S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 7th, 2018, 08:53 PM   #21
kcire10

Skatervideoguy... Nice videos! You do the 1 foot toe spins very smoothly. I usually don't stretch my leg out as much and generate momentum with my arms. I usually hold my right leg higher, then bring my arms in and leg down when I begin to slow to maintain the spin.

The 3rd video, the guy has some nice low spins into the leg kickouts. I do those sometimes. As for the close-foot spins he's trying to do, all he has to do is hold his right toes off the ground some and he'll be able to maintain a smoother, more balanced spin for more revolutions. Holding his hands up a little higher and maintaining them will help his balance too. Little trick I learned.

The 4th video I see he's doing the toe spins into low spins and into quicker toe spin. Nice!

The last video of the guy with the toe spins. Nice!

I learned that good toe work helps with your skating in general. I learned good balance by picking 2 songs and skating around the cones for the entire time doing different moves and spins on my toes. Now, I'm able to go into a two-foot toe spin and then lift one leg up into a one-foot toe spin. I'm almost there but not quite to my liking. The next move I want to learn is going into a low spin on my toes on one foot. Saw some guy at the rink do it Sunday.
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 09:02 PM   #22
kcire10

Skatervideoguy.... I didn't notice that you have toe stops on. I don't have any toe stops as I took them off and replaced them with toe plugs (which I've since run down).
Old August 7th, 2018, 09:45 PM   #23
Ancient1

KCIRE10,

I think you will find the 220 a more stiff boot but it will also feel like you are more in control. I used one for several years. Good boot for freestyle and dance.

I also suggest you use toe stops for any type of free style. Dance and Figures you can go without stops and only use plugs (and probably should)... Learning jumps and spins for competition will give you a feeling of accomplishment that very few have enjoyed.
Old August 7th, 2018, 09:50 PM   #24
Ancient1

Just a side note: I learned my first IB upright in the clockwise direction before I started taking free style lessons. Before I quit a long time ago, I could do all my single jumps in both CW and CCW position (with exception of the 1.5 jumps which are also considered in the single jump category). BUT ... BUT ... I learned them after I learned to do them all in the CCW direction first and then learned the double jumps. Once you get good enough to know proper technique then you can over-ride your muscle memory enough to do the jumps in the opposite direction.
Old August 8th, 2018, 07:17 AM   #25
Oicusk82huh

Ancient1, your'e modest, the spins look great. Kcire10, WHAT! One foot toe, low spin?????? Olympic time! Was it Branch Brook? I've been trying to pick up one leg during a toe spin, but DAMN! Not going so great. I'm really working on all my spins. Thanks for the hand between the leg advice on the low toe spin. I'm gonna head south this weekend and hit Hot Skates, maybe do the class, see if I can drag some people down there.

I started sit ups and push ups for strength. I think it's helping. I'm continuing to attempt doing spins in both directions because I'm not really too concerned with jumping (I want to preserve my joints as long as possible).

You guys all appear to be mature. How are your joints holding up? Any advice?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:48 AM   #26
Ancient1

I assure you that there is no modesty there. It really is poor for competition standards and for my standards and that is the truth.

After years of low exercise I am working on getting my health back so I can skate again. I started back about 10 years ago for a little while and almost immediately broke my arm in 2 places. I could barely do single jumps and one spin but it was very dangerous... So what I am trying to say is: Mostly my issue is gravity and what happens when I hit the ground. With proper technique the joints were ok on skates. Proper techniques lessens the stress on the joints and bones.

As for specifically how are my joints in my mid 60's... At about 270 lbs my joints are fine for short runs (less than a minute per sprint) and good for normal movements (bending, walking, twisting, jumping, etc). It's falling when I do something stupid and breaking a bone due to my weight that is a problem. But I do walk 2 miles a day and really getting my heart rate up. Sometimes I put in a sprint while walking. But overall I am very happy with the way my body has held up after I have neglected it for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Ancient1, your'e modest, the spins look great. Kcire10, WHAT! One foot toe, low spin?????? Olympic time! Was it Branch Brook? I've been trying to pick up one leg during a toe spin, but DAMN! Not going so great. I'm really working on all my spins. Thanks for the hand between the leg advice on the low toe spin. I'm gonna head south this weekend and hit Hot Skates, maybe do the class, see if I can drag some people down there.

I started sit ups and push ups for strength. I think it's helping. I'm continuing to attempt doing spins in both directions because I'm not really too concerned with jumping (I want to preserve my joints as long as possible).

You guys all appear to be mature. How are your joints holding up? Any advice?
Old August 8th, 2018, 02:02 PM   #27
kcire10

Ancient1.... I've heard they're a great boot. As I was leaving work yesterday the lady called me and told me they completed my boots early and they're already shipped. Tracking said they should be here Saturday.

My jumps aren't that good and this guy at the rink told me because I don't have toe stops. He gets so high and spins like 3 complete times before coming down. I get one good spin and come down hard. Most times I catch myself with my other leg.
Old August 8th, 2018, 02:23 PM   #28
Ancient1

since your friend is doing triple jumps (3 revs in the air) then he/she has a lot of experience and I suggest you value the input. In my competition years I had a few triple jumps but mostly doubles. My triples were hit and miss but all my doubles were hit 90% plus. Now I am happy to just do a single.

So I concur with your friend doing the triples and get the toe stops... Not only are they good for free style, but they are great for footwork also. It is amazing how many things you can do with a toe stop other than just stop. In my spin that I did, I was able to do what is called a TOE PIVOT in both outer and inner directions after the spin because of a toe stop. The toe stops gives you much more than you probably know and they are also a safety measure. But for sure, you need them for jumps...
Old August 8th, 2018, 02:24 PM   #29
kcire10

Oicusk82huh... Yea, his spins do look crisp!

Yep, this was at Branchbrook. One guy that comes to Branchbrook does it from a low two-foot toe spin position, raises up a bit, and throws his right foot behind his left foot (spinning CCW), and balances it. What I noticed was they both position on the toe of the skate and 2 front wheels. The guy Sunday night spun 5 times doing so. His balance is crazy because I've tried it and couldn't hold the spin.

Picking up one foot on a toe spin takes some practice as well because your spin has to be near perfect and picking your foot up has to be a slower motion where you raise it to a certain point and hold. What I suggest is perfect doing toe spins in the direction you are most comfortable and then learn to spin the other way. Don't worry about that sort of toe spin until you get your regular spin perfect. You can't do too many things at one time because it will take you twice as long to learn.

As for my joints, I'm actually feeling a lot better than I used to. Skating is a better alternative for me than running or playing a sport. Years of basketball made my knees achy and weak but it seems as if skating has strengthened the muscles around my joints and I don't have knee issues like I used to. Plus, I've toned up a bit, my stamina is back, I meet nice people and it's fun!
Old August 8th, 2018, 02:28 PM   #30
kcire10

Ancient1.... Come to think about it, you are right! I've noticed that really good skaters at the rink have toe stops but I never put the 2 together. This is something for me to look into now.

Thanks for the info!!!
Old August 8th, 2018, 02:32 PM   #31
Ancient1

you are very welcome. Just remember to get round and not square or some strange shape. You need even surface to do most things. Don't get cheap either, they fall apart to fast or could break. I have had cheap and I had to go back to the Snyder stops for my Snyder skates. I mean you can use cheap but ...

Just my not so humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcire10 View Post
Ancient1.... Come to think about it, you are right! I've noticed that really good skaters at the rink have toe stops but I never put the 2 together. This is something for me to look into now.

Thanks for the info!!!
Old August 9th, 2018, 06:27 AM   #32
Oicusk82huh

Save your joints...
https://vimeo.com/260848354
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:11 AM   #33
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Save your joints...
https://vimeo.com/260848354
I like this but don't think it works that well, never using it I don't know for sure though.
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:36 PM   #34
Skatervideoguy

Hi Ancient1 & kcire10,

Thanks for your Compliments.

I normally do between 25 and 35 Spins of various positions per Session. Since my Left Knee stopped being nice a couple of years back, I've had to drop my Camels, Sit Spins, and Jumps.

kcire10 - I've always run Toe Stops, and like Ancient1, I've found the Synder Big Stoppers to be the Best of all others for me. I run my Stops about 1/4" off the Floor. Most folks run Stops a bit higher than that.

If you want to continue doing the Spins on your Toes, then Stoppers will hinder that. I've only seen a very few folks able to run Stoppers (All the way UP) and do the Toe Work. You must have very fine motor control to pull that off. I've also seen a few folks do many of the Jumps without Toe Stops. But most folks use the Stoppers to do Jumps.

A few folks I've seen put in Stoppers for FreeStyle, and then Put in Toe Plugs for the Toe Work, Dance, & Figures. That takes Abilities I don't have.

What ever works for YOU is what to do.

If you peruse my YouTube channel, you'll find a number of Skating Videos I've done over the years with many folks doing many Skating Moves you may find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgv...4D0wcsg/videos

Harold

Last edited by Skatervideoguy; August 12th, 2018 at 02:06 PM.
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:03 PM   #35
Ancient1

Hi Harold,
I usually have my toe stop at about half an Inch from the floor.