thrills provided by the short skaters. By the way - did I mention? I BRAKE 4 KIDS (literally).

Keep rollin
Old June 4th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #988
Derrick

Default Thursday night adults only at the Roller Dome

Not my usual fare, but now it is. This will be my summer thursay session. Getting to like it a lot actually.

Poor old man broke a hip. He was tall and using a skate trainer! They really need to have limits in those rentals. Or a discalaimer, "If you are too big and you need this it will make you fall down. No really, every time, just plan on being broken." If your small you get grace: when it slides out from under you, you just let go or adjust because you really didn't need it anyway.
Old June 4th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #989
Derrick

Default 30th Anniversary Skate at Happy Valley

Butch and Amy have owned the rink 30 years.

Hadn't been to my local rink for a while but I couldn't miss this. Even Zeke (youngest boy)went. He finally out grew his skates for good, too broke to get anything to replace them. I need to find a way to help him.

First hour was 80s in honor of the anniversary. The Dj though 80s meant hair bands and Michael Jackson. Followed by mor Michel Jackson. now, I like Michael, but I'm a bit moonwalked out.

They had a few foxtrotters on a foxtrot only dance. I had no partner thoguh so I couldn't try it.

Great night!

Heading for Lima Oh to finisha trifecta in skating. My wife is even comming today. I have to hold her up when skating. Oh well, it's all good.
Old June 5th, 2016, 08:33 PM   #990
Kassus

Default Twin Lakes

Our crew has been making the 30 mile (each way) trip to a rink in the next state over for about two months now and I'm really enjoying it. The floor is really small, but it's a hardwood floor and I learned how to skate on a wood floor so I'm really comfortable skating there... so much so that when we go to Twin Lakes, I'll swap out my blue Cannibals that I normally wear at my home rink for some harder durometer Labedas. They play the music to the crowd (no requests, but none needed) and they are very considerate of us older folks. They opened up the large back doors and put a large fan out on the floor by the door for us. Last week they even started asking our names. I'm really happy with this place. Small rink and very small town but they have made us all feel very welcome.

Anyway. The owner's grandson was out on the floor last night and he was trying to catch up to the daughter of one of our crew... and he was skating waaaay too fast for his ability. On the curve, he wiped out right in front of me and I had nowhere to go. It was either definitely wreck or try to jump him and maybe not wreck. I jumped him fine but my landing was less than stellar and I ate the floor pretty hard. Knocked the wind out of me but once again my $20 wrist guards saved the day. I got back up and did slow'ish laps for about ten minutes and then was more or less right back at it. Everyone (even the regular teens there) stopped to ask if I was okay. A little sore, but nothing to stop me for the night. I am just so very impressed with this place... everyone seems to want to make everyone feel welcome there, and there are a lot of rinks that don't do that.

One of my crew and I are going to check out their Church Night a week from tomorrow and see what it's about. Haven't been there except on a Saturday before so it will be interesting to see the different vibe that night.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #991
Derrick

Default Narcissistic day at Edgewood Skate Arean, Lima Oh

Finally made it to Lima, and my Wife came with me. The rink was NICE, all 70's looking decore. But somehow not rundown or faded in the least. Clean big floor. Skated so nice. Only the restrroms and perhaps carpet gave it away that 1975 had passed many years ago.

The artistic side of the enterprise was not waht I expected. Just one coach for individual lessons in the fall. The owner had no information on the coach whatsoever?? She said come back and she'll have contact info. I hope someone gets me some lessons for my August birthday. I'd really like to clean up some three turns, spins and a gain a couple of jumps. May be a bit more than I can afford really.

My wife only skated a couple of songs but had a good time. I needed to hold her up most of the time. But she made it around by herself and they had a beginners rink. mI haven't seen a beginners rink since I was a beginner.

Oh yea, They had MIRRORS! I love mirrors. On two whole walls. Good thing about mirrors is, well..... I can seee myself"

After we went to Kewpee Burger. A local radio station near our home town, 2 hours away said it was one of the top five burgers in the region. We told the workers how highly recommended they came. They didn't care one bit. It was like they didn't even want to work in a burger joint. Go figure.

So my review:

The bugers were top notch
No onion rings
Fries were great
The malt was more like a frosty, not good.
Coffe excellent, but I like diner style coffe not Starbucks
Pie excellent I had peacan.

Was an awesome time, skating kids were great to talk to, got to help some new backwards skaters as well.

Last edited by Derrick; June 7th, 2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old June 8th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #992
Derrick

Default Family Night at Roller Dome North

What a fabulous night. I jumped myself silly. The regulars wanting to know my name and got good compliments. People comming for advice. Narcissistic Heaven. Ok, I'm not really that narcissistic but I do fake it for the dance floor.

And I still can't keep up with the shuffle line. I don't really get the dance step or how they stay in sync. Three of them even synced their mowhaks. They are really good.
Old June 10th, 2016, 05:59 AM   #993
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Family night

School is out and the skate session got really busy after the first half an hour. There was a continual line of families arriving and an hour into the 2 1/2 hour session the floor was quite crowded. I just did my thing, but slower and more carefully. I made a lot of very quick stops to keep the short skaters safe!

Toward the end of the session a lot of families had left. So the floor was more open an I was able to skate with more abandon. Read that as faster and with more style. But a session several months ago a little boy of 6 or less told me I was too old to skate while I was lacing up. So tonight when a young lady (who is a pretty good skater) told me I was "very good", I thanked her and smiled the rest of the session(not quite kaput yet).

Keep rollin
Old June 17th, 2016, 03:59 AM   #994
Derrick

Default Fun Family Tuesday at Roller Dome

I was just whooping it up all session. Skates just felt perfect. I have been doing a lot of off skate practice with 4 lbs weights on each ankle. It really paid off in feel at session. Spins and jumps were good to.

So session was over and the DJ announced "The skating floor is now closed". I told all the people around me that that was the saddest thing I'd ever heard. The kids thought I was funny, the adults just starred at me. He also announced that sunday was 1-5 with free pizza. I wanted to say, "You know the only thing better than 1-5 sunday?" "1-6 sunday and who eats the pizza?" But the adults weren't in the mood (my names blurry face and I care what you think - 21 pilots)

So as we were leaving they gave out pencils which I have a pleathera of (used to work the prize counter (no I didn't steal them)(stole a toe stop once but that's an old story)) I said "another pencil that's my favorite prize". A kid starred at me in amazement. The Dj pointed out that the kid was amazed that anyone could get that excited over a pencil. I said, "It says ROLLER DOME ON IT!"

Awesome time!
Old June 19th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #995
Derrick

Default Friday Night at the Dome

Not too much time to chronicle, getting ready for a camping adventure with the fam. My right foot spins were off so I did left. I know I shouldn't turn it around, but my left was the better on friday.

My spins tend to be like my golf and bowling, I start at my best then something goes wrong and I keep making the worng adjustments and get worse and worse as the days goes by.

But spinning I can do both directions, so if I suck I just use the other foot, and it's like my first one of the night.

Strangely my jumps are the opposite they start sucking and get better and better. I did a couple of bad side waltzes too.

There was a gal who skates very often and is pretty good who fell backwards and bumped her head. She was holding her head on the sidelines. I thought she was one of the tough nut kinds, so I figured she was really hurt. I asked to see her pupils and I could see both with her hair style. Pupils were the same size and eventually it was obvious she was milking the drama so I skated on.

Oh I did do the right hook into the basketball bucket. But the kids were not getting where I was making the shot from so they were kinda in the way so it was just a little jump. I did a much better one during the basketball song though.
Old June 21st, 2016, 11:04 PM   #996
Kassus

Default Skate World and Twin Lakes

Skate World on Friday night. Average crowd for this time of year. Lot of beginners and chatty teenagers along the wall. SF#2 loves riding the wall and so do I, but I get skittish when they start closing the gap... brought that to his attention after a shuffle line and he said the words I wanted to hear; that he'd been doing shuffle lines for a long time and that he ALWAYS takes into consideration the number of people behind him and would not try to make the gap unless he was certain I could make it too. Yay!

Twin Lakes on Saturday night. Different (harder) wheels for the wood floor there and we almost had a pile-up.. girl about 12-13 cut right in front of us and I went to the outside by squeezing through on one leg, SF#2 had to bark them behind me, and our other friend had plenty of room so she just went around. I'm REALLY digging the wood floor at Twin Lakes - easier to stop quickly when needed and much grippier, even on my harder wheels. I'm starting to get spoiled there... too bad they close during the summer.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #997
Derrick

Default Battle Scars at Roller Dome North

I was shuffling and tried to get around an inexperienced skater. I'm not the fastest shuffler and I don't really get how they stay in sync, but I try. I think the inexperienced skater was attempting to shuffle but she was quite slow. But anyone who tries to expand their skating skills is all right by me. Anyway, I clipped her skate and I went down forward. My wrist guards actually smoked and let off a burning plastic smell. She was totally fine, didn't fall, and skated on.

The Dj asked if I was ok. I just got a knee and both elbows a little banged up, wrist guards saved the day again, no worries. The DJ said she was all over the floor and wasn't looking where she was going all evening. He was going to have a talk with her. I told him it was my fault, which it was. She probably swerved to the outside at the last moment but I shouldn't expect her to know the slower skaters to the inside rule. I skated up and apologized. I said I was glad I went down and not her or I would of felt really bad. She was glad I went down and not her as well or she may have felt really pissed.

The DJ is also the speed coach, he is the fastest skater I know (Well I never saw Mort go full out). Another regular guy was flirting with a new regular gal after session. My gear was in between the flirters. So I was kinda stuck there. The guy said how tired he was but at least he was keeping up with Brian in the shuffle line. Well at this point I was oblivious to the flirting and was like (well, I actually said,) "Uhhhhhhhhh, no you wern't." He's faster than me, but he was in no way keeping up with Brian. So he started showing off his really nice skates, but made some reference to his current wheels as to why he was slower than Brian. I told him that if I went as fast around the corners as Brian that my art wheels would make a cool scoot noise then I would scream like a little girl. No one cared, not even me really, I'd of liked to have taken it back. Actually, one can go fast on art wheels without making them scoot. That's when I noticed he was showing off for the newcomer and I should shut up. I'm a bit slow.

My people skills are better than ever, but every once in a while..........
Old June 24th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #998
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Adult night Wednesday/family night Thursday

This is a 2fer. Wednesday evening I skated with two of my daughters and my eldest grand daughter. What makes this experience unique, one daughter was in from Florida and my grand daughter hadn't skated with me since she was a kid(more than 15 years ago). Both had not skated in a very long time, but they proceeded with caution and did a respectable job with out falling. We were fortunate that the adult night skate crowd was smaller than usual(summer offers so many alternative diversions). Great time for all!

My normal skating routine takes me to family night too(I like to skate with the short people). My 5th grade grand daughter wanted to go with me and of course I was more than happy to accommodate her. Now the crowd here was a different matter. There were more than the usual number of people in the building. The rink floor was very busy, the isles were busy with spectators and skaters, and the snack bar/game area was very busy. But we had a good time and just before closing(30 minutes), many had left and I could skate with more gusto.

Keep rollin
Old June 27th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #999
Derrick

Default Jumpy and Spinny Sunday at Roller Dome North

Super light crowd due to summer. Great chance to prqctice jumps and spins. I did my first rolling 345 (360 would of been better) . A liitle bett r rolling backwards thwn forwards. And tried full mapes a few times. I kept slipping off the toe stops. Doesn't matter for a half mapes, but I need to hit it solid for my mapes. A 3/4 mapes is bad mubo jumbo; leads to falling sidesways. I have a different toestop that I will try next time. And lower it even more.

My IB was actually working on the left foot. Only issues is I was slightly on my toes. Not up to the stops but I need to rock over just a bit better. Sometime sessions my right foot is better sometimes my left. Still just getting about 3 rotations though. I think that has to do with the position of my foot.

So I went to get an after session slushy. I left 1/2 hour before the 4 hour session was over. I saw the red was not frozen but the blue was. I don't like my slushy to get all ice and run out of juice. There was a new young woman at consessions. I asked, "Is the red cold?" She said, "Yea, it's cold, just not frozen." "Perfect give me about half red and half blue." The mixture looked light brown in the rink lighting. So, I said, "Oh, a beautiful light brown." The young woman was grinning more than the comment warrented. I looked up and notice she was also, well..... light brown. I really did mean the slushy but I think I made her day. Fortunately, she did not call the creeper police on me.
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:49 PM   #1000
Derrick

Default Family Day at Roller Dome North

And the family came. Four out of five anyway, my oldest had to work. It was soooooooo busy. Kids didn't like the music or the loudnes thereof. But we had a good time. Not much room for jumping wnd spinning. Skated my wife around for about 30 mi utes of the session. She doesn't skate alone yet, when it's busy.

Zeke said the waltzes that I did get to do looked good. If I suck he would tell me. Gabby likes to go fast but is a bit shy, so she doesn't join the shufflers. I told her the line was for everyone just join up. Especially at Roller Dome the DJ's lead shuffle lines and the rink demands thwt they are there to entertain. It works out very well. They match their speed to the crowd. If you want super fast shuffle come adult night. Learning to shuffle go family night.

Last edited by Derrick; June 29th, 2016 at 05:14 PM.